PDA

View Full Version : Best goof proof sling for LE use

wichaka
08-13-08, 19:46
Going to purchase slings for the entire dept. AR platform patrol rifles.

Looking for a sling that MOST everyone can use easily, as we all know not everyone practices with their firearms and related equipment.

Whatcha all think?

DHC45
08-13-08, 19:53
Personally, I like the VTAC 2-point sling. Easy to use, no loose ends hanging off. Blue Force Gear is a great company to work with as well. High marks for Ashley Burnsed; a true gentleman to work with.

I'd avoid the 3 point slings. Left-handed shooters will have a strap running right across the ejection port area of the weapon.

Delta1067
08-13-08, 20:18
I agree with DHC45. I use a Blue Force Gear VTAC 2- point sling at work. It is easy to adjust.

Stickman
08-13-08, 20:35
Personally, I like the VTAC 2-point sling. Easy to use, no loose ends hanging off. Blue Force Gear is a great company to work with as well. High marks for Ashley Burnsed; a true gentleman to work with.

Ashley is indeed a gentleman, however, it is worth pointing out, BLUE FORCE GEAR MAKES THE VCAS (VICKERS COMBAT APPLCIATIONS SLING).

The VCAS is made by Blue Force Gear, and was a cooperative effort between Sgt Vickers and Ashley Burnsed.

DHC45
08-13-08, 21:12
Ashley is indeed a gentleman, however, it is worth pointing out, BLUE FORCE GEAR MAKES THE VCAS (VICKERS COMBAT APPLCIATIONS SLING).

The VCAS is made by Blue Force Gear, and was a cooperative effort between Sgt Vickers and Ashley Burnsed.

Yup, typo on my part. Thanks Stickman. I meant VCAS.

That said, the VTAC is supposed to be a great sling, too, but I went with the VCAS due to no loose end hanging off...

markm
08-13-08, 21:20
The plain old IDF sling is cheap, versatile, and simple 2 point that can accomodate tactical carry modes as well as any standard 2 point carry.

ST911
08-13-08, 23:39
Rapidly adjustable 2-points are my preference, ala VTAC or BFG Vickers.

If outfitting an agency, the VTAC will be more cost effective. Several agencies I know have gone with the VTAC.

Be sure to include a training block on the sling.

wichaka
08-14-08, 02:01
As always there will be introduction, as well as ongoing training for every piece of equipment I issue...........just want to give the lowest denominator the best chance of retaining the proper use of the sling.

Cost is no factor here (how often do you hear that anymore?)........sorry if I didn't mention that before.

PRGGodfather
08-14-08, 02:09
+1 for the VTAC. Very simple and straight forward.

Are people going to be sharing rifles? That adds an ugly dimension for people, right side/left side, big/little, etc. In a perfect world, each officer would have his or her own rifle. Period.

As to the original question, I gotta say, there ain't no such thing as a "goof proof" sling for LE. It might easier to keep the goofs out of LE, but that's likely asking too much! :rolleyes:

You could give a cop two steel ball bearings and lock him with them into a hermetically sealed room -- and the cop would lose one and break the other. ;)

Just my $.02

wichaka
08-14-08, 05:52
Each Officer is issued a rifle, so no sharing.

HolyRoller
08-14-08, 09:16
As to the original question, I gotta say, there ain't no such thing as a "goof proof" sling for LE. It might easier to keep the goofs out of LE, but that's likely asking too much! :rolleyes:

You could give a cop two steel ball bearings and lock him with them into a hermetically sealed room -- and the cop would lose one and break the other. ;)
I've heard it told this way:

Put a cop in a small bare room, give him three bowling balls and make him sign for them, and lock the room. Come back in an hour and he'll have broken one, lost another, and swear to God he never got the third.

I have both a VCAS and a VTAC and they're both GTG but I prefer the VCAS from Blue Force Gear. The VCAS pull tab with short lanyard is easier for me to work than the string dealie on the other one.

Gunfighter13
08-14-08, 10:06
VTAC (not padded) is a little more versatile to me. The extra length of adjustment seems to work better for more officers. The VCAS (not padded) is also a good choice; I use one on my sub gun. On my Patrol rifle I use a VTAC.

RallySoob
08-14-08, 10:32
I love my VTAC... Altthough I have seen a sling that was ultra simple and can not find the link. It was just one loop that thread through the rear sling slot on the standard M4 stock. It was as simple as it could get.

Here is some good sling info for ya <- Covers all of them
http://www.militarymorons.com/weapons/ar.slings.html

SWATcop556
08-14-08, 12:58
Being a cop, yes we have the capability of being able to f**k up a hockey puck.

With this being said I would throw my vote to the BFG VCAS sling.

It the only sling I use on any of my rifles. All of mine have QD mounts and connectors too.

The VTAC sling is another good choice I just prefer the VCAS.

RD62
08-14-08, 18:19
Knowing how some depts are about $$$$

You may want to look into the BFG Victory sling. Same functionality of the VCAS, but only in black and uses a different slider for less cost.

-RD62

eightmillimeter
08-14-08, 21:17
The plain old IDF sling is cheap, versatile, and simple 2 point that can accomodate tactical carry modes as well as any standard 2 point carry.

Exactly!

bco175
08-14-08, 21:47
This is why I need to get out of LE. The guy in charge of purchasing an important part of the weapons system is asking random folks from the internet what would be appropriate for his officers. This is scary.

To answer your question, I like the VCAS for LE work. Singlepoints are not appropriate when it's time to go hands on, or when it's time to bust brush for an hour or 2 on a k9 track.

Do you work for the Cape Coral Police Department???

cobra90gt
08-14-08, 23:16
FWIW, I was quite pleased with my VTAC sling during patrol rifle school...

Buck
08-14-08, 23:38
Hands down, without question the Blueforce VCAS is the best sling made for a LE carbine ... period... Not even a discussion... Others will work, but the VCAS is the best one made...

B

POF.Ops
08-15-08, 00:02
This is why I need to get out of LE. The guy in charge of purchasing an important part of the weapons system is asking random folks from the internet what would be appropriate for his officers. This is scary.

To answer your question, I like the VCAS for LE work. Singlepoints are not appropriate when it's time to go hands on, or when it's time to bust brush for an hour or 2 on a k9 track.

Do you work for the Cape Coral Police Department???

Really? I think you should find another profession. The LEO is doing research and what better place than the internet? I'm no expert by any means and there are a lot of other people on this forum; LEO, Military, and civilian that obviously know a thing or two about AR systems. If you can't figure this out by reading some of the forums here then I don't know what to tell you!

I am not familiar with the VTAC but I like my VCAS but I had to mount the rear section at the end of the receiver with a CQD single/double mount to be happy with it. Butt stock mounts weren't as comfortable for me. So that is something to consider, just remember I am an ignorant civilian on a questionable internet forum. Oh, and I selected the VCAS because of what some other numbskulls said on the internet. :rolleyes:

wichaka
08-15-08, 01:51

I already know what I'm looking for, have my criteria set, cost is not a hinderance, so why not throw the question out and see what comes back?

I already had my eyes set on either the VTAC or the VCAS, but one never knows what else may be lurking out there. Seems equipment is like electronics.........you can't keep up with the new stuff coming out.

Soooooooo if putting out a question like this is scary for you enough to think about getting out of LE work, well then maybe this is your wake up call.

I put slings in the group of personal choice items...........like hand grips, sliding stocks etc. Everyone has their favorites, and everyone is built different.

Checout the pic thread, and you get so many variations of what people put on their guns..........personal choice.

So to ease your mind, we bought the Colt 6920 for our dept. , with Aimpoint ML3's, Magpul's CTR stock and MIAD grip..........whatcha think? Not too shabby eh?

No I don't work for Cape Coral P.D., never heard of them.............

I'm in WA State..................

HolyRoller
08-15-08, 09:56
You're absobleepinglutely right. We should not be relying on the internet, not even when many of us at this forum personally know each other and have trained together. All LEOs in charge of procurement should read only objective and proven intel sources, beginning with a trip to the grocery store for the latest Soldier of Fortune and Guns & Ammo, and ending with the Blackhawk and Galls and Chiefs catalogs that come free in the mail. They were good enough when I was growing up, why should you need anything else now?

Oh, and welcome to M4C.net. You may be pleasantly surprised at what you find here ... if you will but withhold judgment for a little while.

sff70
08-15-08, 10:06
BFG VCAS, all the way.

My guys who bought VTAC (due to cost) and tried the VCAS have ditched the VTAC.

The VCAS is wider, thus increases comfort level.

The adjustment on the VCAS is way, way, way easier to reach when wearing a duty belt or other kit.

My 2 cents.

ST911
08-15-08, 10:19
You're absobleepinglutely right. We should not be relying on the internet, not even when many of us at this forum personally know each other and have trained together. All LEOs in charge of procurement should read only objective and proven intel sources, beginning with a trip to the grocery store for the latest Soldier of Fortune and Guns & Ammo, and ending with the Blackhawk and Galls and Chiefs catalogs that come free in the mail. They were good enough when I was growing up, why should you need anything else now?

And don't forget calling manufacturers. They always tell the truth, the whole, truth, and nothing but the truth, devoid of marketing hype, and with meaningful contemplation of your real needs.

wichaka
08-15-08, 11:31
Yep, oldest ploy around.......make something, market it to the public so that they think they need it, and move in for the kill!

AR-15A3
08-15-08, 15:14
I'm not in LE but just a long time AR owner and I've got three slings that I use with my carbines, Blue Force Gear Vickers VCAS (standard and padded models), Viking Tactics-LaRue padded VTAC, and Gear Sector GS-2P, all of them two point slings.

My favorite all around sling is the Vickers VCAS sling, it's simpler to use because of just one strap to tighten and to release it, the webbing material are similar to the military webbing, I use the standard version on my lighter carbine and the padded model on my heavy carbine.

I prefer my Gear Sector GS-2P sling for my light carbines, they have a narrower 1" webbing but it's made out of 1" tube material so they really have a double thickness and as comfortable to wear like a wider standard 1.25" webbing, also the webbing material are smooth and slippery which are easier/ quicker to put on or remove from the body.

My Viking Tactics VTAC sling I like to use if I want to secure my carbine tight on my body if I'm using my arms or running, it's very easy and very quick to tighten by pulling it's adjustment end strap, but slightly slower releasing it with the release buckle, my Vickers sling are better when releasing.

Maybe get samples of these slings with how to use instructions from their manufacurers and have your officers evaluate them, then have them vote which sling is the most popular.

Sam
08-15-08, 15:50
For you folks in LE, be glad that your department allow slings on issued weapon to patrol officers. My friend works for a large department that issue AR but NO method of carrying spare magazines and FORBID sling, any sling.

ST911
08-15-08, 15:56
For you folks in LE, be glad that your department allow slings on issued weapon to patrol officers. My friend works for a large department that issue AR but NO method of carrying spare magazines and FORBID sling, any sling.

I've seen that in practice. The head of the agency made that policy to actively discourage employees from getting their long guns out. He felt that if he made it less easy to carry them around, they would only get them out when they were truly needed.

His lowest common denominators will one day leave a gun unattended somewhere, with adverse consequence. His statements have been noted for the aftermath.

wichaka
08-15-08, 20:49
Luckily I have a pro-firearms Chief. I'm also writing the dept. firearms policy, so that's a plus as well, get to make sure the troops get everything they need......by policy!

I have contacted both companies (VTAC & VCAS) to have them send me a sample............I will try both and have the troops try them as well........

Thanks for all the input........

PRGGodfather
08-15-08, 21:16
Luckily I have a pro-firearms Chief. I'm also writing the dept. firearms policy, so that's a plus as well, get to make sure the troops get everything they need......by policy!

I have contacted both companies (VTAC & VCAS) to have them send me a sample............I will try both and have the troops try them as well........

God bless you, brother!

shootmovecomm
08-15-08, 21:54
I am a true single point sling fan and I write this post reply from a function stand point not a comfort stand point. I have used two point slings and three point slings during various enforcement operations and protection details. It's my experience that whether you are wearing a suit, are in"plain clothes," or some sort of uniform with a kit it is less material to catch and snag than the other mentioned slings. In my opinion and only my opinion it does not tend to get hung up on interior vehicle door handles, cramped helicopter passenger compartments, weapons racks (if stored properly) externally worn communication related wires/cables on hand held radios and other uniform or kit related items.

It still gives the ability to get the weapon out of the way in an expediant manner if you have to go "hands on." To be completely frank about the matter related to going "hands on," if while operating an M4 type weapon in an entry or enforcement situation and a subject aggresses to the point that they lunge, attempt to grab, or grab that rifle they will be/should be muzzle stroked until their action in which they have intiated has been detered through pain compliance. With the exception that the situation has not escalated into the use of deadly force. Then all bets are off.

In what I do I am required to clear attics, crawl spaces under homes, climb through windows, and over fences (chain link, privacy, farm, etc.) and track behind blood hounds. The single point sling in these environments has never proven anymore problematic than a 2 point sling for me. I would stay far away from 3 point slings, they get in the way of everything. Rocky Mountain Tactical has a decent selection and they are easy people to deal with. They appear to be a small business and care about the product they put forth. Just my experience and opinion only.

POF.Ops
08-16-08, 00:44
I've seen that in practice. The head of the agency made that policy to actively discourage employees from getting their long guns out. He felt that if he made it less easy to carry them around, they would only get them out when they were truly needed.

His lowest common denominators will one day leave a gun unattended somewhere, with adverse consequence. His statements have been noted for the aftermath.

I's really too bad when politics outweighs common sense especially with something that has the potential for grave consequences. Unfortunately another example of the lunacy prevalent in those with authority.

shootmovecomm
08-16-08, 08:49

I would agree with Skintop911 as to document, document, document, so that when an incident where one of those rifles are not deployed and the tide turns in the wrong favor and now it's the world turned upside down maybe that clown can be sent packing down the road. I would venture to guess that he or she will not and does not support outside training for teaching LEO's how to utilize an M4/AR15 platform.

jl2
08-16-08, 11:25
Our dept is using a 1 point sling. We went with those for ease of use and cost. Started out making our own to keep the cost down until we were sure they would work out. Besides them just disappearing, they are working out well. We don't have individual carbines and the guns are locked in a rack inside the vehicle.

HolyRoller
08-16-08, 14:45
Could be that some anti-sling policies are actually well-meant, and hark back to the days when slings were only administrative carry straps attached at the fore-end and stock toe, dangling in front of the rifle at high ready. Then the imagination wandered to the bad guy hiding around the next corner, popping up and looping an arm through the sling, and relieving the officer of his longarm.

Not so easy with a modern sling modernly used--but try to sell your average firearms instructor on hanging your carbine muzzle-down instead of the hallowed range command "with your weapons at port arms, advance to the 75 yard line ..."

PRGGodfather
08-16-08, 16:03
Most ARE well-meant, but is also because a lot of administrators get stuck in old perspectives -- because the do not really conduct ongoing training or study. Knowledge is a barrier to learning.

We have some chiefs who will not attend the current Regional Patrol Rifle program, because they say they used M16A1's when they were on SWAT some 20+ years ago.

Now, it is certainly isn't likely they will deploy the rifle from their desks -- but what happened to leadership by example? How do they expect the troops to train seriously, if they decline to train, as well? Worst, some refuse to listen at all -- and that's how some of these well-intentioned, yet STUPID policies come into being.

While the rifle's operating system has not changed, it is safe to say that many things have changed -- techniques, equipment, ammunition consideration, etc. -- and it would not hurt to take another course in the first place.

The hardest person to teach anything is someone who thinks he already knows.

Could be that some anti-sling policies are actually well-meant, and hark back to the days when slings were only administrative carry straps attached at the fore-end and stock toe, dangling in front of the rifle at high ready. Then the imagination wandered to the bad guy hiding around the next corner, popping up and looping an arm through the sling, and relieving the officer of his longarm.

Not so easy with a modern sling modernly used--but try to sell your average firearms instructor on hanging your carbine muzzle-down instead of the hallowed range command "with your weapons at port arms, advance to the 75 yard line ..."

ARin
08-16-08, 17:55
I am a true single point sling fan and I write this post reply from a function stand point not a comfort stand point. I have used two point slings and three point slings during various enforcement operations and protection details. It's my experience that whether you are wearing a suit, are in"plain clothes," or some sort of uniform with a kit it is less material to catch and snag than the other mentioned slings. In my opinion and only my opinion it does not tend to get hung up on interior vehicle door handles, cramped helicopter passenger compartments, weapons racks (if stored properly) externally worn communication related wires/cables on hand held radios and other uniform or kit related items.

It still gives the ability to get the weapon out of the way in an expediant manner if you have to go "hands on." To be completely frank about the matter related to going "hands on," if while operating an M4 type weapon in an entry or enforcement situation and a subject aggresses to the point that they lunge, attempt to grab, or grab that rifle they will be/should be muzzle stroked until their action in which they have intiated has been detered through pain compliance. With the exception that the situation has not escalated into the use of deadly force. Then all bets are off.

In what I do I am required to clear attics, crawl spaces under homes, climb through windows, and over fences (chain link, privacy, farm, etc.) and track behind blood hounds. The single point sling in these environments has never proven anymore problematic than a 2 point sling for me. I would stay far away from 3 point slings, they get in the way of everything. Rocky Mountain Tactical has a decent selection and they are easy people to deal with. They appear to be a small business and care about the product they put forth. Just my experience and opinion only.

rocky mountain tactical is a douche and a thief.

and single points pretty much suck for anything but the most specific tactical situations.

shootmovecomm
08-16-08, 18:15
rocky mountain tactical is a douche and a thief.

and single points pretty much suck for anything but the most specific tactical situations.

By all means, specifics on both topics. It sounds as if this is an experienced based statement.

Sam
08-16-08, 20:09
By all means, specifics on both topics. It sounds as if this is an experienced based statement.

Rocky mount slings were supposedly a direct copy of another sling.

ARin
08-16-08, 20:26
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=14516&highlight=rocky+mountain&page=2

shootmovecomm
08-16-08, 21:39
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=14516&highlight=rocky+mountain&page=2

I appreciate the heads up and will pass it along.

MX5
08-17-08, 15:32
VCAS. I was using VTAC until Larry Vickers gave me one of his slings. It's similar, but much improved. I still use the VTAC on some of my training weapons & the VCAS is attached to the work guns. I was given a new VTAC yesterday for T&E - it doesn't have the long "tail". I still use Giles single points for some special applications, but the BFG VCAS gets my vote.

marylandsniper
08-31-08, 12:03

Put a cop in a small bare room, give him three bowling balls and make him sign for them, and lock the room. Come back in an hour and he'll have broken one, lost another, and swear to God he never got the third.

I have both a VCAS and a VTAC and they're both GTG but I prefer the VCAS from Blue Force Gear. The VCAS pull tab with short lanyard is easier for me to work than the string dealie on the other one.

I do not know what you are talking about...Honestly, I am quite offended by this comment, due to the fact that I am never issued more than 2 items and only swear to god that I received "1". I want to be issued 3!!!!!!!:D

GLOCKMASTER
08-31-08, 12:20
We just put 22 rifles back on the road. Those rifles were equipped with VTAC slings. After three days of initial training all the Troopers really liked the VTAC. When we purchase the next group of rifles, they will also be outfitted with VTAC slings. I also have several VTAC's on my personal rifles and really like them.

I have used the Vicker's sling and like it as well however, I just prefer the VTAC. Both are great slings.

Blankwaffe
08-31-08, 17:36
I just put a Vickers sling on my LMT and personally think its about as goof proof as a man could find.
I have been using a couple different brands of 3-point slings for many years and have to say the Vickers is a much improved sling.
I would highly recommend it.

demusn1979
08-31-08, 19:29
Boonie Packer under 20.00 shipped,
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b317/demusn79/th_Stash003-1.jpg (http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b317/demusn79/Stash003-1.jpg)
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b317/demusn79/th_Stash002-1.jpg (http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b317/demusn79/Stash002-1.jpg)
If you can mount studs it comes with QD swivels.
Wide and rubber sewn in so it wont slide around.

R1pper
09-01-08, 19:40
We have the VTAC on our 870's at work and our rifles are personal choice. I run the VCAS on my 16 and it is by far better than the VTAC. The VTAC is a narrower sling and is more difficult to adjust on the fly and when you tighten it for cross body you have an annoying tail. The VCAS is much wider and by far easier to adjust.

I get bitched out by the MSGT on a weekly basis because I dislike the VTAC so much that I only arm out with my 16 and M9 while working as the IEC, and we are supposed to arm out with the 870/M9 while on the gate.

-DM-

wichaka
09-02-08, 00:14
I received the T&E sample from VTAC, haven't got the VCAS specimen yet

msap
09-02-08, 14:29
I have the VCAS for my issue carbine and my personal carbine. I have no complaints for it. I don't have any experience with the VTAC.

fabulous45s
09-05-08, 16:58

That one is good. :D

I'm used to the Marine version: If you lock a Marine in a room with a bowling ball, one or all of these things will happen: He'll eat it, break it, or....um, copulate with it.

Back on topic. I'm all about the VCAS too.

Shihan
09-05-08, 18:09
I didnt read through the whole thread but Gear Sector makes a top quality product at a more than decent price. Jason the owner is also a stand up guy. Blue force makes a great product as well but on all of my weapons I go with Gear Sector.

Patrick Aherne
09-05-08, 23:35
VTAC is cheaper and faster to adjust. However, when the tail of that sling gets caught behind your trigger and prevents a bang when you need one, you will swear off the VTAC. BFG VCAS is the way to go. BFG single points work well for hop out of the car, run around with a rifle, type-stuff.

The only problem with the BFG single-points if they will wear out if you use them for a bunch of carbine classes and SWAT school. Ask me how I know. The Fastek buckles take a sh!t and fail. In regular patrol use they will last for many years.

PRGGodfather
09-06-08, 00:52
Both are the VCAS and VTAC are good slings. I have both of them.

I prefer the VTAC's nylon material to the cotton-like fabric of the VCAS.
I prefer the VCAS' lack of a tail (although you really have to try really hard to get a VTAC tail caught behind your trigger).
I prefer the VCAS' single tab vs. having two locations to manipulate for shortening and lengthening.
I prefer how the VTAC snugs up better when secured against the body.

I'd be happy with whatever sling you gave me and find a way to make it work.

A classic preferences argument.

Let people use what they want.

USMC03
09-07-08, 14:57
Of all the designs that I have used I prefer the Blue Force Gear Vickers Combat Applications Sling (VCAS) 2 point over all others.

The easy adjustable 2 point sling (like the Vickers and VTAC) have a combination of the pros of both of the single and 3 point sling, but very few of the "cons" of a single point sling or 3 point sling design.

The thing I like about the Blue Force Gear Vickers (VCAS) sling is the ability of placement on the gun. With a 3 point sling the front attachment is in the area of the front sight post and the rear attachment is on the rear of the stock. With a Single Point sling both the front and rear attachment are at the same location (generally), where the receiver extention (or stock) meets up with the lower receiver.

With the 2 point sling you can use several different location points. For the front attachment if you have a railed handguard you can place the front from as far forward as the front sight post or as far back as the delta ring or anywhere in between. With the rear attachment you can use either a Single Point Sling Plate or can attach it to the buttstock.

I perfer the front attachment of the sling near the delta ring (the location where the LaRue rails have the quick detach sling socket attachment hole) and the rear of the sling attached toward the rear of the buttstock.

The pro's of the Blue Force Gear VCAS sling is when the carbine is in the ready position, the VCAS gives you the freedom of movement of the single point sling, no extra straps to get in the way, doesn't get hung up on gear, etc.

In the down postion the gun lies diagonally across your body just like a 3 point. This makes walking easier, gun doesn't hit the shooter when he transitions to pistol. If performing tasks with your hands you can move the gun to your back and it retains well like a 3 point sling.

The adjustment on the Blue Force Gear VCAS sling is very quick and very easy. This lets the shooter have as much freedom or retention as he needs.

The only con that I have found is it's not as good to transition from one shoulder to the other with the Vickers sling (compared to a single point), but it's much easier than a 3 point.

The Blue Force Gear Vickers (VCAS) sling is the optimum sling for Patrol, SWAT, civilian or competition use in my opinion based on the different sling set ups that I have used over the years.

I've been using the Blue Force Gear VCAS sling on all of my AR's and Benelli shot guns for over 2 years and I haven't found anything that I haven't liked about the Vickers sling yet.

If budget is an issue, take a look at the Blue Force Gear Victory Series VCAS. It's an economy version of the standard VCAS.

S/F,
Jeff

austinN4
09-07-08, 19:22
The only con that I have found is it's not as good to transition from one shoulder to the other with the Vickers sling (compared to a single point), but it's much easier than a 3 point.
That is because of where you attach the rear of the sling toward the rear of the buttstock. If you attach the rear of the sling at the lower receiver endplate it transitions more like a single point.

USMC03
09-14-08, 21:25
I wrote this back in May, but thought it may have some relevance here:

I was talking to Ashley Burnsed at Blue Force Gear a year or so ago about something unrelated and he asked what I thought of a padded version of his VCAS sling.

At the time I told him in my opinion a padded version was not needed.

A few months ago I tried one and I simply didn't know what I didn't know. I was so impressed with the padded version that I'm in the process of changing ALL of my VCAS slings over to the padded version.

The padded portion of the sling won't chaff exposed skin, it slides over gear more easily (not that I ever had a problem with the standard VCAS, but the padded version slides over gear more easliy), no buckles on the portion of the sling that goes over your shoulder and around your back, etc.

Both the padded and un-padded VCAS slings are awesome, but for me after trying both, I much prefer the padded version.

Pics of my using the padded version in Pat Rogers class last weekend are posted on page 52 in the "AR Picture Thread" that is tacked at the top of this section.

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk99/USMC03_photos/FDE%20LMT/IMG_0380.jpg

S/F,
Jeff

George Mac
09-14-08, 21:38
Years back we had the wilderness three points to which I preferred a standard two point canvass web sling.

Now we have more than 100 or so carbines in use. The VTAC Padded sling is part of the standard configuration. I have not met an officer that did not thoroughly like it. I have been using one for several years and am very satisfied.

wichaka
09-14-08, 23:18
I finally received the VCAS padded sample sling. I have attached it to a 6920, using the standard side sling that attaches to the barrel under the fsb. The rear I have attached to a Magpul CTR stock, using the webbing, not a swivel.

The VTAC snugs up close to the body for hands on type of applications we would face on the street, but the padded VCAS does not. It snugs up, but not tight like the VTAC does.

I have been emailing with Ashley about it. He says they offer a shortened version of the padded model. I have requested that one, hopefully I'll be able to make a better decision once that one arrives.