PDA

View Full Version : Glocks and plated bullets

Mark/MO
08-13-08, 20:29
Reading that lead bullets and Glocks are a no-no I have always shot only jacketed bullets. What about the plated bullets such as Rainier, Berry's, etc? Are they the same as a standard jacketed bullet? I would assume so but wondered what everyone else thought. I have no experience with them. Is there any reason to avoid them in my Glock 19?

BB01
08-17-08, 15:27
In my experience both brands you mentioned tumbled when shot out of Glocks. I would stick with jacketed bullets. I prefer www.zerobullets.com

Mark/MO
08-18-08, 21:07
Thanks for the warning, I appreciate it. I have always shot Remington or Winchester bulk bullets in the past for USPSA.

zac4551
08-20-08, 10:43
With their price increases they are now more than you can find jacketed bullets for, what caliber do you shoot ?

Paulinski
08-20-08, 10:49
I shot Berrys plated out of my 9mm 1911 and 9mm AR with no ill effects.

Friday I'm going to take my G19 and give them a try.

I load my 9mm a little hot 4.8 grains of 231 with 124gr Berry.

markm
08-20-08, 11:08
I've shot plenty of 9mm plated bullets from my glock. No problems. There might be a little accuracy loss, but it's not too noticeable.

If you look on Berrys site, you'll see that the plated bullets are fine for glock barrels. I've never experienced and bullet tumbling with berrys bullets.

Mark/MO
08-20-08, 19:14
Thanks for the advice. With the current prices of bullets I've been looking at viable options for "playing games". I simply compete in USPSA and IDPA for the practice so a very small accuracy drop wouldn't be a deal breaker, at least for me.
BTW I'm shooting 9mm.

markm
08-20-08, 20:34
The match shooter dude I know uses .45 ACP plated bullets without issue too.....

I just remembered that tid bit.

DarrinD
08-20-08, 20:54
Thanks for the advice. With the current prices of bullets I've been looking at viable options for "playing games". I simply compete in USPSA and IDPA for the practice so a very small accuracy drop wouldn't be a deal breaker, at least for me.
BTW I'm shooting 9mm.

The moderator of Handguns turned me on to CCI Blazer 9mm with the aluminum cases. If you know where to look they are as cheap as you can get for good ammo that is also nearly as accurate as premium ammo for IDPA type shooting. And if it's a Glock, it should never have a problem feeding. I've also used PMC but not at the low price you can get the CCI's for.

andre3k
08-20-08, 21:32
I've shot plenty of berrys with no problems out of my glocks. Didn't notice any difference in accuracy either, but i was shooting IDPA.

ToddG
08-20-08, 22:10
FWIW, with shipping you will pay in the neighborhood of 0.16-0.18 per round for 9mm Blazer.

I still remember when I used to get it from the manufacturer for about $65 per case (1000) delivered. :mad:

chadbag
08-21-08, 00:17
Also check out http://www.montanagoldbullet.com/

They are NOT plated but jacketed, and only about 1.6 cents per bullet more than Berrys for 9mm 124gr in qty 1000.

(I am not affiliated with them)

markm
08-21-08, 08:38
Also check out http://www.montanagoldbullet.com/

They are NOT plated but jacketed, and only about 1.6 cents per bullet more than Berrys for 9mm 124gr in qty 1000.

(I am not affiliated with them)

I have a buddy who used those bullets. He seems to be happy with them.

Kevin
08-21-08, 09:51
I used Berry's .40's in Glocks and a Para exclusively for a year or two...maybe 5-8K or so. No problems, except that they seemed sensitive to OAL.

Berry's website is a little decieving...they don't add their "lead surcharge" until you check out, whereas with Montana Gold, Precision and Zero the price you see is the shipped price. Directly from Berry's website, emphasis mine:

"Due to the escalating costs of lead and copper, we have implemented a lead surcharge. This charge is currently $1.30 per pound on purchases of bullets only. (i.e. An extra $20.80 on 1000 115gr bullets, etc.). The appropriate surcharge will be added to your invoice if you are purchasing bullets. If you have any questions, please contact us."

With the price increases of the last few years, Berry's are now only a few bucks less than Zero's, Precision or MG, so I shoot those.

I just bought 2,500 Precision bullets. http://www.precisionbullets.com/ (Be careful, "Precision Delta" is out there, too. Two different companies.)

Precision is moly or "poly" coated lead. Substantial cost savings over Berry's or jacketed. Only preliminary testing done with them now, just a couple hundred for function and chronographing but so far they're OK. I used MasterBlasters for a couple years;they're out of business now, but they were the same type of "poly" coated lead as Precision. I shot thousands upon thousands MB's with no problems at all, so I'm expecting Precision's will be fine.