PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing a new forged lower

Red falcon
01-26-16, 13:47
I'm in the market for purchasing a new forged lower to SBR. Since I will be "marrying" this lower for life, "in sickness and in health," I'd like to purchase one that's in spec with the least chance of having an issue. I have purchased S&W, Colt, Anderson, and Omega lowers in the past and the best one I've experienced was the Omega. The Anderson's were out of spec in the FCG slot. Nothing was noticeably wrong with the S&W or Colt. The Omega seemed to have nicer features such as the set screw tensioner and also a textured front magwell. If you were to SBR a particular forged lower, which brand/model would you go with and why?

I'd appreciate your input, thank you guys!

themonk
01-26-16, 14:08
Doesn't really matter as long as you follow this guide as you are going to check it for spec prior to submitting your paperwork - https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?9830-How-to-SBR-Your-Lower-by-Scottryan

My choices would be Noveske, LMT, or Umbrella if you can find them.

I would add - search! There is a ton of data on this subject here.

stahljaeger
01-26-16, 14:32
I really like the S&W sport lowers, forged yet with a integrated expanded trigger guard, that eliminates a known failure point. It can be engraved on the trigger guard easily too. I think you can only find them in complete rifles though and otherwise the sport takes a lot of shortcuts.

I only have blem PSA lowers currently, and all have been in spec with no apparent flaws. That being said I think I have heard of others having issues with them.

Whatever you buy check it for function before you submit your paperwork.

Red falcon
01-26-16, 14:44
Thank you themonk. I have searched for recent threads concerning this topic, most of the information I've read is 3-7 years old (sorted by date relevance). As you know manufacturers will have varying levels of QC at different periods of time, it'd be nice to get some feedback from guys who purchased lowers recently. I'm not brand specific, I'd like to know what guys are going with these days and why they prefer it.

Hey stahljaeger, thanks for your input! I like the one piece forged S&W lower as well, the Smith I had didn't have that feature but it'd be nice. Seems like they're one of the few forged options to have an integrated trigger guard.

themonk
01-26-16, 15:06
Thank you themonk. I have searched for recent threads concerning this topic, most of the information I've read is 3-7 years old (sorted by date relevance). As you know manufacturers will have varying levels of QC at different periods of time, it'd be nice to get some feedback from guys who purchased lowers recently. I'm not brand specific, I'd like to know what guys are going with these days and why they prefer it.

Hey stahljaeger, thanks for your input! I like the one piece forged S&W lower as well, the Smith I had didn't have that feature but it'd be nice. Seems like they're one of the few forged options to have an integrated trigger guard.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?170589-How-do-you-decide-which-lower-to-SBR

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?165633-Looking-for-advice-on-my-SBR-build

Red falcon
01-26-16, 15:45
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?170589-How-do-you-decide-which-lower-to-SBR
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?165633-Looking-for-advice-on-my-SBR-build
There's some helpful information! Thank you, and I apologise for not finding that earlier. Do you own the LMT? What sets them aside from most of the other offerings? I read you really liked the Umbrella Corp lower. What do you mean by "rollmarks"?

themonk
01-26-16, 16:18
Yes, I own an LMT. They make excellent rifles. LMT sells lowers and colt does not. Colt would be the way to go as it's the definition of milspec. A lot of guys buy colt 6920s just for the lowers and sell the uppers. LMT lowers are in spec and have an excellent lower parts kits pre installed in them. Great company that stands behind their products. You can find LMT lowers in the $350 range. replace the stock and IMO you have one of the best lowers you can get with an excellent LPK already installed.

The roll mark is the logo on the lower. Noveske has the Iron Cross, Umbrella has an umbrella, spikes has all their different zombies and pirates crap. Whatever makes you happy. You can pick up an SBR that is a perfect tool that you love and then there are SBRs that mean something extra + the fact they were built properly and to spec. One of my SBrs is a Umbrella lower and I got it as my Virginia gun. If and when I move out of the state I will have a lower made in VA beach and that will have memories attached.

officerX
01-26-16, 20:51
I chose BCM.

Ryno12
01-26-16, 21:08
LMT sells lowers and colt does not. Colt would be the way to go as it's the definition of milspec.

SAW sells factory stripped Colt lowers.

Zirk208
01-26-16, 21:12

For $300-400.

jackblack73
01-26-16, 21:13
I've got my second Mega Gator on the way. I have complete confidence in it.

themonk
01-27-16, 06:04

Holy crap, when did they start doing that? I still think that LMT is a better deal because they are built out but that is an exciting development!

Tigereye
01-27-16, 06:11
I've got Noveske Gen2 chainsaw (blem) and a Mega Gator. Just make sure it works before submitting Form 1.

Ryno12
01-27-16, 08:21
Holy crap, when did they start doing that? I still think that LMT is a better deal because they are built out but that is an exciting development!

Not sure. I bought one a year or two ago and it was sealed in a factory marked bag (typical of other Colt parts) & it was clearly never assembled. Expensive though.

wct097
01-27-16, 11:18
I went with a Noveske Gen II for my first SBR for the same reasons the OP mentioned.... married to it for life, etc. My subsequent SBRs were built on PSA blems.

My way of thinking about it:

* I have issues with fit being too tight between the Noveske and the Vlt0r upper, even after getting the upper replaced by Vlt0r and assured that it's in spec. Unfortunately the Form 1 was already in flight and the lower was already engraved, otherwise I'd have replaced the lower too.

* You're not married to the gun, just the lower. If I ever decide that I don't want to use my SBR(s) in the future, it's far easier to sell off the components and keep the Form 1'd lower. With that in mind, it's easier to sell off all but a $50 lower than to sell off all but a $200-300 lower to maximize the cash value. I think about this not specifically for my needs of needing cash out of my guns but also for the future. If I die or get sick and want to maximize the cash that my family can get out of my collection, I'll instruct them to sell off the SBR components rather than fussing with NFA for selling the complete setup.

* If anything, defacing a lower with engraving and having it be harder to sell in the future as a Form 1 SBR is easier to stomach with a cheap lower than with a more expensive one.

* I firmly believe that a lower is a lower provided that it's in spec. I don't bother measuring things or fretting over the thickness of the walls on the FCG being a few thousand out. I'm only concerned with the FCG functioning properly, the mags dropping free, and the upper fitting well.

Just my $0.02.

Red falcon
01-27-16, 12:55
Yes, I own an LMT. They make excellent rifles. LMT sells lowers and colt does not. Colt would be the way to go as it's the definition of milspec. A lot of guys buy colt 6920s just for the lowers and sell the uppers. LMT lowers are in spec and have an excellent lower parts kits pre installed in them. Great company that stands behind their products. You can find LMT lowers in the $350 range. replace the stock and IMO you have one of the best lowers you can get with an excellent LPK already installed.

The roll mark is the logo on the lower. Noveske has the Iron Cross, Umbrella has an umbrella, spikes has all their different zombies and pirates crap. Whatever makes you happy. You can pick up an SBR that is a perfect tool that you love and then there are SBRs that mean something extra + the fact they were built properly and to spec. One of my SBrs is a Umbrella lower and I got it as my Virginia gun. If and when I move out of the state I will have a lower made in VA beach and that will have memories attached.
That really changes my perspective on which one to go with, not to go after function only but something that's special to the end-user. I just checked out the LMTs, they look like a pretty promising option, not sure I care for the roll mark but it's definitely more classy than zombies and pirates haha.

I've got Noveske Gen2 chainsaw (blem) and a Mega Gator. Just make sure it works before submitting Form 1.
How do you like the Mega in comparison to the Noveske?

I went with a Noveske Gen II for my first SBR for the same reasons the OP mentioned.... married to it for life, etc. My subsequent SBRs were built on PSA blems.

My way of thinking about it:

* I have issues with fit being too tight between the Noveske and the Vlt0r upper, even after getting the upper replaced by Vlt0r and assured that it's in spec. Unfortunately the Form 1 was already in flight and the lower was already engraved, otherwise I'd have replaced the lower too.

* You're not married to the gun, just the lower. If I ever decide that I don't want to use my SBR(s) in the future, it's far easier to sell off the components and keep the Form 1'd lower. With that in mind, it's easier to sell off all but a $50 lower than to sell off all but a $200-300 lower to maximize the cash value. I think about this not specifically for my needs of needing cash out of my guns but also for the future. If I die or get sick and want to maximize the cash that my family can get out of my collection, I'll instruct them to sell off the SBR components rather than fussing with NFA for selling the complete setup.

* If anything, defacing a lower with engraving and having it be harder to sell in the future as a Form 1 SBR is easier to stomach with a cheap lower than with a more expensive one.

* I firmly believe that a lower is a lower provided that it's in spec. I don't bother measuring things or fretting over the thickness of the walls on the FCG being a few thousand out. I'm only concerned with the FCG functioning properly, the mags dropping free, and the upper fitting well.

Just my $0.02.
Lots of good points, thank you!