PDA

View Full Version : Rounded Glock front sight swap

DirectTo
01-26-16, 15:50
So I picked up a like-new Gen 3 Glock 22 with a brand new 9mm conversion barrel for a song a few days ago. It's been shot very little from what I can tell, but the front night sight on it is dead and also missing the white ring around it (Trijicon). For simplicity/training sakes, I want the sight picture to match all my other Glocks.

The previous owner appears to have attempted to remove it and has completely rounded off the screw head (so I'm guessing there's also thread lock on it).

Any ideas on removing this cleanly before I go Dremel'ing into a vial of lightly radioactive material?

ChaseN
01-26-16, 16:12
I've had luck drilling it out from the bottom before. I bought a glock in similar shape to yours and found that after about 15 seconds of drilling with a smallish bit, the "head" disintegrated right off the shaft of the screw and I was able to pull the sight off. Came nowhere near the tritium vial.

crazymoose
01-26-16, 22:38
Better keep a six pack of tritium antidote handy, just in case.

kantstudien
01-27-16, 01:42
There's probably red loctite on it if it was installed correctly in the first place. It would also explain why the screw head got rounded off. You will need to apply some heat to the screw before getting it off.

MStarmer
01-27-16, 10:43
You can probably place the slide in a sturdy vice upside down. Take an old flat bladed screwdriver and place it against the screw and give it a whack with a hammer. The screw is pretty small and should just shear off, then remove front sight from the top (if it hasn't fallen out already).

Or just use a dremmel and cut a slot in the screw and use a flat bladed screwdriver to unscrew it.

MStarmer
01-31-16, 10:40
I need closure, did you get it out?

DirectTo
01-31-16, 15:20
I need closure, did you get it out?
Did just an hour or so ago. Used a drill press with a small bit to start then a larger bit (maybe 1/4", didn't really look). Drilled just enough to get through the head of the screw without touching the slide, then flipped it over and grabbed the sight itself with pliars and it came right out. Found red thread locker under the head once everything was removed.

New Trijicon on it now.

Thanks for the input everyone.

http://i.imgur.com/gCtNOgk.jpg

Guns-up.50
01-31-16, 15:29
The scew head doesn't look rounded too bad were you using a glock fs tool?

DirectTo
01-31-16, 16:04
The scew head doesn't look rounded too bad were you using a glock fs tool?
Yeah, unfortunately my tool is one of the short cheap aluminum ones you can't get much of a grip on to apply any real force. I ordered an extended one a couple of days ago. With the red Loctite I'm not sure whether I could have just twisted it off with the new tool, so I went ahead and drilled it out while I had access to the press.

Slvr Surfr
02-07-16, 17:21
Nice!

Did just an hour or so ago. Used a drill press with a small bit to start then a larger bit (maybe 1/4", didn't really look). Drilled just enough to get through the head of the screw without touching the slide, then flipped it over and grabbed the sight itself with pliars and it came right out. Found red thread locker under the head once everything was removed.

New Trijicon on it now.

Thanks for the input everyone.