PDA

View Full Version : ROCKETS

williejc
01-26-16, 18:43
My house is 15 miles from a rocket testing facility, and as I type this, my house is shaking, the ground is trembling, and I am hearing a loud roar. Such is not infrequent. If there are rocket scientists among us, can anybody explain how such a machine can be anchored and tested without flying off its moorings? Around here a lot of stuff blows up.

SteyrAUG
01-26-16, 18:51
Hope you got a good deal on your house.

Mauser KAR98K
01-26-16, 20:18
Lots of big mutha****ing bolts.

Lived in Port Saint John, FL.

MegademiC
01-26-16, 20:29
Lots of big mutha****ing bolts.

Lived in Port Saint John, FL.

And physics.

I had the pleasure of walking through Glenn Research Center. All of the stuff i saw was small scale testing and it was still impressive. They didn't do any tests when we were there. The pieces to hold the engines are massive compared to the engines themselves and it looks like a lot of time went into designing them (duh?). Sometimes they break loose. The facility is designed to accommodate that and not kill someone in the next building.

SilverBullet432
01-26-16, 21:19
If you don't like it, move :jester: just like people bitching about the drilling rigs..

GH41
01-27-16, 06:17
If you don't like it, move :jester: just like people bitching about the drilling rigs..

It's not that easy. To start with... His property is probably worth considerably less than it was before SpaceX came along.

Straight Shooter
01-27-16, 10:01
I live across the road from Redstone Arsenal in Huntsville Al....about every Friday they are booming & blowing up or testing stuff over there, its rattles the apartment buildings pretty good sometimes.
Every time I hear & feel it, I think..HELL YEAH..'MERICA.

Airhasz
01-27-16, 10:34

Easy to say, until it happens to YOU.

Straight Shooter
01-27-16, 10:38

I don't see where he was "bitching" about anything, just asking a question. Its responses like this that get SHIT started.

SilverBullet432
01-27-16, 11:03
Easy to say, until it happens to YOU.

There are several oil wells less than 200 yards from my house. Sometimes they stink, but oh well.

SilverBullet432
01-27-16, 11:04
I don't see where he was "bitching" about anything, just asking a question. Its responses like this that get SHIT started.

Im not trying to start anything. Apologies if it was directed that way.

SilverBullet432
01-27-16, 11:05
My house is 15 miles from a rocket testing facility, and as I type this, my house is shaking, the ground is trembling, and I am hearing a loud roar. Such is not infrequent. If there are rocket scientists among us, can anybody explain how such a machine can be anchored and tested without flying off its moorings? Around here a lot of stuff blows up.

I did see you are in Tx? Where? Only places i know of are Blue origin out in the sticks of Van Horn and XCOR here in Midland but they haven't started anything there yet. BO just tested again the other day..

nova3930
01-27-16, 12:03
If there are rocket scientists among us, can anybody explain how such a machine can be anchored and tested without flying off its moorings?

Since technically my degree is aerospace engineering and I did take rocket propulsion in college I guess I fit the definition of "rocket scientist" even though I'm just a glorified paper pusher now.

Depends on the setup. I've seen some test rigs for solid rockets that were vertical ie the rocket was pushing down into the ground. Mother earth doesn't move much.

I've seen some that were horizontal, pushing on a huge block of concrete sunk deep in the ground.

The test stands here are marshall were designed for J2s on the Saturn V and they test upward. They are massive concrete and steel structures and the engines aren't moored so much as hung from covered over areas in the test stand....

wildcard600
01-27-16, 14:46
Alien technology recovered from the Roswell crash. X-Files isn't a TV show, it's a documentary and was filmed in real time.

Averageman
01-27-16, 15:18
I live across the road from Redstone Arsenal in Huntsville Al....about every Friday they are booming & blowing up or testing stuff over there, its rattles the apartment buildings pretty good sometimes.

I live off to the side of Ft Hood, the artillery occasionally shakes the hell out of my House. I understand where you're coming from, but have to agree..
Hell Yeah,.. America!!

nova3930
01-27-16, 15:56

How's zierdt Rd these days? I used to live there when I first got married.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

williejc
01-27-16, 18:06
The rocket testing facility is in McGregor, TX and was once owned by the same Hercules that made Unique, Red Dot, Green Dot, and a few other powders--all of which were made elsewhere. Hercules used the facility to make rockets fired from planes during aerial combat. The facility's size is extremely large and a few thousand(1-5,?)acres in area. Hercules donated it to McGregor. The cynic in me says that H avoided a big environmental clean up fee.

I feel pride when a big motor cranks up.
No offense taken from Silver, who did include a jester smiley showing no harm meant.

Straight Shooter
01-27-16, 18:55
How's zierdt Rd these days? I used to live there when I first got married.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Ha..yep, Im on Zeirdt alright! Its a goat screw now..four laning it and adding a 300+ acre shopping center right where it and Madison Blvd meet. gonna take years to complete.
Just today..the arsenal was blowing up stuff all day long, but it was just a small rumble about every 15-30 minutes.
Somedays...itll set off car alarms here.

nova3930
01-27-16, 21:24
Ha..yep, Im on Zeirdt alright! Its a goat screw now..four laning it and adding a 300+ acre shopping center right where it and Madison Blvd meet. gonna take years to complete.
Just today..the arsenal was blowing up stuff all day long, but it was just a small rumble about every 15-30 minutes.
Somedays...itll set off car alarms here.

redstone across the street, apartment and loud booms could only be one place lol. there was one saturday they fired off something on one of the test ranges, shook our apartment so hard a hunk of drywall fell out of the ceiling and hit me in the head

there was an email that came out from garrison this morning that said atf was doing some demo on one of the south ranges. all the construction on base, they keep finding all the old ordinance they buried in the 40s, 50s and 60s so they pile it up and blow it.

JackFanToM
01-27-16, 21:30

RIDE OUT ROAD!!!! My dad was in charge of missiles and space at redstone arsenal before he retired. He used to text me and rub it in that he got blow stuff up before lunch. My son got to go to space camp there as well. Nice place