RWH24
01-30-16, 14:54
Very good information video for new or experienced AK owner/buyers

civiliansheepdog
01-30-16, 16:36
We've got to bring 7n6 back people!!!

hotrodder636
01-30-16, 20:11
I have been having a hell of a time trying to find an AK-74 for purchase. Any leads, other than the EE here.

MountainRaven
01-30-16, 20:40
I have Ben having a hell of a time trying to find an AK-74 for purchase. Any leads, other than the EE here.

Check the 5.45 Pmag thread on this page. Sources for some DDI AK-74s are mentioned there.

sadmin
01-30-16, 20:57
Isnt DA about to release some 74s? They will be priced ridiculous but im very happy with my AK9 they did.

Auto426
01-30-16, 21:12
I have Ben having a hell of a time trying to find an AK-74 for purchase. Any leads, other than the EE here.

Classic has DDI built AK-74's that are part of a limited run. I just picked up mine today and while I haven't brought it to the range yet, I can say that it's probably the nicest AK I've ever held. The Magpul MOE furniture is also very comfortable and functional as well.

If your budget permits, Atlantic also has some Arsenal SLR series guns in stock. They carry Definitive Arms rifles as well, but they are currently out of stock.

ralfabco
01-30-16, 21:13
Hopefully, the genuine AK-74 mags will drop in price when the Magpul mil-spec AK-74 mags are released in a few months. It would be real nice if additional companies will produce 5.45x39 ammo. With the increase in price of 5.45x39 ammo additional profit will be available for the producers.

Mrgunsngear
01-31-16, 00:47
We've got to bring 7n6 back people!!!

Agreed. The fact that we got the M855 ban stopped in its' tracks shows that it can be done but the AR is America's rifle and has a (guessing) 50:1 ownership ratio vs. the '74. But, it can indeed be done. There's a bill in the House currently which would do just that.

BatteryOperated
01-31-16, 06:08
Classic has DDI built AK-74's that are part of a limited run. I just picked up mine today and while I haven't brought it to the range yet, I can say that it's probably the nicest AK I've ever held. The Magpul MOE furniture is also very comfortable and functional as well.

I picked mine up from my FFL on Thursday (yes, that's my initial review on the Classis Site). I am the owner of #575 of the approximate 650 to be manufactured. My purchase got caught up in snowstorm Jona's, and a delayed status FFL transfer which actually took two days to go through (Obama administration at work). I now have the rifle at home, which is now my new work in progress.

hotrodder636
01-31-16, 09:43
Heck, until the ban I was planning on making a 5.45 AR. My plans have changed due to the ban but I have always wanted a'74.

Agreed. The fact that we got the M855 ban stopped in its' tracks shows that it can be done but the AR is America's rifle and has a (guessing) 50:1 ownership ratio vs. the '74. But, it can indeed be done. There's a bill in the House currently which would do just that.

mack7.62
01-31-16, 09:45
Without cheap plentiful ammo what does the 74 offer that the AR doesn't do better?

Auto426
01-31-16, 10:38
Without cheap plentiful ammo what does the 74 offer that the AR doesn't do better?

I personally believe that the AR is superior to the AK for a rifle that will be taken into harms way, however I still own 3 AK pattern rifles and wil add at least a few more in the future. It's not always about what's absolutely best. The damn things are just plain fun to shoot and I personally like some variety in my shooting life.

Uprange41
01-31-16, 14:41

That implies that 5.45 and 5.56 are exclusive to AK's and AR's, respectively.

If a person needs what an AK offers, they can get one in 5.56. Same for an AR in 5.45.

The more apt comparison really is just 5.45 vs. 5.56.... and 5.56 does everything better.

MountainRaven
01-31-16, 15:36
That implies that 5.45 and 5.56 are exclusive to AK's and AR's, respectively.

If a person needs what an AK offers, they can get one in 5.56. Same for an AR in 5.45.

The more apt comparison really is just 5.45 vs. 5.56.... and 5.56 does everything better.

5.56 does everything better than 5.45... except work in AKs.

Similarly, 5.45 doesn't exactly run that well in ARs.

In both instances this is a result of a fairly simple fact:
Countries that use 5.45x39mm: Russia, Ukraine, North Korea.
Countries that use 5.56x45mm: USA, Canada, Mexico, Colombia, Brazil, Argentina, Iceland, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Germany, France, the UK, Ireland, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Austria, Poland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Greece, Turkey, Israel, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Kenya, South Africa, Georgia, Iran, Iraq, Kuwait, Afghanistan, India, South Korea, Philippines, Taiwan/Republic of China, Japan, Australia, New Zealand.

Neither list is entirely inclusive. I'm sure some of the smaller former Soviet Republics that have not left the Russian sphere of influence, like Kazakhstan and Tajikistan, still use 5.45x39, but I don't know this. Similarly, I'm sure that there are a number of other countries that use 5.56 that I didn't touch on, primarily in South America and Africa. I'm pretty sure there are more countries using the 7.62x39 than the 5.45. The only less common general issue rifle cartridges than 5.45x39 are going to be China/Peoples Republic of China's 5.8x42mm and the Swiss 5.6mm (which is just 5.56x45mm by another name).

In any event, there simply is not the market for good long-range or defensive 5.45x39 like there is for 5.56... nor is there a significant market for AR-15s - or any other non-Kalashnikov - in 5.45x39 (although Ukraine's Fort did get a license from IWI to manufacture Tavors in 5.45x39mm before the Euromaiden revolution).

RWH24
01-31-16, 22:42
I have been having a hell of a time trying to find an AK-74 for purchase. Any leads, other than the EE here.

https://www.classicfirearms.com/ddi-ak-74-stamped-fixed-stock-premium-grade-phoenix-houge

The last of the WW AK 74 Bulgarian parts kits, built by DDI for Classic Firearms and when these are gone, No More.
Looking on DDI website, there is a DDIAK74SFMM MSRP $849.95

http://www.ddiarms.com/pages/products

From Classic Arms:

New Production AK-74 Rifle by DDI, 5.45x39, Semi-Auto, Stamped Receiver, Phoenix Stock, Houge Grip and Forearm....Premium Grade.

Without a doubt one of the finest stamped AK-47 rifles I have ever had the privilege of introducing. Built on a new series of AK-74 receivers produced exclusively by DDI.

Now you can get custom quality at production prices. This rifle has a KG Gun Coat finish, Fenocited bolt, bolt carrier, cleaning rod, axis pins, rear sight assembly, spring guide, and Green Mountain barrel. Fenocite provides superior corrosion resistance and reduced wear, barrels can last a third longer than conventional barrels. Tapco30 rd magazine , Hogue forearms and pistol grip, Phoenix Technology Stock, Tapco G2 FCG, DDI receiver, and DDI Bulgarian style scope rail.

These are the Cadillac of AK-74 Rifles.

Kyohte
02-01-16, 01:24

I disagree on this point. With all the ballistic evidence I have seen, I would take 7n6 over M193 out of a 16" barrel. So when choosing to horde (formerly) cheap ammo, the 5.45 made a lot of sense. But yes, if we were to compare 5.45 to modern 5.56 bullets there is no question 5.56 is superior. It would be nice to see a modern 5.45 aside from the V-max, but as someone said before, the market isn't there.

Still, it is a free country, so why not enjoy both?

cinco
02-01-16, 16:21
Hopefully, the genuine AK-74 mags will drop in price when the Magpul mil-spec AK-74 mags are released in a few months. It would be real nice if additional companies will produce 5.45x39 ammo. With the increase in price of 5.45x39 ammo additional profit will be available for the producers.

Don't hold your breath. Magpul decided to release a non-metal feedlip MOE 74 mag first - due spring/summer. They are anything but com-bloc mil-spec. Think full Tapco price with undetermined quality. Anecdotally, some guys aren't happy with the 47 Gen 3 version as they are wider than the MOE version and not fitting. Magpul has admitted an issue and is currently revising the Gen 3.

Still the best quality option are the com-bloc mags for the foreseeable future.

Mrgunsngear
02-02-16, 08:24
I disagree on this point. With all the ballistic evidence I have seen, I would take 7n6 over M193 out of a 16" barrel. So when choosing to horde (formerly) cheap ammo, the 5.45 made a lot of sense. But yes, if we were to compare 5.45 to modern 5.56 bullets there is no question 5.56 is superior. It would be nice to see a modern 5.45 aside from the V-max, but as someone said before, the market isn't there.

Still, it is a free country, so why not enjoy both?

I'm going to agree with you on that one.

Benito
02-02-16, 19:09
Am I correct in assuming that 7.62x39 does better than 5.45x39 out of short barrels, just as .300BLK does better than 5.56 in shorties?

Kyohte
02-02-16, 20:25
I once heard Jim Fueller of rifle dynamics say the 9" 7.62x39 had horrible ballistics. The 5.45x39 still has good yaw and tumble even at shorter barrel lengths.

w3453l
02-02-16, 20:42

I wouldn't count on it. The 7.62 Magpul AK mags have been out and Circle 10 waffle mag prices didn't budge. Steel surplus mags keep changing in price, but they're only going up.

MountainRaven
02-02-16, 22:16
I once heard Jim Fueller of rifle dynamics say the 9" 7.62x39 had horrible ballistics. The 5.45x39 still has good yaw and tumble even at shorter barrel lengths.

Odd. Every other AK guy I've ever talked to about it has felt that the 7.62x39 was the better vSBR (very short barrel rifle) caliber, losing relatively little muzzle velocity, while muzzle velocity on 5.45 dropped like a rock (there is good reason the Russians don't use the AKS-74U much any more).

eodinert
02-03-16, 00:08

With 5.56, you're not limited to M193, so I'm not sure why this comparison is relevant. One of the reasons to shoot 5.56 are the many options that it offers, projectile and load wise.

Kyohte
02-03-16, 00:15
With 5.56, you're not limited to M193, so I'm not sure why this comparison is relevant. One of the reasons to shoot 5.56 are the many options that it offers, projectile and load wise.

Unless you reload, it is cost prohibitive to shoot anything other than M193 or M855 with any volume. Whereas with 5.45 you have a defensive load and practice ammo in the same load, and it is cheap. So you could buy it cheap and stack it deep. Do that with any 5.56 self-defense round and you will end up in the poor house fast. Quality 5.56 runs $ 0.75-1.50 a round. 5.45 costs ~0.21 per round. A difference around $800/1000 rounds at current prices. Back when 5.45 was 0.10 per round....

It is very relevant.

Kyohte
02-03-16, 00:24
Odd. Every other AK guy I've ever talked to about it has felt that the 7.62x39 was the better vSBR (very short barrel rifle) caliber, losing relatively little muzzle velocity, while muzzle velocity on 5.45 dropped like a rock (there is good reason the Russians don't use the AKS-74U much any more).

I thought this, too. And I have also heard the 7.62 loses almost no velocity until below 13". I am looking for the video where he states this.

Not the video I was thinking of, but he mentions similarly that below 10" the velocity drops considerably: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0_TDdXvsfdc

Still looking for the original video. I think it has been removed, because I found a link in another forum but it didn't work. In it, Jim discusses a N.D. from a Krink into his truck and the completely unspectacular penetration. I think he recovered the bullet inthe cab and it had only penetrated the rear of the cab and nothing else.

Of course, 7.62x39 is a poor performer (in FMJ) in a 16" barrel, so I am unsure how it could get better as the barrel gets shorter. I have also not heard about dropping the AK74u, but I don't really keep up with what the Russian's flavor of the day is.

Mrgunsandgear 5.45 SBR.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Db8XSKi7U7I

Beat Trash
02-03-16, 11:37
The number one issue with the AK74 is ammunition supply. There are American companies producing 7.62x39 ammunition. There are no American companies producing 5.45x39 ammunition to my knowledge.

I thought about this when I bought my last AK which was about 10 years ago now. People thought I was nuts for ever thinking there would ever be a ban in importation of 5.45 ammunition...

Kyohte
02-03-16, 13:19
The number one issue with the AK74 is ammunition supply. There are American companies producing 7.62x39 ammunition. There are no American companies producing 5.45x39 ammunition to my knowledge.

I thought about this when I bought my last AK which was about 10 years ago now. People thought I was nuts for ever thinking there would ever be a ban in importation of 5.45 ammunition...

Hornady makes 5.45x39. Imported ammo is still widely available, just not as cheap as it once was. The ban only affected 7n6. All other ammo is still coming in and is plentiful. I suspect 5.45 will be produced more domestically if all imports dry up, but no one is going to tool up to produce a rifle round to try and compete with imports at current prices. Besides, everyone I know has enough 7n6 stocked up to last several lifetimes and multiple shot-out barrels.

Mrgunsngear
02-03-16, 13:32
I thought this, too. And I have also heard the 7.62 loses almost no velocity until below 13". I am looking for the video where he states this.

Not the video I was thinking of, but he mentions similarly that below 10" the velocity drops considerably: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0_TDdXvsfdc

Still looking for the original video. I think it has been removed, because I found a link in another forum but it didn't work. In it, Jim discusses a N.D. from a Krink into his truck and the completely unspectacular penetration. I think he recovered the bullet inthe cab and it had only penetrated the rear of the cab and nothing else.

Of course, 7.62x39 is a poor performer (in FMJ) in a 16" barrel, so I am unsure how it could get better as the barrel gets shorter. I have also not heard about dropping the AK74u, but I don't really keep up with what the Russian's flavor of the day is.

Mrgunsandgear 5.45 SBR.

Thanks---it's a nasty little pill. Embed:

http://youtu.be/Db8XSKi7U7I

JusticeM4
02-03-16, 19:49
Ammo availability seems to be the biggest downfall of 5.45 (AK or AR). I've owned both 5.45 and 7.62x39 AK's but sold the 5.45 since I missed the cheap surplus ammo boat. Even Walmart has 7.62, but I don't think I've ever seen 5.45 there.

MountainRaven
02-03-16, 21:48

Mrgunsandgear 5.45 SBR.

Well, the gun was only intended to be used for tankers and other support troops and was basically treated as a submachine gun in Russian/Soviet doctrine (over and above the whole "Avtomat Kalashnikov" meaning "Kalashnikov's Submachine gun"). Production has, I believe, ceased on the AKS-74U with the AK-105 and it's 12.4" barrel having largely replaced the snub-nosed AKS-74U in use with Russian SOF.

The Russians used to call (maybe they still do?) the AKS-74U the сука (suchka - or 'bitch'). The only other rifle I'm aware of to earn a similar moniker was the Australian SAS-R's chopped down, select-fire L1A1s.

In any event, bullets do funny things in cars.

Hornady makes 5.45x39. Imported ammo is still widely available, just not as cheap as it once was. The ban only affected 7n6. All other ammo is still coming in and is plentiful. I suspect 5.45 will be produced more domestically if all imports dry up, but no one is going to tool up to produce a rifle round to try and compete with imports at current prices. Besides, everyone I know has enough 7n6 stocked up to last several lifetimes and multiple shot-out barrels.

Hornady's "brass" is imported - and I believe primed - abroad. Historically, it was Russian cases. It wouldn't surprise me if they were now Ukrainian (or Kazakh or...) cases. Hornady basically just drops their powder in and then seats and crimps the bullets.

I've heard that there was a domestic manufacturer who once did a run of brass-cased 5.45x39 for DoD (for a foreign military contract) - but I don't have anything more solid than hearsay for that one.

jwfuhrman
02-04-16, 10:12
DDI guns are former Waffen Werks guns. My partner at the EMS Service I work for is the nephew of the guy who bought Waffen Werks and turned it into DDI. He is actually looking at moving manufacturing from Tennessee back to his home state of Indiana.

That said, I'd buy a DDI gun.

RetroRevolver77
02-04-16, 15:16

Reliability.

:cool:

VIP3R 237
02-04-16, 15:33
I'm hesitant about the new stuff from Century as many are using cast trunions in the builds, it may or not be an issue long term though.

Reliability.

:cool:

Haha you just went there ;)

civiliansheepdog
02-04-16, 16:44
Reliability is a very relevant term. With the AK being an open system with the safety off, it can get quite a bit of shit in the action rendering it inoperable whereas the AR is sealed up very well with its safety off. It's all relevant to many variables.

DirectTo
02-04-16, 18:06
Reliability is a very relevant term. With the AK being an open system with the safety off, it can get quite a bit of shit in the action rendering it inoperable whereas the AR is sealed up very well with its safety off. It's all relevant to many variables.
To be fair, you'd expect someone to have their safety on unless actively engaging a target, in which case the firing mechanism would be exposed on the AK, but the dust cover would also be open on the AR. Potato, potahto.

Mauser KAR98K
02-04-16, 18:35
Speaking of 5.45, where the hell is it? Only thing I can find resonance and in stock is Tula.

Heard a company was suing the FATF to get 7n6 back! I miss a real range day with my WW AK74.

RetroRevolver77
02-04-16, 19:18
Speaking of 5.45, where the hell is it? Only thing I can find resonance and in stock is Tula.

Heard a company was suing the FATF to get 7n6 back! I miss a real range day with my WW AK74.

Supposedly Century will be importing some spam cans of newly made 5.45x39 ammo. However all the original 7n6 has for the most part dried up in the market and is sitting in my basement.

Uprange41
02-04-16, 20:13
Of course, 7.62x39 is a poor performer (in FMJ) in a 16" barrel, so I am unsure how it could get better as the barrel gets shorter.

It's not inherently a poor performer... there just are more bad 7.62x39 FMJ's than good ones. DocGKR has mentioned a handful of FMJ's that showed reasonable performance. As for SBR performance, this is 100% speculation, but I would think that reducing the velocity from the start would quicken the time to tumble. 7.62 FMJ bullets don't tend to tumble in tissue until they've shed some velocity. When you have such a (relatively) heavy bullet that's stable and driving through tissue, it's going to take longer to slow its rotation and result in a yaw. So, it would make sense to me that dropping the muzzle velocity could result in quicker tumbling in tissue, at the expense of barrier penetration. At least, if I were to write a thesis on it, that's what I'd say.. I'm sure Molon could drop a knowledge bomb on what forces are at play to force a bullet to yaw and tumble.

MountainRaven
02-04-16, 20:45
To be fair, you'd expect someone to have their safety on unless actively engaging a target, in which case the firing mechanism would be exposed on the AK, but the dust cover would also be open on the AR. Potato, potahto.

To be fair, I don't see anyone posting in this thread - or the vast majority of people reading this forum - ever in a position in the real world where it might even make a difference.

RetroRevolver77
02-05-16, 01:22
Well, the gun was only intended to be used for tankers and other support troops and was basically treated as a submachine gun in Russian/Soviet doctrine (over and above the whole "Avtomat Kalashnikov" meaning "Kalashnikov's Submachine gun"). Production has, I believe, ceased on the AKS-74U with the AK-105 and it's 12.4" barrel having largely replaced the snub-nosed AKS-74U in use with Russian SOF.

The Russians used to call (maybe they still do?) the AKS-74U the сука (suchka - or 'bitch'). The only other rifle I'm aware of to earn a similar moniker was the Australian SAS-R's chopped down, select-fire L1A1s.

In any event, bullets do funny things in cars.

Hornady's "brass" is imported - and I believe primed - abroad. Historically, it was Russian cases. It wouldn't surprise me if they were now Ukrainian (or Kazakh or...) cases. Hornady basically just drops their powder in and then seats and crimps the bullets.

I've heard that there was a domestic manufacturer who once did a run of brass-cased 5.45x39 for DoD (for a foreign military contract) - but I don't have anything more solid than hearsay for that one.

They dropped the AKS74U in the early 90's and switched to AK 105's though interior defense and police still use the Krink.

The AKS74U is my favorite SHTF rifle. Because of the superior nature of 5.45x39 ammo, it still is effective at 400 meters and very compact.

w3453l
02-05-16, 21:29
With 7n6 being cut off, does commercial 5.45 perform as well when it comes to terminal ballistics?

Another thing to think about: IF domestic companies start producing 5.45, wouldn't you think it will be just as, if not more, expensive than .223? At which point AK74's start looking less attractive. Not to mention that magazines are pretty expensive too.

I like AK's and I had an AK74, but I sold it. I wanted to consolidate calibers, and it made little sense to have AR's in 5.56 paired with 5.45 AK's vs 7.62 AK's. I also had a rude awakening with Sandy Hook, and realized imported ammo can easily be banned.

I really enjoyed shooting the AK74, but I tried to imagine a worst case scenario in which I'd be paying the same price for 5.45 as .223. I just found it more logical, for me, to get out of 5.45 while it was still easy.

Now I know this doesn't apply to those that already have a lifetime supply of mags and ammo, but it's something to think about for those trying to jump in just now.

RetroRevolver77
02-05-16, 22:08
With 7n6 being cut off, does commercial 5.45 perform as well when it comes to terminal ballistics?

Another thing to think about: IF domestic companies start producing 5.45, wouldn't you think it will be just as, if not more, expensive than .223? At which point AK74's start looking less attractive. Not to mention that magazines are pretty expensive too.

I like AK's and I had an AK74, but I sold it. I wanted to consolidate calibers, and it made little sense to have AR's in 5.56 paired with 5.45 AK's vs 7.62 AK's. I also had a rude awakening with Sandy Hook, and realized imported ammo can easily be banned.

I really enjoyed shooting the AK74, but I tried to imagine a worst case scenario in which I'd be paying the same price for 5.45 as .223. I just found it more logical, for me, to get out of 5.45 while it was still easy.

Now I know this doesn't apply to those that already have a lifetime supply of mags and ammo, but it's something to think about for those trying to jump in just now.

This was my entire logic when designing the 106 for Arsenal. I argued that the sweet days of easy import ammo could one day grind to a halt and having an AK in a domestic caliber made the most sense. Especially if you owned rifles in domestic calibers. Well I was right, except I made that prediction back in 2004 and I didn't even heed my own advice since then. I got in pretty heavy with the 7n6 ammo and still have tons of it left. That being said, the newer production stuff does perform well but is it worth the trade off to stock pile some oddball round versus domestic available calibers? Not really.

RMiller
02-06-16, 07:44
I loved my SLR104's, RPK74, and TGI 74' Underfolder. The ammo just dried up. I wasn't stocked up. If it were still flowing in at $150 a tin I'd be balls deep. The commercial stuff doesn't live up to 7n6 IMO.

Now, I've made the switch to 5.56. I'll own an M4gery, and a Polish Beryl. Maybe even throw in a SLR106u Pistol or PAP M85 Pistol with a shockwave brace.

That said, I'm a big believer in high velocity intermediate cartridges like 5.56 and 5.45. That's why I've never stuck with 7.62x39.

Here's my take:

Availability of a quality rifle is about the same as the AK74. ($600-1,150) Converted Saiga, Zastava M90NP, Beryl Archer, and Slr106.

Mags are a bit expensive though unless you happen into a used lot, etc. ($35-45) On a side note with a cheaper rifle like the M90NP by Zastava, AR mags can be used. There are many here who have used Canis and DA adapters with great sucess as well.

Ammo, it can be every bit as inexpensive with Russian Steel cased and expensive as match ammo 77 SMK's etc.

Ballistics can be equal to or exceed AK74 depending on ammo used. Trajectory is about equal. They are both flat shooting. Accuracy is equal.

HD- .223/5.56 has a lot of specialized LEO and HD rounds available.

Weight is light, like the AK74.

Recoil is as pleasant, depending on the rifle and ammo, the 5.56 rifles have a little bit more sharp of a recoil impulse (especially with hot M193). BUT, it is definitely easy to get the follow up shot.

Labayu
02-06-16, 09:03
They dropped the AKS74U in the early 90's and switched to AK 105's though interior defense and police still use the Krink.

The AKS74U is my favorite SHTF rifle. Because of the superior nature of 5.45x39 ammo, it still is effective at 400 meters and very compact.

Without cheap and plentiful 7N6 ammo what's the point?

Beat Trash
02-06-16, 09:50
Without cheap and plentiful 7N6 ammo what's the point?

Exactly...

If you already were vested in the AK74 and stocked up on cheap 7N6 ammo, you're set. But for someone starting from scratch where the 7N isn't a cheap and plentiful option, then I personally would rethink the AK74.

Mauser KAR98K
02-06-16, 09:59
Exactly...

If you already were vested in the AK74 and stocked up on cheap 7N6 ammo, you're set. But for someone starting from scratch where the 7N isn't a cheap and plentiful option, then I personally would rethink the AK74.

This is where I am, unfortunately, at. I was juggling between out of stock, and then in stock but no cash. Bought when and where I could. But I also love to shoot.

I love my Ak74. Love the rifle and had always wanted one since I was a kid. I will be keeping mine and buying 5.45 when I can. Right now, if I can just either get one can or even one crate of 7N6, I wouldn't be so jittery.

BatteryOperated
02-06-16, 10:59
Depends on what you are willing to spend. You can still buy 7n6 for .305 a round in a 1080 tin with free shipping. It is still a little cheaper than 5.56.

Labayu
02-06-16, 11:51
I had a professionally converted Saiga 5.45x39 that had been completely redone with a like new Bulgarian AK74 parts kit. When they announced that they were banning the importation of 7N6 ammo I put it up for sale with a pile of black polymer 30rd magazines and 2 cases of milsurp ammo because it was no longer a sustainable platform and there is no brass cased ammo or projos for me to reload for it.

The only AKs I have now are Bulgarian and Romanian 7.62x39mm guns...

Mrgunsngear
02-06-16, 14:02
Depends on what you are willing to spend. You can still buy 7n6 for .305 a round in a 1080 tin with free shipping. It is still a little cheaper than 5.56.

25 cents shipped at UN ammo

BatteryOperated
02-06-16, 14:24
25 cents shipped at UN ammo

Yes Sir. Ammo Supply Warehouse also has the Wolf Poly 55grn or 60 grn for .24 a round ($177.75 for a case of 750) with $23.00 shipping comes to about .27 a round.

RWH24
02-10-16, 17:18
I do most of my ammo business with SGAmmo in Okla. WHen out of stock, usually back in stock soon. Fast shipper and cheap shipping.

http://www.sgammo.com/product/545x39-ammo/750-round-case-545x39-fmj-60-grain-steel-case-polyformance-or-military-classic-w

$174.95
Quantity:

Add to cart
Estimated Shipping Cost: $14.00
Estimated Shipping for 2: $22.00
Quantity in Stock:15
QUANTITY PRICING
1 or more $174.95
SKU: WPA-Poly-545-FMJ
5.45x39 Ammo Wolf or WPA

RWH24
02-10-16, 17:28
I picked up 4 of these from CDNN. http://www.cdnnsports.com/ak74-30rd-545x39-steel-lined-poly-brown-follower.html#.VrvHExgrJxA

Feed lips are steel lined but the locking lugs are not steel. Great for range mags and to keep loaded. I have surplus steel for the serious work.

RetroRevolver77
02-15-16, 21:41
I picked up 4 of these from CDNN. http://www.cdnnsports.com/ak74-30rd-545x39-steel-lined-poly-brown-follower.html#.VrvHExgrJxA

Feed lips are steel lined but the locking lugs are not steel. Great for range mags and to keep loaded. I have surplus steel for the serious work.

I bought a bunch of those and returned them. I have plenty of 74 mags already though.