PDA

View Full Version : Current value of pre-ban AR mags and Glock mags...

TED
01-27-16, 23:27
I've been cleaning out the garage and found a large stash of pre-94 AR USGI 30rd and Glock mags (G20, G17, G18).

Please tell me what states have pre-94 mag restrictions and what the approximate value of these mags might be.

Thank you for your kind assistance.

TED

ken livingston
01-28-16, 06:00
I've been cleaning out the garage and found a large stash of pre-94 AR USGI 30rd and Glock mags (G20, G17, G18).

Please tell me what states have pre-94 mag restrictions and what the approximate value of these mags might be.

Thank you for your kind assistance.

TED

MA

AR = $25-$40 depending condition
Glock = $35-$70

glock40cal
01-28-16, 13:47
MA

AR = $25-$40 depending condition
Glock = $35-$70

If it were me, I'd charge the direct price of a replacement and sell to a brother or sister in a ban state to help out.

TED
01-28-16, 13:55
I have read that MA is the only state (and it is the only one the above poster listed) where pre-94 status is relevant. Why is that? I see that several states have had their own version of the 94 "assault" wepaon and mag ban.

TED

JasonB1
01-28-16, 15:21
Guessing most of the others are now more restrictive with retroactive bans and/or not being able to make new purchases of even older items.

snowdog650
02-04-16, 12:34
Here in California, they are worth a felony according to Penal Code section 12020(a)(2).

The FNG
02-04-16, 13:27
Here in California, they are worth a felony according to Penal Code section 12020(a)(2).

Just curious how that works if you owned it (high cap mags) prior to the ban? Our stare (WA) is talking and I'm curious how it worked for Cali. Is it just a "No" or is there a grandfather clause?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snowdog650
02-04-16, 15:15
Just curious how that works if you owned it (high cap mags) prior to the ban? Our stare (WA) is talking and I'm curious how it worked for Cali. Is it just a "No" or is there a grandfather clause?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grandfathered for mags owned in state prior to 1 JAN 2000.

However, it is illegal to buy, sell, manufacture, or import any standard cap mag ... whether it was grandfathered or not.

Moose-Knuckle
02-05-16, 03:46
Grandfathered for mags owned in state prior to 1 JAN 2000.

However, it is illegal to buy, sell, manufacture, or import any standard cap mag ... whether it was grandfathered or not.

Curious, how does the state of CA prove a "pre-ban" mag was either in the state or not prior to 01/01/00?

mark5pt56
02-05-16, 05:48
Simple things such as the manufacturer and type of magazine. Let's say you have a gen3 Pmag, that's one easy example.

bigwagon
02-05-16, 06:16
PMAGs are obviously not pre-ban magazines. How does the state know that a legit pre-ban magazine has been in the state since before the ban? You could go out of state tomorrow, buy one, and bring it back.

mark5pt56
02-05-16, 08:53
I used the Pmag as an example, an easy one. The same applies to others such as a BCM marked mag or any other example that wasn't manufactured before that cut off date. Some have date stamps that may "make it easy" On the other hand though if brand "X" has been made with the same design features and no date stamp for the last 30 years, then there's no other way to know other than a receipt to go with it and witnessed purchase, etc.

Moose-Knuckle
02-05-16, 13:43
Simple things such as the manufacturer and type of magazine. Let's say you have a gen3 Pmag, that's one easy example.

I understand that, but what is to say earlier gen GLOCK OEM mags or USGIs find their way into the state after that date, how on Earth can a DA prove an object was there prior to a fixed point in time. Obvious later produced mags would be a dead give away.

crosseyedshooter
02-05-16, 14:02
This is moving away from the OP question, so I'll answer that the mags have no value in CA since they're illegal to sell or import. CA "large capacity" magazine laws are a prime example of gun control ridiculousness. It's unlawful to import, purchase, manufacture, give, lend or sell >10-round capacity magazines since 2000. However, notice there is no mention of possessing, repairing or disposing. Legally, you can repair a magazine that you possessed since prior to 2000. If you stepped on your aluminum AR mag, you can replace the body. If the spring wears out, you can buy a new spring. However, it has recently (2014) become illegal to import parts "kits" which contain all the components to assemble a "large capacity" magazine.

There are potential scenarios within the law that result in unmarked/undated magazines but there's just as much potential for getting into trouble due to the confusing way the laws are written.

Also note that, although legal to possess, "large capacity" magazines are deemed a nuisance and can be confiscated by law enforcement without recompense.

Please pray for California. (Probably to break off and sink into the ocean.)