PDA

View Full Version : Question about G17 bbl in G22

Bowser
01-30-16, 04:32
So I acquired a Police trade in G22 in really good condition. I might keep it a .40S&W, but I was wondering if a conversion barrel as opposed to a regular match gunsmith fit barrel is necessary if I change out the extractor and ejector?

Basically I had in mind a KKM or Barsto match 17 barrel to be fitted by my gunsmith, Apex extractor, and a Gen 3 pointy or Gen 4 squared ejector for 9mm.

DirectTo
01-30-16, 05:13
A conversion barrel tends to be a little better accuracy-wise since it more closely fits the opening in the slide. I'll measure the openings when I get home today.

I've had a Lone Wolf conversion barrel in my Gen 3 G22 for a hair less than a thousand rounds with no issues using the stock .40 extractor and ejector. It's certainly convenient to just swap barrels.

chococat
01-30-16, 10:01
Both Barsto and KKM precision make a G22 conversion barrel chambered in 9 mm. Muzzle opening on a G22 slide is larger than G17.
Al

PaLEOjd
01-30-16, 16:31
I have 9mm conversion barreks for my Gen.4 G22, and my G27, both cheap Lone Wolf barrels and I keep the OEM ejectors in place without issue. They always run 100% on the range. I would not carry either pistol in that configuration but they are reliable for plinking and training with the .40 ejector in place.
I have taken a good look at the barrels and it seems they both have the bore slightly off center. It appears moved to the right side most likely to move the case over to work with the .40 ejector since there is a difference in the bend from .40 to 9mm.

If you plan on carrying that pistol as a 9mm, I would not do so with a simple conversion barrel. I would have a barrel made specifically to fit that pistol.
Is there a reason you don't want to leave it as is if it's going to be carried?

Bowser
01-30-16, 19:22
Just entertaining the idea. This is my project gun. I have a ton of mags for it in .40S&W, so I am probably going to keep it as as and fit a match barrel in .40S&W later.