PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about a Glock 20, any alternatives?

nova3930
01-30-16, 16:53
Been wanting to get a 10mm forever and finally just about ready to take the plunge.

Looking over my options it seems like the Glock 20 checks all my boxes, problem is I am not nor have i ever been in a Glock fan.

What I'm looking at in requirements:

high cap
not $1000+
threaded barrel availability
can shoot hot loads

The only other pistol that comes close is one of the EAA Witness/Tangfolio CZ-75 clones but it fails on the threaded barrel test. I can get a longer barrel but would have to get it threaded/thread it myself.

Am I missing any other options or am I about to be a Glock owner for the first time?

Auto-X Fil
01-30-16, 17:11
Glock is really the only choice for threaded high-cap in an affordable gun.

But, do yourself a favor and get a 40 instead of a 20. 10mm begs for a long-slide. And LW has a 6.6" barrel for it.

ChaseN
01-30-16, 17:26
FWIW, I just put 60 rounds of 200gr underwood through my G20 this afternoon. I'm amazed at how manageable that gun makes full-tilt-boogie 10mm rounds feel. I was drilling 7 yard headshots on an idpa target nearly as fast as I could pull the trigger. (As an aside, those rounds put on a smokeshow that makes a modern autopistol smoke like an old black powder revolver!)

Re: 20 vs 40, I would only get the 40 if I were buying it specifically for hunting. Otherwise, the 20 is much handier for all around carry, open in the woods and concealed in town. I can AIWB my 20 about as easy as my 19.

nova3930
01-30-16, 17:33
Glock is really the only choice for threaded high-cap in an affordable gun.

But, do yourself a favor and get a 40 instead of a 20. 10mm begs for a long-slide. And LW has a 6.6" barrel for it.

the 40 isn't but about 100 more than the 20. I want it for range toy and hunting sidearm so a long slide wouldn't be a detriment really...

ChaseN
01-30-16, 17:37
the 40 isn't but about 100 more than the 20. I want it for range toy and hunting sidearm so a long slide wouldn't be a detriment really...

Then the 40 sounds like your ticket. I can only imagine that full power 10mm rounds are a pleasure in that gun. Be advised, I've handled one, and it's HUGE!

nova3930
01-30-16, 17:41
Then the 40 sounds like your ticket. I can only imagine that full power 10mm rounds are a pleasure in that gun. Be advised, I've handled one, and it's HUGE!

yeah, def want to handle one in person before i decide. I got to handle a couple g20s at the gun show today and it was sizeable in it's own right. on my sig 320s I prefer the small grips so I think if I went with the g20, I'd either need a gen 4 or a gen 3 sf....

ChaseN
01-30-16, 17:44
I would be interested to shot a gen 3 sf back to back with my gen 4 to see what difference the dual recoil spring makes, if any. It makes little to no difference on my 9mm's, since they have so little recoil in the first place, but I suspect it may have something to do with the way my gen 4 handles the heavy hardcast loads.

titsonritz
01-30-16, 17:46
I'd suggest a G40

w squared
01-31-16, 08:28
My G20 was my first Glock. I bought it before the G40 was on offer. I agree with the above posters....it's big, heavy, blocky, and graceless. It's also utterly reliable, high capacity, and the most powerful handgun that I own. It is still concealable though - I carried it yesterday in a Raven Concealment IWB kydex rig.

For your intended purpose - range and hunting - I'd say the G40 is the definite front-runner. It has more magazine capacity than the other options, more barrel, and (most importantly in my mind) it can handle full-spec SAAMI loads without flinching. I surely covet a Colt Delta Elite as a classic firearm....but I can't justify owning a 10mm pistol that can't fire full pressure loads.

platoonDaddy
01-31-16, 08:40
I would go with the G21 and purchase a threaded .460 roland barrel. Have a threaded barrel from Wolf, great for hunting or keeping the griz away from your down elk.

nova3930
01-31-16, 08:54
The message I'm getting thus far is there's no real alternative to a Glock given my use and requirements. The choice is just between two different glocks.

My G20 was my first Glock. I bought it before the G40 was on offer. I agree with the above posters....it's big, heavy, blocky, and graceless. It's also utterly reliable, high capacity, and the most powerful handgun that I own. It is still concealable though - I carried it yesterday in a Raven Concealment IWB kydex rig.

For your intended purpose - range and hunting - I'd say the G40 is the definite front-runner. It has more magazine capacity than the other options, more barrel, and (most importantly in my mind) it can handle full-spec SAAMI loads without flinching. I surely covet a Colt Delta Elite as a classic firearm....but I can't justify owning a 10mm pistol that can't fire full pressure loads.

I want a Delta for the collection myself. Shooters always take precedence over more collectible pieces when I add a caliber though.

I would go with the G21 and purchase a threaded .460 roland barrel. Have a threaded barrel from Wolf, great for hunting or keeping the griz away from your down elk.

460 is stepping a little closer to the wildcat realm than I'd care to. I have the gear to reload if I want but prefer to have ammo available off the shelf.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Double3
01-31-16, 09:00
I would be interested to shot a gen 3 sf back to back with my gen 4 to see what difference the dual recoil spring makes, if any. It makes little to no difference on my 9mm's, since they have so little recoil in the first place, but I suspect it may have something to do with the way my gen 4 handles the heavy hardcast loads.

I had both a gen3 SF and a gen4 for long enough to shoot both at the same time and there is very little or no difference.

The gen4 just feels better in my hand.

_Stormin_
01-31-16, 09:04
Given what your intent is, the 40 is probably the better bet. You're talking about a two ounce difference in weight for the 1.4" of barrel and enhanced projectile velocity. Plus the enhanced sight radius probably providing a slightly more accurate pistol.

I have a 20 and love it for 10mm. I am probably one of the small fraternity of people to have had malfunctions with the pistol, and I still wouldn't give it up. All of them were stovepipes. The problems vanished entirely after I swapped the recoil spring, so it could be that the 20 was designed mostly to run 40S&W strength loads. For $7 it provided an easy solution. If I had to provide alternate explanations, the malfunctions could either have been the result of a long day of shooting leading to limp-wristing the pistol, or I had a few rounds of 10mm that weren't up to snuff.

ChaseN
01-31-16, 09:39
I have a 20 and love it for 10mm. I am probably one of the small fraternity of people to have had malfunctions with the pistol, and I still wouldn't give it up. All of them were stovepipes. The problems vanished entirely after I swapped the recoil spring, so it could be that the 20 was designed mostly to run 40S&W strength loads. For $7 it provided an easy solution. If I had to provide alternate explanations, the malfunctions could either have been the result of a long day of shooting leading to limp-wristing the pistol, or I had a few rounds of 10mm that weren't up to snuff.

I've never shot anything but underwood 10mm through my gen 4 20, and I've never had a malfunction. Only about 400 rounds because the stuff is so expensive, but still enough that it gives me personally a warm and fuzzy. Of note, however, it's that .40 S&W runs just fine in my 20, without any modification. Not suggesting anyone do it because the round is just headspacing off the extractor at that point, but it is an option "in a pinch." It has come in handy during ammo crisis years...

okie john
01-31-16, 10:31

The HK USP 45 Tactical meets all of your criteria. It also will fire 45 Super ammo (which completely outruns the 10mm) without modification, plus you can shoot 45 ACP which is a LOT cheaper than 10mm. They're also very accurate and HK makes a range of trigger options, including an excellent match trigger setup.

Okie John

nova3930
01-31-16, 11:03
The HK USP 45 Tactical meets all of your criteria. It also will fire 45 Super ammo (which completely outruns the 10mm) without modification, plus you can shoot 45 ACP which is a LOT cheaper than 10mm. They're also very accurate and HK makes a range of trigger options, including an excellent match trigger setup.

Okie John

thats an idea but is pushing my price limit a bit. that and I already have some 45s. really looking for something different.

ccosby
01-31-16, 12:17

The g20 was the first glock I bought as well. Overall a great gun although the grip is huge(I wish I got the sf version but it wasn't out at the time).

OP for the options you are asking for I agree the glocks seem to be the best options. You also have the 29 if you want a smaller gun although I think the 20sf would be the option I'd be looking at. Most other options in 10mm are not going to be high cap.

Personally I've been thinking of adding the sig p220 in 10mm to my collection although most of them are the single action ones and I want a SA/DA. Be warned though, the 10mm guns seem to multiply as they are fun to shoot(mine).

teutonicpolymer
01-31-16, 12:40

Okie John

People say this but Prvi 10mm is cheap (around 35 cents per round) which is close to .45 acp cost. 10mm brass is also pretty cheap as well, and the bullets are cheap since they're just .40 s&w bullets.
The tradeoff is that you are relegated to ordering online for the most part, especially if you are trying to buy cheap, since not every store sells 10mm whereas you can easily find .45 acp at Walmart.

nova3930
01-31-16, 13:12
The g20 was the first glock I bought as well. Overall a great gun although the grip is huge(I wish I got the sf version but it wasn't out at the time).

OP for the options you are asking for I agree the glocks seem to be the best options. You also have the 29 if you want a smaller gun although I think the 20sf would be the option I'd be looking at. Most other options in 10mm are not going to be high cap.

Personally I've been thinking of adding the sig p220 in 10mm to my collection although most of them are the single action ones and I want a SA/DA. Be warned though, the 10mm guns seem to multiply as they are fun to shoot(mine).

MY lgs has a p220-10 that I lust over every time I darken the doorway. I just can't stomach $1100+ right now.

People say this but Prvi 10mm is cheap (around 35 cents per round) which is close to .45 acp cost. 10mm brass is also pretty cheap as well, and the bullets are cheap since they're just .40 s&w bullets.
The tradeoff is that you are relegated to ordering online for the most part, especially if you are trying to buy cheap, since not every store sells 10mm whereas you can easily find .45 acp at Walmart.

you guys have me thinking more about the 45 super. maybe a converted G21 or I wonder if a p320 45 could be converted with a spring change. The latter could kill 2 birds with one stone because I want a 320 in 45.....

_Stormin_
01-31-16, 13:17
I've never shot anything but underwood 10mm through my gen 4 20, and I've never had a malfunction. Only about 400 rounds because the stuff is so expensive, but still enough that it gives me personally a warm and fuzzy.

Mine's a hair older than your Gen 4... :-D

nova3930
01-31-16, 13:45
the g21 idea really has me intrigued. A G21SF runs $545 and $150 worth of parts from Lone Wolf gets me threaded and 45 super capable. 185gr moving at 1300fps is nothing to sneeze at

domestique
01-31-16, 14:30
I have a Gen 3 20SF. I've added a heavier recoil spring and KKM barrel for better chamber support on hot reloads. I opted to not get it threaded as 10mm is always going to be supersonic and I have 9mm/.45acp for suppressed backyard fun.

I really only use mine for backpacking/bow hunting gun. It's big, but 14+1 rounds of 200 gr. WFNGC at 1,275 fps is comforting in bear country. I reload my own bullets, so cost isn't bad once you have a stash of 10mm brass. My 200gr. load rivals 357 Magnum (and I'm not even loading as hot as a lot of others). The 200gr. WFNGC is made by Double Tap, and is the same bullet Underwood and Buffalo Bore use for their loads. You can buy direct from Double Tap.

I originally bought a Storm Lake barrel, but the chamber was too tight to allow a round to freely chamber, and bought the KKM. I have 2 chest rigs (Alaskan Guide, and a Hill People kit bag). The Alaskan guide is leather, faster to draw, but expensive. I usually use the Hill People gear bag to avoid scaring any sheeple while backpacking. Tactical Tailor makes a concealed carry holster that is Molle any attaches to backpack belts. I've used it before, but prefer to have my gun on me.

Natchesz used to have Glock magazines for 19.99.... not sure what they are at now. The nice thing about 10mm is bullets/parts are not scarce during gun panics.

I have 1K of pulled 180gr. Federal HST that I plan on loading up for backcountry 2 legged threats.

Devildawg2531
01-31-16, 14:41
The 45 Super is an interesting idea. Buffalo Bore 185 grain hp at over 1300 fps and 230 grain at over 1100 fps. Can all Glock 45's and HK 45's fire 45 Super?

Uprange41
01-31-16, 14:46
the g21 idea really has me intrigued. A G21SF runs $545 and $150 worth of parts from Lone Wolf gets me threaded and 45 super capable. 185gr moving at 1300fps is nothing to sneeze at

You can run .45 Super, which can mirror 10mm energy, .40 Super, which can edge out both .45 Super and 10mm, and .460 Rowland, which puts them both in the dust. Underwood makes some of the hottest loads for each.

nova3930
01-31-16, 16:04
You can run .45 Super, which can mirror 10mm energy, .40 Super, which can edge out both .45 Super and 10mm, and .460 Rowland, which puts them both in the dust. Underwood makes some of the hottest loads for each.

460 rowland is interesting but i think it's out. at least by my reading you need a comp to keep from beating the gun to death. was wanting it threaded so I could run a suppressor at the range if I wanted to

QuickStrike
01-31-16, 17:39
I've read around about glocks in 10mm. They seem to choke on the really hot stuff? I recall reading a thread on a glock forum that glock does not recommend the hotter stuff through their guns.

A purpose built 10mm semi-auto thats actually durable + reliable would be tits!

nova3930
01-31-16, 18:26
Before I make my decision I need to make a run by cabelas and see what ammo they have on the shelf. I know they carry 10mm and I know they carry buffalo bore but not sure if they carry bb 10mm. Also want to see what of any cheap 10mm ammo they have on the shelf.

Right now leaning towards the Glock 21 route because I already have a supply of 45acp and it's available everywhere. Ordering the hot stuff is fine if cheap stuff is everywhere. I also already have 45 dies and a supply of loading components that could be used on 45 super. I'd have to regear up for 10mm

titsonritz
01-31-16, 19:15
in that case take a look at the G41

July4th
01-31-16, 19:29
Be careful if you pick up a G40. I've seen more than one ship with all three mags being 10 rounders (Florida).

Stengun
02-02-16, 06:23
Howdy,

I've owned a G20 10mm since 1993 and have fired over 7,500 rounds through it without a single hiccup.

Only downside is that I don't have a huge hand and have kinda short fingers so it is a handful.

Paul

ChaseN
02-02-16, 06:27
Be careful if you pick up a G40. I've seen more than one ship with all three mags being 10 rounders (Florida).

This can happen with any Glock (or any manufacturer really). It's up to your FFL to order the correct SKU for your state.

nova3930
02-02-16, 10:51
I think I've settled on the Glock 21/45 Super route.

Ammo availability, already having the reloading gear and the fact I can snag LE trade Glock 21s for 3-4 bills tipped the scales.

teutonicpolymer
02-02-16, 18:16
I think I've settled on the Glock 21/45 Super route.

Ammo availability, already having the reloading gear and the fact I can snag LE trade Glock 21s for 3-4 bills tipped the scales.

If I was making your decision I would still go for the 10mm in either the Glock 20, Glock 40, or a 1911 because I love 10mm

If I went for a .45 instead I would at least get the Glock 41 or something like the PPQ .45, FN guns, HK, etc.

Auto-X Fil
02-02-16, 18:37
Yeah, lots of choices in .45. The FNX and USP Tactica both come threaded, saving a bunch of money vs buying a threaded barrel and throwing the stock one in a drawer. Then if regular +P isn't enough you can go super or .460 or whatever. Or sell the USP threaded barrel... Probably pretty valuable.

titsonritz
02-02-16, 18:53
If I was making your decision I would still go for the 10mm in either the Glock 20, Glock 40, or a 1911 because I love 10mm

If I went for a .45 instead I would at least get the Glock 41 or something like the PPQ .45, FN guns, HK, etc.
You can always get a Glock 21 10mm Conversion (http://www.efkfiredragon.com/glock-21-10-mm-conversion1.html) you can't get a Glock 20 to 45acp conversion.

nova3930
02-02-16, 19:46

ok so sell me on 10mm? whats it got that 45 super doesnt?

Yeah, lots of choices in .45. The FNX and USP Tactica both come threaded, saving a bunch of money vs buying a threaded barrel and throwing the stock one in a drawer. Then if regular +P isn't enough you can go super or .460 or whatever. Or sell the USP threaded barrel... Probably pretty valuable.

not sure how those save money. priced a fnx tactical at my lgs today for 1100 and a usp tactical for 800. they had a regular usp used for 500 but cheapest i could find a threaded barrel was 200ish. i can get a le trade g21 for 450 to my door and less than 150 for a lone wolf barrel and spring.

You can always get a Glock 21 10mm Conversion (http://www.efkfiredragon.com/glock-21-10-mm-conversion1.html) you can't get a Glock 20 to 45acp conversion.

ive thought about this as a concurrent option too.

if i was going to go plain 45 and +p id add to my sig 320 collection.

Ryno12
02-02-16, 20:18

The 10mm is the most versatile of auto loading calibers from 135-220 projos ranging from powder puff to purely insane.
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/16/02/02/7776e8a0432178e0a3b5572a731b7268.jpg
Not to mention, you get to be apart of an elite group of individuals that ooze awesomeness & badassery including LAV, Ted Nugent, and yours truly.
45 Super owners will never be as cool as the 10mm guys.

[emoji41]

nova3930
02-02-16, 20:39
lol got you. i'll be the first to admit that 10mm has a certain draw to it. it is what started me down this path after all. performance wise they just seem roughly equivalent. I know the 10mm will have better performance at range at a given bullet weight due to the higher ballistic coefficient, I'm just not seeing much else different between them.

Plus as said above I can drop another 150 and get a 10mm kit and have both :D

masakari
02-02-16, 20:41
My top two would be the Kimber Eclipse (because it's a snazzy bitch) or the Glock 20/40 (because of its magazine capacity, weight, and price).
Me personally, I'd spend the extra to get the Kimber.

nova3930
02-03-16, 09:56
Found myself lusting over the P220-10s in my LGS yesterday while I was there. Got me rethinking once again. Gah why do there have to be so many good choices?

teutonicpolymer
02-03-16, 11:02

not sure how those save money. priced a fnx tactical at my lgs today for 1100 and a usp tactical for 800. they had a regular usp used for 500 but cheapest i could find a threaded barrel was 200ish. i can get a le trade g21 for 450 to my door and less than 150 for a lone wolf barrel and spring.

ive thought about this as a concurrent option too.

if i was going to go plain 45 and +p id add to my sig 320 collection.

10mm reloading is cheaper
.40 s&w conversion barrels can be had (but some shoot .40 in the stock barrel)
You can make a very good uspsa limited gun with it
Places actually will sell 10mm while .45 super is even rarer than 10mm
Probably more reliable than a converted .45

I'd be more concerned about which gun than which caliber- for instance if you live in a place with handgun hunting but minimum barrel length laws... etc

nova3930
02-03-16, 11:16
I'd be more concerned about which gun than which caliber- for instance if you live in a place with handgun hunting but minimum barrel length laws... etc

Not really an issue. Most of what I'm after is hogs and coyotes on private property. Short of poison you can take those any time, any way on private property in AL.

I am thinking about giving up on the threaded barrel requirement. Only really wanted it to run suppressed, which was a want. I haven't even filed the F1 much less built the 45 suppressor I'm planning. For that matter, I've got a freakin lathe in the garage, I can always thread my own barrel if it gets down to it....

Auto-X Fil
02-03-16, 11:33
Found myself lusting over the P220-10s in my LGS yesterday while I was there. Got me rethinking once again. Gah why do there have to be so many good choices?

I have shot a bunch of 10mm guns, and the P220 is my favorite by a mile. Better than the Kimber, Glock, or Colt DE.

QuickStrike
02-03-16, 11:42
^I'm watching those sigs like a pervert behind the bushes...

If they prove to be durable after a year or two, I will be all over dat...

nova3930
02-03-16, 11:59
I really really want one of those but I just can't stomach $1100 bucks for a pistol right now. Not with a newborn at home and a wife on maternity leave. I've managed to sell off enough stuff that I didn't need or want anymore to fun $500ish but that's about the limit....

^I'm watching those sigs like a pervert behind the bushes...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I finger the things every time I darken the doorway just about. Probably have as much time with it in hand as if I'd have bought it lol

nova3930
02-03-16, 13:25
Hit up Cabelas on my lunch break and they had more than a little 10mm on the shelf, including Buffalo Bore 180gr (claimed 1350), Sig 180gr (claimed 1250fps) and HSM "Bear Load" 200 gr (claimed 1040 fps) plus a lot more lower power stuff, some for < 50 cents a round. Plus I can order a lot more and have it shipped to the store for free....

So maybe I'm back to 10mm.....but I still am really hesitant to buy a Glock, as much as I dislike them....

If I had even an inkling of if/when Vltor would get their Bren Ten out I'd save my pennies and go that route...

Ryno12
02-03-16, 13:39
So maybe I'm back to 10mm.....but I still am really hesitant to buy a Glock, as much as I dislike them....

I'm not a fan of Glocks either but what else can you stuff full with Underwood ammo & have 12,272 ft/lbs at your disposal. [emoji123]

nova3930
02-03-16, 13:54
I'm not a fan of Glocks either but what else can you stuff full with Underwood ammo & have 12,272 ft/lbs at your disposal. [emoji123]

Possibly this? ;)

http://www.personaldefenseworld.com/2013/09/combat-test-eaa-witness-stock-iii/#eaa-witness-13

It looks awesome anyway. Wish I knew if it would perform or not. You can get one of their plain jane polymer versions for 4 bills. Tempted to buy one and beat on it till I can decide on something better....

Ryno12
02-03-16, 15:14
Possibly this? ;)

http://www.personaldefenseworld.com/2013/09/combat-test-eaa-witness-stock-iii/#eaa-witness-13

It looks awesome anyway. Wish I knew if it would perform or not. You can get one of their plain jane polymer versions for 4 bills. Tempted to buy one and beat on it till I can decide on something better....

Well, close but not quite...

I researched the EAAs years ago & read some bad reports of their CS. At that point I bought a G20 SF.
A friend of mine has an EAA but I only handled it. The frame (or slide, I can't recall) cracked & she sent it back to EAA for repairs. It took over a year before she got it back. That confirmed the stories I read about their CS. This was years ago though, so take it for what it's worth.

I ended up buying a 6" SL barrel for my G20 also. I was getting some bulging of my brass from the OEM barrel with hot loads. I'm not sure if that is still the case with the new model G20's though.

nova3930
02-03-16, 15:22
Well, close but not quite...

I researched the EAAs years ago & read some bad reports of their CS. At that point I bought a G20 SF.
A friend of mine has an EAA but I only handled it. The frame (or slide, I can't recall) cracked & she sent it back to EAA for repairs. It took over a year before she got it back. That confirmed the stories I read about their CS. This was years ago though, so take it for what it's worth.

Yeah, CS is hit or miss from what I can tell. My research has shown they had problems with slide cracking. At one point they redesigned the slide to be more contoured and the result was cracking in front of the ejection port. Supposedly they switched back to the old slide on the 10mms and haven't had any more problems. I'm still very hesitant though.

I ended up buying a 6" SL barrel for my G20 also. I was getting some bulging of my brass from the OEM barrel with hot loads. I'm not sure if that is still the case with the new model G20's though.

I just got a grabagun quote for a G40 @ 680. With my dealer transfer and shipping that's $710 out the door. But tis still a Glock :alcoholic:

ETA

And $600 even on a Gen 4 G20.

Ryno12
02-03-16, 15:43
I just got a grabagun quote for a G40 @ 680. With my dealer transfer and shipping that's $710 out the door. But tis still a Glock :alcoholic:

ETA

And $600 even on a Gen 4 G20.

I'd kinda like a G40 MOS. I have a 6" barrel & mini RDS on my G20 & think that would be better served on the 40. But like you said, "tis still a Glock".

nova3930
02-03-16, 15:49
Just realized that was for one with 10rd mags. Everybody is out of stock on the higher capacity models...

A G20SF would be $550 out the door though...

Irritating that when it comes to high cap 10mm the only choices you have are basically the Glock, the EAA and spending $1500+.....

Ryno12
02-03-16, 16:07
Just realized that was for one with 10rd mags. Everybody is out of stock on the higher capacity models...

A G20SF would be $550 out the door though...

Irritating that when it comes to high cap 10mm the only choices you have are basically the Glock, the EAA and spending $1500+.....

I hear ya, that's how I ended up with one. There's even a few extra hundred dollars in mine just to handle hot loads a little better.

The only other one I had considered was the Delta Elite but the lack of case support is a deal breaker.

I'd like another 10mm but I want to be 100% satisfied with my selection to justify it. Right now it doesn't exist.

richiecotite
02-03-16, 16:13
The USP 45 is rated for 45 super with no modifications. Glock can be converted for the price of a new barrel and recoil setup.

If it was me, I'd go with the USP.
But the glock will also allow you the option of 10mm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Averageman
02-03-16, 18:20
The USP 45 is rated for 45 super with no modifications. Glock can be converted for the price of a new barrel and recoil setup.

You know I have heard this posted hear a number of times, but I've never found and H&K link to that.
I own a USPc in 45acp and this might be something I would like to explore.
Can you link me to this?
Thanks

teutonicpolymer
02-03-16, 18:20
Thinking about this more I would be highly tempted to just get a Glock 41 or PPQ .45 and stick with .45 acp and .45 acp +p unless I reloaded, in which case I would for sure go with the Glock 40 or maybe a SIG P220 10mm or 1911 in 10mm.

nova3930
02-03-16, 19:07
See in theory I do reload. In practice with 2 small children and working full time, my reloading gear hasn't been outside a cardboard box since 2013.

Uprange41
02-03-16, 19:28
See in theory I do reload. In practice with 2 small children and working full time, my reloading gear hasn't been outside a cardboard box since 2013.

Same here, sans kids. When 9mm went back to reasonable prices, I went back outside....

But when it comes to 10mm vs 45 super, I would imagine that one could run off-the-shelf .45 ACP without any cycling issues in a .45 Super-oriented gun, negating the need to reload for cheaper ammo.

nova3930
02-03-16, 19:53
Same here, sans kids. When 9mm went back to reasonable prices, I went back outside....

But when it comes to 10mm vs 45 super, I would imagine that one could run off-the-shelf .45 ACP without any cycling issues in a .45 Super-oriented gun, negating the need to reload for cheaper ammo.

Yep. I got my start in college when ammo was cheap and reloading was stupid cheap. I could buy a box of 9mm for $6 and load it for $3. Reloading was a necessity to keep from eating Ramen noodles the whole month lol

Maybe a G21 with a 10mm barrel to start then step up to 460 if I wanna get stupid. I like to have fail safes and having 45 super laying around with ACP is not fail safe.

w3453l
02-03-16, 21:51

Is it also possible to run 45 Super in a USP45c? Or does this only apply to the full size USP45?

teutonicpolymer
02-03-16, 22:27
Yep. I got my start in college when ammo was cheap and reloading was stupid cheap. I could buy a box of 9mm for $6 and load it for $3. Reloading was a necessity to keep from eating Ramen noodles the whole month lol

Maybe a G21 with a 10mm barrel to start then step up to 460 if I wanna get stupid. I like to have fail safes and having 45 super laying around with ACP is not fail safe.

I wouldn't get the G21 to do 10mm because the geometry is not the same. There might be extractor/ejector issues coupled with possible magazine issues- I'm not sure if the bore axis is in the same position in a converted 10mm versus a native 10mm. If I wanted "magnum" power out of the 21 (or 41) I would look at .45 super or .460 rowland.

.45 acp can be pretty cheap now. On sgammo it is 26 cents per round for blazer brass. This is making me want a Glock 41.

nova3930
02-03-16, 23:23
I think I've come full circle back to the G20 anyway. I'm looking at 525 or so total for a G21 plus barrel and springs to go to 45 super. I can get a g20sf for 550 and it's a factory gun, designed for the cartridge from the start.

And if I absolutely hate it, we'll it's a freaking glock, I can get rid of it in about 30 seconds and probably not lose much $ on it.

soulezoo
02-04-16, 13:10
I want a Delta for the collection myself. Shooters always take precedence over more collectible pieces when I add a caliber though.

Caution: 10mm porn ahead

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?120459-Vltor-Fortis-(Bren-Ten)-update/page3

I added the link so one can go to that page to open the pic full size. For whatever reason it won't do it here.

nova3930
02-05-16, 10:03
Stopped by another LGS yesterday afternoon. They had a MINT S&W 1076 they'd just gotten in trade. I was sorely tempted, and still am to an extent. The guys were talking about tossing it on gunbroker but I'm sure I could buy it if I so desired....

Caution: 10mm porn ahead

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?120459-Vltor-Fortis-(Bren-Ten)-update/page3

I added the link so one can go to that page to open the pic full size. For whatever reason it won't do it here.

Nice collection.

ETA

Just put a bid in on G40 on gunbroker, so we'll see what happens. god help me, I might just end up as a Glock owner :secret:

nova3930
02-05-16, 17:41
Took the high cap requirement out back and shot it this afternoon.

Stopped by a different lgs and they had a kimber stainless target ii that someone did a NICE trigger job on with at least a few Wilson combat components for 925 out the door.

I honestly blacked out for a minute, woke up with a wallet 300 lighter and a pistol on lay a way lol

Tzook
02-05-16, 22:02
Glock 40 MOS. That's practically a carbine ;)

nova3930
03-10-16, 16:34
So to resurrect my thread, I pulled my kimber off lay a way yesterday. Then I get home and later in the evening I get an email from the lgs, and they've got glock 21s for $350. So now I have the 10mm AND I'm gonna do a 460 Rowland lol

Unfortunately it's not the 21sf but for 350 I'm not gonna quibble

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/jpd7cJ6dnSWm6LkkVtEjEpcp_833W7xtUcLk2fvDsF9_BJYkE1HPjw5tNnGqQOMPGqt1JrBDfjyWXOhRRgn18Dx817EXmV8sP4UghT8tezgJzJc2b2elzYeCOjotttuJjoplEmmnrqi9iTF2V5NnhPthg2-Pp3SeUj39ZiTFjTQvadqm1_1S61xQlTccLL48Kpo76_D_ERNDr9CcCA8iVE_UtHx8okFYiRdyECz79wudnWzJto6LFxNJyY4QgRsgfpAiFedub7SqL_yrqnJSwAiWE7p2SGBXVExY14cXezYR_27Vp8MykVGcOpYESIMBKx_5XyvQ_Ff6ychJQ7U_6KRel7a69H2G8Bc5Cm2QcTD5IGk1w0XAyX1hSUu1MzPLs-VAWa_PvuzxBb5djlGcpn8efyfiKmICnABZvn0Yx30Q6CN9l6ciHInTNVM7-npTi4_58vaiGKwEVmx_SKBhQsIsC85ysQOpJs2pLPMPyQCqSCtrMWaOgeaQ7Y4vHLJPOFsfPw_0Q7Q1DiPs-fvdvR1g9znFAwbM_ycVEjws3_FFv1UqjJDQRMDSF-99keV6N4D1=w2048-h1152-no

Double3
03-11-16, 07:19
So to resurrect my thread, I pulled my kimber off lay a way yesterday. Then I get home and later in the evening I get an email from the lgs, and they've got glock 21s for $350. So now I have the 10mm AND I'm gonna do a 460 Rowland lol

Unfortunately it's not the 21sf but for 350 I'm not gonna quibble

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/jpd7cJ6dnSWm6LkkVtEjEpcp_833W7xtUcLk2fvDsF9_BJYkE1HPjw5tNnGqQOMPGqt1JrBDfjyWXOhRRgn18Dx817EXmV8sP4UghT8tezgJzJc2b2elzYeCOjotttuJjoplEmmnrqi9iTF2V5NnhPthg2-Pp3SeUj39ZiTFjTQvadqm1_1S61xQlTccLL48Kpo76_D_ERNDr9CcCA8iVE_UtHx8okFYiRdyECz79wudnWzJto6LFxNJyY4QgRsgfpAiFedub7SqL_yrqnJSwAiWE7p2SGBXVExY14cXezYR_27Vp8MykVGcOpYESIMBKx_5XyvQ_Ff6ychJQ7U_6KRel7a69H2G8Bc5Cm2QcTD5IGk1w0XAyX1hSUu1MzPLs-VAWa_PvuzxBb5djlGcpn8efyfiKmICnABZvn0Yx30Q6CN9l6ciHInTNVM7-npTi4_58vaiGKwEVmx_SKBhQsIsC85ysQOpJs2pLPMPyQCqSCtrMWaOgeaQ7Y4vHLJPOFsfPw_0Q7Q1DiPs-fvdvR1g9znFAwbM_ycVEjws3_FFv1UqjJDQRMDSF-99keV6N4D1=w2048-h1152-no

Wow $350?

New?

nova3930
03-11-16, 08:16
Wow $350?

New?

No. LE trade ins. The one I got has some holster wear but looks like it's barely been fired.

domestique
03-11-16, 09:15
Picture isn't showing up.

That's a great price. Buy a conversion barrel and 15 dollar worth of new springs...... and you still come out cheaper then factory new.

Tip: make sure you get a heavier recoil spring for the 10mm and 460 Rowland loads.

nova3930
03-11-16, 10:25
Picture isn't showing up.

That's a great price. Buy a conversion barrel and 15 dollar worth of new springs...... and you still come out cheaper then factory new.

Tip: make sure you get a heavier recoil spring for the 10mm and 460 Rowland loads.

Glock is just going 460. The kimber is a factory 10mm that's supposed to be good for hot loads

Google photo sharing sucks, let me see what I can do

Eta

Try this

http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/r571/nova3930/Mobile%20Uploads/20160310_160734_zpsjl8rg13r.jpg (http://s1172.photobucket.com/user/nova3930/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20160310_160734_zpsjl8rg13r.jpg.html)

scubadds
05-05-16, 09:53
I had a Stock III EAA/tanfoglio 10mm, but sold it to fund another gun purchase; I didn't shoot it much, but now have some regrets about letting it go....

I have 2 Smith 1006's and was fortunate enough to get a good supply of magazines.
They can handle the stoutest of loads, but I have not gotten around to reloading 10mm yet, but I do have 2-3 gallons of brass.
I carry the Smith at our farm as there are all sorts of wild critters there...

nova3930
05-05-16, 13:05
The kimber is so damn fun I may still eventually had a G20 and a Witness lol