PDA

View Full Version : Loose take down pins?

BrianXD
10-06-06, 19:22
Bought a used, but unfired Colt LE6920. Noticed right away that it took very little pressure to remove both take down pins. shot a round of about 20 rapid fire shots today and while I was manually locking the action back, the forward take down pin actually fell out.

Ever heard of this? What can I do to fix it?

k9dpd
10-06-06, 19:34
were the spring and detent installed?

Bloodbathdisplay
10-06-06, 19:44
If none of the springs are binding up, I would replace the detent pins, springs and the pivot/push pins. If the springs are binding somewhere then the detent pins don't have any tension and are kind of floating and would allow the push pins to move freely. If there is a bind take a drill bit that is roughly the same size as the hole where the spring resides and clean them out...you probably don't even need a drill just the bit and shove it in there to knock any burs loose. Hope this helps.

BrianXD
10-07-06, 03:47
Thanks.. I will check/replace the pins and springs

HAMMERDROP
10-07-06, 14:10
It eliminates the detent and the spring and wont come out unless you make a conscious effort to do so.
I know somebody is going to suggest that it can be lost if its not capitvated and hence lost in the field then whatcha' gonna do ? Hell I can lose my truck if I forget where I park it ...and others are gonna say only posers would drop in such a piece. I think they are an excellent option to mushy take down pins.
I have both 'Take Down' and ' Pivot Pins' in place and have no qualms at all with the loss of four tiny parts which stay in place ( except on Colts ? ) but you cant lose or wear down what you dont have.