PDA

View Full Version : How important is buffer system in build?

MrTuna
01-31-16, 17:24
I am building my first AR 15 chambered in 5.56. It's going to be an 18" barrel rifle length gas system type build. SPR type but not clone. I can see buying the top of the line parts gets very expensive.
Parts left to buy are:
Buffer system, gas block & tube, trigger, ambi selector, and charging handle.
I know that the trigger is important to get a quality one.
How important it is to get a top buffer system like the Vltor A5 buffer system?

Thanks for helping a newbie!

Sent from my bunker in the desert using Tapatalk

Leuthas
01-31-16, 17:44
The Vltor A5 system is excellent, but not at all mandatory for your planned system.

If you're trying to cut costs, that's fine, but I'd avoid skimping on the receiver extension tube itself, and see that it is properly staked.

MrTuna
01-31-16, 17:49
The Vltor A5 system is excellent, but not at all mandatory for your planned system.

If you're trying to cut costs, that's fine, but I'd avoid skimping on the receiver extension tube itself, and see that it is properly staked.

Is that the same as Buffer tube? Milspec high quality then? I know what a staked gas key is but don't know about staked extension tube.

Thanks!

tom12.7
01-31-16, 17:49
I do not see any reason to not to use an A5 like in terms of function when going with a system that is an A5 or rifle like over the carbine action type systems. The base system lacks time for events among other things, the A5 or rifle like system can help with the carbine action issues.

SteveL
01-31-16, 18:04
Is that the same as Buffer tube? Milspec high quality then? I know what a staked gas key is but don't know about staked extension tube.

Thanks!

Yes. The correct term is 'receiver extension' but people often call it the buffer tube.

You don't stake the tube itself. You stake the end plate into the notches on the castle nut.

And FWIW I would always use the A5 system myself.

MrTuna
01-31-16, 18:31
Yes. The correct term is 'receiver extension' but people often call it the buffer tube.

You don't stake the tube itself. You stake the end plate into the notches on the castle nut.

And FWIW I would always use the A5 system myself.

Thanks,
I will look for a good A5 system. Any suggestions for one that is not super expensive?

nick1169
01-31-16, 18:34
Getting the right buffer all depends on your intended use for the weapon. If you are planning on shooting only one type and same brand of ammo then you can fine tune your buffer and spring to make it cycle as smooth as can be and will actually reduce felt recoil the smoother it is. If you want it to eat whatever ammo you feed it, generally speaking, you want the heaviest buffer/spring combo you can run without the weapon short stroking. Some gas blocks are better than others, some are adjustable and some are not. Too little gas, you will short stroke and need a lighter buffer and spring to compensate. Too much gas you slam the buffer into the rear of the extension and wear down your internals and need a heavier buffer/spring combo to compensate. Best advice is to start with a standard carbine buffer or a H buffer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kenneth
01-31-16, 18:35
BCM has them for $99 that includes spring, buffer, castle nut, and quick release end plate.

MrTuna
01-31-16, 18:39
Thanks! Since I am not knowledgeable enough to tune buffers and adjustable gas blocks I will just go with standard parts. I don't reload and want it to cycle all ammo like my Colt 6920 does.

_Stormin_
01-31-16, 18:59
A link to BCM's site for the A5 buffer system. (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Intermediate-Buffer-System-A5-Kit-p/bcm-intermediate-shk.htm)

A lot of people on here will mention that they only run A5s. I have a mix of everything right now, but the A5 is still my favorite.

MrTuna
01-31-16, 19:05
A link to BCM's site for the A5 buffer system. (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Intermediate-Buffer-System-A5-Kit-p/bcm-intermediate-shk.htm)

A lot of people on here will mention that they only run A5s. I have a mix of everything right now, but the A5 is still my favorite.

Nice!
Thanks! I will order one.

titsonritz
01-31-16, 19:08
I wanted a heavier buffer so I got the BCM A5 receiver extension but I bought the Vltor buffer/spring kit to go with it, Vltor A5H0 Buffer (3.8oz) vs. Vltor A5H2 (5.3oz)

Auto-X Fil
01-31-16, 19:12
I prefer the A5, but any good mil-spec H buffer system will be just fine for a normal build like this.

If you aren't a lefty, you can skip the ambi selector. For an SPR I see no point - in fact, I don't like it interfering with my trigger finger. I don't even use one on my CQB carbine, although I've used them in that app before and they were fine.

A charging handle with big latch can be really nice if you're running a scope that interferes with the handle and latch. I suggest the BCM Gunfighter handle with the largest latch for a scoped gun.

I've used cheap gas tubes with zero issues. Gas blocks are harder to make well - I suggest this $39 Geisselle block. Low-bling, high quality, low price.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/gas-system-parts/gas-blocks/ar-15-m16-super-gas-block-low-profile-prod56211.aspx?avs%7cSpecial-Filters_1=In+Stock

MrTuna
01-31-16, 19:18
I prefer the A5, but any good mil-spec H buffer system will be just fine for a normal build like this.

If you aren't a lefty, you can skip the ambi selector. For an SPR I see no point - in fact, I don't like it interfering with my trigger finger. I don't even use one on my CQB carbine, although I've used them in that app before and they were fine.

A charging handle with big latch can be really nice if you're running a scope that interferes with the handle and latch. I suggest the BCM Gunfighter handle with the largest latch for a scoped gun.

I've used cheap gas tubes with zero issues. Gas blocks are harder to make well - I suggest this $39 Geisselle block. Low-bling, high quality, low price.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/gas-system-parts/gas-blocks/ar-15-m16-super-gas-block-low-profile-prod56211.aspx?avs%7cSpecial-Filters_1=In+Stock

If you have an ambi lower don't you have to install an ambi selector? I have a Mega ambi lower. Sorry for the newbie questions.
Thanks for the gas block recommendation!

Auto-X Fil
01-31-16, 19:21
As far as I know, ambi lowers are ambi bolt release. I've never seen one that has specific provisions for an ambi selector, which work on any lower.

MrTuna
01-31-16, 19:26
As far as I know, ambi lowers are ambi bolt release. I've never seen one that has specific provisions for an ambi selector, which work on any lower.

Ok you're right. I looked it over.

SteveL
01-31-16, 19:28
As noted, on an A5 system I would start with the A5H2 buffer. The BCM kit I believe comes with the lighter A5H0. You can also get kits from Vltor. Note the Vltor tube has 7 positions vs the BCM's 8.

And you do not have to run an Ambi safety if you don't want to. If you want a nice safety you can get a BAD and IIRC they offer a plug to put on one side so it's not ambi.

Kenneth
01-31-16, 19:30
For the people who are running 14.5 mid length do y'all think the A5 is smother then a carbine spring and a H2 buffer?

If so would the lightest buffer be an upgrade? I have read that the 14.5 mid lengths have issues with the A5 system.

MrTuna
01-31-16, 19:36
As noted, on an A5 system I would start with the A5H2 buffer. The BCM kit I believe comes with the lighter A5H0. You can also get kits from Vltor. Note the Vltor tube has 7 positions vs the BCM's 8.

And you do not have to run an Ambi safety if you don't want to. If you want a nice safety you can get a BAD and IIRC they offer a plug to put on one side so it's not ambi.

Does the spring weight I need change with the A5H2? I don't want to spend the money for the full Vltor system if I don't need to.

_Stormin_
01-31-16, 19:45
Same rifle length spring with every buffer.

_Stormin_
01-31-16, 19:46
If so would the lightest buffer be an upgrade? I have read that the 14.5 mid lengths have issues with the A5 system.

Zero issues in mine. 14.5 middy from BCM. A5H1 buffer. Runs like a swiss watch.

SteveL
01-31-16, 20:46
Does the spring weight I need change with the A5H2? I don't want to spend the money for the full Vltor system if I don't need to.

A5 system uses a standard rifle action spring or you can use a Sprinco green spring for any A5 buffer weight. Note that A5 buffers and springs are not interchangeable with standard carbine buffers and springs.

MrTuna
01-31-16, 20:56
Cool, I see the Vltor SP-A5 buffer system is $50 and A5 receiver extension is $50. That's not bad for a nice system.

Clint
02-06-16, 19:30
I am building my first AR 15 chambered in 5.56. It's going to be an 18" barrel rifle length gas system type build. SPR type but not clone.

Which barrel are you using and how big is the gas port?

The 18" rifle can be a little more sensitive to gas leaks, gas port size and buffer weight than some other configurations, but will work great if properly sized and assembled with quality components.

MrTuna
02-06-16, 20:11
Which barrel are you using and how big is the gas port?

The 18" rifle can be a little more sensitive to gas leaks, gas port size and buffer weight than some other configurations, but will work great if properly sized and assembled with quality components.

I have the Wilson Combat 18" 5.56 SPR barrel that is designed for a rifle length gas system. I ended buying the Vltor A5 system with the Emod buttstock. It has the A5H2 buffer.