PDA

View Full Version : The 9 Triggers of Rage

WillBrink
02-01-16, 12:43
I listened to an interview with Dr. Fields on NPR (http://wlrn.org/programs/topical-currents) and it was very interesting, so I looked up his info. I ordered it via Amazon, but here's the basics:

What causes people to just "snap" into rage? Being stuck in traffic, waiting for your favorite Netflix show to load, someone cutting in front of you in line or even being "hangry" - these are all situations where many find themselves suddenly erupting in a fit of rage. While there may be numerous psychological, emotional and personal history factors that could explain why individual people just “snap,” one book explores what triggers anger based on neurobiology.

According to author and neurobiologist R. Douglas Fields, there are nine triggers in the brain that cause outbursts of sometimes uncontrollable anger. He refers to these triggers using the mnemonic "LIFEMORTS," which also refers to the first trigger: Life and Death ("morts" is the French word for death) situations.

The nine triggers, as identified by Fields, are the following:

L - Life or Limb / Survival

I - Insult

F - Family / Maternal Aggression

E - Environment / Territorialism

M - Mate

O - Organization

R - Resources / Lack of Resources

T - Tribe / “Us and Them” Mentality

S - Stop – Being Trapped, Restrained or Cornered

Fields goes into more detail into these triggers and how various life situations set off these responses in the brain in his book “Why We Snap: Understanding the Rage Circuit in Your Brain.”

A crude remark made about a man's wife or girlfriend, for example, which escalates into a bar fight is a situation that triggers the M (Mate rage) circuit, while being cut in front of as you're driving is a more complex situation that actually touches upon all nine LIFEMORTS triggers.

Fields also describes how politicians and political campaigns are often masters of manipulating these triggers – particularly the T (Tribe) and E (Environment) triggers. The important thing to remember, he says, is to see instead how these triggers can help in uniting people in empathy and seeing how different people can belong to the same community (tribe) rather then letting those triggers lead to anger.

Fields goes into more details how the brain may sometimes send false warnings due to these triggers, and these are situations when a person may snap and just as suddenly think better of the situation and allow their anger to subside. He notes that understanding the LIFEMORTS triggers is an important tool for those with anger management issues to be able to ascertain if something is really worth being angry about or not.

“Once you can recognize why you are angry, rather than suppress it, suddenly it goes away. Suddenly it’s disarmed. It’s a misfire,” Fields says in an interview about his book.

Book:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SI02CTQ/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00SI02CTQ&linkCode=as2&tag=creatihemisp-20&linkId=RQ7S6PDLXIWMYKNG

FromMyColdDeadHand
02-01-16, 13:59
They need to turn it into a Simpson's episode so I can understand it. The one where Homer might die is how I can access the Five Stages of Grief; denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance.

https://youtu.be/8U35Y7swvRg

Averageman
02-01-16, 14:34
Honestly I think about six of those can be related to traffic.
Nothing is more aggravating than poor driving under stressful conditions. I'm sure someone, somehow could look at LA traffic close enough and easily explain Charles Manson.

WillBrink
02-01-16, 14:45
Honestly I think about six of those can be related to traffic.
Nothing is more aggravating than poor driving under stressful conditions. I'm sure someone, somehow could look at LA traffic close enough and easily explain Charles Manson.

In the interview linked, "Road Rage" is discussed as an excellent example of those triggers.

SteyrAUG
02-01-16, 15:11
Which one is the one where you honestly can't believe the endless amount of bullshit you seemingly put up with on a daily basis from people who were never taught any better or are simply indifferent to the stress and pain they cause those around them to the point you contemplate the actual value of life and your own existence under the current conditions and begin looking for a bell tower with a great vantage point in relation to high density concentrations of the people just described?

Right now I just call it Tuesday.

SteyrAUG
02-01-16, 15:16
“Once you can recognize why you are angry, rather than suppress it, suddenly it goes away. Suddenly it’s disarmed. It’s a misfire,” Fields says in an interview about his book.

Well that's a load of crap.

Lat's take "Mate" for example. Harm my wife and I understand EXACTLY why I'm angry and violent. But that realization doesn't make it go away until the actor has been corrected. Of course I really don't "rage" in the first place, it's a dangerous habit. I try and be as methodical as possible when it comes to expressing anger through the medium of violence.

Firefly
02-01-16, 15:29
So in other words, 9 ways not to piss people off.

But what angers me most is...like....ever see that movie with Phoebe Cates called Paradise? It was like Blue Lagoon but with Phoebe Cates thus superior.

Right now there are people running around butt naked, fishing all day, fornicating all night, never working, no politics....

And I'm stuck here.

That pisses me off. Nothing anyone can do or anything anyone did, just sharing.

turnburglar
02-01-16, 15:48

But what angers me most is...like....ever see that movie with Phoebe Cates called Paradise? It was like Blue Lagoon but with Phoebe Cates thus superior.

Right now there are people running around butt naked, fishing all day, fornicating all night, never working, no politics....

And I'm stuck here.

Land nav your way to paradise man!!!

tb-av
02-01-16, 15:52

Well, since you are pissed off, you might as well sit down and have a good cry.....

"Ladies and Gentlemen.... The President of The United states, Hillary Rodham Clinton"

Consider that practice so it won't be so shocking to your system.

26 Inf
02-01-16, 15:58
Will - I hope it is a good read, I fell prey to the Amazon 1-click siren song.

tb-av
02-01-16, 16:00
Of course I really don't "rage" in the first place, it's a dangerous habit.

I don't think I have ever actually had rage. I had a friend that would kinda rage be he would never hurt anyone, he sort of raged towards himself. Or rant/rage I guess you might call it.

Dienekes
02-01-16, 16:38
I think I took Psych 101 from that guy. All I got out of the course was a sense of kinship to the lab rats.

Waylander
02-01-16, 17:23

WillBrink
02-01-16, 17:24
Will - I hope it is a good read, I fell prey to the Amazon 1-click siren song.

The 1 Click is the most insidious invention of all time and who ever thought of it a genius. The interview linked is free and worth a listen if one does not want to read an entire book on the topic.

SteyrAUG
02-01-16, 18:53

And I'm stuck here.

Go watch "Private School" (1983) with Phoebe Cates and you'll feel much better. Of course the actual draw of that film is Betsy Russell.

Firefly
02-01-16, 20:54
Go watch "Private School" (1983) with Phoebe Cates and you'll feel much better. Of course the actual draw of that film is Betsy Russell.

Actually, Private Joker making out with muh woman really does piss me off.
Man....but that was a good movie. Up there with such classic cinema as Meatballs II and Stripes

SteyrAUG
02-01-16, 21:07
Actually, Private Joker making out with muh woman really does piss me off.
Man....but that was a good movie. Up there with such classic cinema as Meatballs II and Stripes

You can't put Meatballs II and Stripes in the same category. Meatballs and Stripes maybe, but not Meatballs II. I honestly can't even remember Meatballs II.

Firefly
02-01-16, 21:28
You can't put Meatballs II and Stripes in the same category. Meatballs and Stripes maybe, but not Meatballs II. I honestly can't even remember Meatballs II.

Meatballs II was a classic. It had Meathead the alien..who smoked pot, it had John Laroquette as the gay military school guy, it had this badass kid with the mechanical wheelchair.

It was so rad.

SteyrAUG
02-01-16, 21:33
Meatballs II was a classic. It had Meathead the alien..who smoked pot, it had John Laroquette as the gay military school guy, it had this badass kid with the mechanical wheelchair.

It was so rad.

Sounds like it's right up there with Smokey and the Bandit III.

Firefly
02-01-16, 21:43

Man...you're kinda losing your 80s cool points, Steyr....

You're acting like Meatballs II was like The Jerk Too or something. It had Punky Brewsters adopted dad...Pee Wee Herman and Dan "John Laroquette" Fielding.

You probably didn't like Up the Academy either....

Big A
02-01-16, 22:00
That movie does not exist. There is only Smokey and the Bandit 1 & Pontiac gave us a couple of cars and a buncha money so what the hell, let's make another one...with an elephant...

You know it's bad when 80's Burt Reynolds tells Hal Needham "Nah bro, I'm good."

SteyrAUG
02-01-16, 23:31
Man...you're kinda losing your 80s cool points, Steyr....

You're acting like Meatballs II was like The Jerk Too or something. It had Punky Brewsters adopted dad...Pee Wee Herman and Dan "John Laroquette" Fielding.

You probably didn't like Up the Academy either....

Hilariously scary. I nearly mentioned "Up the Academy" but that one is magnitudes better than Meatballs II. Meatballs II is like a turd in the punch bowl.

MegademiC
02-02-16, 14:11

And I'm stuck here.

"Tribe" you're not them, so your angry.

Now that you realize it, see you're not angry anymore.

Outlander Systems
02-02-16, 14:28
10) Flicking off motorcyclists

FromMyColdDeadHand
02-02-16, 15:02

Cross thread win.

Outlander Systems
02-02-16, 15:16
; )

Bonus point for same OP.

Cross thread win.

Moose-Knuckle
02-03-16, 02:42

Rebuttal: stunting riders needlessly endangering cagers via their exhibitions. ;)