PDA

View Full Version : COLT AR15A4 AVAILABLE AGAIN

casador
02-01-16, 15:06
Hello guy's just wanted to let you know, Colt just finished a production run of AR15A4's. I just picked up one today. As you all know these rifles have been almost impossible to find and when one was found usually they wanted a lot more over MSRP.

For the Colt guy's here I would like to relate some quick observations. The upper receiver is marked M4, the bottom receiver has the key hole mark yet the upper has the C & box mark. I understand these are foundry marks?? My M4 Carbine has the key hole mark on both upper and lower.

I was under the impresion that the AR15A4's had the heavy barrels, not the normal tapered lighter weight barrel's?? also this rifle has the ambidextrous safety something that the military version does not.

Overall I have to say that I LIKE IT, but then Iv'e alway's been a Colt guy, except this year I did get an FN Military Collector Edition A4 but that's another story and I don't want to start another pissing match here between the Colt guy's and everybody else.....

Airhasz
02-01-16, 16:42
Post some pics when you get a chance.:)

foxtrotx1
02-02-16, 02:56
Hello guy's just wanted to let you know, Colt just finished a production run of AR15A4's. I just picked up one today. As you all know these rifles have been almost impossible to find and when one was found usually they wanted a lot more over MSRP.

For the Colt guy's here I would like to relate some quick observations. The upper receiver is marked M4, the bottom receiver has the key hole mark yet the upper has the C & box mark. I understand these are foundry marks?? My M4 Carbine has the key hole mark on both upper and lower.

I was under the impresion that the AR15A4's had the heavy barrels, not the normal tapered lighter weight barrel's?? also this rifle has the ambidextrous safety something that the military version does not.

Overall I have to say that I LIKE IT, but then Iv'e alway's been a Colt guy, except this year I did get an FN Military Collector Edition A4 but that's another story and I don't want to start another pissing match here between the Colt guy's and everybody else.....

The colt has a government profile, light under the hand guards, heavy at the end.

No need for the pissing match, no comparison in quality between the Colt and the FN. :cool:

BatteryOperated
02-02-16, 09:02
Actually, I was looking for one of these until I found an AK-74. The X-mas money was just burning too big a hole in my pocket, and I could not wait any longer.

BTW, you might get more responses if you posted in the AR General Discussion section instead of the Other Semi-Automatic Rifles section. Hopefully a Mod will move to the correct sub forum.;)

casador
02-02-16, 09:37
The colt has a government profile, light under the hand guards, heavy at the end.

No need for the pissing match, no comparison in quality between the Colt and the FN. :cool:

Ok, so what your saying is that I was misinformed, the Colt A4's should NOT have the heavy weight barrel, it is correct with the military light profile barrel?. Q: Do the military issued A4's also have the same barrel?.

As far as the pissing contest; What are you referring to when you say "Quality" do you mean fit and finish and funtsion or are you referring to the fact that according to what is known, only Colt can build a totally MilSpec commercial rifle, and that FN can not? I ask this because if you are referring to the MilSpec issue I would agree with you with no problem, but if it's fit and finish then I don't agree. Last night I had both out, the FN MC and the Colt A4 I just picked up, and I have to say the finish on the FN is nicer. Iv'e put approximately 500 rounds through the FN with out a single issue. My opinion is that as far as product quality both Colt & FN are very well made rifles and they are just as reliable. Yes" Colt has the MilSpec rights and FN may not but I don't agree to just arbitrarily suggest that FN doesn't even comes close.

For me personally Colt will alway's be my first pick, it would have been nice that Colt would have been the one to come out with a version of a military collector instead of FN.

556Cliff
02-02-16, 09:47
Did it come with an "F" height FSB?

Also, both the commercial AR15A4 and military M16A4 have the same gov't profile barrel, except the AR15A4 has M4 feed ramps and the M16A4 does not.

casador
02-02-16, 09:56
Did it come with an "F" height FSB?

Also, both the commercial AR15A4 and military M16A4 have the same gov't profile barrel, except the AR15A4 has M4 feed ramps and the M16A4 does not.

My Colt AR15A4 has the "F" FSB, so does the FN by the way.

556Cliff
02-02-16, 10:12
My Colt AR15A4 has the "F" FSB, so does the FN by the way.

Good! I'm pretty sure the FN also has M4 feed ramps?

I'm very unsure of the material used in the FN receiver extensions, I could never find out if they are made of 7075 or 6061. 7075 being the better grade of aluminum used for Colt receiver extensions.

casador
02-02-16, 10:21
Good! I'm pretty sure the FN also has M4 feed ramps?

I'm very unsure of the material used in the FN receiver extensions, I could never find out if they are made of 7075 or 6061. 7075 being the better grade of aluminum used for Colt receiver extensions.

Yea" I have no idea about that either, maybe somebody can chime in with that info. I'm taking this one to the range today, will report later.

foxtrotx1
02-02-16, 13:53
Ok, so what your saying is that I was misinformed, the Colt A4's should NOT have the heavy weight barrel, it is correct with the military light profile barrel?. Q: Do the military issued A4's also have the same barrel?.

As far as the pissing contest; What are you referring to when you say "Quality" do you mean fit and finish and funtsion or are you referring to the fact that according to what is known, only Colt can build a totally MilSpec commercial rifle, and that FN can not? I ask this because if you are referring to the MilSpec issue I would agree with you with no problem, but if it's fit and finish then I don't agree. Last night I had both out, the FN MC and the Colt A4 I just picked up, and I have to say the finish on the FN is nicer. Iv'e put approximately 500 rounds through the FN with out a single issue. My opinion is that as far as product quality both Colt & FN are very well made rifles and they are just as reliable. Yes" Colt has the MilSpec rights and FN may not but I don't agree to just arbitrarily suggest that FN doesn't even comes close.

For me personally Colt will alway's be my first pick, it would have been nice that Colt would have been the one to come out with a version of a military collector instead of FN.

I'm referring to how closely the rifles resemble the specifications to which the m16 is actually made. I don't worry about fit and finish on ARs. Beretta Silver pigeon? yeah sure. AR? not so much :D

Glad the FN is working out for you, I don't think many will ever notice the difference. However if the price was the same or better, I'd rather have it as close as possible.

556Cliff
02-02-16, 14:42
What about the trap doors in the butt plates on both the Colt and FN rifles, are they both plastic?

Doc Safari
02-02-16, 16:30
In for pics.

casador
02-02-16, 17:08
What about the trap doors in the butt plates on both the Colt and FN rifles, are they both plastic?
556CLiff,

The trap doors on both the Colt and the FN are plastic.

casador
02-02-16, 17:26
Ok Guy's I slapped an Acog on the rifle and took it to the range today, I shot 100 rounds of Federal XM223SP1 62 grn ammo. This is the stuff that is being used by a lot of police departments. It is a soft lead tip ammo that forms a nice little mushroom when it strikes something, it's good hunting ammo too. This ammo has worked very well for me in several different rifles. Taking into account the military trigger in this Colt, it shot very well, I got several groups in 1 1/2 to just under 2in at 100 yards. The rifle worked just as expected, I'm very pleased with it.

556Cliff
02-02-16, 19:11
556CLiff,

The trap doors on both the Colt and the FN are plastic.

Interesting, I wonder if the plastic trap door is standard for the military as well.

ZGXtreme
02-02-16, 22:47
Interesting, I wonder if the plastic trap door is standard for the military as well.

If I recall correctly, when we unpackaged our then new to the fleet A4's in '03 they felt plastic.

Gumier6
02-03-16, 00:22
No stoppages with the Colt?

OP, the rifles don't have a "heavy" barrel contour like say the HBAR, but rather the "government profile" barrel which is essentially a lightweight barrel until the FSB and further, where the barrel broadens into a more medium contour. I believe it was something to do with mounting a M203 grenade launcher and/or prevent barrel damage during bayonet use. Many here think its a rather stupid profile for those of us not owning grenade/flare launchers, since its front heavy. That said, if I wanted an A4 (I do) I'd want it for authenticity.

Moose-Knuckle
02-03-16, 03:05
BTW, you might get more responses if you posted in the AR General Discussion section instead of the Other Semi-Automatic Rifles section. Hopefully a Mod will move to the correct sub forum.;)

Yeah, I had to do a double take to ensure I was in the correct technical sub-forum their for a minute.

casador
02-03-16, 20:39
Yeah, I had to do a double take to ensure I was in the correct technical sub-forum their for a minute.
Yea, I should have posted this on the General AR section, I don't know if this post could be transferred there now? I placed this post because after almost a year I finally got one of these A4's from Colt, I thought the guy's here would be interested to know that Colt is producing these again even if on a limited basis. Maybe it's me but it seems that the plastic hand-guards and pistol grip are made of a thinner plastic, they feel different from my pre-ban H-Bar. I'm not worried about that because I'm replacing the hand-guards with a Nights Armament rail...

JC5188
02-04-16, 04:47
Ok Guy's I slapped an Acog on the rifle and took it to the range today, I shot 100 rounds of Federal XM223SP1 62 grn ammo. This is the stuff that is being used by a lot of police departments. It is a soft lead tip ammo that forms a nice little mushroom when it strikes something, it's good hunting ammo too. This ammo has worked very well for me in several different rifles. Taking into account the military trigger in this Colt, it shot very well, I got several groups in 1 1/2 to just under 2in at 100 yards. The rifle worked just as expected, I'm very pleased with it.

How about slapping some PICS on us bro? I'd especially like to see the markings.

Congrats on finding her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dionysusigma
02-04-16, 17:45
I'm not worried about that, because I'm replacing the hand-guards with a Knights Armament rail...

As long as you're going that route, don't forget the TA31RCO-A4 ACOG and Blackhawk Universal 3-Point Sling. :D (... might be dating myself here)

casador
02-04-16, 20:43
As long as you're going that route, don't forget the TA31RCO-A4 ACOG and Blackhawk Universal 3-Point Sling. :D (... might be dating myself here)
The Nights Armament rail is on the way, and I'm putting a Leopold Mark4 4-10X40 M1, I need to do something with the trigger it's a little heavy..

Jay H
02-04-16, 21:35

Correct. But that doesn't mean the Colt isn't a great gun too!

PaLEOjd
02-04-16, 22:25
I have been looking to get a Colt AR15A4 for a year now and keep striking out. I wish Colt would make enough of these for gun shops to keep on the shelves. My local LE dealer hasn't had any either but has plenty of 6920's.
I've been tempted to go the BCM route with the rifle but I'm trying to hold out for the Colt. I was really excited when FN introduced their military collectors BUT they don't resemble the M16's like I thought they would, disappointing......Still waiting on Colt, hopefully not much longer.

Sent from my iPhone6
via TapaTalk

ZGXtreme
02-04-16, 22:27

The Blackhawk sling nails it lol. I'm trying to plan on doing mine like my OIF 2 rifle but it's hard accepting some of the items we used, i.e. items such as that sling.

foxtrotx1
02-05-16, 10:14
I have been looking to get a Colt AR15A4 for a year now and keep striking out. I wish Colt would make enough of these for gun shops to keep on the shelves. My local LE dealer hasn't had any either but has plenty of 6920's.
I've been tempted to go the BCM route with the rifle but I'm trying to hold out for the Colt. I was really excited when FN introduced their military collectors BUT they don't resemble the M16's like I thought they would, disappointing......Still waiting on Colt, hopefully not much longer.

Sent from my iPhone6
via TapaTalk

Last time I checked G&R tactical still had them.

Ryno12
02-05-16, 10:20
Post some pics when you get a chance.:)

In for pics.

How about slapping some PICS on us bro? I'd especially like to see the markings.

Congrats on finding her.

It appears as though you guys are getting blown off...

Last time I checked G&R tactical still had them.
Nope, not for quite awhile.

JC5188
02-05-16, 12:50
It appears as though you guys are getting blown off....

No kidding. I'd settle for a hand sketch at this point.

casador
02-05-16, 13:36
No kidding. I'd settle for a hand sketch at this point.

Guy's I took some pic's of this rifle, I will try to see if I can post them...

casador
02-05-16, 13:57
3757237571[/ATTACHHere's the Colt and I took one of the FN for comparison....37570

JC5188
02-05-16, 14:56
3757237571[/ATTACHHere's the Colt and I took one of the FN for comparison....37570

Very nice. If you get a minute, I'd still like to see the forge marks, etc you mentioned in the first post.

Congrats again. Always cool to add shooters to the safe.

casador
02-05-16, 15:02
Very nice. If you get a minute, I'd still like to see the forge marks, etc you mentioned in the first post.

Congrats again. Always cool to add shooters to the safe.

The forge marks on the Colt is the key hole at the pistol grip area, and the little box on the upper next to the C. The forge marks on the FN is the Key hole on both bottom and upper receiver. Funny, on my Colt M4 it's the key hole mark on both upper and lower. Don't know if this means anything good or bad... Note: if you look at the full length picture of the Colt you can make out the Key hole mark next to trigger, and the Box and C mark under the rear sight. I tell you to check this because my camera won't let me get close enough. Need to buy a macro lens, that's new on the list of new toy's....

JC5188
02-05-16, 17:23
The forge marks on the Colt is the key hole at the pistol grip area, and the little box on the upper next to the C. The forge marks on the FN is the Key hole on both bottom and upper receiver. Funny, on my Colt M4 it's the key hole mark on both upper and lower. Don't know if this means anything good or bad... Note: if you look at the full length picture of the Colt you can make out the Key hole mark next to trigger, and the Box and C mark under the rear sight. I tell you to check this because my camera won't let me get close enough. Need to buy a macro lens, that's new on the list of new toy's....

Interesting. That's the same lower receiver mark my LE6900 had, which was a contract rifle. My current M4 does not have the mark on the lower. Do they mix and match these receivers?

casador
02-05-16, 18:28
Interesting. That's the same lower receiver mark my LE6900 had, which was a contract rifle. My current M4 does not have the mark on the lower. Do they mix and match these receivers?

I think they do, the upper on this rifle has the M4 stamp on the front edge of the top rail like the M4 carbines do. I think they use what they have on hand. As long as that "C" is on the upper is all that matters to me. Just a side note, I put both rifles (Colt/FN) side by side and the FN is not quite 1/4" longer than the Colt, so it's not a 1/2" or an 1" like some people have been claiming..

PaLEOjd
02-05-16, 21:48
Am I seeing that correctly....Safe / FIRE / Auto, come on FN really?
Isn't that rifle supposed to be a direct copy of the military issued M16?
The only thing I like better out of the box with the FN is the rail & covers but that can be easily done to the Colt.

If you don't mind sharing, what was the price difference between the two? I'm assuming the FN cost more seeing it's marketed as a special edition......

Sent from my iPhone6
via TapaTalk

bigwagon
02-05-16, 22:32

I just bought a couple of Anderson lowers with the keyhole forge mark near the trigger guard. They are the only other lowers I've ever seen with a forge mark in that location.

casador
02-05-16, 22:51
bigwagon,

Should be BURST not AUTO, would be nice to know why FN did that since these rifle are supposed to be as close to the real thing as possible. As far as to what I paid, $800 for the Colt and a little over $1500 for the FN. It's a long story so I'll give you the short one. I got tired of waiting for the Colt so I got the FN, last week I finally got the Colt so the FN will go on GB soon....

JC5188
02-06-16, 06:24
I think they do, the upper on this rifle has the M4 stamp on the front edge of the top rail like the M4 carbines do. I think they use what they have on hand. As long as that "C" is on the upper is all that matters to me. Just a side note, I put both rifles (Colt/FN) side by side and the FN is not quite 1/4" longer than the Colt, so it's not a 1/2" or an 1" like some people have been claiming..

That makes sense, then.

JC5188
02-06-16, 06:28
I just bought a couple of Anderson lowers with the keyhole forge mark near the trigger guard. They are the only other lowers I've ever seen with a forge mark in that location.

Yeah I had only seen it on the 6900 rifle, which hand an integral trigger guard. So it wasn't the same lower. But it did have the mark.

As long as it's Cerro, and as long as it's got the C stamp as casador mentioned, I'm not too concerned about the colt rifles.

Lots of people use Aero too, so no worries there.

JC5188
02-06-16, 06:29
bigwagon,

Should be BURST not AUTO, would be nice to know why FN did that since these rifle are supposed to be as close to the real thing as possible. As far as to what I paid, $800 for the Colt and a little over $1500 for the FN. It's a long story so I'll give you the short one. I got tired of waiting for the Colt so I got the FN, last week I finally got the Colt so the FN will go on GB soon....

Nah...keep em both

Eurodriver
02-06-16, 08:26
The simple answer is that the civilian arm of FN is incompetent.

bigwagon
02-06-16, 10:18
Yeah I had only seen it on the 6900 rifle, which hand an integral trigger guard. So it wasn't the same lower. But it did have the mark.

Rumor has it those lowers may have been made by Anderson for Colt. Makes you wonder if they are doing other lower work for Colt now.

JC5188
02-06-16, 10:39
Rumor has it those lowers may have been made by Anderson for Colt. Makes you wonder if they are doing other lower work for Colt now.

I doubt it. The expanse rifle that took its place has an M4 marked lower...same as the 6920. After thinking about it, everything on the 6900 was different, so I doubt it was ever touched by anybody at Colt. I don't know that for sure, however.

Mrgunsngear
02-06-16, 14:05
FWIW Impact Guns had 4x of these today but they sold out before I could post. They were $959 for those wondering

casador
02-06-16, 14:52
FWIW Impact Guns had 4x of these today but they sold out before I could post. They were $959 for those wondering
Iv'e been on waiting list with Impact Guns and several other places and have not been notified by any of them. I see there are several on GB but they are all over MSRP. Anyway I finally got mine and at a great price. Now a BCM MK12 is in the cross hairs, my wife is going to kill me....

Flankenstein
02-07-16, 09:35

Nonsense.

Makes you wonder just how many dingbats have access to a laptop or a smart phone...

3ACR_Scout
02-07-16, 09:55
Every M16 I've ever been issued had a plastic door, including the M16A4 that I carried in Iraq in 2005.

Should be BURST not AUTO, would be nice to know why FN did that since these rifle are supposed to be as close to the real thing as possible.
It should also say SEMI, not FIRE. I.e. SAFE SEMI BURST.

Dave

JC5188
02-07-16, 15:01
Nonsense.

Makes you wonder just how many dingbats have access to a laptop or a smart phone...

Nonsense on the 6900 lower? So are you saying that colt made that lower?

TacticalMark
02-07-16, 15:53

I don't think you've seen a lot of lowers then.

TacticalMark
02-07-16, 15:56

Bold Ideas Texas was probably who machined the keyhole forging for Colt.

Mrgunsngear
02-08-16, 13:19
Iv'e been on waiting list with Impact Guns and several other places and have not been notified by any of them. I see there are several on GB but they are all over MSRP. Anyway I finally got mine and at a great price. Now a BCM MK12 is in the cross hairs, my wife is going to kill me....

Ditto, tan :D

Flankenstein
02-08-16, 18:19

Ha... No that's my bad for skimming this thread and not understanding the context of your post.

JC5188
02-08-16, 19:14
Ha... No that's my bad for skimming this thread and not understanding the context of your post.

Haha, Yeah...I figured. :)

armtx77
02-08-16, 19:45

One of these?

I picked it up last summer, August I think for $859.00from Buds. I have not got around to doing much to it aside from the sling, new grip and the Pro, ZEROED with Federal FUSION MSR.

Eurodriver
02-09-16, 10:08
Thank you to whoever corrected "Abailable"

azeriosu85
03-10-16, 23:08
man i want one of these SOOOO bad, no one in stock though :(

hellishot
03-17-16, 12:50
Heres one I bought a while back.
http://i.imgur.com/m5SJHQc.jpg (http://imgur.com/m5SJHQc)

C4IGrant
03-17-16, 14:00

You have to measure JUST the barrel (not the complete rifle).

C4

C4IGrant
03-17-16, 14:01

They are not.

C4