PDA

View Full Version : Help me allocate my budget to finish my MK12 build.

Bluefin12
02-01-16, 22:44
Hey! How is it going everyone? I am looking for some ideas on how to spend the rest of my budget for my MK12 build. This rifle is going to be used at the range but I do not want a primadonna. If I drop it and scratch something (other than the glass) I will not be mad unless it does not work. I already built the lower and have a BCM upper. I have about $1,500 left to finish it up. I can probably stretch to $2,000 but would like to stay around $1,500 or even less if possible. I cannot have a silencer because I live in New York. The end of the barrel will most likely be naked.

I still need the following (pretty much the real important stuff):
-barrel - I am considering the BCM 18" for about $370. Or the WOA 18" for about $300.
-BCG
-free floating hand guard
**Question - is it best if I get the same brand BCG and hand guard as my barrel?**

-gas system - Rifle length
-stock - Will have to be fixed
-buffer assembly - minimal thought needed
-scope/mount - I definitely want the larue mount. I would like a leupold and I am willing to look at used scopes as long as they are mint to save some money. The mount is about $200 (I think).
-New two stage trigger? I am going to have to add a new trigger to this build eventually but it is not imperative nor included in this budget.

I figured this could be a fun thread for us. Or not.

Thanks to everyone who takes the time to respond in advance.

KingCobra
02-01-16, 22:57
I don't think your budget will swing a full build.

your still looking at
$800 for the glass.
$130 for bcg
$300 minimum for barrel (I believe you should get a douglas..)
rail is $350 minimum.

that right there is over your $1500 budget.

Bluefin12
02-01-16, 22:59
OK pull the glass out. Lets get a functioning rifle first. Same Budget. I would rather not do it and wait another month to buy quality glass than cheap out.

KingCobra
02-01-16, 23:04
how clone specific are you trying to be. you can get a woa barrel, a DD rail, and a psa bolt and be cheaper then building it 100%.

i'm mid building a mk12 to 100%. here is where i am at.

$80 colt upper
$140 colt bcg
$400 douglas barrel
$350 kac rail
$free KAC irons
$140 brake and collar
$30 kac bipod mount
$free harris bipod

it all really depends how accurate of a "mk12" you want, or if you just want an "spr" you are going to call a mk12..

Bluefin12
02-01-16, 23:10
Good point. I am building a SPR just for the fact I cannot put a silencer on it. I want a quality barrel (the two I mentioned and the douglas are all quality options for the money). The BCG and Rail are the next most important parts to me. I already have a harris bipod and mount for it.

KingCobra
02-01-16, 23:13
if it's just an SPR, easy.

mk12, not so much.

for an spr, just pick whatever free float rail you like. pick up any quality BCG. I suggest a BCM or SOLGW (lmt) BCG. compass lake sell a high quality gas block for $30, and run whatever brake you like.

Bluefin12
02-01-16, 23:13
Let me clarify....the lower and upper are already paid for and are not apart of the 1500 left I have to spend.
400 barell
200 BCG
350 hand guard
= $950 and that leaves me 650 more for gas system, stock and buffer assembly? I think that is plenty. Don't you?

KingCobra
02-01-16, 23:16
ahh, thats true. for some reason I was still thinking about adding in the scope.

Bluefin12
02-01-16, 23:24
disregard

Bluefin12
02-01-16, 23:30
disregard

Bluefin12
02-02-16, 00:38
disregard.

Bluefin12
02-02-16, 00:40
Then I will just have to wait another month or so and put another $1500 into the glass and mount. I may not be doing the exact clone but I want high quality all around. This is my last 223/556 build for a while. I have to buy a new shotgun and a new bolt action .308 after this. And I also need a new .45acp. It NEVER ends!!! All while buying ammo for everything and continuing to keep putting lowers and together. Like I said, I live in NY and I never know when some jerk is going to pass some new wacky legislation. Like the recent safe act that somehow makes my ar15 less dangerous because I put a spur grip on it. Go figure.

OK cool. How do you feel about the barrel and bcg being the same brand? I have heard that's a good rule to follow. If that's the case, I would most likely go with the BCM BCG you mentioned and the BCM barrel just because I already have the BCM upper installed.

KingCobra
02-02-16, 08:23
Then I will just have to wait another month or so and put another $1500 into the glass and mount. I may not be doing the exact clone but I want high quality all around. This is my last 223/556 build for a while. I have to buy a new shotgun and a new bolt action .308 after this. And I also need a new .45acp. It NEVER ends!!! All while buying ammo for everything and continuing to keep putting lowers and together. Like I said, I live in NY and I never know when some jerk is going to pass some new wacky legislation. Like the recent safe act that somehow makes my ar15 less dangerous because I put a spur grip on it. Go figure.

OK cool. How do you feel about the barrel and bcg being the same brand? I have heard that's a good rule to follow. If that's the case, I would most likely go with the BCM BCG you mentioned and the BCM barrel just because I already have the BCM upper installed.

I love my bcm rifles, so i do not think you can go wrong there! I just used a colt bolt and made sure it headspaced in my douglas barrel.

SavageBrew84
02-02-16, 09:42
All these parts are at BCM, the RE/Stock isn't available at the moment but they aren't hard to find. Shipping from BCM on a purchase like that is $14.
BCG: $169
Barrel: $309
GB+Tube: $58
Geissele Rail: $275 (I think most any quality rail is going to be this much or less, especially BCM's new KMR-A)
Rifle RE w/ Stock: $100
Geissele SSA/SD-C: +/- $200
Total:$1125

You should be able to pick up a Vortex 2.5-10x32 or similar with a good mount (Bobro) for around 1k

teutonicpolymer
02-02-16, 10:00
-I'd get the WOA barrel
-Bcg just get a regular c158 bolt and 8620 carrier
-The new Seekins handguard looks good and I'd get that in mlok
-stock is up to you, I like the look of the A2 but the A1 has better length of pull, and the magpul moe beats these but looks worse, and the vltor rifle stock probably beats them all but looks ugly
-I'd get a cost efficient mount. The alg or geissele ones look good but I don't know the cost
-if I wanted a 2 stage trigger then I think I'd be getting a geissele of some type

For scope I'd get a SWFA 3-9x because they are a very good value, especially on sale

556BlackRifle
02-02-16, 10:53
You should probably repost in the general forum and you'll get more responses.

The custom build area is a place to show off/discuss and ask questions and get feedback about your completed custom build (this means a completed AR that is functional and already completed). If you are going to post pictures of your build, please post a complete picture not just your parts, partial lowers, etc....

Also, buying an upper separate and then a lower and throwing them together does not constitute a custom build. It would be nice if you took time to explain how you came to your decision and explain your set up. Thanks.

If you do not follow the guidelines and your post disappears it's probably because it was moved to the trash or deleted.

stahljaeger
02-02-16, 11:17
I would recommend the ALG EMR rails. ALG is Bill Geissle's wife's company. You can get in, my opinion, a top quality rail for a very good price. A 15" EMR v1 (tube Mlok handguard) will be $145 and the v2 primary v3 (partial or full length top picatinny rail) will be $165. You can also get them in shorter lengths for less.

http://algdefense.com/rails.html

They end up very stiff due to the excellent mounting system and long barrel nut, while still being light weight. After getting one I felt the expensive rails I had been using up to that point were a ripoff.

They are all the only rail I use now.

Bluefin12
02-16-16, 21:29
I saw the white oak spr complete upper for $650???? It had the 18" match barrel, upper, bcg (all 3 of these are fit professionally at the factory and not by me) and a handguard that needs to be replaced. I attached a link below. For $650, I cannot really see how I can go wrong. What do you all think?

http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/xcart/product.php?productid=17987&cat=261&page=1

Mauser KAR98K
02-17-16, 13:23
I saw the white oak spr complete upper for $650???? It had the 18" match barrel, upper, bcg (all 3 of these are fit professionally at the factory and not by me) and a handguard that needs to be replaced. I attached a link below. For $650, I cannot really see how I can go wrong. What do you all think?

http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/xcart/product.php?productid=17987&cat=261&page=1

You want a hand guard system almost right at 12" for proper bi-pod use, or enough hand guard to have it on a bag without the barrel touching. You would probably be better off just getting the pieces and building it from there. You will also become more intimate with your weapon. ;)

I built my MK12 Mod 0 clone-ish as a clone with practical parts in for better cheek weld, and glass and mount. If you are going just for an SPR route, you can save on rails and muzzle devices, and spend the left over on a real high quality barrel and glass. If you are going a pure MK12 Mod 0, Mod 1, or Mod Holland, you are going to be stuck with fixed price points on everything, unless you can find parts used. You have not factored in the Ops Inc. Muzzle Brake which is $199 with collar.

The reason why I went with my Mk12-ish was because I began the build during the ban (bought the barrel two days before Sandy hook happened) and all the pieces I wanted and needed for an inexpensive SPR project dried up...except for Precision Reflex Inc. I was also playing AMRA2 that had the MK12s in them at the time, so inspiration and parts availability chose my route. It's my "below" sub-moa rifle when I do my part. And heavy.

Here it is before I put a Magpul rifle stock on it that didn't grab my beard hairs, and has a nice cheek weld.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5461/9013285690_17f495f3b9_b.jpg