PDA

View Full Version : True Cost of Ownership

Lee Indy
02-02-16, 06:42
Im trying to pick between one of these 3 cans and am having some difficulty figuring out how much its going to cost me to own them. I'm getting confused with mounts mostly.

Im looking at
Silencer Co Hybrid
Griffin Optimus

I have a 5.56, 308, 7mm mag and a 9mm I want to run with this can.

The HYBRID comes with a .308(5/8x24) Direct thread and a Piston mount.
So I would need.

ASR QD module ---$220
plus an ASR Flash hider for my 5.56---$76 and one for each additional gun I add
and a 1/2x28 piston ---$55

cost for my needs----$351

Griffin Optimus comes with full booster assembly,1/2x28 piston, and 5/8x24 30 caliber Minimalist Brake Mount.
So I would need.
another minimalist brake in 1/2x28---$75 and one for each additional gun I add

total cost to start $75

Am I missing anything here?

Also interested in the gemtech one but its hard to find straight info on its mount options. I know it wont run 9mm but I can for go that for a decent price.

Auto-X Fil
02-02-16, 06:48
Why so many mounts for the Hybrid? You should need:

Piston mount for the 9mm
ASR brakes for each rifle
ASR mount

Do you want to DT the Hybrid to some of the bolt guns?

TheChunkNorris
02-02-16, 06:53

Piston mount for the 9mm
ASR mount

Or a 45-70!

Lee Indy
02-02-16, 06:54

Piston mount for the 9mm
ASR mount

you missed the "OR" in there. It was an option to direct thread to my 5.56 for 99 or go the 220 route to get the quick detach setup.

edited my post to loose the confusion

Auto-X Fil
02-02-16, 07:01
Gotcha. The ASR setup is REALLY nice. DT should really be more of a semi-permanent system for a rifle. I would totally pony up for the ASR mount and then buy brakes/hiders for each gun.

So, yes, the SilencerCo setup is going to cost you a good bit more to get rolling with. I would go Griffin if you don't ever plan on suppressing .45 or .458 SOCOM or .338 mags. Those calibers are the reason to go Hybrid.

TheChunkNorris
02-02-16, 07:11
Gotcha. The ASR setup is REALLY nice. DT should really be more of a semi-permanent system for a rifle. I would totally pony up for the ASR mount and then buy brakes/hiders for each gun.

So, yes, the SilencerCo setup is going to cost you a good bit more to get rolling with. I would go Griffin if you don't ever plan on suppressing .45 or .458 SOCOM or .338 mags. Those calibers are the reason to go Hybrid.

Unless he already has an Octane or Osprey... the use the same piston for pistol conversions. **NVM he doesn't have other suppressors**

I'm on the same boat but going with the Hybrid because I have other cans that use the same piston.

Lee Indy
02-02-16, 07:17
Unless he already has an Octane or Osprey... the use the same piston for pistol conversions.

first can.

wonder how the hybrid would handle 22lr

stahljaeger
02-02-16, 09:18
You can use any taper mount muzzle device with the Optimus, not just the minimalist brakes. There are different brakes and flash hiders available, and Ihave heard good things about their flash comp. I think Buford T. Justice recommended them if you don't/can't run an EFAB. I definitely could be remembering wrong, and the search function is useless, so I can't find it.

I don't have any experience with any of their mounts yet, but I am going to buy an Optimus myself as soon as I can sell another couple hundred worth of gun stuff.

Lee Indy
02-02-16, 09:34
more math i do the griffin keeps looking better and better.

Noodles
02-02-16, 18:09
Just fwiw.... I think the Hybrid is probably the last can you'd ever WANT to use on a pistol. It's heavier, likely louder than other options, and it's 1.50" in diameter so it will block sights even some suppressor sights.

I get that everyone is on the "DO IT ALL!!!!" craze, but take a step back. IMO the Hybrid is the best option for big bore versatility. There might be a better option for a big bore dedicated, I don't know. But buying one and trying to cross rifle and pistol? Nah.

You realize that if you shoot 20 rounds of rifle or so, that you're done with that can for 1/2 hour or so right? You're not going to be handling it to swap the end cap, swap the mount, install the piston, then shoot on the handgun.

Best case... Your current route, you're going to get really tired of swapping end caps and mounts.

I don't want to crap on your dreams, but the longer you're into cans... The more you'll realize how nice it is to have dedicated cans.

Lee Indy
02-03-16, 05:50
The more you'll realize how nice it is to have dedicated cans.

The more I look at it the more I tend to agree. Looks like Ill put an omega on order as soon as my taxes come back.

TheChunkNorris
02-03-16, 07:16
Just fwiw.... I think the Hybrid is probably the last can you'd ever WANT to use on a pistol. It's heavier, likely louder than other options, and it's 1.50" in diameter so it will block sights even some suppressor sights.

I get that everyone is on the "DO IT ALL!!!!" craze, but take a step back. IMO the Hybrid is the best option for big bore versatility. There might be a better option for a big bore dedicated, I don't know. But buying one and trying to cross rifle and pistol? Nah.

You realize that if you shoot 20 rounds of rifle or so, that you're done with that can for 1/2 hour or so right? You're not going to be handling it to swap the end cap, swap the mount, install the piston, then shoot on the handgun.

Best case... Your current route, you're going to get really tired of swapping end caps and mounts.

I don't want to crap on your dreams, but the longer you're into cans... The more you'll realize how nice it is to have dedicated cans.

Agreed 1000%. Started with a AAC SDN-6 and a Octane 45. They worked fine but saw the difference when shooting without ear pro and especially shooting with other guys with dedicated cans. Then ended up with 5 more.

Noodles
02-03-16, 09:16
The more I look at it the more I tend to agree. Looks like Ill put an omega on order as soon as my taxes come back.

I think that's a solid move.

jstalford
02-03-16, 09:41
I have 3 cans. Two of them I regret b/c I wish I just got dedicated 556 and 9mm cans vs. 762 and 45.

Regret is maybe a strong term, but yeah, I would do it differently if I could start over.

ScubaD
02-06-16, 00:05
So, if I wanted to shoot 9, 45, 5.56 and 300BLK then us getting a Optimus and then a dedicated 45 can the way to go?

Debating between a Revolution 45, Octane or the Ti-rant.

Denns

K1tt3n5
02-06-16, 02:18
Get dedicated cans. If not, get the sico hybrid.

Noodles
02-06-16, 10:30
So, if I wanted to shoot 9, 45, 5.56 and 300BLK then us getting a Optimus and then a dedicated 45 can the way to go?

Debating between a Revolution 45, Octane or the Ti-rant.

Denns

Since people ARE going buy combo cans... At least an Omega with an Obsidian seems like a logical combo. You can add a subgun can, a dedicated 556, a precision 762, 22lr of course, etc without really overwriting anything.

It's a combo, but it's sensible. I can't really find a sensible combo with the Hybrid unless you're shooting big bore maybe.

K1tt3n5
02-06-16, 10:35
Since people ARE going buy combo cans... At least an Omega with an Obsidian seems like a logical combo. You can add a subgun can, a dedicated 556, a precision 762, 22lr of course, etc without really overwriting anything.

It's a combo, but it's sensible. I can't really find a sensible combo with the Hybrid unless you're shooting big bore maybe.
The omega is the exception to the rule. Badass, durable, light and relatively short with flat caps.

Lee Indy
02-10-16, 14:05
Omega paid for today. Now the wait

Noodles
02-10-16, 17:58
Omega paid for today. Now the wait

Smart move. I'll admit the Optimus does seem ok, and I don't even like Griffin. But the theory vs reality of the do-it-all-cans is too far apart.

I think you're going to be plenty happy with the Omega! If I was starting over today, I'd buy one without a second thought.