PDA

View Full Version : PTR-91 DMR project

ClassIIIGunsmith
02-02-16, 09:07
So the other day a friend of mine comes over to my house, tells me that he is moving to New York because of work and he needs to sell some of his "NY post ban" rifles and wanted to know if I was interested in buying some. I say yes, go to his car and he starts pulling out his guns and I spot this pretty and paid $300 for it. Unfired because he bought it the day after the Great Gun Ban Scare of '13. Want to know what optic mounts and optics will make this a possible 1000 yard rifle?

Vegasshooter
02-02-16, 11:03
The HK91 that I had was/is a Battle Rifle, not a Precision Rifle. As such, it was a 2-2.5 Moa gun. That's not bad for its intended role. I've shot Federal GMM ammo and gotten down to 1.5 Moa. Even the famous PSG was about a 1MOA on its best day. That was unheard of when the rifle came out. Semi-auto rifles didn't deliver that kind of accuracy then. Today, it's much easier to find a gas gun that will shoot sub Moa. My point is, your rifle should be a great shooter, and fun to own. I believe pressing it into a precision rifle role would be disappointing.

HackerF15E
02-02-16, 11:43
Total steal at $300!

TheChunkNorris
02-02-16, 11:51
Def not going to be making precision shoots with that at 1000yrds... it's a battle rifle and not a precision rifle. You can convert parts over to make it comparable to a MSG or PSG but there's a lot more than just a barrel, trigger pack and stock. The receiver has lateral pieces that add strength and you several other things to consider. It's a nice rifle to shoot, kills brass unless you use a heavy buffer and you could possibly get a revised trigger pack to smoothen things out.

ClassIIIGunsmith
02-02-16, 12:44
Not looking for it to be a comp gun because I have one already. Just want it to hit my steel plate (16"x23.2")I have on my property and beside in my opinion if the CMP does 1000 with the M1 using irons why not try a scope on a German rifle. Also all of the scopes I own cost more that what I paid for this gun. Does anyone know of good scope mounts and scopes that can take the impact from this kind of rifle? I have never owned a .308 version of the roller delay blowback action (got the MP5 so my knowledge of this is vague).My aging eyes don't do me much good anymore when using irons these days.

Fatorangecat
02-02-16, 21:43
Brugger & Thomet make the best mount in my opinion. I had a good clone on a JLD receiver that shot exceptionally well. The biggest challenge was the trigger.

TheChunkNorris
02-03-16, 14:13
Not looking for it to be a comp gun because I have one already. Just want it to hit my steel plate (16"x23.2")I have on my property and beside in my opinion if the CMP does 1000 with the M1 using irons why not try a scope on a German rifle. Also all of the scopes I own cost more that what I paid for this gun. Does anyone know of good scope mounts and scopes that can take the impact from this kind of rifle? I have never owned a .308 version of the roller delay blowback action (got the MP5 so my knowledge of this is vague).My aging eyes don't do me much good anymore when using irons these days.

Well it depends on what you want really. These came with a Hensoldt Z24 4X28mm optic and a HK claw mount. Initially the claw mount was high enough that you could peek under and still use your iron sights. If you decide on the B&T, they come in a couple options, hight mount and low mount. Both are 1913 and attach to the receiver using the claw mount reinforcement tabs just forward of the rear sight. You're also limited on long and how wide the optic can be, you don't want it interfering with the charging handle. Lastly I'd highly recommend a heavy buffer, it just makes everything so much smoother and won't kill brass.

Valkyrie19
02-27-16, 19:20
I've been using my EBO made Springfield SAR-3/8 as a DMR with good results.

I would recommend that you upgrade with a heavy buffer, that you can buy from HK parts, and a company called MFI makes a nice low mount for a scope.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Scimitar2
02-28-16, 22:32
For the trigger, the WST is a better-then-stock option-

http://www.williamstriggers.com/page8.html

Trying to mod a HK-91 to be an effective 1000y gun is an expensive and time consuming rabbit hole that has crushed the soul of many that came before you. Think hard if this is truly the direction you want to go with things.

ClassIIIGunsmith
02-29-16, 07:42
For the trigger, the WST is a better-then-stock option-

http://www.williamstriggers.com/page8.html

Trying to mod a HK-91 to be an effective 1000y gun is an expensive and time consuming rabbit hole that has crushed the soul of many that came before you. Think hard if this is truly the direction you want to go with things.

I only spent $300 on this gun. So I have cash to blow on it. But my goal is more like having the ability to get a ding when I shoot at 1000 yards not looking for it to hit every time because of my aging body and eyes. I think what I'm saying is that I want it to have enough accuracy to at least get it to splash within 12" (roughly 1MOA at a thousand) of my steel plate. Kinda like that thought I don't need to build a PSG1 I just want it to be as accurate as my M1A national match (or better). is the original claw mount still a good mount or are the new low profile ones better?

Valkyrie19
02-29-16, 09:21
The HK g3 pattern rifles are really fun to shoot, and are very accurate right out of the box.

I qualified on the g3 when I served in the US Army in Germany, and when I left the service I bought one of the Greek made rifles from Springfield Armory.

I use a HK claw mount with a Zeiss scope and can get 3 inch groupings at 300 yards.

I'm a farm girl, and was on the ROTC rifle team in college and have been shooting since my teens.

Valkyrie19
02-29-16, 09:24
BTW - Bill Springfield of triggerwork.net does a great job in tuning the trigger for the HK.

SPQR476
02-29-16, 11:09
That looks like a GI, so you may or may not have a barrel that is capable of what you want. I have a PTR DMR that is based on one of the F-Models with the shallow flute TC barrels. It's a sub-MOA rifle (just barely), but won't work with anything tar sealed...which includes a lot of NATO and US Mil ammo, but it's fine with commercial and handloads. My GI is more of a 1.5MOA to 2MOA rifle.

I've had great results with the MFI rail. I bed them to the receiver for an even more solid mount. A welded rail is better, however.

I do my own triggers, but springfield and Williams are the options for getting it done. Don't try to get fancy...much below 5-6lbs and you may see doubling, which is no bueno.

You're also dealing with a 12 twist, so 168s may be as heavy as it likes. 155 Scenars are always an option. Some of mine will shoot 175 well, but my F doesn't like them much.

FeistyCrawfish
02-29-16, 20:50
I would recommend building an Ak4B clone. I am a sucker for Swedish rifles though :)

What you need:

- Ak4B weld-on rail: http://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/SWEDISH-AK4-WELD-ON-PICATINNY-RAIL-FOR-G3-p3642.htm

- PTR Slim Handguard (if not using a bipod)

- PTR Tac Handguard + Rails (if using a bipod): http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/Tactical-Forearm-PTRK-HK33-93-G3K-ON-SALE-112p367.htm

- Modified Sight Hood (can be done by most gunsmiths, like Parabellum Combat Systems)

- Any other accessories/parts you want

http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq153/magwa1/2012-05-19125621.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y182/ghilliebear/DSC05189_zpsbd4b8a76.jpg~original

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/Tim_Orrock/SDF/ak4-l.jpg~original

https://cdn2.cdnme.se/cdn/7-2/1057045/images/2010/dsc00661_112758336.jpg

ClassIIIGunsmith
03-01-16, 16:39
That looks like a GI, so you may or may not have a barrel that is capable of what you want. I have a PTR DMR that is based on one of the F-Models with the shallow flute TC barrels. It's a sub-MOA rifle (just barely), but won't work with anything tar sealed...which includes a lot of NATO and US Mil ammo, but it's fine with commercial and handloads. My GI is more of a 1.5MOA to 2MOA rifle.

I've had great results with the MFI rail. I bed them to the receiver for an even more solid mount. A welded rail is better, however.

I do my own triggers, but springfield and Williams are the options for getting it done. Don't try to get fancy...much below 5-6lbs and you may see doubling, which is no bueno.

You're also dealing with a 12 twist, so 168s may be as heavy as it likes. 155 Scenars are always an option. Some of mine will shoot 175 well, but my F doesn't like them much.

I just want it to hit at 1000 not looking for a super gun so the barrel thing isn't a big deal. I'm a gun smith so I think I'm good doing my own trigger job, cause I have done some for for a few of my customers and was able to get a 6.75lb trigger using a full powered spring. I can get a 4.5lb trigger running a MP5 spring (I will also be removing the first stage part of the pull so a 2 stage instead of a 3 stage one) but that is if I want to only shoot soft primers. My handloads are primo but I don't want to trash my good Hornady brass or LC Match brass. I know a heavy buffer is on the list as well as a trigger job, paddle mag release, 5 round mag for deer sniping season, good HK 30mm claw mount, my 30mm Leopold Scope, I think a wide forearm will be better for my sandbag so I will go Bipodless. Is there anything I missed?

henschman
03-02-16, 00:15
I was going to say, good ammo and a scope should be all you need to play at 1K.

Let us know how she does if you get a chance to get her out that far.

ClassIIIGunsmith
04-12-16, 12:31
Update:
Got the wide forearm
Trigger pull is at 5.9lb
Got a heavy buffer
Trying to find a good low price claw mount, must be a HK made.

Went to shoot it at 350 at my steel had some damn nice groups using just the irons. 17 out of 20 on my 8" Gong.
I think I'm on the right path for this gun.

Valkyrie19
04-12-16, 12:45
Update:
Got the wide forearm
Trigger pull is at 5.9lb
Got a heavy buffer

Went to shoot it at 350 at my steel had some damn nice groups using just the irons. 17 out of 20 on my 8" Gong.
You'll be amazed what you can do with match ammo.

daniel87
04-12-16, 15:19
Update:
Got the wide forearm
Trigger pull is at 5.9lb
Got a heavy buffer

Look into the mfi scope mount from hk parts

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Fatorangecat
04-12-16, 15:29
The B&T mounts are better