PDA

View Full Version : DD 16" mid length barrels - Are they over gassed?

Beat Trash
02-02-16, 09:48
I have read several sources over the last few hear that the SBR barrels from Daniel Defense are over gassed.

But I would like to talk about their 16" barrels.

Has anyone measured the gas ports on the DD 16" mid-length barrels? Are the 16" barrels overpassed as well?

Mrgunsngear
02-02-16, 09:56
I have read several sources over the last few hear that the SBR barrels from Daniel Defense are over gassed.

But I would like to talk about their 16" barrels.

Has anyone measured the gas ports on the DD 16" mid-length barrels? Are the 16" barrels over-gassed as well?

Mine aren't.

TMS951
02-02-16, 10:31
I could see how the mid length gas could make it feel better.

But I don't see why DD would over gas all their other barrels but not the mid lengths.

The issue you will run into with mid length is the lack of a standard. So who's to say .0xx is to big or small by comparison to Cranes numbers.

I'd like to see someone with a mid length DD try an H2 buffer and Tula or some other underpowered ammo. If it locks back on an empty mag its over gassed.

In my ideal world of gas ports a gun would short stroke with an H2, not lock back with an H1 and just barely run right on a carbine buffer with .55gr. steel case ammo.

SomeOtherGuy
02-02-16, 14:05
I've owned three DD 16" midlength uppers, and a close friend has another, and none of them seem overgassed in use. They run reliably with a carbine or H buffer and typical US-made commercial (.223) ammo. They run fine with near-mil-spec ammo (like PMC X-tac) and the two that were used with Russian ammo (Silver Bear and Wolf) ran fine with that ammo. None of them have had the function problems you find with overgassing, which I have experienced with other brands of carbine-length-gas 16" barrels.

In my ideal world of gas ports a gun would short stroke with an H2, not lock back with an H1 and just barely run right on a carbine buffer with .55gr. steel case ammo.

Sounds like an 18" barrel with rifle gas setup for 3-gun. If that's what you want, OK, but that doesn't mean it's ideal for all uses.

BC98
02-02-16, 15:25
I had one 16" midlength DD barrel that did exhibit signs of overgassing. The recoil seemed excessive when compared to both a BCM and Centurion midlength barrel (even with a muzzle brake) and empty cases ejected between 1:00 and 2:00. I measured the gas port diameter at .082" using pin gages. In comparison, the other two barrels I mentioned were both .076".

I installed a port reducer kit from Black River Tactical and was able to run the .070" insert and it totally changed the gun. Recoil was light and empties ejected between 3:00 and 4:00. It ran everything from XM193 to AE223. It would not cycle weak steel-case (tried Tula & Wolf).

Clint
02-02-16, 19:12
I had one 16" midlength DD barrel that did exhibit signs of overgassing. The recoil seemed excessive when compared to both a BCM and Centurion midlength barrel (even with a muzzle brake) and empty cases ejected between 1:00 and 2:00. I measured the gas port diameter at .082" using pin gages. In comparison, the other two barrels I mentioned were both .076".

I installed a port reducer kit from Black River Tactical and was able to run the .070" insert and it totally changed the gun. Recoil was light and empties ejected between 3:00 and 4:00. It ran everything from XM193 to AE223. It would not cycle weak steel-case (tried Tula & Wolf).

This is great feedback and a typical result.

That .082" port gives 15% more gas drive than the quasi defacto stadard .076" port, which is already plenty of gas to run nearly any ammo and any buffer.

Although there is no official spec for a 16" midlength, there is a real good chance Crane would select .076" or a slightly smaller.

16" midlengths typically aren't slowed down by heavier buffers as much as some other configurations, so an overgassed barrel won't show much apparent improvement by using only a heavy buffer.

We recommend a .073" Custom Tune Gas Port as the smallest size that will typically work with most ammo from M193 to Wolf.

TheNegativeOne
02-03-16, 05:41
The filthy 14 was a midlength, I believe. Id trust bravo company.

REdruM0351
02-03-16, 20:21
I haven't had any overgassing issues but the issue is worrisome.

OIPactual
02-03-16, 20:37
I have multiple DD middy guns, none have any over gas issues. The only time I experienced an issue with gas was in my factory M4A1 rifle, and a sprinco spring and h3 solved it. In my experience DD barrels are top notch, and are now my go to for any future build.

I have a friend who has a DD middy rifle as well, I can ask for his input, but to my knowledge it's the same as mine.

Daniel Defense makes some of the finest rifles available! You will not be disappointed!

odugrad
02-18-16, 15:11
I have multiple DD middy guns, none have any over gas issues. The only time I experienced an issue with gas was in my factory M4A1 rifle, and a sprinco spring and h3 solved it. In my experience DD barrels are top notch, and are now my go to for any future build.

I have a friend who has a DD middy rifle as well, I can ask for his input, but to my knowledge it's the same as mine.

Daniel Defense makes some of the finest rifles available! You will not be disappointed!

I'm curious what your issues were with the M4A1. Are DD M4A1s known to be overgassed, too?

odugrad
02-18-16, 15:15
***************Nevermind. I found the thread*****************

OIPactual
02-18-16, 18:50
I'm curious what your issues were with the M4A1. Are DD M4A1s known to be overgassed, too?
I was having forward ejection with both .223 and 5.56 ammo. The problem was resolved by installing a sprinco red spring and h3 buffer. There is a thread about it on here but I can't post a link from my phone.

samuse
02-18-16, 20:40
I had an M4A1 upper and it was a gasser for sure.

Noodles
02-18-16, 22:44
I posted in like 2012 that DD barrels were overgassed. I remember many people not believing me. That was a 12.5" but like seen already in this thread, if we all (now) know that some DD barrels are overgassed, why wouldn't you assume all are?

OP short answer is yes.

Long answer is 95% of people would never notice. Even most suppressed users wouldn't notice. Doesn't make it right, just how it is. If you own a DD barrel, turn back away from this thread, for most, ignorance is bliss.

odugrad
02-19-16, 09:12
Yeah, I remember reading about someone shooting a V11 and thinking it was overgassed. Not sure about that. But I'm a fan of DD. That won't change. They're certainly one of the best manufacturers.

erratic
02-19-16, 09:54
I have a V7 w/ H2, regular power buffer spring. Normally running Wolf Gold and works great, but will usually not cycle steel case at all, much less lock back. I'll bring some random low-power brass .223 next time and see what happens.

Cane55
02-19-16, 11:49
I have multiple DD middy guns, none have any over gas issues. The only time I experienced an issue with gas was in my factory M4A1 rifle, and a sprinco spring and h3 solved it.

This. A heavier buffer and/or buffer spring will offset over gassing. I'd personally rather have an over gassed gun than an under gassed one. You could also get an adjustable gas block if you want to chose that route.

californiasushi
02-20-16, 04:07
I know ejection patterns aren't everything but our 16" DD midlength lightweight factory upper ejects to ~4:30 with our 75gr handloads and a H buffer. With a suppressor it ejects to about 2 o'clock. Here's a video shooting some rounds unsuppressed and suppressed with a TBAC Ultra 7" and you can see the ejection pattern:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6dFbBCPN4U

FWIW it shoots great and we've gotten decent hit ratios at 907 yards on torso-sized steel with it and 75gr Hornady BTHP handloads.

a9862
07-10-20, 01:44
I posted in like 2012 that DD barrels were overgassed. I remember many people not believing me. That was a 12.5" but like seen already in this thread, if we all (now) know that some DD barrels are overgassed, why wouldn't you assume all are?

OP short answer is yes.

Long answer is 95% of people would never notice. Even most suppressed users wouldn't notice. Doesn't make it right, just how it is. If you own a DD barrel, turn back away from this thread, for most, ignorance is bliss.

They might be overgassed before but not anymore, but since 2016 the 16" midlength gas port is 0.072" which is actually a bit on the smaller side.

titsonritz
07-10-20, 02:42
They might be overgassed before but not anymore, but since 2016 the 16" midlength gas port is 0.072" which is actually a bit on the smaller side.

LOL. You necro-post an over 4 years old thread for that? LOL