PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg 4X4?

sonrider657
08-14-08, 18:43
Is the Mossberg 4X4 a decent rifle?

Damascus
08-16-08, 00:53
For a budget hunting rifle that you're going to take deer hunting and not worry about getting it scratched up - it's fine.
For a target rifle, or long range hunting rifle - it isn't going to cut it.
For the price range, I'd save up just a bit more and get a Remington M700 SPS or Savage M110... both will probably perform around 1 MOA right out of the box, where the Mossberg will be lucky to nail 2 MOA.. I do not own one, but I've sold several, and am going on what customer's have told me.. (Up until 3 weeks ago, I worked P/T at a local gun shop).
What exactly are you wanting to do with said rifle?

sonrider657
08-17-08, 19:53
Thanks for the input. I am looking mainly for deer hunting. I am considering a Mossberg 4x4 in either .30-06 or .300 Win Mag with a Leupold VX-II 3-9 X 40 mm scope.

What do you think?

Damascus
08-17-08, 21:08
I wouldn't hesitate to buy one for short to maybe medium range deer hunting. I personally like the .300 Win Mag for every kind of hunting in North America, if you can stand the recoil. I've always felt that anything I could do with a .30-06, I could also do with a .308, in a shorter, more rigid, short action rifle. Since you are putting nice glass on the rifle, I would certainly get a more accurate rifle, Remington or Savage, and possibly a Ruger M77. I always try to make a rule: always spend as much on the scope as you did on the rifle... when the rifle itself is only like $300, that negates the whole purpose! LOL. I'm telling you, look into the Remington M700 SPS rifles, you won't regret it.
Good luck with whatever you choose!

Damascus
08-18-08, 17:36
After I posted that, I looked into a Mossberg catalog that I had picked up at a local gun shop the other day, to see if they offered any heavy barreled models, which they don't... BUT, they have a new "tactical, blacked out" rifle, which has a little bit of a better barrel, they call it the "Night Train" or something, if I were going to get a Mossberg for deer hunting, that would be it. You may not like it though, as it is chambered in .308 Win (IMO, the best deer round). It also comes pre-mounted with a 4-14x50 (or 4-16x44, can't remember which) scope, bore sighted, and a bipod of some sort. I still say get a Remington 700 SPS :)