PDA

View Full Version : Wounded Warrior investigation via CBS

WillBrink
02-03-16, 13:34
There's been rumors of WW being less than efficient with the donation money they receive, and their numbers seem to support that. CBS has done an investigation and interviewed a bunch of employees etc and the picture is not pretty. I did a charity event for them myself, but after learning they are anti gun and less than efficient with getting the donated $ to vets, I wouldn't do it again. I do know some vets who have been directly benefited by WW, so it's not to say they don't help some, only that they seem to have an ongoing problem with spending and I'd prefer to support an org that's far more effecient with the $ donated. You be the judge:

Wounded Warrior Project accused of wasting donation money

A CBS News investigation into a charity for wounded veterans, the Wounded Warrior Project, looks into how the charity spends its donation money.

What caught our attention is how the Wounded Warrior Project spends donations compared to other long-respected charities.

For example, Disabled American Veterans Charitable Service Trust spends 96 percent of its budget on vets. Fisher House devotes 91 percent. But according to public records reported by "Charity Navigator," the Wounded Warrior Project spends 60 percent on vets.

Where is the money is going?

In its commercials, Wounded Warrior Project appeals to the American public's generosity, and it works. In 2014 alone the group received more than $300 million in donations.

"Their mission is to honor and empower wounded warriors, but what the public doesn't see is how they spend their money," said Army Staff Sergeant Erick Millette.

Millette came home from Iraq in 2006 with a bronze star and a purple heart -- along with a traumatic brain injury and PTSD.

Initially, he admired the charity's work, and participated in its programs. He took a job as a public speaker with Wounded Warrior Project in 2013. But after two years, he quit.

"You're using our injuries, our darkest days, our hardships, to make money. So you can have these big parties," he told CBS News.

Millette said he witnessed lavish spending on staff.

"Let's get a Mexican mariachi band in there, let's get maracas made with [the] WWP logo, put them on every staff member's desk. Let's get it catered and have a big old party," he described.

"Going to a nice fancy restaurant is not team building. Staying at a lavish hotel at the beach here in Jacksonville, and requiring staff that lives in the area to stay at the hotel is not team building," Millette continued.

CBS News spoke to more than 40 former employees who described a charity where spending was out of control.

Cont:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/wounded-warrior-project-accused-of-wasting-donation-money/

Averageman
02-03-16, 13:49
This has been brought up here before.
Sorry; I cannot support them, I do support Fisher House though.

WillBrink
02-03-16, 14:11
This has been brought up here before.
Sorry; I cannot support them, I do support Fisher House though.

It has, but this is the first real investigation I have seen that seems to put it all together as to their internal problems as CBS has.

Averageman
02-03-16, 14:18
It has, but this is the first real investigation I have seen that seems to put it all together as to their internal problems as CBS has.

If they are found to have been burning through this money partying, I hope these F'ers meet a semi load of karma some night on the way home.

Averageman
02-03-16, 15:17
http://www.csindy.com/coloradosprings/wounded-warrior-project-comes-under-scrutiny-for-spending-on-staff/Content?oid=3597877
As news broke last week about Wounded Warrior Project's lavish spending, local organizations that help soldiers and veterans moved to distance themselves from the mega-sized nonprofit.

Media reports pointed out that WWP, which raked in $312 million in the fiscal year ending in September 2014, shelled out $7.4 million on staff travel that year and has spent freely on "team building" meetings for employees, including one held at the five-star Broadmoor resort in Colorado Springs.

Meantime, local agencies that work with military members and veterans reported few, if any, dealings with Wounded Warriors Project, other than referrals for services.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/28/us/wounded-warrior-project-spends-lavishly-on-itself-ex-employees-say.html?_r=0
They began raising millions of dollars and broadening their services to include adaptive sports for disabled veterans, employment and benefits help, and retreats to teach veterans to cope with post-traumatic stress disorder.

By 2009, the group had grown to about 50 employees and $21 million in revenue. But by then, Mr. Melia and Mr. Nardizzi were fighting over the charity’s future, with Mr. Nardizzi pushing for more aggressive expansion than Mr. Melia, former employees said.

In January 2009, Mr. Melia resigned.

Mr. Nardizzi said in an interview that Mr. Melia left to pursue business ventures. But Mr. Melia’s ex-wife, Julie Melia, who worked at the charity at the time, said in an interview that her former husband felt like the organization was “stolen from him.”

Yeah, it don't look good.

T2C
02-03-16, 17:33
This is a sad turn of events. I know several Veterans who frequently donate money to the Wounded Warrior Project and it is unbelievable so much money is being wasted.

26 Inf
02-03-16, 17:45
What does Nardizzi get paid? $473,015 0.19% (less than 1%) of administrative expenses. That salary is low for the size of the charity, but we don't know what perks the CEO gets in his package.

Money breakdown: 59.9% services
Fundraising: 34%
Administrative: 6.1%

Charity Navigator rates them 3 of 4.

Honu
02-03-16, 18:31
i am all for free biz but at the same time when charities get tax free status and folks make half million dollar salaries I think they should not be non charity anymore !!!!

something bad about that ? or at least all charities must post very prominently all salaries paid on there website etc...

have heard more than a few dont ever donate to them !!

WillBrink
03-10-16, 18:30
going to bump this thread with this news vs start a new one on the topic:

Wounded Warrior Project CEO, COO fired over spending irregularities

The CEO and COO of the Wounded Warrior Project have been fired amid spending irregularities with the Project’s money.

Steven Nardizzi and Al Giordano, the CEO and COO, respectively, were terminated Thursday.

Cont:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/mar/10/wounded-warrior-project-ceo-coo-fired-over-spendin/

SteyrAUG
03-10-16, 19:18
Most charities spend more than half of the money paying themselves to help others. 60% is actually pretty good compared to the really big charities.

platoonDaddy
03-10-16, 19:31
This is long overdue. Years ago Imus commented about 100% of his charitable fundraisers goes to the charity, not like many others and including Wounded Warriors.

mack7.62
03-10-16, 19:51
They got too big, 6% of 300,000,000 is 18 million for admin, add in another 34% for fundraising and that is 120 million per year operating costs. There are also reports of them being anti gun and anti christian.

themonk
03-10-16, 19:55
Yep, they are worse than the Red Cross. That with the 2nd Amendment issues I ditched them years ago. So many better charities.

austinN4
03-11-16, 07:16
Most charities spend more than half of the money paying themselves to help others. 60% is actually pretty good compared to the really big charities.

In stark contrast, Fisher House spends 91% of all expenses on the programs and services it delivers:
http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=7585#.VuLE0r3-uXQ

Glad to see WWP is finally getting the attention it deserves.

3 AE
03-11-16, 11:51
26 Inf referenced "Charity Navigator". I found that to be a very helpful website to help you determine if a certain charity is worth entrusting with your donation.

http://www.charitynavigator.org