PDA

View Full Version : Smallest plate carrier for average height and skinny (like, REALLY skinny)

bluebird
02-04-16, 19:53
Hi all,

I've read through a lot of posts for the last couple years on plate carriers but I figured now that it's tax return season I'll bite the bullet and get one for some "serious" use.

Although there has been plenty of posts about plate carriers for the smaller guys I have not found anyone close enough to my build (I'm like - average height but skinny - and I mean REALLY skinny - see pic below).

1. I'm looking for a modular plate carrier for Level III plate - most likely steel like AR500 variety or something like the DKX offerings - probably not looking for ceramic since I don't want it to ever crack without me knowing.
2. I'm a civvie.
3. The primary usage of this item is for BLM/classes.
4. I'd also like to use it for grab and go emergencies.
5. I need it to fit/carry AR mags, IFAK, the "usual" civvie stuff - enough gear for a 3/5-day class.
6. I need it for an AR.
7. I have no preference in the material of the plate carrier.
8. My budget for this item is around 500 before plates (or should I get better plates and cheaper carrier?).
9. I'm looking for it in these colors grey preferred but happy with multicam/tan/khaki.
10. I don't think I care if it looks 'tactical'.
11. I don't mind it to be low profile/concealed etc.
12. I have already looked at the recommended options like PIG, Mayflower (Eagle SPC in small seems to be unobtainium, same for LBT) and am not convinced they'll fit me.
13. If it's a sizing/fit question, provide your height, weight, build, waist size, inseam length. 5'9, 130 lb, 27 inch waist, 38 inch chest, slanted shoulders, see pic
14. If it's a comfort question, state the conditions you want to use the garment under - dry/humid/wet, hot/cold. Most likely for warmer weather use but "all season" would be nice (My limbs are always cold even in summer - and it takes a while before I warm up - but once I'm warmed up I can sweat A LOT)

Am I left with Crye JPC in small and First Spear Strandhogg in small? Attached is a pic of me with an airsoft replica of JPC in medium that my friend gave me (as you can see the fitment is horrible). Thank you so much for your help!

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn200/edwin2005hk/pic.jpeg (http://s304.photobucket.com/user/edwin2005hk/media/pic.jpeg.html)

Lee Indy
02-04-16, 21:44
Crye jpc. Lancer if you wanna test it first

bluebird
02-04-16, 22:02
Crye jpc. Lancer if you wanna test it first

I highly doubt the Lancer will fit since it's a one-size-fit-all. I've never had anything that fits me well if it's one-size even though if it's meant to be "tight-fitting".

militarymoron
02-04-16, 22:48
i'd go with the crye JPC as well, since the girth can be adjusted so that it's quite small. overlap the cummerbund straps in the rear. the only thing i'd worry about the small size is that a small plate might be too short for you.
steel plates also may not fit in the JPC very well as it's sized for thicker plates. the picture of you in the JPC copy just looks like it's worn/adjusted incorrectly. are there any plates in it? a plate carrier without plates is usually going to look ill-adjusted and floppy.

lawusmc0844
02-04-16, 23:08
Look around ebay if you're looking for small Eagle SPCs, I've seen some pop up before. I've known a number of Marines as skinny but even shorter than you that can wear the small SPCs without issue.

bluebird
02-04-16, 23:34
i'd go with the crye JPC as well, since the girth can be adjusted so that it's quite small. overlap the cummerbund straps in the rear. the only thing i'd worry about the small size is that a small plate might be too short for you.
steel plates also may not fit in the JPC very well as it's sized for thicker plates. the picture of you in the JPC copy just looks like it's worn/adjusted incorrectly. are there any plates in it? a plate carrier without plates is usually going to look ill-adjusted and floppy.

I think a small plate would be okay as my nipple to nipple distance is 8 inches and sternum to belly button is about 11-12 inches. 8x10 might be a tiny bit too short but I think 10x12 is definitely too wide for me for maneuverability (please correct me if the way I'm sizing it is wrong).

I'll keep in mind about the plate thickness.

It was not adjusted properly as it was only a quick test fit - no plates just airsoft soft foam padding. However if you look at the overall width of the top of the JPC replica you can see it will end up almost to the sides of my deltoids so it's a bit too big regardless.

Do you have any experience with the Strandhogg/other first spear carriers? I thought I read a review from you but I can't find it on Google. I'm quite sold on their tube system an 6/12 as well.

Many thanks!

Look around ebay if you're looking for small Eagle SPCs, I've seen some pop up before. I've known a number of Marines as skinny but even shorter than you that can wear the small SPCs without issue.

It appears that eBay is out as usual right now - I'll probably lean towards JPC but I'll keep an eye on the SPCs!

Defaultmp3
02-05-16, 00:22
I'm 5'8", ~140 lbs., 29" waist. I use a wolf grey Blue Force Gear PLATEminus in small with the Tyr Tactical Level IV ESAPI sized plates in size small. It's worked reasonably well for me, as I can still shoulder my carbine without much change from running slick. However, I only run 3 AR magazines up front; everything else, such as IFAK, pistol mags, rifle speed reload, dump pouch, etc., all go on the war belt.

I've been told the First Spear tube system can be kinda hit or miss, depending on sizing relative to each person, as the tubes might interfere with stock placement.

Note that the DKX Max III (like any pure UHMWPE plate) does not provide protection against M855, while most steel plates will not provide protection against M193. Level III armor means that it is rated for 6 hits from 7.62×51mm M80, which does not necessarily translate into proper protection against 5.56x45mm.

bluebird
02-05-16, 01:02
I'm 5'8", ~140 lbs., 29" waist. I use a wolf grey Blue Force Gear PLATEminus in small with the Tyr Tactical Level IV ESAPI sized plates in size small. It's worked reasonably well for me, as I can still shoulder my carbine without much change from running slick. However, I only run 3 AR magazines up front; everything else, such as IFAK, pistol mags, rifle speed reload, dump pouch, etc., all go on the war belt.

I've been told the First Spear tube system can be kinda hit or miss, depending on sizing relative to each person, as the tubes might interfere with stock placement.

Note that the DKX Max III (like any pure UHMWPE plate) does not provide protection against M855, while most steel plates will not provide protection against M193. Level III armor means that it is rated for 6 hits from 7.62×51mm M80, which does not necessarily translate into proper protection against 5.56x45mm.

Thanks for the comments! I have a few questions for you:

Do you run your war belt with suspenders?

Any idea why the tubes might interfere with stock placement since it should be closer to the lower part of the upper body instead of near the shoulder pocket? Do you happen to have a pic that can show me that?

Thanks for reminding me about the NIJ ratings! Do you know if ceramic plates cracking is a huge issue? I've read enough comments (might be FUD) that if you drop the plates it'll crack (which I assumed it would too if you trip and fall with the plates).

Thank you!

turnburglar
02-05-16, 01:46
If you don't need a cummerbund, most carriers are almost infinitely adjustable. I know for a fact a banshee without a cummerbund could fit you. Also consider going down to a 8x10 plate. It just needs to protect the thoracic cavity. Especially since the likely hood of you getting shot is near zero, don't get too wrapped round the axle on this.

turnburglar
02-05-16, 01:51
Thanks for reminding me about the NIJ ratings! Do you know if ceramic plates cracking is a huge issue? I've read enough comments (might be FUD) that if you drop the plates it'll crack (which I assumed it would too if you trip and fall with the plates).

Thank you!

Most of the .mil community wears ceramic plates (ESAPI). As long as you don't intentionally drop them on concrete (people do) you'll be fine. Now that I am out, I rock steel plates even though I still have a ceramic. I like the thin form factor and believe steel won't need to be replaced in 10-15 years like ceramic should be.

Auto-X Fil
02-05-16, 05:40
Watch videos on ceramic plates getting hit with sledgehammers and shot. They are tough. Think about a plate made of reinforced concrete, not coffee mugs.

superr.stu
02-05-16, 07:00
I'm 6'3" 165 lbs. Base your carrier size on what size plate you need for proper coverage on your chest. There is always a way to find a cbund solution to suck the thing in more if you need 2. For PC's I have a early TT Fightlight size L, with large gamma's in it. I needed the sides to be a little tighter, made do with the stock solution for a while, and contacted the TT custom shot to make me some shorter sides. Cost like a whopping $13. For my Velocity LWPC with Large special threat plates, I redirected how the cumberbund attached in the back and was able to shrink it for a better fit.

can add more later when I'm not headed out the door for work.

Defaultmp3
02-05-16, 10:28
Do you run your war belt with suspenders?Yes, I use a set of Emdom-MM Battle Suspenders with my TYR Tactical XFrame Brokos belt with Assaulter's Base Belt-Tail. The primary purpose is not load bearing, but merely to keep the war belt from rotating during movement; some people actually like the ability to rotate the war belt on the body on demand, so that just depends on your individual use. It fits under my PLATEminus, and I have not noticed any hot spots or anything.

Any idea why the tubes might interfere with stock placement since it should be closer to the lower part of the upper body instead of near the shoulder pocket? Do you happen to have a pic that can show me that?No pic; this was something my friend ran into, though, with his First Spear Strandhögg; he's slightly taller and heavier than me, with a somewhat fuller build, and I believe he ran a medium with that set up.

Thanks for reminding me about the NIJ ratings! Do you know if ceramic plates cracking is a huge issue? I've read enough comments (might be FUD) that if you drop the plates it'll crack (which I assumed it would too if you trip and fall with the plates).As noted by Auto-X Fil, ceramic plates are quite tough. Obviously, they're not going to be as durable as a steel or pure UHMWPE plate, but they're still pretty damn rugged; being that you're a civilian, I think ceramics are more than durable enough for your use, as you won't be donning it day in and day out and throwing it around. Simply dropping a ceramic plate on the concrete at a normal standing height won't be anywhere near enough abuse to damage it, unless you manage it drop it just right on the edge, which should be quite difficult if they're sitting inside a carrier.

bluebird
02-05-16, 12:10
Thank you for all the replies!

It seems that I should be on the right track that either JPC or Strandhogg would most likely be my best bet.

I'm most likely going for some SAPI cut plates in the 5lb range (8x10) since the above plate carriers are designed for that cut anyway. Is triple curve the only way to go? I read that anything less is uncomfortable.

I forgot to ask - is either plate carrier G2G in terms of adding a HSP D3CR on it? I believe only a pair of vertical swift clips and 2 pairs of horizontal swift clips are needed correct?

Thanks for answering all the noob armor questions I have!

DevL
02-05-16, 14:00
Why so concerned about cracks in a ceramic plate? Worried it will only stop 6 rounds of 556 instead of 7? The JPC 1.0 is not comfortable without padded multicurve plates... AKA Lightweight Ceramic Hybrid standalone with built in padding. Small JPC will work if you don't put silly limitations on your plate selection.

Alex V
02-05-16, 15:26
I am 5'-10" and 145lbs with a 30" waist. I am currently using a Crye JPC in Medium.

After reading panzerr's thread about "Proper Wear of Armor" I measured myself and came up with a medium size plate. This meant I needed a medium size carrier in accordance with Crye specifications. I probably could run a small with a bit more comfort but the medium size plate does not hinder the movement of my arms at all.

I was able to adjust the shoulder straps to ensure the plates sat high enough.

Jellybean
02-05-16, 22:46
Thank you for all the replies!

It seems that I should be on the right track that either JPC or Strandhogg would most likely be my best bet.

I'm most likely going for some SAPI cut plates in the 5lb range (8x10) since the above plate carriers are designed for that cut anyway. Is triple curve the only way to go? I read that anything less is uncomfortable.

I forgot to ask - is either plate carrier G2G in terms of adding a HSP D3CR on it? I believe only a pair of vertical swift clips and 2 pairs of horizontal swift clips are needed correct?

Thanks for answering all the noob armor questions I have!

I would probably try the JPC first, if you're really this worried about carrier fit. If the MED. JPC doesn't fit, for darn sure the Small will, as it is quite tiny. I've seen small children squeeze into one of those (half the reason why it's much loved in the airsoft community. :laugh: )

Per the Strandhogg- on issue you *may* run into, if you're short on torso width to accommodate a longer cummberbund, is the side tube connection points- bear in mind that's about +1 molle column per each side. I'm not saying it will cause an issue, but that couple extra inches extra length may lead to a fit that is a bit loose. YMMV

Per the D3 on either- should be GTG. Haven't seen much of D3's attached to Strandhoggs, but I'm sure you could rig something up.
Picture is Derek33's JPC from the Gear Loadout thread:

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/13/91c52a5254a32e186ae8c197566dc16e.jpg

You may need these SWIFT clip buckles:
http://stores.octactical.com/down-range-gear-qasm-vertical-connector/
Unless you get the JPC 2.0, in which case it also has some webbing tabs you can run a split buckle through if you prefer that way.

Per triple curve plates, YES these are the only way to go if you can help it. The fit, and therefore comfort is FAR superior to single-curve plates. I've had the opportunity to try both- I wore the single curve plates for about 5 minutes before swapping back to the triple curve plates and posting the others for sale....
Some people can make the single curve stuff work, I guess I'm just not one of them.
I would also go out on a limb and say that triple curve is going to be even more critical to your plate fit and comfort as you're part of the skinny club, and every bit counts when you don't have a lot of extra padding to help a lesser-fitting plate be comfortable.

If you don't already have plates picked out, you should stop by Appalachian Training. If they don't have something that will work, give the owner a holler, and he can point you in the right direction for something decent.
http://store.appalachiantraining.com/

I am 5'-10" and 145lbs with a 30" waist. I am currently using a Crye JPC in Medium.

After reading panzerr's thread about "Proper Wear of Armor" I measured myself and came up with a medium size plate. This meant I needed a medium size carrier in accordance with Crye specifications. I probably could run a small with a bit more comfort but the medium size plate does not hinder the movement of my arms at all.

I was able to adjust the shoulder straps to ensure the plates sat high enough.

I am the same size as you- I have also been the OP's size (129.9lb) because of health issues.
I'll second your findings with the plates.
Actually, I could downsize to a small, if I wanted to sacrifice some coverage for less weight and better movement, but I'm paranoid and can't bring myself to do it.
I currently use an AVS with Med. plate bags, Med. 'bund and a Small harness. Works great.

I can fit pretty much every MEd. PC in common circulation, with the caveat of plates that fit the carrier's cut correctly- my downfall (aside from plate fitment because I have oddly cut plates) has mainly been getting the shoulder straps adjusted short enough- the notable exception to Medium plate carriers fitting me was the Crye EK01, which seems to have extremely long shoulder straps. A Small may work.

bluebird
02-11-16, 16:19
Thanks for all your help! I checked with First Spear and their small cummerbund adjusts down to 26 inch so in terms of sizing I think I should be G2G.

However...

I ended up ordering a JPC (small) because it's almost half of what the Strandhogg costs shipped (couldn't justify $35 shipped for a 2 lb plate carrier when Crye's can be shipped for less than half their shipping cost). I figured it won't be my last carrier so perhaps I'll bite the bullet on the Strandhogg when the time comes and more funds available.

Also I'm pretty set on waiting for the Level 3+ small SAPI plates offered by Armor wear to become available. Not the top of the line plates but it'll perform well enough for my needs imo.

Overall I think this will be a good starter package for me to understand what it takes to wear body armor and gives me more insight on what I will actually need down the line

Now the 12-16 week wait for the JPC begins...

Thank you so much again y'all for helping me out on this! One day when I'm rich enough after I get my PhD perhaps I'll be experienced enough by that time to contribute back to the forums!

Caduceus
03-11-16, 04:33
If you don't need a cummerbund, most carriers are almost infinitely adjustable. I know for a fact a banshee without a cummerbund could fit you. Also consider going down to a 8x10 plate. It just needs to protect the thoracic cavity. Especially since the likely hood of you getting shot is near zero, don't get too wrapped round the axle on this.

You might just want to try US Palm, PIG Brig, or some of the others that are literally 2 nylon plate sleeves and a velcro strap. Look for ones without side armor capability.

bluebird
03-24-16, 17:06
First of all I'd like to thank everyone who has contributed thus far. I'd like to update everyone on my decision and initial assessment:

Quick conclusion:

I ended up getting the JPC in small. I most likely wouldn't bother with anything that is not designed for ONLY small plates from now on. I hope real skinny people (under 6', 130lbs) can refer to this post for plate carrier sizing ideas.

Long story:

I waited for the JPC to show up after I ordered it over 3 weeks ago. Initial assessment shows that it seems to fit very well to my body. In comparison to the picture in my first post (in first page) you can see that it covers my vital organs and allows maximum mobility. I have ordered a pair of small Level 3+ ceramic/polyethylene plates and they should show up in early May.

This is how I look with the JPC on. As you can see it fits much better than my medium airsoft carrier:
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn200/edwin2005hk/IMG_1167.jpg (http://s304.photobucket.com/user/edwin2005hk/media/IMG_1167.jpg.html)

Here's a picture of me in a 45 degree pose for sh!ts and giggles (and for reference as well. Just a reminder I have a 38 inch chest and a 27 inch waist).
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn200/edwin2005hk/36b25c76-821c-4d39-bf11-353fa00ffc4a.jpg (http://s304.photobucket.com/user/edwin2005hk/media/36b25c76-821c-4d39-bf11-353fa00ffc4a.jpg.html)

And finally a side-by-side comparison of the small Crye JPC (left) and medium airsoft JPC (right).
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn200/edwin2005hk/9C0054F1-55E4-43A6-989F-1BD0D4AFD2C0.jpg (http://s304.photobucket.com/user/edwin2005hk/media/9C0054F1-55E4-43A6-989F-1BD0D4AFD2C0.jpg.html)

Jellybean
03-25-16, 22:38
Yeah, that's way better.
You may also want to cinch the shoulder straps up a little bit to get the plates adjusted up a bit higher.

Side question- what pants are those- VertX?

bluebird
03-25-16, 23:02
Yeah, that's way better.
You may also want to cinch the shoulder straps up a little bit to get the plates adjusted up a bit higher.

Side question- what pants are those- VertX?

No plates on the PC yet, but thank you will do when the plates arrive.

Pants are Vertx Original. 28x32.

Jellybean
03-26-16, 15:40
No plates on the PC yet, but thank you will do when the plates arrive.

Pants are Vertx Original. 28x32.

Thanks- I've been looking for some low profile cargo pants. Read some reviews of these a while back, seemed GTG, and given your picture there I think they may be just the thing. :)

bluebird
03-26-16, 21:16
Thanks- I've been looking for some low profile cargo pants. Read some reviews of these a while back, seemed GTG, and given your picture there I think they may be just the thing. :)

They are very low profile (low profile cargo pockets) and they have a loose thigh fit.

I have done yoga, taekwondo and rock climbed with them and they're perfect since they're not a tight thigh fit.

One word of warning - They are quite thick so if you don't have cold limbs like I do then you may find them too hot to wear in the summer (although I have no problems with them in the summer if I'm not running).

Jellybean
03-28-16, 16:58
They are very low profile (low profile cargo pockets) and they have a loose thigh fit.

I have done yoga, taekwondo and rock climbed with them and they're perfect since they're not a tight thigh fit.

One word of warning - They are quite thick so if you don't have cold limbs like I do then you may find them too hot to wear in the summer (although I have no problems with them in the summer if I'm not running).

Perfect- I have had a hard time finding cargo pants (especially the new crap for guys that apparently have no nuts) wide enough to fit my bodacious thighs... :laugh:
Been stuck with BDU's and some rapidly deteriorating pants I've had for almost 10 years. All the new cargo pants are either super-overt for EDC, or pathetic (see previous sentence).

I'm not to worried about heat- since these are theoretically for EDC/CCW "going to town" use, I'll likely be in and out of A/C stores or car all day. So *hopefully* they won't be to bad.

Travelingchild
03-28-16, 18:16
Try rogue elite, I picked up some Eotac cargo and discreet pants for $15 per pair plus shipping 28 x32 they have a lot in the midget size I bought 20 pairs use them for work pants

dentron
03-29-16, 21:18
I'm in the same boat looking for a small plate carrier. I was looking at the pig Brigadier from skd tac, can any skinny guys comment on the fit of it?

bluebird
03-29-16, 23:09
I'm in the same boat looking for a small plate carrier. I was looking at the pig Brigadier from skd tac, can any skinny guys comment on the fit of it?

I bet you're G2G with any plate carriers designed ONLY for small plates. I'm most likely skinnier than 90% of the "skinny guys" on the internet.

dentron
03-29-16, 23:24
I bet you're G2G with any plate carriers designed ONLY for small plates. I'm most likely skinnier than 90% of the "skinny guys" on the internet.
Thanks