PDA

View Full Version : Which Lav class would you take?

ubet
02-05-16, 00:24
So this summer their are two classes that Larry vickers is teaching close enough for me to go to. Probably can only get the time for one. One class is a 1911 pistol class, the other a carbine class. I'm interested in both but have to choose one. I've never taken a formal class unless you count the ccw classes to get my permit. Which one would you guys suggest I take? I'm leaning towards the 1911 class because I di carry a pistol on a regular basis. But pistol classes are a little more prevalent around here than carbine classes

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Tzook
02-05-16, 01:54
I'd definitely go with the carbine. I assume that Larry's 1911 class is excellent and would have many things in it that would apply to all varieties of pistol shooting, but I wouldn't pass up a chance to learn carbine from Mr Vickers himself

dbain99
02-05-16, 06:51
Very tough.
I'd take carbine as well, only because I've taken several handgun classes.
In your situation IF your are quite familiar with your 1911, I believe a handgun class is more of a necessity than a carbine class. I have not read a course description, but I imagine its not exactly introductory level.

Sent via telegraph with the same fingers I use to sip whiskey.

opngrnd
02-05-16, 15:53
1911 class. You're more likely to need your CCW than any other platform unless you wear a uniform for a living. And if you carry a 1911, the class on it will be invaluable. It's not that I don't recommend a Carbine class, but there are many good carbine class opportunities, but very few 1911 classes like the Vickers one. I assume you're talking about the two day operator class, and not the "build your own 1911 from scratch" class

ubet
02-05-16, 15:58
Yes the two day operator class

ubet
02-05-16, 16:41
I was thinking the same thing about the 1911 class, but being as I have not taken classes like this before I don't know what will do me the most real world good. I try to be smart enough to realize what I don't know.

Ranger325
02-11-16, 12:45
Not sure if you have made you decision, but here is my 2 cents. I’ve taken Vickers’ pistol and carbine classes over the years. What do you want – to enhance you skills with your 1911 or your carbine? You will shoot more in the carbine class that in the 1911 Operator, which is essentially I day on the range and one day in the classroom tearing it apart, learning what to look for in the components and finally function checks back on the range. Both are excellent with plenty of take-away’s for your notebook! Good luck and enjoy..................

ubet
02-11-16, 12:50
Not sure if you have made you decision, but here is my 2 cents. I’ve taken Vickers’ pistol and carbine classes over the years. What do you want – to enhance you skills with your 1911 or your carbine? You will shoot more in the carbine class that in the 1911 Operator, which is essentially I day on the range and one day in the classroom tearing it apart, learning what to look for in the components and finally function checks back on the range. Both are excellent with plenty of take-away’s for your notebook! Good luck and enjoy..................

Thank you for your input! The 1911 says 800 rds, the carbine says 800 rds carbine, 150 pistol. I think I'm leaning more towards the 1911because I want to learn more about it internally too, what to look for in parts and maybe some minor repairs. Is that covered?

Ranger325
02-11-16, 13:35
......I want to learn more about it internally too, what to look for in parts and maybe some minor repairs. Is that covered?

Absolutely. We did a detailed disassembly and LAV shows you what to look for in each component and will make corrections on the spot if possible. Lots of good info from the guy who knows.

PS And, not surprisingly there is no shortage of opinion on manufacturers, parts, kit, etc. A great experience!

sadmin
02-11-16, 14:08
Is Vickers the only option in your area this year?

ubet
02-12-16, 07:12
Ranger, thank you for all that info! I think I'm going to do the 1911 class based on everything you've said.

Sadmin, it's the only listed one I can find. I know their are a few more classes but no dates are posted and I don't know anything about the instructors.

ubet
02-17-16, 22:19
Well I just pulled the trigger on the 1911 class I'm pretty stoked, and nervous.

opngrnd
02-17-16, 22:49
Awesome! I'm really hoping to slide into one in the near future.

agr1279
02-18-16, 07:21
Well I just pulled the trigger on the 1911 class I'm pretty stoked, and nervous.

Don't be nervous. Go there with what is recommended and an open mind. Don't be afraid to ask questions but remember to actually listen to what is said. That being said I've gone to several Colt Armorer courses for the 1911 and still learned from LAV.

Dan

ubet
02-18-16, 07:40
I just don't want to be "that guy" the one that either brings way to much or not enough. My go to is a trp operator, my backup is a ria, I was going to bring the spare pistol bit which parts should I bring? First thought is recoil spring, past that though I don't know

ubet
02-19-16, 10:14
Reloads? Should I use reloaded rounds, or buy new/reman? I drop test all my rounds in my trp operator to make sure they will load.

tostado22
02-19-16, 14:27
Often times you aren't allowed to shoot reloads due to insurance/liability reasons. Just check the packing list and bring what's on it

ubet
02-20-16, 07:07
They didn't say anything about reloads or not

agr1279
02-20-16, 19:45
Reloads? Should I use reloaded rounds, or buy new/reman? I drop test all my rounds in my trp operator to make sure they will load.

Don't be that guy. You are already paying for a LAV class so buy new or quality reloads like BH. Remember others also paid for the class and nothing pisses me off like someone trying to go cheap and screwing me in the process.

Dan

opngrnd
02-20-16, 21:30
Probably 90% of what I shoot is reloaded, but for classes I splurge and shoot factory. The reasoning is pretty simple, in that I'm eliminating another variable that could detract from getting all I can from the class. I learned this the hard way. I have had bad pistol reloads on exactly one day, and it was in a class. Just as bad, I've shot next to a guy in class that had quite a few malfunctions with his reloaded ammo.

Using quality factory ammo will also give you a baseline to work off of from the class.

strambo
03-21-16, 18:57
Just shoot factory at class...and you'll probably be able to collect your brass at least if not more than what you brung. If not, oh well.

one
04-23-16, 02:56
i've got four or five of Larry's classes under my belt. Unfortunately the one I have missed so far is the 1911. On the ammo definitely take factory. Some other things I would say make sure you have an appropriate number of good quality magazines. A good holster, as far as I know Serpa is still not allowed. Take rain gear.

Every class I have taken I have had a backup gun in the bag. So I think your RIA in there is appropriate. People always say take note taking material but I never do. That said I would absolutely take notes in this one. While it's not the builders class it's still going to be a gold mine of technical info. Especially on keeping some things tweaked and running like, for example, the extractor.

I've recently started hosting classes and I would dearly love to bring the 1911 class to my area.

ubet
06-06-16, 22:13
Just finished with the 1911 course today. Was a lot to download, and probably missed more than I caught but enjoyed it, a lot. Ran almost 550 rds, and against all recommendations I ran my personal reloads through the whole thing without problem. Yesterday I wasn't to sure about the cost vs reward, but after the detailed disassembly I realized how important and glad I was to take the class. Then when we went and shot today, I realized how much I actually learned shooting Yesterday. It wasn't apparent to me what I'd actually learned and how helpful yesterday actually was. Just took some time to sink in.

ST911
06-06-16, 22:29
Just finished with the 1911 course today. Was a lot to download, and probably missed more than I caught but enjoyed it, a lot. Ran almost 550 rds, and against all recommendations I ran my personal reloads through the whole thing without problem. Yesterday I wasn't to sure about the cost vs reward, but after the detailed disassembly I realized how important and glad I was to take the class. Then when we went and shot today, I realized how much I actually learned shooting Yesterday. It wasn't apparent to me what I'd actually learned and how helpful yesterday actually was. Just took some time to sink in.

When you have time, post an AAR in the training sub-forum. Many members have asked about the 1911-specific class.

I took the class prior to yours. My AAR here: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?184816-AAR-Larry-Vickers-Alias-2-Day-Handgun-Custer-SD-June-3-4-2016

chuckman
06-21-16, 10:49
I have run 1911s exclusively in his pistol classes. His 1911 class is THE 1911 class to have. Like taking a driving class from a NASCAR racer.

ubet
06-21-16, 15:58
It was tough, because of all the malfunctions. He said it was the class with the most malfunctions he'd ever taught.

WonderRogue
07-26-16, 16:59
Don't be that guy. You are already paying for a LAV class so buy new or quality reloads like BH. Remember others also paid for the class and nothing pisses me off like someone trying to go cheap and screwing me in the process.

Dan

It's a class entirely of 1911s. There's going to be malfunctions and the line will be slowed down.

It was tough, because of all the malfunctions. He said it was the class with the most malfunctions he'd ever taught.

Beat me to it!

ubet
07-26-16, 22:41
It's a class entirely of 1911s. There's going to be malfunctions and the line will be slowed down.

Beat me to it!
It really impressed on me three things, sub $1k 1911s make great paper weights, better to wet than not wet enough, and quality ammo makes all the difference.

I ran all reloads there. Granted each one was drop tested before I went. If it didn't pass the plunk test it didn't go. It was factory ammo they were having problems with, due to lack of crimp and the case catching on the way into the chamber coming off the feed ramp.