PDA

View Full Version : Straight 8s available for the M&P

NCPatrolAR
08-15-08, 00:17
Looks like Heinie finally got his M&P sights finished. They are listed on his site and apparently are shipping.

Steve
08-15-08, 08:47
WOW its about time........ only took 3 years

IM all over them

maximus83
08-17-08, 11:48
This page lists 3 different models for the sights sets: a night set, a "qwik" night set (wider rear notch for "quicker" acquisition, I guess), and an all-black set.

Heinie M&P sight sets (http://www.heinie.com/cart/)

I'll have to look at these and check them out, but if they're just white dots with green tritium lamps, then I think the contrasting look of the Warren sights may still be my preferred approach.

Spooky130
08-24-08, 10:00
Warren has their sights out as well - they are also between $15 and $30 cheaper too (at least from SKD Tac).

Spooky

Hootiewho
08-24-08, 14:57
I got my 2 dot tritiums in from Warren tactical last week, so they should be out soon.

ToddG
08-24-08, 17:16
Not to hijack the thread, but I know that has all three Warren night sight variants (1-dot front only, 2-dot, and 3-dot) available. They're not up on the website, but the dealer has them in stock ready to ship.

Littlelebowski
08-24-08, 17:30
I put Straight 8s on my G34 and they rusted up real quick like. My Novaks are much more durable. I won't buy sights that rust up in a week again.

JohnN
08-24-08, 19:53
Todd, do you know if Scott offers different height front sights?

M16A1
08-24-08, 20:11
Its discouraging (for me) that stories about rust on Heinie sights keep popping up. I wonder if this is occurring with their phosphate, or Black T finished sights, or both.

graffex
08-24-08, 20:40
Its discouraging (for me) that stories about rust on Heinie sights keep popping up. I wonder if this is occurring with their phosphate, or Black T finished sights, or both.

I've have the Black T version on my Glock 17 for almost a year now. No problems with rust at all. I love these sights.

ToddG
08-24-08, 21:35
Todd, do you know if Scott offers different height front sights?

Not to the best of my knowledge. His front sight is a little narrower than a stock night sight, but I'm not sure of the height.

NCPatrolAR
08-25-08, 08:40
I put Straight 8s on my G34 and they rusted up real quick like. My Novaks are much more durable. I won't buy sights that rust up in a week again.

I have a set of Warren sights on my G26 that are rusted. They are still good sights so a potential rust issue isn't of much concern to me

nickdrak
08-25-08, 14:43
I have a set of Warren sights on my G26 that are rusted. They are still good sights so a potential rust issue isn't of much concern to me

I agree, furthermore a little maintenence goes a long way to preventing surface rust on metal parts. Oil+cloth+30 seconds=Non-issue

Littlelebowski
08-25-08, 14:45
It's an issue of annoyance to me. However, there's other sights that don't rust in my gun safe so I voted with my dollar.

ToddG
08-25-08, 17:11
Corrosion on sights will happen from time to time no matter who is making the sights. I don't know any night sight company that does its own refinishing, which means you're relying on a third party. Once in a while, a batch isn't done well. There's little the sight company can do about it, especially since small imperfections can be impossible to detect.

DM-SC
08-25-08, 19:58
I agree, furthermore a little maintenence goes a long way to preventing surface rust on metal parts. Oil+cloth+30 seconds=Non-issue

I agree on the maintenance going a long way. I have two Glocks with the original Heinie rear sights (pre-slant pro). The only rust on either has been where the sight MGW sight pusher rubbed the finish off the right side on the first one I installed.

I wipe my guns off at the very least every couple of months...usually using a silicone cloth.

kgreen
08-26-08, 11:03
I agree on the maintenance going a long way. I have two Glocks with the original Heinie rear sights (pre-slant pro). The only rust on either has been where the sight MGW sight pusher rubbed the finish off the right side on the first one I installed.

I wipe my guns off at the very least every couple of months...usually using a silicone cloth.

I always use a good cold blue to touch up any marks left over from sight installation and then give em a good coat of oil and wipe off. Seems to prevent rust. I always wipe off my sights with a lightly oiled patch or something when I clean my guns. Try to head off any corrosion that might occur. Rust seems to occur more often during the summers in Georgia. Sweat and humidity can kill exposed steel quickly. YMMV.

M16A1
08-26-08, 12:01
I've become spoiled by modern finishes.

RWK
08-27-08, 11:55
I received my M&P slide back from Heinie last week. I had their SlantPro QWIK Straight Eight sights installed. I'd been using their SlantPro Straight Eight's on my Glocks for years and had been anxious for them to come out with Straight Eight's for the M&P. The QWIK set appears to be a combination of the features of the SlantPro, Race Cut, and LEDGE rear sights.

I noticed right away that the M&P Straight Eight's are the same height as the factory Novak's. In spite of the tritium insert, the Heinie front sight is slightly more narrow than the Novak.

The tritium inserts are bright and the rim of the tube isn't overly large or pronounced. They're not as obnoxious as a Big Dot.

nickdrak
08-27-08, 21:30
I received my M&P slide back from Heinie last week. I had their SlantPro QWIK Straight Eight sights installed. I'd been using their SlantPro Straight Eight's on my Glocks for years and had been anxious for them to come out with Straight Eight's for the M&P. The QWIK set appears to be a combination of the features of the SlantPro, Race Cut, and LEDGE rear sights.

I noticed right away that the M&P Straight Eight's are the same height as the factory Novak's. In spite of the tritium insert, the Heinie front sight is slightly more narrow than the Novak.

The tritium inserts are bright and the rim of the tube isn't overly large or pronounced. They're not as obnoxious as a Big Dot.

How about some pics? I havent actually seen what the Heinie M&P sights look like yet.

MAP
08-28-08, 18:24
I put my straight 8s on a few hours ago. It went fairly easy. I needed to remove a small amount from the bottom of both sights. The M&P sight tool is a near "must have" for the project. I measured the front sight to be .130 wide and the rear notch to be .140 wide. These are the standard sights, not the wide notch. I'll zero on Friday am.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a89/MAP1911/DSC_0589.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a89/MAP1911/DSC_0572.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a89/MAP1911/DSC_0602.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a89/MAP1911/DSC_0618.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a89/MAP1911/DSC_0626.jpg

Mike

M16A1
08-28-08, 20:46
That's a great shot of the back cut on the rear. Is that Black T or phosphate?

MAP
08-28-08, 21:28
That's a great shot of the back cut on the rear. Is that Black T or phosphate?

Its not Black T. Its the same finish as all of the Hienie sights.

Mike

nickdrak
08-28-08, 22:23
Map,

Great pics, Thanks! I really dig the profile of the Heinie rear sight. Looks real good!

POF.Ops
08-28-08, 23:12
I am considering the M&P 45 and the Heinie QWIK 8's look like a good option. I like the fact that these are Tritium and the rear notch is wider than the width of the front sight. Novak seems to offer something similar to the Heine I just cant figure what model it is. I seem to recall another sight that has different colored Tritium front and rear with a U notch, what brand of sight is this? Any opinions on which one is best and why? Remember this is a tactical pistol not a 1911 target model. I want to reach in the nightstand, flip on the X300, take aim, and go bang bang.

ToddG
08-29-08, 05:46
I seem to recall another sight that has different colored Tritium front and rear with a U notch, what brand of sight is this?

If you're thinking of the Warren Tactical, it's not a u-notch. A lot of people call it that (include the company's webmaster, to Scott's chagrin) but there's really a pretty substantial difference which is why the sight bridges the gap between the benefits of a square notch and the benefits of a u-notch.

http://pistol-training.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/warren-mp-ns.jpg