PDA

View Full Version : Barrels???

kgj1119
02-05-16, 12:44
Looking to build a new rifle. What are some good barrels that are out there and available Something in the $200-$300 range

bighawk
02-05-16, 12:51
I have put together 3 uppers with Ballistic Advantage barrels in the past 8 months and find them to be very accurate and well made. Two of them 14.5 middys with low profile gas blocks and one 14.5 middy with a front sight post. All 3 of them are great builds and have quite a few rounds through them all both suppressed and not.

JC5188
02-05-16, 12:52
Need to specify what you want to do with the rifle, size requirements, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kgj1119
02-05-16, 12:56
Don't really have a size requirement. I can make it into a pistol if needed. Will be used for a patrol rifle so something lighter in weight is preferred.

VIP3R 237
02-05-16, 12:56
There is a number of quality barrels in that price range. For the price Faxon or Ballistic Advantage are great options.

sadmin
02-05-16, 13:08
be the guinea pig for us on the new Bergara barrels and let us know what comes of it.

http://shop.bergarausa.com/pc_product_detail.asp?key=7EB3359E7F6640CAB449736551A41060

2nd.amendment
02-05-16, 13:16
Looking to build a new rifle. What are some good barrels that are out there and available Something in the $200-$300 range

Lots of options depending on your specific requirements and your price range.
-Under $200 Ballistic and Faxon have already been offered, also check out AR15performance barrels, some would say PSA's FN offerings
-$200-$300 BCM, Colt, Criterion or FN barrels (e.g., from Midwest Industries), Daniel Defense (larger gas ports)

There are others also. If it was me and I was comfortable with spending over $200, it would very tough to not go with one of BCM's ELW barrels . . . like this for a 16"
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-16-Mid-Length-Barrel-ENHANCED-LIGHT-WEIGHT-p/bcm-brl-mid-16-elw-std.htm

SomeOtherGuy
02-05-16, 15:40
Don't really have a size requirement. I can make it into a pistol if needed. Will be used for a patrol rifle so something lighter in weight is preferred.

I wouldn't put together your own upper from parts for a patrol rifle, unless you have an armorer certification. You may be perfectly capable of doing it, but it just doesn't seem like a good idea in terms of potential PR if you ever have to use it and there's any sort of malfunction or error.

If you decide to go ahead anyway, you should pick something that offers you a pinned gas block for reliability. Faxon barrels sold by AIM Surplus have factory pinned gas blocks. I believe some Daniel Defense barrels are available with pinned gas blocks as well. There may be other options. Some companies will offer pinning - for example, AR15 Performance (Harrison) will pin a gas block for a small fee if you supply one and ask for it when ordering. You can also buy barrel X and then ship it to gunsmith Y to have pinning done professional, but the shipping cost will add up to a significant total cost. Some companies sell barrels with pinned FSB gas blocks - Aero Precision has one or two options like that, and again, there are probably others. You can leave it as-is if you want a fixed FSB, or machine it down if you want a low profile gas block.

FaxonNathan
02-07-16, 12:51

Please let us know if we can assist with any questions.

kgj1119
02-07-16, 13:00
Please let us know if we can assist with any questions.

Just waiting for your barrels to come back in stock. Looking for a 16"gunner

PaLEOjd
02-07-16, 13:17
Your Dept. allows self assembled firearms to be carried as your duty rifle, that's a first I've ever heard that. Most have a list of approved factory rifles if you are not issued a dept. rifle. You may want to read through your dept. firearms policy before planning to carry your built rifle. They may actually see that as a liability since it wasn't purchased from an actual gun manufacturer.

Gatorshark
02-11-16, 20:35
My next barrel will be a faxon, but I'm a fan of BCM barrels. Great product and within your price range.

TacMedic556
02-13-16, 15:12
I currently have a barrel in production from http://www.x-caliber.net/ I had the opportunity to tour their facility, see production and hear how their company began as well as what they put into making sure customers get an exemplary product. That information, in addition to see the end product and the targets produced by other individuals was enough to convince me that this was my next barrel. They do make barrels for some "other companies that cannot be named due to non-disclosure agreements". So you may have seen or heard of their work and not even known it.

JG007
02-13-16, 16:34
Your Dept. allows self assembled firearms to be carried as your duty rifle, that's a first I've ever heard that. Most have a list of approved factory rifles if you are not issued a dept. rifle. You may want to read through your dept. firearms policy before planning to carry your built rifle. They may actually see that as a liability since it wasn't purchased from an actual gun manufacturer.

My department has an awesome policy. Any DI gun (or piston, hk/pof that swat is using) you qualify with, you can carry, mine is a suppressed sbr.

Sure it hypothetically possible that someone will assemble a junk gun, but they still have to get armored and inspected in addition to qual.

Handgun policy is awesome too, I've been alternating between my G17 and Springfield Professional

Vegasshooter
02-13-16, 18:08
Two that I can personally recommend are BCM and Faxon. I have 2 BCM stainless 1/8 barrels. One is an 18" on an SPR, the other is a 16" on my Recce. Yesterday my SPR shot a 1moa 5 shot with Federal GMM 77, and my 16" Recce did about .5 moa with the same exact box of ammo. My Recce is consistently about .25 tighter on a 5 shot group than my 18"SPR. They are the same barrel, same day, same box of ammo. I speculate it's that the 16" is stiffer, therefore gives a touch better at 100yds. The other I can recommend is the Faxon. My co worker just put one of the 16" lightweights on an uber-light build he did. Whole gun with sights is 5#!! The barrel is very, very nice for an ultralight barrel. The quality certainly seems excellent. Those are the two that I have the most recent experience with.

EO3
02-14-16, 23:59
I would definitely second the Ballistic Advantage and Faxon Barrels. I've been using a Faxon 14.5 Gunner for quite a while lately, and it is awesome. Extremely lightweight and still has great performance, and Faxon doesn't skimp on the manufacturing. As someone else mentioned, pick them up from AIM Surplus, and it'll come with a pinned gas block! Can't beat them for the money.

ColtSeavers
02-15-16, 00:09
I posted something like this elsewhere, but off the top of my head in no particular order:

Aero Precision/Ballistic Advantage
Daniel Defense
AR15Performance
Green Mountian
Sionics Weapon Systems
Faxon Firearms
Criterion

Are some good places to get quality barrels at realitively cheap prices.

Iraqgunz
02-15-16, 01:25
Not sure how you can recommend the BA barrel, when in another thread you are asking about an SPR build, and you state in regards to BA- Heard good things about BA and like the price. That would imply you have no experience with them.

I would definitely second the Ballistic Advantage and Faxon Barrels. I've been using a Faxon 14.5 Gunner for quite a while lately, and it is awesome. Extremely lightweight and still has great performance, and Faxon doesn't skimp on the manufacturing. As someone else mentioned, pick them up from AIM Surplus, and it'll come with a pinned gas block! Can't beat them for the money.

Iraqgunz
02-15-16, 01:27
I have seen several depts in Texas that allow similar or even AR's that have been modified after the fact. As long as the dept. armorer or firearms training personnel OK it.

ibmikey
02-15-16, 05:21
I have used Faxon barrels on a half dozen of my personal builds and have found them to be of high quality and reasonsbly priced. Mine vary from an extremely light 14.5" to a Medium weight and a couple with m4 profile, no problems, real care in manufacturing and even the light weight is super accurate.

EO3
02-15-16, 07:32
Not sure how you can recommend the BA barrel, when in another thread you are asking about an SPR build, and you state in regards to BA- Heard good things about BA and like the price. That would imply you have no experience with them.

Just as you stated, I said I have heard good things about BA barrels, therefore, I am comfortable recommending their product to others. You are also correct that I personally have no experience with them. However, people that I trust and have built many rifles with them, as well as many other people, have posted some really good reviews of their barrels.

Brahmzy
02-15-16, 07:37
I have used Faxon barrels on a half dozen of my personal builds and have found them to be of high quality and reasonsbly priced. Mine vary from an extremely light 14.5" to a Medium weight and a couple with m4 profile, no problems, real care in manufacturing and even the light weight is super accurate.

What is "super accurate" ?? This is a technical forum, care to go a little deeper into that?