PDA

View Full Version : Carbine buffer tube not straight

morrissey.mt
02-06-16, 10:05
I am building my first high end ar15. This isn't the first I've built but the first with this caliber of components. I've installed a BCM buffer tube with a BCM Gunfighter endplate on a Spikes Tactical lower and staked the castle nut. I've just noticed the stock is slight rotated no more than a few degrees from center. Would any of you go through the process of taking it all apart and ordering a new end plate for a couple degrees off center?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

wigbones
02-06-16, 10:21
Pics would be helpful. I personally would want my higher end parts fitting like they should. I'm sure BCM would replace them if the parts were out of spec.

WS6
02-06-16, 10:25
No end-plate will alleviate this. It's an assembly/attention to detail issue.

morrissey.mt
02-06-16, 10:36
No end-plate will alleviate this. It's an assembly/attention to detail issue.
You're right. The question is though would you go through the process of fixing something the has no effect on operation and would only uncover if you knew what to look for

Live2Gun
02-06-16, 11:17
My OCD would not let it stay off center. I would correct it if it were me. Chances are, after you fix it, you won't do it again.

JC5188
02-06-16, 11:26
I would absolutely correct it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

titsonritz
02-06-16, 11:29
I would drive me nuts, I know because I did the same thing once. I ended up tearing it part and redoing it.

Iraqgunz
02-06-16, 11:55
This can happen and it's worse with commercial tubes. One way to prevent it, is to use a stock and hold the toe while pushing downwards on the castle nut. If the whole OCD thing bothers you, I suggest getting something factory assembled.

Clint
02-06-16, 11:56
Go ahead and re do it.

The end plate may be salvageable by flattening/removng the staking with a punch before removing the nut.

Try a little counter pressure on the stock to prevent rotation as you torque the castle nut.

RazorBurn
02-06-16, 12:09
My OCD would not let it stay off center. I would correct it if it were me. Chances are, after you fix it, you won't do it again.

This is me also. I did it once before and I took it back apart and redid it.

ScottsBad
02-06-16, 13:46
That would drive me completely bonkers, fix it before it infects the rest of your build! When I assembled my first ARs I made a few mistakes and had to disassemble them OR I wasn't satisfied and swapped out parts. This is just part of the process. Ditch the end plate and get a new one, or two, I always keep spares.

morrissey.mt
02-06-16, 13:50
I've redone the stock. I'm out $17 as I didn't reuse the BCM gunfighter endplate. All it offered was a QD mount but looked cool. I had a CMMG end plate laying around. All is well with the build now.

GH41
02-06-16, 15:18
I've redone the stock. I'm out $17 as I didn't reuse the BCM gunfighter endplate. All it offered was a QD mount but looked cool. I had a CMMG end plate laying around. All is well with the build now.

Did you use the proper grease and specified castle nut torque??

morrissey.mt
02-06-16, 15:25
Did you use the proper grease and specified castle nut torque??
I've never used grease on the receiver extention threads. Torqued to ~40ft/lbs

bigwagon
02-06-16, 15:50
Your first mistake was staking it before you checked the alignment. But looks like you corrected it and learned the lesson. This another example of the benefit of good parts. I've had this problem with a sloppy, cheap commercial tube. The last lower I built using Colt parts had perfect timing and no slop whatsoever. It went together in perfect alignment.

GH41
02-06-16, 20:24
I've never used grease on the receiver extention threads. Torqued to ~40ft/lbs

40 ft/lbs and no grease.... Two more reasons to take it off and do it again. You will get it right eventually. Ask first not after you f-up.

titsonritz
02-07-16, 01:02
The problem went away when I started using a Geissele Reaction Block.

This can happen and it's worse with commercial tubes. One way to prevent it, is to use a stock and hold the toe while pushing downwards on the castle nut. If the whole OCD thing bothers you, I suggest getting something factory assembled.

556Cliff
02-07-16, 13:37

I really wanted to buy the Reaction Block for a while after it came out, though I still think it's best for both parts (lower receiver and buffer tube) to be held stationary at the same time. The same way that Colt does it with their fancy jig.

I think the Reaction Block is possibly a better solution than using a lower receiver vise block though.

Iraqgunz
02-07-16, 14:09
I use it as well, but I have still seen some rotational movement.

titsonritz
02-07-16, 14:26
What I do is rotate my vise so the lower (which I place in the Reaction Block laying horizontal) is over my bench and use a wood block cut to a tight fit between the lower and the bench.

I use it as well, but I have still seen some rotational movement.

556Cliff
02-07-16, 18:40
What I do is rotate my vise so the lower (which I place in the Reaction Block laying horizontal) is over my bench and use a wood block cut to a tight fit between the lower and the bench.

Holy crap, that's a good idea... I can't believe I didn't think of it, it's so simple. :blink:

Now I'm going to have to go buy that damn Reaction Block. You now owe me however much I will have to spend on it. ;)

Lincoln7
02-07-16, 20:30
I say loosen castle nut, straighten receiver extension, retighten, and stake on a different notch in the castle nut. Otherwise, leave as is. I have a few ARs that aren't perfect with regards to this and I have never noticed while actually shooting.

morrissey.mt
02-07-16, 20:52
I say loosen castle nut, straighten receiver extension, retighten, and stake on a different notch in the castle nut. Otherwise, leave as is. I have a few ARs that aren't perfect with regards to this and I have never noticed while actually shooting.
I did almost just that. I replaced the end plate as I couldn't stand having an unused stake mark in the plate. I'm a little bummed I'm loosing out on a QD sling mount though

titsonritz
02-08-16, 00:54
I did almost just that. I replaced the end plate as I couldn't stand having an unused stake mark in the plate. I'm a little bummed I'm loosing out on a QD sling mount though

Fuk dude you are beyond OCD. I'd have cleaned up that QD end plate and ran with it.

Quiet-Matt
02-08-16, 04:21
Throw that BCM end plate on the pay it forward thread. Somebody can use it because odds are the notches will be in different places.

bigwagon
02-08-16, 06:14
There's a reason the D in OCD stands for disorder.

556Cliff
02-08-16, 09:56
You guys can do what you want but I don't reuse end plates or gas keys.

That kind of behavior reeks of a shade tree/hack/YouTuber gunsmith... I see this often on TOS.

titsonritz
02-08-16, 17:48
Now I'm going to have to go buy that damn Reaction Block. You now owe me however much I will have to spend on it. ;)

Just not feelin' the Bern. :p

556Cliff
02-08-16, 18:37
Just not feelin' the Bern. :p

Well, my checking account will be feelin it soon enough. :sad: