PDA

View Full Version : oiling buffer spring

fyrelt
02-07-16, 08:46
after reading the thread lack of lube,it seems that the buffer spring dosent need to be lubed,is this true,do you lube the buffer spring or not.

lysander
02-07-16, 09:01
after reading the thread lack of lube,it seems that the buffer spring dosent need to be lubed,is this true,do you lube the buffer spring or not.
from the -10.....

Lightly lubricate inside of lower receiver and extension assembly (1), spring (2), and buffer assembly (3) with CLP (item 1, app D).

BufordTJustice
02-07-16, 09:56
I don't want them bone dry, as Lysander noted. But a little lube goes a long way.

TheChunkNorris
02-07-16, 11:15
Don't know if it's a common practice but I've seen people put heavy grease on the spring to keep the noise down. Guess it has it's advantages?

Inkslinger
02-07-16, 11:28
I don't lube my spring per say. I find with regularly lubing my bcg, a good amount of it ends up in the RE.

Brahmzy
02-07-16, 12:14
I leave it dry. As others have said, some oil (WeaponShield in my case) works it's way in there. I also dry-film lube my buffer springs. Nice, quiet and smooth.

GH41
02-07-16, 12:57
Grease sounds like a bad idea to me.

titsonritz
02-07-16, 13:16
Lubricating the buffer spring (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?114592-Lubricating-the-buffer-spring&highlight=lube+buffer)

Iraqgunz
02-07-16, 13:35
It's for people who are more focused on spring noise than actually shooting.

JulyAZ
02-07-16, 13:42
On the few occasions I do take it out I wipe it down with whatever excess is left on my patches when I'm done cleaning the rest of the rifle, maybe a waste but it doesn't hurt.

titsonritz
02-07-16, 14:09
That's funny you say that, the first time I heard someone going on about spring noise I had no idea what they were talking about, I then had to concentrate to notice it. I guess I was too busy blasting my target.

It's for people who are more focused on spring noise than actually shooting.

Inkslinger
02-07-16, 14:34
The size of the spring compared to the ID of the RE doesn't create a tight enough tolerance that would need lubricant to function properly.

Brahmzy
02-07-16, 14:37
My first AR was a new Colt HBAR Match Target 20"er circa '95 or so. Holy cow that thing had the sproing!
Bothered me for about 2 range trips and I was over it. Honestly, carbines don't have the sproing in any way shape or form compared to a big A2 rifle length setup. It seems to just echo and carry on inside that big empty chamber.
If it really bothers you, there's certainly better ways to deal with that than grease in the RE, good grief.

lawusmc0844
02-07-16, 14:48
Whether issued or personal rifle, when cleaning I always wipe off the carbon from the buffer and spring and apply a thin coat of CLP or Slip EWL using my fingers or silicone cloth before placing it back into the extension. A thin layer doesn't hurt, using grease just sounds stupid.

MtnMan6114
02-07-16, 16:16
Will have to really focus on it next time at the range, (versus the target lol) to see if I can even hear the carbine length or not? Like the idea of the silicone wipe.

tom12.7
02-07-16, 17:32
Wow, some things are really overblown. I use shop towels for many things. Lightly oiled shop towels can start off with a light coating of FC. Eventually, the clean towel starts to get dirty and is used for the dirtier initial cleanup. The oil on the parts is probably about as light as you can get it. Soot and fouling can easily wipe off without being anywhere close to being called "wet".
I do not see the real need beyond that. Wipe it down real quick with the dirtier towels first, then a quick hit with a cleaner one. Literally takes seconds, not minutes.

MegademiC
02-07-16, 17:54
I cover everything to prevent rust. I light film goes a long way. A light film also dampens the spring noise quite a bit

JC5188
02-09-16, 11:13
I wipe with an oily rag. Very light.

All my ARs are carbines...I've never heard the "sproing".

I've been robbed. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BillBond
02-09-16, 11:19
I don't lube my spring per say. I find with regularly lubing my bcg, a good amount of it ends up in the RE.

Same here.
Before every shooting session I put CLP on the bolt and after a couple of mags it ends up everywhere.

Gatorshark
02-10-16, 12:19

It is a bad idea. Sproing is much more pleasant than results of grease on buffer spring.

HeruMew
02-11-16, 14:29
It is a bad idea. Sproing is much more pleasant than results of grease on buffer spring.

Everything I have read indicates greasing is bad for the spring, not needed, and just plain foolish.

I have seen a newbie pull away their rifle, after their first shot, to find that the drain hole in their buffer tube has sprayed a thick string of grease on the inside of their buttstock and on their shoulder. It didn't take long before the Range Master was lecturing the guy for having to show him how to clean globbed up grease at the bottom of the buffer tube, but also how to avoid having the mistake happen again.

The newbie even admitted he had spent to much time reading info online and wanted to avoid the dreaded spring noise. Granted, I can't imagine I am part of a "majority" who happened to read manuals/operation guides and gunsmithing books on the AR Platform before ever owning one, but that's how I was aware of the grease issues before. Once I procured my first AR, I even went out of my way to listen for it and had difficulties. Certainly not something that would concern me at all, even if I could hear it.

Once more, I like to Thank Patrick Sweeny for his Gunsmithing books available, that way I never have to be the guy scrubbing grease out of my clothes because the buffer tube needed to be "lubed".

Maddmax
02-11-16, 15:02
Some of the things that people come up with... I've been doing the same things, the same way for the past 46+ years. Light coat of oil, wiped off as I re-assemble the buffer assembly. Wipe off any hand marks with a light coated oil rag to word off any rust potential.

Amicus
02-12-16, 12:24
For myself, the only reason I apply any oil/lube to the spring is for rust prevention. In some environments, I've had some springs rust/oxidize/turn funny red or black shades. (Stainless steel is rust resistant, not proof.)

Otherwise, I leave it dry.

223to45
02-12-16, 13:51
I oiled inside the RE with a patch and on the spring with FireClean, noticed a pretty good difference in smoothness when charging the AR. So I think it helps.

trinydex
02-19-16, 16:57

probably don't want to leave all that oil in there. it could attract dust/sand, the worst if you go through windstorm in such an area.

T3BEAR
02-19-16, 17:42

The first time you shoot subs with a suppressor you will be wondering what just broke. :)

usmcvet
02-19-16, 22:20

I hear/feel it on every shot but it's kinda tuned out. It's also how I can tell the gun is empty. It makes a different noise and feels different.

JC5188
02-20-16, 06:11
I hear/feel it on every shot but it's kinda tuned out. It's also how I can tell the gun is empty. It makes a different noise and feels different.

Yeah the different feel when empty becomes really noticeable after shooting ARs for awhile. Kinda like malfs with a pistol.

GSMullins
02-21-16, 21:39
I hope to live long enough, and shoot enough rounds, to outlive an un-lubricated action spring. :)

skimbleshanks
02-21-16, 22:04
I toss a couple drops of oil into the receiver extention and a couple down the length of the spring after I have wiped them down during a cleaning. I don't check them every time I clean an ar, but when I do the oil has worked it way onto every surface. I mostly do it to prevent corrosion here in the Pacific northwest. If it's raining when I want to go shooting, I get wet. As for spring noise and grease. Sounds like a bad idea. My a5 system makes more sound than my carbine but neither is bothersome enough make me do something stupid.

wanderson
03-03-16, 13:18

Same here, I just oil the BCG and it makes it way into the buffer tube which is sufficient.

Torquetard
03-03-16, 16:30
A little doesn't hurt

OrbitalE
03-03-16, 21:44
My A2 must have missed the memo on sproing. Probably the quietest action I own. My VLTOR A5 is no louder. For some reason my most recent A5 is quite a bit louder, not sure why.

majohnson
03-04-16, 15:25
Shooting mostly bolt guns all the noise from the spring was the biggest reason I didn't shoot my AR much. Finding a youTube video showing the guy putting a very light amount of grease on the coils. It sure makes a difference not listing to all the noise. Removing the buffer tube and hitting the inside with brake cleaner doesn't take that long. For the quiet it worth the extra step.

GH41
03-04-16, 18:26
Shooting mostly bolt guns all the noise from the spring was the biggest reason I didn't shoot my AR much. Finding a youTube video showing the guy putting a very light amount of grease on the coils. It sure makes a difference not listing to all the noise. Removing the buffer tube and hitting the inside with brake cleaner doesn't take that long. For the quiet it worth the extra step.

I say BS!

MegademiC
03-04-16, 18:54
...all the noise from the spring was the biggest reason I didn't shoot my AR much.

That is classic.

tom12.7
03-04-16, 19:02
A spring is pretty much quiet on its own for this context. You can generate sound waves with a distorted spring and/or RE interior finished and/or misalignment. The db may seem higher than anticipated for some depending on the causes. There is a harmonic wave before it stabilizes, as explained to me by guys that really know springs much better than myself. Most all end up saying that it is most likely due to the higher db being a mechanical issue and/or alignment and contact surfaces than a problem with the base issue concept itself. The db should be hearing safe for all for the spring.

Caduceus
03-04-16, 19:49
I hope to live long enough, and shoot enough rounds, to outlive an un-lubricated action spring. :)

I killed one in about 800 rounds. Mostly 5.56, but.apparently didn't like the 6.8 or 7.62 uppers.

I kept trying to figure out why I couldn't cycle rounds
It was about a half inch shorter than a new spring.

And yes I lightly lube.

majohnson
03-04-16, 20:43
I should clarify it the spring scraping against the inside of the tube. It has nothing to do with sound waves, obviously a spring doesn't make any noise on it own.

Brahmzy
03-04-16, 21:09
WTH do you think a piano or guitar does? Of course springs make sounds.

T2C
03-04-16, 21:16
I killed one in about 800 rounds. Mostly 5.56, but.apparently didn't like the 6.8 or 7.62 uppers.

I kept trying to figure out why I couldn't cycle rounds
It was about a half inch shorter than a new spring.

And yes I lightly lube.

I've seen them run a bit longer when dry. Who manufactured your carbine?