PDA

View Full Version : Paraclete Speed-plates - what can be done with them?

Scotter260
02-09-16, 14:40
I received one with new department issued soft armor last year. There is a provision within the carrier for it however I find it too bulky and detracts from the usefulness/comfort of the regular soft armor.

These are stand-alone for "special threats" - high velocity 9mm, 30 carbine, etc. so my thoughts were it'd be nice if it could be combined into a chest rig to offer at least SOME protection. If I place it in the rear mesh pocket of my SKD Universal the top sits perfectly where it's supposed to be but it's not covered or retained other than by the pressure of the rig pressing against me.

Are there any chest rigs that also have some type of retention provision for plates? 8x10 in particular? Any other suggestions? I do have a PC with plates so it's not primary - this is just an attempt to use something that otherwise resides in a box.

The other option would be to throw it back in the box.

Dump1567
02-09-16, 15:38
Did you wear it for awhile to see if you can get use to it?
I have one front and rear and don't mind them at all. Mine actually seem to help form the vest to me.

Jim D
02-09-16, 21:26
I don't think you're going to find one. 8x10" is pretty big for a concealable plate... the 7x9" is ideal for most folks, in my opinion, with 5x8" being the most common.

Honestly, the vests pass all of their certifications without any additional plates or inserts, so it's just there to spread out trauma.

What I will say is that those speed plates will stop a 1oz 12ga slug at point blank range. I have an 8x10" speed plate with (2) 1oz slugs in it from a vest shoot I did for an agency.

If it's too bulky though, I don't blame you for not wanting to wear it.