PDA

View Full Version : making cured cerakote darker

stx.dead.I
02-09-16, 18:43
Is it possible to make an already cerakoted and cured (burnt bronze) rifle appear darker without having to recerakote it?

Stickman
02-11-16, 00:31
Is it possible to make an already cerakoted and cured (burnt bronze) rifle appear darker without having to recerakote it?

Krylon?

stx.dead.I
02-11-16, 11:40
Krylon?
You mean just spray paint it?

TaterTot
02-11-16, 12:43
Run it hard and get it dirty

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

^Rb
02-11-16, 12:59
Yeah, just wear a pair of these:

Seriously, this is what M4C has devolved to? :(

stx.dead.I
02-11-16, 13:03
Yeah, just wear a pair of these:

Seriously, this is what M4C has devolved to? :(
I'm not sure what you mean?

casador
02-11-16, 13:36
I'm not sure what you mean?

He's just trying to be funny with the sun glass bit. Now for a more commonsense answer. I don't think there is a way to just make Carakote darker with out refinishing it. I have noticed that when I apply oil onto a rag and then wipe the gun down, you do see that it kind of looks a little darker but that doesn't last. So if you want it darker you have to redo it in a darker tone of that burnt bronze. I had a POF that had a nice tone of that color, the gun didn't shoot well for me so I sold it...

Ttwwaack
02-11-16, 13:40
Cerra-Kote is a chemical resistant coating. Adhesion of any topcoats will require abrading/sanding the surface which depending on the part and will be less than optimal when compared with a blasted profile. One idea might be a Rit Dye but will require experimentation for strength and exposure time. Although it is a chemically resistant, the dye might be able to permiate the surface to some extent to ddarken the surface appearance. Besides a light coat of oil and dirt which will clean off with any normal cleaners available today, I think your SOL. Best idea I can think of is contact the manufacturer and discuss with the techs.

If you are worried about tollerances, an experianced blaster using PBM, soda or possibly walnut media could remove the coating without reprofiling the surface. PBM can remove the printing/label from an aluminum soda can without damaging the can itself.

Stickman
02-12-16, 19:34
You mean just spray paint it?

Sure, why not?

Flankenstein
02-15-16, 13:29
Oil.... Dirt.