PDA

View Full Version : Possible meteor kills man in India

C-grunt
02-10-16, 04:08
Reports are coming out that a small meteor landed at a college in India. It killed a bus driver and injured two others nearby. Scientists are still investigating the scene.

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2016/02/09/man-killed-by-meteorite-in-india-say-government-officials.html

Authorities in India say that a small object that plunged from the sky and killed a man on Saturday was a meteorite.

The Tamil Nadu government said that the meteorite crashed into an engineering college in Vellore in Southern India, killing one man and injuring three others, according to The Times of India.

Police say a bus driver standing nearby was hit by the debris and died while being taken to a hospital.

The tragic death may be the first by meteorite in recorded history, according to Live Science.

Citing witnesses, The Times of India reports that the meteorite’s blast left a crater 5 feet deep and 2 feet wide. Police recovered a black, pockmarked stone weighing 0.39 ounces, it said.

Scientists, however, said they had yet to determine whether the object was from outer space or possibly a passing airplane or man-made satellite. Experts from the Indian Institute of Astrophysics on Tuesday examined the impact crater using metal detectors to check the site for the presence of metals and dug up the so

GH41
02-10-16, 06:36
Thinking 0.39 ounces is a misprint.

FromMyColdDeadHand
02-10-16, 07:21
I've been to India. How a meteorite could land there and NOT his someone would be a more surprising occurrence. That place is SRO.

Averageman
02-10-16, 08:07
I've been to India. How a meteorite could land there and NOT his someone would be a more surprising occurrence. That place is SRO.

I've always wanted to visit India, but so far haven't had the chance.
Imagine coming to in front of St Peter and expecting some sort of eight armed Monkey God awaiting you?

FromMyColdDeadHand
02-10-16, 09:20
India is unlike anything people expect. It is actually a multicultural conglomeration that the British clumped together. Hundreds of different languages and lots of different ethnicities. Like put four Europes together. Where we have four talking heads on our news-shout shows, they will have two rows of four for 8 guests, or even more. Different foods- and you haven't had a stomache bug until you've gotten one in India.

Not a very handsome people. You gain about 3 'hot' points going over there. Our locals over there asked how I was 'healthy'- ie fat since getting fat over their is hard. The whole cow thing is true, and they get really agitated if you pet them. Imagine if they came over and started to pet the Pope. Family of four on a moped is real.

Their 'strip clubs' don't even have the girls show ankles, and one dancer chick was actually a dude. My hosts also forgot to mention that the 'girlie bars' are illegal and we got raided- and me the only pale face in the place.

Great people, most everyone speaks English. You get used to the head bob thing. The poor-rich divide is incredible. I had dinner with our distributor and some of his buddies. Half way thru the dinner I realize that they are all worth over $100million.

Think of it like the 1950s Mad Men, but with some Twilight Zone mixed in. I actually flew on a trip from Mumbai to Dubai- now that hurts your head, and I'm not talking about jet lag.

That a meteorite hit someone- yep, I can see it. You are almost guaranteed a head shot if you are playing "how high can I throw the lawn jarts" over there.

Koshinn
02-10-16, 09:23

That was probably the only thing left after entry and impact.

sniperfrog
02-11-16, 12:32
I'm not an astrophysicist but .39 ounces seams like it may have just been a piece of gravel they found laying there.

I was doing some training in Albuquerque and there were a bunch of dudes from India going through some State Dept training. The hotel was preparing all beef-less meals for these guys.

We busted them at a Wendys eating hamburgers and the look on their faces was priceless. You would've thought we caught them jerkin' off.

AKDoug
02-11-16, 13:39

Thats 170gr going roughly 37,000 FPS... that's going to f**k some shit up.

added on edit** I am no physics guy, so what would the terminal velocity of something like this?

GH41
02-11-16, 18:04
Thats 170gr going roughly 37,000 FPS... that's going to f**k some shit up.

added on edit** I am no physics guy, so what would the terminal velocity of something like this?

You need to talk to a physics guy.

Linebacker
02-11-16, 18:19
Was he wearing clean underwear?