PDA

View Full Version : Gun cabinet organization

vpetrell
02-10-16, 07:38
Not sure if right area. Please move if needed

I am looking for ideas on how to organize my gun cabinet.

Unfortunately living in a small apartment, I am limited to a gun cabinet for now. I will eventually upgrade to a safe when I have more room.

My issue is organization for it. I am seeing lots of options to use the foam gun racks for my pistols, but they are a little too large for my shelf I have in there.

Is there a good alternative? I've seen the magnetic weapon racks and the weapon rods to hang, but am not sure what to use.

Has anyone had this issue before? What did you do to organize your safe or cabinet?

Let me know!

Thanks

VP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ColtSeavers
02-10-16, 09:20
It would help if you included some crucial information like what guns and equipment do you are trying to store in your cabinet as well as either what cabinet you have or at least the interior dimensions and general layout if you prefer not to advertise what cabinet you have.

TheChunkNorris
02-10-16, 11:08
I have a Cannon and had to switch it up a bit. Used the Gun Storage Solution rods and have think they're a little flimsy. Here's my safe.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160210/f7421b7eea3875e2c2fec3cfc1c6c49b.jpg

vpetrell
02-10-16, 12:15
It would help if you included some crucial information like what guns and equipment do you are trying to store in your cabinet as well as either what cabinet you have or at least the interior dimensions and general layout if you prefer not to advertise what cabinet you have.

I will have to take measurements tonight and update. It is a sentinel 8gun case. I believe it is 13" deep, 17" wide and 52" tall. Roughly.

Will be for 1 16" ar 1 11.5" sbr rem 870 and 2 pistols for now. If possible will keep a few magazines as well. It's not much but I have just ran out of the limited room it allows. Mainly looking for handgun organization.

vpetrell
02-10-16, 14:39
I have a Cannon and had to switch it up a bit. Used the Gun Storage Solution rods and have think they're a little flimsy. Here's my safe.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160210/f7421b7eea3875e2c2fec3cfc1c6c49b.jpg

Good looking collection there! Lots of fun toys to play with.

I eventually will have a safe when I get a bigger place. May even be able to get one where I'm at now, but have other priorities first.

How do you like the racks for the pistols? It's either those, magnet holsters for the side walls or a gps foam pistol cradle.

If I get the cradle, I'll have to cut to size to sit on the shelf that is currently in there.

Thanks

VP

bzdog
02-10-16, 14:43
There are also hangars:

http://www.bzdog.org/bzd0g/safe/safe.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

vpetrell
02-10-16, 14:52
There are also hangars:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do you like the hangers? Issue I'll have with them is they may hang too low and bump the muzzles of my rifle. Possibly. I'll have to measure and see how much room I actually have, but the cabinet I'm using now is pretty much full and always with only the few firearms in there now.

VP

bzdog
02-10-16, 15:14
I like them. They are simple and effective.

-john

Ranger325
02-10-16, 17:54
Bzdog, what are the black storage bags/containers with the snap links?

Tigereye
02-10-16, 20:21
I have the same pistol racks as Chunk above and like them. It's a pretty easy solution.

bzdog
02-10-16, 20:58
Bzdog, what are the black storage bags/containers with the snap links?

Maxpedition Rolly Polly pouches with a carabiner for grab-n-go ammunition.

Handgun ammo directly over matching firearms.

-john

http://www.bzdog.org/bzd0g/safe/rolly_polly_ar_mags.jpg

http://www.bzdog.org/bzd0g/safe/rolly_polly_handgun_mags.jpg

HMM
02-10-16, 21:15
I'm going to have to get me two of those bags. I like the grab-n-go capability! Thanks for sharing.

26 Inf
02-10-16, 22:52
Re: The hangers, I like doing simple stuff, so I went to Ace Hardware, bought some soft steel rods and plastic tubing to cover one end. I cut the rods into 14 inch lengths, marked 6 inches, clamped it in the vise, put a piece of electrical conduit over the six inch section and bent it 90 degrees, then reset and did the same so I had a 'U' with approximately 6 inch legs. I put the plastic tubing on one leg and repeated that process 8 times.

I was going for more but it dawned on me that the .22's wouldn't fit on the rods with the plastic. I was pretty sure the steel in the rods was softer than the barrels, but just to be safe I went whole hog and got brass rod (pricier) and made 4 additional holders for the .22 pistols.

I took the top shelf out of the safe, flipped it over and screwed two eye hooks for each holder into the bottom of the shelf. Slid the non tubing covered leg of each holder through the eyelets and then flipped the shelf over and put it back in the safe.

The only problem I had was the holders tended to slip backwards when I was putting pistols on them. Instead of simply taking zip ties and putting one on the end of each top leg to limit backwards movement I took the shelf out and drilled a small hole in the upper leg of each holder and installed a cotter pin to limit movement back.

It was a okay way to pass an evening and was way way cheaper than these:

http://www.storemoreguns.com/collections/gun-safe-accessories/products/handgun-hangers?variant=6714966401

Plus, I don't have the upper leg of the 's' shaped holders on the top of the shelf.

I find that when I do a project like this it is best to put on my oldest pair of bibbers (that still fits), put a small chaw in and play Dueling Banjos on continuous loop until I'm finished. :rolleyes:

TheChunkNorris
02-11-16, 04:15
Good looking collection there! Lots of fun toys to play with.

I eventually will have a safe when I get a bigger place. May even be able to get one where I'm at now, but have other priorities first.

How do you like the racks for the pistols? It's either those, magnet holsters for the side walls or a gps foam pistol cradle.

If I get the cradle, I'll have to cut to size to sit on the shelf that is currently in there.

Thanks

VP

I like them and they're the only things I'm going to keep from that current set up.

Ranger325
02-11-16, 06:17
Maxpedition Rolly Polly pouches with a carabiner for grab-n-go ammunition.

Very cool - thanks!