PDA

View Full Version : Need some input for my first build.

Kramerica
08-15-08, 18:03
Here is my parts list so far.

LMT : Defender Lower with SOPMOD Stock and Standard Trigger
http://www.lewismachine.net/product.php?p=47&cid=4&session=9fcfe82cb3897de6b74fe37d68b8f280

16" Upper Receiver Assembly with flash suppressor and standard bolt carrier group with charging handle.
http://www.lewismachine.net/product.php?p=63&cid=6&session=9fcfe82cb3897de6b74fe37d68b8f280

Either
LaRue Tactical 7.0" Handguard LT15-7
http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=46

or

Daniel Defense Omega Rail™ 7.0 (Carbine)
http://www.danieldefense.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=109

Am I missing anything? What is the difference between semi-auto and full-auto bcg? What if I want to shoot full auto later on that upper? Will I have to assemble too much, or will it come pre-assembled? Since it is my first ar, I'd rather it be pre-assembled.

SV650Squid
08-15-08, 18:54
You might as well get the full auto BCG.

For assembly, everything should be pretty well assembled. Put the charging handle and BCG in the upper and pin them together.

For the rails, both are very high quality (from what I've read, I haven't seen either in person). The omega rail will be easier to install, if that's a concern.

Kramerica
08-15-08, 19:00
You might as well get the full auto BCG.

For assembly, everything should be pretty well assembled. Put the charging handle and BCG in the upper and pin them together.

For the rails, both are very high quality (from what I've read, I haven't seen either in person). The omega rail will be easier to install, if that's a concern.

As for the rails, if you have other recommendations that will be cheaper, but essentially just as good, feel free to let me know. I am trying to cut the cost a little. I'd like to spend no more than $100 for everything, so I might alter some of the parts. I do take the easiness of installation into consideration, but I can always take it to a gunsmith if necessary. I'm pretty good with my hands, but like I said, this is my first ar I'd be getting so I'm a noob.

PRGGodfather
08-15-08, 19:29
As for the rails, if you have other recommendations that will be cheaper, but essentially just as good, feel free to let me know. I am trying to cut the cost a little. I'd like to spend no more than $100 for everything, so I might alter some of the parts. I do take the easiness of installation into consideration, but I can always take it to a gunsmith if necessary. I'm pretty good with my hands, but like I said, this is my first ar I'd be getting so I'm a noob.

Kramerica:

I sure hope you meant $1,000 because this build isn't going to happen on a C-note!

Anyway, you are starting with some excellent components! Buy once and cry once, a wise man said!

FYI, there are some important differences to note about your proposed rails:

The Larue 7.0 is a one-piece free float rail, and the DD Omega is a two-piece FF rail. The Omega is easier to install, especially if you have little experience on the AR platform. Personally, the DD is a HIGH quality product, and one need not remove the front sight to install it, such as with the Larue.

The Larue would be a little lighter as a one-piece, but a little more experience and some tools are necessary to install it -- and you can watch the video on the Larue website for that. The DD just needs its included Allen wrench.

BOTH Larue and Daniel Defense are great, period.

I think you will find the AR platform is not nearly as complicated as some would make it out to be. I find working on them to be a lot fun and at times, downright therapeutic.

As to the full-auto question, the full auto BCG is "solid" -- the amount of steel at the top and bottom of the rear part of the BCG are symmetrical. This is so the bottom of the rear BCG can engage the auto-sear, which would be included in a full-auto lower. Purchasing a FA BCG now will allow you to do that in the future.

Your semi-auto lower would need to be tapped for the auto-sear pivot pin -- if you were looking to build a Class 3 weapon later on with the appropriate permits, etc. Or should you purchase a FA lower, you could drop this upper with FA BCG right on top of it.

As an option, for just about the same amount of money, one could consider purchasing a Noveske N4 midlength 16" upper from Grant at www.gandrtactical.com and ask him to install the DD Omega 9.0 FF rail. That would be $765 for the whole set up, and with no worries.

Purchasing either an LMT or BCM FA BCG, with A2 FH and Mil-Spec charging handle all together would run $923 plus shipping. Unfortunately, the N4 is out of stock at the moment.

The mid-length gas system creates less wear and tear on the rifle than a carbine system, and can use a standard carbine buffer, rather than an H buffer. Accordingly, that means the middy will have a longer service life than a carbine, all things being equal.

If I had to keep just one AR, it would be this set up... JMHO.

Good luck and have fun! The options are... endless.

Kramerica
08-15-08, 20:10
Kramerica:

I sure hope you meant $1,000 because this build isn't going to happen on a C-note!
HAHA, yea typo on my part. If only...

Anyway, you are starting with some excellent components! Buy once and cry once, a wise man said!

FYI, there are some important differences to note about your proposed rails:

The Larue 7.0 is a one-piece free float rail, and the DD Omega is a two-piece FF rail. The Omega is easier to install, especially if you have little experience on the AR platform. Personally, the DD is a HIGH quality product, and one need not remove the front sight to install it, such as with the Larue.

The Larue would be a little lighter as a one-piece, but a little more experience and some tools are necessary to install it -- and you can watch the video on the Larue website for that. The DD just needs its included Allen wrench.

BOTH Larue and Daniel Defense are great, period.

I think you will find the AR platform is not nearly as complicated as some would make it out to be. I find working on them to be a lot fun and at times, downright therapeutic.

As to the full-auto question, the full auto BCG is "solid" -- the amount of steel at the top and bottom of the rear part of the BCG are symmetrical. This is so the bottom of the rear BCG can engage the auto-sear, which would be included in a full-auto lower. Purchasing a FA BCG now will allow you to do that in the future.

So the full auto has no downsides then? It definitely would make sense to get FA to give you the opportunity in the future. LMT has a few different BCGs. Enhanced BCG, enhanced bolt assy, etc. Will a standard BCG suffice?

Your semi-auto lower would need to be tapped for the auto-sear pivot pin -- if you were looking to build a Class 3 weapon later on with the appropriate permits, etc. Or should you purchase a FA lower, you could drop this upper with FA BCG right on top of it.

As an option, for just about the same amount of money, one could consider purchasing a Noveske N4 midlength 16" upper from Grant at www.gandrtactical.com and ask him to install the DD Omega 9.0 FF rail. That would be $765 for the whole set up, and with no worries.

And just use the aforementioned LMT lower assembly? Is the Noveske n4 better than the LMT?

Purchasing either an LMT or BCM FA BCG, with A2 FH and Mil-Spec charging handle all together would run $923 plus shipping. Unfortunately, the N4 is out of stock at the moment.

A2 FH? So it would be $923 for a complete upper using the n4? I wasn't looking to spend that much, but we'll see.

The mid-length gas system creates less wear and tear on the rifle than a carbine system, and can use a standard carbine buffer, rather than an H buffer. Accordingly, that means the middy will have a longer service life than a carbine, all things being equal.

If I had to keep just one AR, it would be this set up... JMHO.

Good luck and have fun! The options are... endless.

Yea I did read that somewhere. What difference in service life are we talking about?

PRGGodfather
08-15-08, 21:06
HAHA, yea typo on my part. If only...

NO WORRIES! Just thought it was funny (and wishful thinking) ;)...

So the full auto has no downsides then? It definitely would make sense to get FA to give you the opportunity in the future. LMT has a few different BCGs. Enhanced BCG, enhanced bolt assy, etc. Will a standard BCG suffice?

An LMT or BCM M16 BCG will do the trick.

And just use the aforementioned LMT lower assembly? Is the Noveske n4 better than the LMT?

For FA, a properly "tapped" semi lower with the installed FA parts WILL work, but the AR15 hammer in the trigger control group will also need to be replaced with a FA hammer. An AR15 hammer does not have the hook needed to engage the auto sear.

Further, there would be no "AUTO" designation mark on a semi-auto lower -- thus, while mechanically, this would be functional in FA -- it's not the best route. The BEST route is to obtain a properly licensed FA lower.

I prefer the middy to the carbine, FWIW -- and the Noveske is definitely top notch.

A2 FH? So it would be $923 for a complete upper using the n4? I wasn't looking to spend that much, but we'll see.

A2 flash hider. Yes, $923 plus shipping for:

Noveske N4 16" 1/7 Midlength upper
DD Omega 9.0 FF Rail (installed)
LMT or BCM M16 (FA) BCG
A2 flash hider
Mil-Spec charging handle

Also, a 16" bbl will give you FH options down the road, since it will not need to be soldered and pinned, as is the case with a 14.5" bbl.

This package is not cheap, but it would be a solid performer, an excellent foundation and platform from which to work, and you will have done it right the first time.

It would likely outlive you, and you will have been happy for purchasing well at the onset.

Of course, some people like to "tinker" and that's where they derive their joy. Personally, I like building them, but I would want it done right the first time.

Yea I did read that somewhere. What difference in service life are we talking about?

Wear and tear is caused by internal pressure. The higher pressure, the more your rifle will experience. The internal pressure created by a carbine is almost twice that created by a 20" A2, IIRC.

What that means exactly, as to round count, etc. -- I cannot say with any certainty unless I look it up -- and I don't have the time for that, at the moment.

target4fun
08-19-08, 12:13
Good looking builld so far