PDA

View Full Version : 227 carry

treecop
02-11-16, 06:50
Looking at a Sig p227 carry. I've previously owned or shot almost everything in the Classic line, carried a 220 for years before selling it off and being sidetracked by GLOCK.

Carry will be primarily open/duty, concealment is not a huge issue. I like the shorter barrel, also carried a 229 for a while.

Any reason not to buy?

Mysteryman
02-11-16, 17:12
Why handicap yourself with a heavy recoiling gun with an inferior magazine capacity? I don't want to debate calibre here as they all suck, but having more rounds on tap and more in spare magazines means you can drive the fight longer. A double stack 9mm is also cheaper and easier to shoot while being both smaller and lighter. I'm also not a fan of DA/SA guns, the design is outdated and requires more effort to learn and master over an SA gun or a DAO/striker fired gun. Just some thoughts.

MM

DBZ220
02-11-16, 17:53
The P227 is a solid pistol in my experience. Our state police went with the fullsize P227 and feedback has been generally good, some personal preferences aside. Just avoid the 14rnd extended mags as they've been problematic. It's not a particularly heavy recoiling pistol, and if you liked the P220, and the SIG system in general, then there's no real reason not to get one.

treecop
02-11-16, 20:48
My biggest concerns are new model quirks: i.e. 14rd mag issues, and whether the extra 2 rounds are worth the extra thickness over a 220 carry. Planning to do a side by side comparison in LGS this weekend.

DBZ220
02-12-16, 04:07
My biggest concerns are new model quirks: i.e. 14rd mag issues, and whether the extra 2 rounds are worth the extra thickness over a 220 carry. Planning to do a side by side comparison in LGS this weekend.

That was my personal problem with the P227. It never felt right in my hands, even after changing grips. I'm a long time P220 user and in the end I just decided to stay with what worked best for me.

masakari
02-12-16, 04:52
The very very high bore axis, outdated DA/SA operation, and overall large size and weight of the Sig 227 have totally turned me off to it. And I haven't met a PA Trooper yet who likes them.
If you want a .45, there's nothing wrong with that. But there are so many better choices, like the M&P45 (check out the midsize).

PureBS90
02-12-16, 16:38
I carry the full size P227 for my department and like most things about it. As far as the Carry model, I'm a fan of 4" and < barrels for .45 pistols. The 230 grain is an already slow moving round and I like the velocity of the 4.4" barrel vs the 3.9" Carry barrel. Probably not a huge difference in velocity but that's just me.

swampwolf
02-13-16, 14:50
After handling the Model 227 with the "E2" grip (same as the one on my Model 226), I liked it so much that I sold my Model 220 Carry and bought the Model 227. The E2 grip feels that much better in my rather largish hand(s); the extra two rounds being icing on the cake. I opted for the "standard" version as opposed to the Carry variant this time around because I don't think the slightly shorter barrel contributes very much to carrying the pistol concealed.

Freethought
02-14-16, 10:11
Looking at a Sig p227 carry. I've previously owned or shot almost everything in the Classic line, carried a 220 for years before selling it off and being sidetracked by GLOCK.

Carry will be primarily open/duty, concealment is not a huge issue. I like the shorter barrel, also carried a 229 for a while.

Any reason not to buy?

Depends on how you look at it , by the way research the problems with the 14 round extended magazines prior to buying a 227. For me since I've got a half dozen P220s and several 229s of various models it just didn't make much sense for me to invest in a 227 just to gain 2 rounds of capacity over the 220s , if I really need capacity I just carry one of the 229s in .357 sig or 9mm instead of a 220............(notwithstanding the hackneyed .45 acp versus 9mm versus .357 sig arguements).

Now if I didn't already have the investment I have in other Sigs the 227 might get some consideration , as it is...not so much.

YMMV

gtmtnbiker98
02-15-16, 10:23
When people start talking bore axis, their credibility goes straight to zero.