PDA

View Full Version : First AR Recommendation?

m44patriot
02-11-16, 20:35
Hey all,

First off, I'm new to the forum, and am looking at getting my first AR. I've done quite a bit of research and am trying to find a good sub-$800 AR with a few specific features. Looking for a 16" barrel, mid-length gas system, and a flat-top receiver with the standard split handguard. Just a good, simple rifle that shoots and isn't junk. Can anybody make any recommendations?

7.62NATO
02-11-16, 20:42
Hey all,

First off, I'm new to the forum, and am looking at getting my first AR. I've done quite a bit of research and am trying to find a good sub-$800 AR with a few specific features. Looking for a 16" barrel, mid-length gas system, and a flat-top receiver with the standard split handguard. Just a good, simple rifle that shoots and isn't junk. Can anybody make any recommendations?

BCM lower with basic BCM middy upper.

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=LWR-BCM

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-16-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-mid-16.htm

Or with carbine gas, a Colt 6920/6720 (LW barrel).

casador
02-11-16, 20:51
Hey all,

Welcome!

Although there are plenty of AR's on the market, I personally would go maybe a little more $ if I had to, but I would buy a Colt 6920. If it's your first one I would make it a Colt, If you wanted the full length AR15, there are Colt AR15A4's available right now and I would recommend jumping all over one now before they disappear again. I did and I'm very happy with the rifle....

henschman
02-11-16, 21:33
x2 for the BCM... 16" standard mid-length lightweight upper, put it on a BCM lower (or save a few bucks by building with PSA stuff... just be sure and get the 7075 receiver extension and H buffer), a rear sight, and some furniture.

Zirk208
02-11-16, 21:36
BCM lower with basic BCM middy upper.

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=LWR-BCM

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-16-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-mid-16.htm

Or with carbine gas, a Colt 6920/6720 (LW barrel).

+1 This. You can get some Magpul MOE hand guards for $30 +/-

To the post above recommending a 6920 or a 20" AR15A4...Try reading the OP's requested specs again. 16" barrel and mid-length gas. (You failed on both).

Uprange41
02-11-16, 21:36
x3 on the standard BCM mid-length upper on a BCM lower. Add ~$75 for handguards and a rear sight, and you're in business.

Boba Fett v2
02-11-16, 21:46
Hey all,

Battle Rifle Company
Bushmaster
DPMS

In that order.

casador
02-12-16, 09:21
+1 This. You can get some Magpul MOE hand guards for $30 +/-

To the post above recommending a 6920 or a 20" AR15A4...Try reading the OP's requested specs again. 16" barrel and mid-length gas. (You failed on both).

He's asking for opinions, what better way to start then with a Colt, he's not talking about building a comp gun or anything. >Listen I'll respect your opinion but you have to learn to respect the well intended too. This cannot be one of those places where you get slapped every time one's opinion docent fall directly on the mark, it's the good intention that counts.. Remember not everybody here is a pro like you!!

'

Berserkr556
02-12-16, 09:49
He's asking for opinions, what better way to start then with a Colt, he's not talking about building a comp gun or anything. >Listen I'll respect your opinion but you have to learn to respect the well intended too. This cannot be one of those places where you get slapped every time one's opinion docent fall directly on the mark, it's the good intention that counts.. Remember not everybody here is a pro like you!!

'

What part of, "Looking for a 16" barrel, mid-length gas system, and a flat-top receiver with the standard split handguard." don't you understand ? Read more post less.

m44patriot : Buy a BCM Standard 16" Mid-Length Upper from BCM then add the sight and hand guard of your choice. Buy a BCM Lower from G&R Tactical and you're good to go.

Mr. Goodtimes
02-12-16, 12:09
Battle Rifle Company
Bushmaster
DPMS

In that order.

Not familiar with the first company but the OP said he wanted a rifle that wasn't complete junk, those last two are complete junk for sure, I'm going to go out on a limb and say the first one is garbage too as I've never heard of them.

OP, go with a BCM standard 16.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zirk208
02-12-16, 12:39

'

Being a pro has noting to do with it, nor am I putting someone down for their opinion. The OP listed off what he wants. I seconded a reply that was right in line with what he wants. Who am I to try and point him in a different direction if he's done his homework and knows what he wants? If my reply had been something contrary to what the OP was asking about, would I not then be the one putting down someone else's opinion?

Every time someone posts on here asking "What rifle do I buy" the first replies are members asking for them to narrow it down and provide some structure as to what they plan on using the rifle for and what options they are considering. The OP was nice enough to do just that. Working within the constraints, the replies followed.

When someone asks you about buying a two door Chevy truck, do you reply that they should really consider buying a four door Honda Civic?

Leaveammoforme
02-12-16, 12:39
Not familiar with the first company but the OP said he wanted a rifle that wasn't complete junk, those last two are complete junk for sure, I'm going to go out on a limb and say the first one is garbage too as I've never heard of them.

I think BFv2 was just beating m44 to the punch. That's how these threads generally go anyways.

"Hey! What should I buy?". "Thanks for replies, I went with DPMS"

HCrum87hc
02-12-16, 13:05
Battle Rifle Company
Bushmaster
DPMS

In that order.

Holy crap. I'd forgotten about the Battle Rifle Company debacle. What a joke. OP, Boba Fett v2 is being facetious. He and everyone here knows those brands are not up to snuff. You'll be very well suited with the BCM setup that has been recommended. BCM is great quality at a reasonable price with great customer service.

PrivateCitizen
02-12-16, 13:22
This train has 3 stops in no particular order:

Colt, BCM, Daniel Defense.

Even with the relative shortness of the thread thus far you will already see a pattern emerging. I am probably not offering any thing different.

There is a reason for that.

Personally, if I had to choose my "day of exposure" to the platform but with all the modern *meaningful* advancements in check there is no better sample:

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-RECCE-16-KMR-A-FULL-PURCHASE-p/bcm-rifle-750-790.htm
(plus some Magpul MBUS sites)

The purist in me counters with this:
http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=LE6920MPS-B
(you could take this directly to the range)

After that it is all hand-wringing and money that could have been spent making holes until you have a reason to do something different.

There are plenty of other brands, directions, pricing tiers, configs, colors, etc that are 100% legit. But a baseline knowledge is key.

Boba Fett v2
02-12-16, 13:28

The humor went way over your head I see.

Mr. Goodtimes
02-12-16, 13:33
The humor went way over your head I see.

I sea wut you did thur. Sorry, I've been on vacation from here for a few years... Lots of new faces so I'm still trying to figure out who's who. I'll add you to my "not retard" list.

sva01
02-12-16, 13:42
Battle Rifle Company
Bushmaster
DPMS

In that order.

That made me laugh!

BCM is probably the easiest answer to the question...

RAM Engineer
02-12-16, 15:59
Hey all,

1. Why do you want a mid-length gas system?
2. Colt 6920 unless you have to have mid-length, then BCM.

titsonritz
02-12-16, 16:41
Battle Rifle Company
Bushmaster
DPMS

In that order.

You are a cruel man. I spit my drink on my monitor. :jester:

adh
02-12-16, 17:03
Battle Rifle Company
Bushmaster
DPMS

In that order.

impossible to explain to my 13 YO son why I'm laughing right now

Get the BCM lower and upper as recommended

casador
02-12-16, 17:45
Being a pro has noting to do with it, nor am I putting someone down for their opinion. The OP listed off what he wants. I seconded a reply that was right in line with what he wants. Who am I to try and point him in a different direction if he's done his homework and knows what he wants? If my reply had been something contrary to what the OP was asking about, would I not then be the one putting down someone else's opinion?

Every time someone posts on here asking "What rifle do I buy" the first replies are members asking for them to narrow it down and provide some structure as to what they plan on using the rifle for and what options they are considering. The OP was nice enough to do just that. Working within the constraints, the replies followed.

When someone asks you about buying a two door Chevy truck, do you reply that they should really consider buying a four door Honda Civic?
You continue to say that I failed to read what the OP said he was looking for. I read what he said but he also said he was new to this and this would be his first AR, others here have basically echoed the same recommendation minus the Colt A4 rifle. Listen I don't know how long you've been around this but I have been for many years now and have made my share of mistakes. And this is not the same as telling someone that is looking for a pickup to go buy a Honda Civic. Again my problem is your disrespectful and like I said, your opinion is yours and mine is mine, respect me and I will respect you......

TheNegativeOne
02-12-16, 18:56
My recommendation would be a bushmaster. They have been producing military grade AR's since 1973. Buy once, cry once.

TacMedic556
02-12-16, 19:24
Olympic chArms, Rock Diver, Windsham Weaponry - those are the top three.

If you want to pay for a name and be a "fan boy" like me go with COLT, BCM, DANIEL DEFENSE.

Cokie
02-12-16, 19:32
Nobody has mentioned PSA yet?

Cold/Bore
02-12-16, 19:43
Nobody has mentioned PSA yet?

This is m4carbine.net.

Going4Broke
02-12-16, 19:51
Can someone please show me a Daniels Defense for around $800? Or even $1000?

JC5188
02-12-16, 19:59
Very first post was the answer to your question. Hang around long enough, and you'll understand the other posts.

Welcome to the forum.

ww2farmer
02-12-16, 20:00
BCM upper on an Aero Precision lower if your going to keep it forever and run the crap out of it.

Colt if you ever want to re-sell.

Good luck with trying to explain to a prospective buyer how "just as good as x" the budget stuff from Spikes, PSA, Del-ton, etc....is. I am not a gear snob and own plenty of stuff from the budget companies , but it is what it is..............and what it is..........is NOT Colt, BCM, Daniel Defense, etc...

Cincinnatus15
02-12-16, 20:01
Colt 6920, spend a little more and get one. It's everything you need and nothing you don't.

strider51
02-12-16, 20:18
You continue to say that I failed to read what the OP said he was looking for. I read what he said but he also said he was new to this and this would be his first AR, others here have basically echoed the same recommendation minus the Colt A4 rifle. Listen I don't know how long you've been around this but I have been for many years now and have made my share of mistakes. And this is not the same as telling someone that is looking for a pickup to go buy a Honda Civic. Again my problem is your disrespectful and like I said, your opinion is yours and mine is mine, respect me and I will respect you......

Long time lurker here.

Why does everyone get all uptight about any little thing? Not saying either of you are wrong. I loved that you offered other suggestions, and I understand that the OP asked for a MiLF (midLength Firing). I too would go with a middy, I never shoot my 6920 because its "less fun" compared to my middies. But please, don't pull us lurkers out to bitch about your bitching to each other. We all embrace this forum, and most peoples insights are respected by the majority.

Together we stand, divided we fall.

TheNegativeOne
02-13-16, 07:06
Long time lurker here.

Why does everyone get all uptight about any little thing? Not saying either of you are wrong. I loved that you offered other suggestions, and I understand that the OP asked for a MiLF (midLength Firing). I too would go with a middy, I never shoot my 6920 because its "less fun" compared to my middies. But please, don't pull us lurkers out to bitch about your bitching to each other. We all embrace this forum, and most peoples insights are respected by the majority.

Together we stand, divided we fall.
The jack boots are coming.

Mikill Drengr
02-13-16, 07:11
+++ for a BCM. I just bought my first AR as well, and after a ton of research I bought a lightly wounded see BCM mid length upper and I will be getting a BCM lower for it soon. For now it's on a borrowed CMMG lower from a very generous friend.

3 AE
02-13-16, 09:43
Hey all,

Just going by your post and not knowing if you've got any trigger time at all on an AR, and this being your first AR purchase, go buy a complete factory rifle from a reputable manufacturer. Get some time on the gun and a few classes under your belt and you'll pretty much find out what you need in upgrades, if any to enhance your performance. Remember if you budget for a sling, weapons light and mount, extra magazines, a case of good ammo, and possibly a reliable Red Dot Sight, you'll probably need to double your budget!

Meeting your requirements except for being a carbine gas length system, I'd go with a Colt 6720. For some reason they usually cost less than a 6920. It's a solid, well built, reliable carbine from a company that knows how to properly build an AR. Besides, we both know that this won't be the only AR in your future! You'll add to, and customize to your hearts content as soon as the cash flow increases! Will PM you with several online sources of the 6720 that are "in stock". Welcome to the forum. P.S. Don't forget to spend some quality time with many of the "Stickies" that are listed at the top of each sub-forum. A very valuable source of info to guide your way to AR Nirvana!

m44patriot
02-14-16, 02:18
I spent a bit of trigger time getting to know the system, trying out a few things, tweaking bits like stock length and a few other things. I'm, at heart, an AK girl, but AK stuff isn't super popular here locally, so it's harder to find mags and ammo. Buying in bulk online can be expensive if I'm not buying in bulk, and even then it's not cheap by any means. I talked to a couple of friends who let me mess with what they have and put together what I'm after based on research with a bit of experience.

That being said, I ordered one of the BCM mid-length uppers with a bolt-carrier group and charging handle, as well as a pair of A2-style handguards. I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for a deal on a lower and for it, and then I'll get out to the range and see how it does.

Uprange41
02-14-16, 02:24
I spent a bit of trigger time getting to know the system, trying out a few things, tweaking bits like stock length and a few other things. I'm, at heart, an AK girl, but AK stuff isn't super popular here locally, so it's harder to find mags and ammo. Buying in bulk online can be expensive if I'm not buying in bulk, and even then it's not cheap by any means. I talked to a couple of friends who let me mess with what they have and put together what I'm after based on research with a bit of experience.

That being said, I ordered one of the BCM mid-length uppers with a bolt-carrier group and charging handle, as well as a pair of A2-style handguards. I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for a deal on a lower and for it, and then I'll get out to the range and see how it does.

Solid choice. Still hard to beat a BCM complete lower, though. Especially the blem lowers.

clarkz71
02-14-16, 05:33
Colt 6720 $799

Carbine vs mid is a non issue for first time buyer.

http://www.gandrtactical.com/PDGImages/6720_Current2.jpg

mack7.62
02-14-16, 07:09
BCM upper has already been purchased and who has the lower priced Colts in stock today?

clarkz71
02-14-16, 07:14
BCM upper has already been purchased and who has the lower priced Colts in stock today?

Grant has a good supply, when he's out it not long before they're back in stock.

m44patriot
02-14-16, 10:46
I will probably go with a BCM lower. I'm very tempted to get a lower parts kit, receiver, and stock and put the lower together myself. I would've bought the BCM lower that was linked in the first reply but ended up not having the cash to get both a complete upper with bolt-carrier group and everything *with* a lower, so decided to hold off for a few. I will definitely post pictures when the rifle is complete and first day at the range.

MeanCarbine
02-14-16, 11:16
Ruger AR-556. BCM vs Colt vs Ruger is a non issue for first time buyer.

7.62NATO
02-14-16, 11:57
Every time a BCM upper is mated to a non-BCM lower, a kitten is killed. Never forget that!

TacMedic556
02-14-16, 12:22

Boba Fett was being 123% sarcastic. No one on this forum in sound mind would recommend that list.

m44patriot
02-14-16, 13:22
Every time a BCM upper is mated to a non-BCM lower, a kitten is killed. Never forget that!

Guess I'm a potential kitten-killer then. I'll survive. Cats are tasty.

BrigandTwoFour
02-14-16, 14:09

I'm a dog person, anyway.

Colt 6720 $799

Carbine vs mid is a non issue for first time buyer.

http://www.gandrtactical.com/PDGImages/6720_Current2.jpg

OP, I see no reason not to go this route. I know midlength is one of your starting requirements, but you will not do better than this for the price range you are looking. If you were closer to the $1000 mark, then some of the other suggestions would be more suited to you. But, since this is your first AR, go with this proven setup and incorporate your specific desires at a later date. Midlength is cool, and my general preference on a 16" AR, but if a $799 Colt was on the table when I started out, hindsight tells me that it was the way I should have gone.

m44patriot
02-14-16, 16:09
Already ordered the mid-length BCM upper.

7.62NATO
02-14-16, 16:13

Good choice. Now, think of the kittens.

http://simonlovell.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/save-kitten.jpg

BrigandTwoFour
02-14-16, 16:49

Alrighty, then I say pinch them pennies and get a complete blem BCM lower. Unless you already have all the tools required to correctly assemble the lower, it's going to cost you more money than you think. The tools are a hidden cost you might not have thought of.

m44patriot
02-14-16, 21:40
I don't currently have the tools, but need to get them anyways. I am pretty stoked to get the lower, though. Probably going to shoot for getting it in March.

EO3
02-14-16, 22:49
I don't currently have the tools, but need to get them anyways. I am pretty stoked to get the lower, though. Probably going to shoot for getting it in March.

Great choice with the BCM upper. You won't be disappointed. I think you will find yourself very happy if you choose a BCM lower as well. Does seem a bit taboo not to mate it with one... ;)

m44patriot
02-15-16, 15:41
To save some money, I am probably going to assemble the lower myself.

Tigereye
02-23-16, 06:51
Go to the Sionics Weapons System thread and buy the lower that IG recently posted.