PDA

View Full Version : Holster ride height question

vpetrell
02-12-16, 17:01
Question and it may be a dumb one.

I'm looking at getting an OWB holster for my glock 19 for range time and have been looking at Blackhawk and blade tech as options.

As of now, I only have IWB for carrying

My question is what is an ideal ride height on the hip? I like the idea of a drop leg, as the grip is at a more natural length for my arms, but won't go drop leg because of the movement on the leg.

Is there a holster that sits a bit low on the hip that is out there? I like the Blackhawk Serpa and the blade tech eclipse.

If there are any yoy would recommend let me know! Or if you have any answers to my question that'd be great too

VP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leaveammoforme
02-12-16, 17:15
Bladetech hands down. You will probably want to look at the Tek-lok compatible holsters if you don't know exactly how you want to carry. You can change angle and height without buying multiple adapters.

If my reading comprehension didn't fail me,
this (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1387349595/blade-tech-doh-dropped-and-offset-belt-holster-glock-19-23-32-tek-lok-kydex-black) may be what you're looking for.

Serpa + Glock is asking for trouble.

ETA- Well really,, Serpa + anything is asking for trouble

SPM14430
02-12-16, 17:39
I don't think there's an ideal ride height, its more of a personal preference.

I can highly recommend the Safariland ALS 6378, comes with both paddle and belt attachment.

I carry a Glock 19 daily with the paddle and its comfortable all day.

For more concealment I recommend the Raven Phantom

and yes, stay away from Serpa anything

vpetrell
02-12-16, 17:43
Bladetech hands down. You will probably want to look at the Tek-lok compatible holsters if you don't know exactly how you want to carry. You can change angle and height without buying multiple adapters.

If my reading comprehension didn't fail me,
this (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1387349595/blade-tech-doh-dropped-and-offset-belt-holster-glock-19-23-32-tek-lok-kydex-black) may be what you're looking for.

Serpa + Glock is asking for trouble.

ETA- Well really,, Serpa + anything is asking for trouble

And this is pretty much what I am asking for. I'll see what else is comparable to that from safari land now and see what will suite me the best.

Thanks for the words on staying away from Serpa

VP

vpetrell
02-12-16, 17:44
Looking now, Safari land may be out since they do not offer inforce comparable holsters. At least that I saw on the sight

MStarmer
02-12-16, 18:03
Look for anything with a drop and offset if you want to lower it. Thigh rigs aren't practical for most applications. If you are looking for something compatible with a specific light look at Comp-Tac, Blade-Tech, Raven, Bravo Concealment etc...

What brand of IWB are you using? You could also try some custom makers like CNC holsters or JM Kydex, I know JM offers a couple of ride heights.

Cmm46
02-12-16, 18:36
T.Tex Arms and JM Custom have low ride kydex holsters. Thats what I use. Wont sit low like a thigh holster but definitely lower than most kydex concealment holsters. The Safariland ALS holsters are great but if you use the paddle it has a cant. If you use the belt mount it sits a little lower and you can get it more straight up and down. Its kind of bulky though.

okie john
02-12-16, 19:08
I'm looking at getting an OWB holster for my glock 19 for range time and have been looking at Blackhawk and blade tech as options.

It depends on what you do during your range time. For plinking and goofing around in the woods, get whatever you want. If you’re doing other things, then match the holster to that.

For instance, I use an OWB holster for classes, hunting, and matches, or only 15-20% of the shooting that I do in a year. The rest is either concealed carry or training for concealed carry problems, for which I use an IWB holster. Re-holstering is the most dangerous part of using a holster, so I want those movements to be as close to the same with both holsters as I can get them. For that reason, my OWB rig rides high and very close to my torso, just like my IWB rigs.

Low-riding rigs make sense if you’re wearing plates or a heavy jacket, or carrying a pack heavy enough to require a waist belt. Unfortunately, I find that they tend to put your pistol where it will bang into a lot of stuff, especially if you don’t wear them very often.

My first choice for an OWB rig would be Raven, Fricke, JMCK, or one of the other top-flight makers. If you’re patient, you can find them used for 50-60% of retail on forums like this one. Second choice would Safariland. BladeTech gear is solid for what it is, but avoid Serpa holsters like you’d avoid a dose of the clap.

Okie John

teutonicpolymer
02-12-16, 19:11
Safariland ALS unless you want the extra draw speed

HardToHandle
02-12-16, 20:07
Safariland ALS unless you want the extra draw speed

I tried several Level 1 kydex options, all of which were fine but did not click with me. OWB is overt for me, as I make so many folks that are not IWB.

The ALS concealment rigs are a bit higher profile than a Raven, but offer better grip presentation and a retention device at the cost of tenth on a inch in addl offset. ALS is stupid fast, secure, safe reholster and gives a resounding click when secure. I now have a swapable ALS that goes on my war belts and can slip onto a paddle using the QLS system. I am impressed.

screwedby
02-13-16, 15:15
Your approach edge should be 2.1 inches from your point A if your point B to point C is greater than 4 inches. This is only valid if your holster is carried at less than 90 degrees and must be re-computed when 90 degrees is exceeded.

Or whatever feels best for your build, your style, your belt, and your gun.

Most quality Kydex holsters have some adjustibility built in.

Do what most of us do...buy a trunk full of holsters then use the one that fits best.

I have a couple from Aliengear that have inches of adjustability and were priced very reasonable.

screwedbygoogle
original username modified by google

Magsz
02-13-16, 19:55
The blackhawk sportster holsters with no active retention are absolutely awesome and can be had for under twenty dollars. They're hard to beat for a simple, OWB range holster.

MStarmer
02-14-16, 10:12
The blackhawk sportster holsters with no active retention are absolutely awesome and can be had for under twenty dollars. They're hard to beat for a simple, OWB range holster.

I concur, I really do like the ride of the Serpa/Sportster, the adjustability etc.. Personally I have no real problem with the release system of the Serpa but it does have some weaknesses. Eliminate the release and like you said it's as solid as any other holster out there.

RWH24
02-15-16, 16:14
I have had Blade Tech and G-Code holsters. The G-Code is still around. I have the Safariland 6378 for my Sig 226.

Check out G-Code holsters. Several options including attachments of holster to body.

http://www.tacticalholsters.com/mm5/merchant.mvc