PDA

View Full Version : Redi-Mag: still viable?

masakari
02-12-16, 19:44
Looking for a way to carry extra ammo on the rifle while on duty, because sometimes I can only grab the rifle and no gear. My two options look to be a Redi-Mag or just getting a Magpul D60.
Is the Redi-Mag still tactically viable? Are there any other lighter, more modern options?
My issue with the Magpul D60 is that it's slightly bulkier and I think heavier than two 30 round magazines. It's also still just one magazine; if something goes wrong, I still only have the one magazine to work with.
Let me know what you guys think.

Stickman
02-12-16, 19:50
It is as viable now, as it was when it came out.

Cincinnatus
02-12-16, 19:50
It's still viable if you are wiling to have a little extra weight.

Stickman
02-12-16, 19:58
http://41.media.tumblr.com/094a81599b0665f5dd02bf9107ac7abc/tumblr_nuc4wlDgv71rrcg2fo1_1280.jpg

Kain
02-12-16, 20:03
It's still viable if you are wiling to have a little extra weight.

Pretty much my thoughts. I am pretty sure that there is now an aluminum version that is pretty much the weight of the old Redi mod, or at least there was last time I had nosed around looking at them some months ago. The only other options for carrying ammo on the rifle are going to be buttstock pouches, which generally leave something to be desired, as well those and the jungle mag type set ups, which, again have their own issues. Only thing I can think of in my caveats would be to train with it so you are comfortable with the change in the manual of arms, since if I remember right things can be a little different, with the bolt release being a bit different, though it has been literally years since I messed with one, and that was on a friend's rifle who was running a BAD lever and I was still running them as well.

cd228
02-13-16, 05:32
Blue Force gear used to do a lighter version of the redi-mag called the Redi Mod IIRC. The viability really depends on your requirement, TTPS and training. Magpul also has a PMAG coupler available that might be an option but I don't have any operational experience with it. I've got no experience with the D-60 either. I knew some 10th MTN guys that used the redi mags in Iraq and they seemed to like them. Just watch which version you get, I don't recommend the one that drops both mags when you hit the mag release.

Bodhisattva05X
02-13-16, 08:24
I was trying to figure it out last night, but what version drops both of the mags. I did notice that they have come down in price. Or just that I'm making a hell of a lot more money and I can afford things more readily.

cd228
02-13-16, 08:48
I was trying to figure it out last night, but what version drops both of the mags. I did notice that they have come down in price. Or just that I'm making a hell of a lot more money and I can afford things more readily.

I think the MK0 was the one that released both, and the MK1 had a release for the second mag. It looks like boone packer now make a polymer model MK1

Quiet-Matt
02-13-16, 09:02
What about the maglink and 2 pmags? I keep that setup in the safe for the times I want extra ammo on the gun.

masakari
02-13-16, 15:06
What about the maglink and 2 pmags? I keep that setup in the safe for the times I want extra ammo on the gun.

My original plan was to actually couple a 20 rounder to a 30 rounder. But I use Lancer mags, and the Lancer coupler that I tried didn't work right. I don't want to couple two 30s because of the extra length of the staggered magazine. Additionally, coupled magazines tend to make the exposed rounds walk under recoil.
The redi-mod with a 20 rounder in it might be the solution. That would still give me full access to manipulate the 30 round magazine in the rifle. 50 rounds is enough for me, so I think that's what I'll do.
I'm just surprised that no one has made a different/updated redi-mag style carrier yet.

docsherm
02-13-16, 15:23
I have 5 and they are great. I have used them for about 12 years now.

I don't think that BFG makes the Redi Mod and more. You can still get the original.

http://www.redi-mag.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=9

Bodhisattva05X
02-13-16, 17:09
I remember back in the day a guy cut his up to be just like a redi mod. If you search images and your slightly handy with a deemed you can make your own redi mod

Cincinnatus
02-13-16, 17:10
I remember back in the day a guy cut his up to be just like a redi mod. If you search images and your slightly handy with a deemed you can make your own redi mod

It is an easy mod to make, just be sure you have something decent to coat it with when done for rust prevention--good paint, etc.

Jmacken37
02-13-16, 21:32
I've been on the redi-mag kick for a while, too. I think they are ideal for a grab and go patrol rifle setup. I did the redi-mod cuts on an older steel redi-mag and it took FOREVER with a dremel. I much prefer the newer aluminum ones.

I've tried the magpul BAD lever and while I like a lot of magpul stuff, I've found the phase 5 tactical BAD type lever a nicer version.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/paintedrifleL1.jpg

titsonritz
02-13-16, 23:45
I have one of the newer aluminum ones I took off to accommodate other controls, I've been debating whether to hang on to it for down the road or putting it up for sale. I had it on my house carbine, I like the idea of grabbing my rifle and having a spare mag on tap without grabbing a rig too.

zackmars
02-14-16, 05:49
I gave mine to a friend. i didn't like how it obstructed the bolt catch.

At least with coupled mags, once you switch to the second mag you have access to the controls, and don't have a useless bauble on the side of your rifle

Quiet-Matt
02-14-16, 10:24
I don't want to couple two 30s because of the extra length of the staggered magazine. Additionally, coupled magazines tend to make the exposed rounds walk under recoil.

Carrying the extra mag on the port side adds no extra length as the mags are staggared to clear the ejection port. I keep the dust cover on the extra mag to prevent rounds from walking or inadvertently popping out. All it takes is a flick of the thumb to jettison the cover.

Just pointing this out to give you another option that would leave your weapon without the affixed extra width and weight.

-Matt

devildogljb
02-14-16, 21:27

I remember those pics which is why i did mine. If i remember the pics he kind of rushed the job if your going to do it yourself plan it out and take your time. As for me ive been using one since 2011 or 12. The weight was never a big deal for me. I also run a bad lever.
http://i989.photobucket.com/albums/af14/devildogljb/7D6BD366-5994-48F2-9730-F2641D0E8E80.jpg (http://s989.photobucket.com/user/devildogljb/media/7D6BD366-5994-48F2-9730-F2641D0E8E80.jpg.html)

GSMullins
02-15-16, 20:17
While I've no personal experience with them, the ETS mags look like a product that might work in lieu of Redi-Mag, without the extra complication of the device itself.;)

http://www.etsgroup.us/product-p/ar15-30c.htm

Straight Shooter
02-15-16, 21:29
Im using and liking the snap together ETS mags A LOT. Got em in the gun now.

Iraqgunz
02-16-16, 01:35
When I was with TC in Iraq, most of our carbines had Redi-Mags or had them available for issue. The biggest issue I saw was that they needed to be installed 100% correct with the rubber inserts underneath. If you didn't do that they wouldn't fit correctly. I am sure that the older versions has compatibility issues with ambi-magazine releases, no idea about current models.

If you absolutely need the additional magazine it's probably the better option.

KalashniKEV
02-16-16, 10:18
Additionally, coupled magazines tend to make the exposed rounds walk under recoil.

I have not experienced this... and my coupled mags were USGI.

PMAGs have more spring rate.

I thought the Redi-Mag was a clunky solution to a problem that had already been solved by couplers.

Eventually, I ended up just leaving my coupled mags in my ammo can for mounted patrols.

SPQR476
02-16-16, 11:29
Stagger two 30rd M3s with a maglink, and leave the dust cover on the one that's not in the rifle. Nothing gets in the spare mag, keeps the top round in place.

When you need to swap, you simply eject, sweep the back tab of the dust cover on the magwell to pop it off, reinsert, and go. As fast as a redimag, no changes to gun.

The staggered mags are only longer after the swap, since the left one will be higher.

You can put them at the same height, but it will interfere with the dust cover. If the dust cover is open at the switch, it will just have to stay open. If closed, it may get in the way. Not optimal, but you can try it.

Or D-60. :-)

Jmacken37
02-16-16, 14:31
FYI: I had email communication with Boonie Packer (maker of the RediMag) and they indicated that they are currently working on getting a new manufacturer for their aluminum RediMags. They are not currently available, though they will be available again at a future time.

quackhead
02-17-16, 03:11
I never could get into the redi mag . I also ran mag couplers, but also dropped them for standard single mags - didn't care for the extra bulk on either I think the new magpul drum will be a viable option for those who need more then 1 mag in the gun

masakari
02-17-16, 13:41
Thanks for the suggestions and info guys. I just bought an aluminum Redi-Mag (Boonie Packet still has ONE more left while they wait for a new supplier) and Brownell's extended bolt release. I'll see how these work for me and go from there.