PDA

View Full Version : AR-15 workhorse build for max $1000

IronMaiden
02-12-16, 23:31
Nevermind

ace4059
02-13-16, 00:41
Have you seen the Colt OEM rifles. I wouldn't call it a build, but you can customize it for your wants and needs.
$720ish for Colt OEM
$200 for handguard. BCM KMR-A comes to mind.
$50 or less for buttstock
$20 for pistol grip

Under a grand and just what you want. Standard AR-15 weight which with the KMR rail it will lighten up the muzzle end and make it balance well.

IronMaiden
02-13-16, 00:58
Have you seen the Colt OEM rifles. I wouldn't call it a build, but you can customize it for your wants and needs.
$720ish for Colt OEM
$20 for pistol grip

Under a grand and just what you want. Standard AR-15 weight which with the KMR rail it will lighten up the muzzle end and make it balance well.

Thanks for the suggestion but the entire build process is actually what I'm looking forward too.

A little background on my end: I was getting tired of the shooting sport and was about to give up on the hobby. Shooting on paper targets isn’t exactly exciting for me, at least not all the time. I do not hunt so that doesn’t help. In order to stay motivated I started reloading some years ago but got bored again recently. So for now my big motivation is to build several AR style firearms. This is completely new to me and I’m excited. I love researching the parts, finding good deals online, waiting for UPS and FedEx almost every day and putting something new together.

While I’m a pretty good shot I’m more so an engineer. Which explains why my other, first build is not a run of the mill project. I’m actually trying to build somewhat unique ARs right from the batch. Hope that makes sense.

Noodles
02-13-16, 01:20
So while going this new purchasing direction to extended your interest in your collecting hobby, have you considered formal training from a reputable instructor?

Because tools are not skills, and IMO skills are always interesting. Just fwiw...

EDIT: Ace is on point with the colt.

Fluffy Bunny
02-13-16, 02:54
I've got an honest question; no trolling or drama. What kind of rifle is a range workhorse? I have no idea what you mean by that.

TheChunkNorris
02-13-16, 08:12
You can piece together a BCM for about that.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Complete-Lower-Receiver-Group-BCMGUNFIGHTER-p/bcm-lrg-stk-mod-0-mail.htm

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-BFH-16-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-light-weight-p/bcm-urg-mid-16lw%20bfh.htm

585.00 with both and charging handle(mid length)

https://www.magpul.com/products/moe-sl-hand-guard-mid-length

MOE SL Mid length hand guard : 40.00

Grand total of 1020.00

3 AE
02-13-16, 08:57

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Complete-Lower-Receiver-Group-BCMGUNFIGHTER-p/bcm-lrg-stk-mod-0-mail.htm

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-BFH-16-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-light-weight-p/bcm-urg-mid-16lw%20bfh.htm

Grand total of 1020.00

Me thinks the OP prefers to build this AR from the "ground up". Though if I had around $1000.00 to spend on a "workhorse" AND wanted a mid length gas system, built by one of the most respected AR manufacturers around. It would be what you suggested in your post "Chuck" plus adding a rear sight.

Linebacker
02-13-16, 09:04
Noveske Gen 1, Chainsaw lowers at $175 looks attractive...

http://www.noveske.com/collections/parts

PrivateCitizen
02-13-16, 09:25
Nothing says you can't disassemble and reassemble something.

Buying something with good quality parts and examining it to increase familiarity and methodically disassembling is about the best education on the platform you can expect going solo

It might be worth noting that if you're planning on building this you will need a certain set of tools wish I could run you as much as $200 alone

Unless you're absolutely married to the mid length concept the Colt OEM is a value nearly unmatched in the market.

You might also want to note that lower parts kits of decent quality are hard to come by right now. Most manufacturers seem to be reserving those parts for their complete builds

C4IGrant
02-13-16, 09:39
So while going this new purchasing direction to extended your interest in your collecting hobby, have you considered formal training from a reputable instructor?

Because tools are not skills, and IMO skills are always interesting. Just fwiw...

EDIT: Ace is on point with the colt.

Bingo.

C4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

_Stormin_
02-13-16, 10:00
If you're trying to build on a budget there are a ton of in-spec lowers that aren't at Noveske prices.

Upper:
BCM Demo Upper - $90 (seen many of them, and if you're building a workhorse the "scratches" will be a non-issue)
BCM FA and Ejection Port Covers - $26
BCM KMR Alpha 13 - $190
Daniel Defense 16" barrel - $250
Adams Low Pro Gas block/roll pin/gas tube - $40
BCM BCG: $170

Lower:
Seeking Forged Lower - $90
BCM Lower Parts Kit - $100
VLTOR A5 RE Kit - $95
Stock of your choice - $50

I hit $1101 on that build and while you could trim money on some things, I wouldn't.

IronMaiden
02-13-16, 10:01

Grand total of 1020.00

I bet that’s a nice and reliable setup but way to easy to put together. I tried to find a stripped BCM lower but it looks like they don’t offer any. Was that always the case?

Me thinks the OP prefers to build this AR from the "ground up". Though if I had around $1000.00 to spend on a "workhorse" AND wanted a mid length gas system, built by one of the most respected AR manufacturers around. It would be what you suggested in your post "Chuck" plus adding a rear sight.

Exactly. Chances are I’ll get a BCM at some point but for now I’m really excited to build several ARs and tweak them at the range.

Noveske Gen 1, Chainsaw lowers at $175 looks attractive...

http://www.noveske.com/collections/parts

I haven't considered Noveske yet, that lower looks really good. Do you know the weight of the lower? Are they a good fit for uppers from other manufacturers? If not, the set is too expensive at $600 for this build.

Nothing says you can't disassemble and reassemble something.

Buying something with good quality parts and examining it to increase familiarity and methodically disassembling is about the best education on the platform you can expect going solo

It might be worth noting that if you're planning on building this you will need a certain set of tools wish I could run you as much as $200 alone

Unless you're absolutely married to the mid length concept the Colt OEM is a value nearly unmatched in the market.

You might also want to note that lower parts kits of decent quality are hard to come by right now. Most manufacturers seem to be reserving those parts for their complete builds

Let's talk about tools. Here is a list of items I still need:

- Vise holding tool
- Barrel nut tool
- Pin ball punch set

My BCM KMR rail came with a torque wrench adapter and a BCM barrel nut. Will this wrench adapter work for all barrel nuts like the V7?

What about this Reaction Rod?

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/444133/geissele-reaction-rod-ar-15-vise-block-steel

IronMaiden
02-13-16, 10:15
If you're trying to build on a budget there are a ton of in-spec lowers that aren't at Noveske prices.

Upper:
BCM Demo Upper - $90 (seen many of them, and if you're building a workhorse the "scratches" will be a non-issue)
BCM FA and Ejection Port Covers - $26
BCM KMR Alpha 13 - $190
Daniel Defense 16" barrel - $250
Adams Low Pro Gas block/roll pin/gas tube - $40
BCM BCG: $170

Lower:
Seeking Forged Lower - $90
BCM Lower Parts Kit - $100
VLTOR A5 RE Kit - $95
Stock of your choice - $50

I hit $1101 on that build and while you could trim money on some things, I wouldn't.

This looks interesting. I’ll look into the details later today.

Lincoln7
02-13-16, 10:34
I was going for a Mag Tactical Lightweight lower but it looks like they had issues with cracked lowers and are out of business. There are also a bunch of unhappy customers on their FaceBook page. Anybody know if they are going to come back?
Not sure why you'd even bring up "Mag Tactical" if:
-They had issues with cracked lowers
-They are out of business
-There are a bunch of unhappy customers

Who cares if they're coming back.

What is currently a good and somewhat lightweight lower in the $70 - $150 range? I’m not big on PSA.
The lower receiver is not really the place to look to lose weight on a "workhorse" AR15. Much bigger weight roles are held by the barrel length and profile, rail selection, buttstock, accessories, and optics.

Noodles
02-13-16, 11:11
Not sure why you'd even bring up "Mag Tactical" if:

It seems OP's 4lb AR thread is bleeding into this "workhorse" thread. He just has ultra lightweight on the mind maybe?

Iron, maybe you consider a polymer AR lower? Lots of people on the forums say they hold up just fine, would also satisfy your quest for lightweight. And I mean, Glocks are polymer and no one has issue with those. Maybe you could have lightweight and workhorse in the same package.

Edit: AND on second thought you can get an 80% and finish it out yourself since you're into the engineering.

IronMaiden
02-13-16, 11:28
Who cares if they're coming back.

If nobody cares why do you even answer? If you don't have anything productive to say, where does that leave you? Maybe Mag Tactical is coming back with a reworked version of the lower? I don't know, that's why I ask.

The lower receiver is not really the place to look to lose weight on a "workhorse" AR15. Much bigger weight roles are held by the barrel length and profile, rail selection, buttstock, accessories, and optics.

If I want to pick the lightest lower within my posted range of $70 - $150, that doesn’t exclude that I won't keep an eye on the other parts too.

I posted 3 simple questions:

1.) Anybody know if they are going to come back?

2.) What is currently a good and somewhat lightweight lower in the $70 - $150 range?

3.) What barrel provides good accuracy and fits into the budget?

You managed to answer not ONE of them. How about just answering my questions?!

IronMaiden
02-13-16, 11:29
There's a bunch of knowledgeable people on this forum and it's too bad that it gets run down by a handful of guys taking MY approach in this matter overly personal and posting stuff that doesn’t answer my questions or is utterly unrelated bullshit.

Very simple: if you don’t want to answer my specific questions, just stay out of my threads. You are wasting your time, once you post unrelated crap, I don’t care about your answers anymore. Simple as that.

Leaveammoforme
02-13-16, 11:55
It seems OP's 4lb AR thread is bleeding into this "workhorse" thread. He just has ultra lightweight on the mind maybe?

Iron, maybe you consider a polymer AR lower? Lots of people on the forums say they hold up just fine, would also satisfy your quest for lightweight. And I mean, Glocks are polymer and no one has issue with those. Maybe you could have lightweight and workhorse in the same package.

Edit: AND on second thought you can get an 80% and finish it out yourself since you're into the engineering.

Skip any polymer lower but I think Noodles had a good idea with the 80% lower.

It seems to be right up your alley of enjoying the planning/building aspect of these builds. It would get you more involved with the build versus building a Lego set.

I personally question the amount of money being spent on the "Ooh, aah" build and such a minimal budget for this one. When I think of a 'workhorse' I envision a 6920. A 6920 will be extremely difficult to duplicate for $1000 buying pieces separately.

Your builds, your time and your money. Whatever.

Noodles
02-13-16, 12:38
I defintiely think OP should build his 80%. And if OP does 80% polymer (there are some VERY light ones!) that can go into his LW build too. And if there is ever an issue he can just make another one. Plus he could have parts commonality.

Lincoln7
02-13-16, 14:20
I defintiely think OP should build his 80%. And if OP does 80% polymer (there are some VERY light ones!) that can go into his LW build too. And if there is ever an issue he can just make another one. Plus he could have parts commonality.
All very good points.

titsonritz
02-13-16, 14:39
$720ish for Colt OEM
$20 for pistol grip

Thanks for the suggestion but the entire build process is actually what I'm looking forward too.

So tear it apart (you'll learn something new) and put it back together, add some upgraded parts like a BAD-ASS selector, EPS or FCD ABC/R-F. Remove the barrel nut add what ever rail you will. This way you are starting with solid parts.

GH41
02-13-16, 15:53
The 80% idea is a good one. He could pick up a Bridgeport to finish it with.

Noodles
02-13-16, 20:25

Yea, good idea... or Okuma ;)

IronMaiden
02-14-16, 00:02
I'll post my 2 builds in a different location due to this nonsense and trolling going on in this thread. I'm too old for kindergarten replies just because I'm trying a different approach away from the beaten path. I'll PM everybody who showed true and serious interest in my build and leave it up to them if they want to follow and help out with proper advise based on my set of requirements, and not some unrelated bullshit I never asked for, to be seen in both of my build threads.

That’s one way to get rid of new user.. good job.

ace4059
02-14-16, 01:00
Once you complete your builds post them in the custom build forum. Sounds like they will be a one of a kind build. It may help future members with a light weight build.

Benito
02-14-16, 01:06
For a workhorse AR, polymer AR lowers are not nearly mature enough at this point.
Maybe one day, once the thickness is beefed up to match the strength of a typical aluminum lower.

I'd say wait for a sale and pick up a factory Colt or BCM rifle or upper and lower combo that you like.
Tons of good options among those.

The FNG
02-14-16, 01:58
If you are really concerned about weight in the lowers, all forged lowers should weigh the same, assuming they are spec'd the same (should be). Also, billet lowers would weigh more, ideally, to meet the same strength specification as a forged lower (this should go for all forged vs billet metals). I read you have an engineering background and have some idea of crystalline structures and what I'm referring to.

For a workhorse AR, any forged lower from a reputable company will do. Aero seems to be about the lowest you can go before you run into the "rolling the dice" realm of standards. I personally feel like anything over BCM will not get much more value for your money (although I would never steer you from a Noveske -$1000+).

Moral of the story is stick with a reputable company and buy parts you can afford.

Tools for a basic build are really not that much. Roll pin punches, roll pin starter punches, a small brass hammer, armorers wrench, a small and large flathead, and upper/lower vice blocks will get you there. You may want to invest in a barrel pinning/dimple jig. Otherwise, putting one together is really not rocket science.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wetidlerjr
02-14-16, 06:13
...You might also want to note that lower parts kits of decent quality are hard to come by right now. Most manufacturers seem to be reserving those parts for their complete buildsReally?

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=G&R Tactical (http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=BCM-ELPK-SEMI-BLK)

mack7.62
02-14-16, 06:17

Yea, good idea... or Okuma ;)

I like the way you guys think.

b2dap1
02-14-16, 06:36
Really?

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=G&R Tactical (http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=BCM-ELPK-SEMI-BLK)

You should have seen my eyes light up! It's sold out. Once you add it to cart it won't let you continue.

wetidlerjr
02-14-16, 07:09
You should have seen my eyes light up! It's sold out. Once you add it to cart it won't let you continue.
I didn't try that. Hope you recover. :smile:

jeremy_p
02-14-16, 07:22
Easy button, http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/receivers/lower-receivers/ac-15-oem-mid-length-16-rifle-ac-15-5-56mm-nato-oem-mid-length-16-rifle-sku100-018-335-81838-174289.aspx , then add a stock, handguards and sights to you liking.

noonesshowmonkey
02-14-16, 08:41
Easy button, http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/receivers/lower-receivers/ac-15-oem-mid-length-16-rifle-ac-15-5-56mm-nato-oem-mid-length-16-rifle-sku100-018-335-81838-174289.aspx , then add a stock, handguards and sights to you liking.

These and the Colt OEMs are really great products. For anyone starting a fresh build, or an enthusiast looking to turn out a non-standard rifle, these can really make for a nice build.

While I understand that the OP wants to satiate an engineer's mind with a project gun, the value on an OEM that is tooled up with whatever extras is hard to beat. Toss an ALG rail onto a low-pro gas blocked OEM, the stock du jour, some MBUS, and whatever other goodies you so desire, sling it up, and you have a helluva weapon for likely well under $1000.

Tequila45
02-14-16, 17:41
There's a bunch of knowledgeable people on this forum and it's too bad that it gets run down by a handful of guys taking MY approach in this matter overly personal and posting stuff that doesn’t answer my questions or is utterly unrelated bullshit.

Very simple: if you don’t want to answer my specific questions, just stay out of my threads. You are wasting your time, once you post unrelated crap, I don’t care about your answers anymore. Simple as that.
I think your questions were all answered on the first page of this thread. I'm not sure what exactly your looking for but nothing but solid suggestions were given. Maybe if you would break down your definition of what a "workhorses" AR is then maybe you'd get the answers you are looking for. What you will be shooting at, indoor, outdoor, is this weapon for classes from actual reputable instructors? I don't think you need a "workhorse" punching holes in paper.

PaLEOjd
02-14-16, 19:05
So you are looking for a "range gun" under $1,000. Many choices there, the Colt 6720 will fit your lighter weight requirement not let you down.

w3453l
02-15-16, 21:06
If nobody cares why do you even answer? If you don't have anything productive to say, where does that leave you? Maybe Mag Tactical is coming back with a reworked version of the lower? I don't know, that's why I ask.

If I want to pick the lightest lower within my posted range of $70 - $150, that doesn’t exclude that I won't keep an eye on the other parts too.

I posted 3 simple questions:

1.) Anybody know if they are going to come back?

2.) What is currently a good and somewhat lightweight lower in the $70 - $150 range?

3.) What barrel provides good accuracy and fits into the budget?

You managed to answer not ONE of them. How about just answering my questions?!

I don't think he meant anything in a negative way. Just my opinion, but from the way I read it, "work horse" implies something that can take a relative beating and still keep going. I'm not familiar with Mag Tactical, but if they had the issues mentioned above then I wouldn't look twice. There's too much quality brands for really not that much money out there. Stripped lowers are generally inexpensive, even Noveske can be had for $175 which really isn't a crazy amount of money and that's about as pricey as forged lowers will get (with some exceptions).

Also, stripped forged lowers really aren't that heavy to begin with. I know you're looking for lightweight, but I think the whole trimming weight from forged lowers is a borderline joke/gimmick. In all seriousness how much weight can you really trim from a forged lower? I think you get into the realm of trading a considerable amount of reliability/durability for very marginal savings in weight.

What I would do is get an Aero stripped lower, a good LPK (I haven't tried Sionics LPK's yet, but I've heard good things and will be getting some. They also can be had for under $100). Then get a lightweight profile barrel with lightweight furniture and rails. There's so many to choose from in all price ranges. I know this wasn't exactly the most detailed advice, but the point I wanted to make is that for a "work horse" I would cut weight at the barrel + furniture, and stick with well-proven parts where it matters most (BCG, LPK, lower receiver).