PDA

View Full Version : Whos using a Redi-mag?

beau1911
08-16-08, 03:08
Im considering trying one out, just looking for some feedback from other shooters. Love um? hate um?

Thanks in advance

Warrior
08-16-08, 03:42
i love it except for the added weight. YMMV

wichaka
08-16-08, 05:07
For short deployments, they are good.............there's always a plus to having the mag right there. But for packing the rifle all day long, it's a bit of weight on the shoulders.

I took mine off, and haven't regretted it.

Erick Gelhaus
08-16-08, 09:36
Have one on my work AR. For L/E patrol, I think they work fine - especially since I've got two mags if I don't have the opportunity to don the plate carrier with more ammo.

I have only been using it for two months now, but so far, so good.

Erick

Adam
08-16-08, 12:49
I have one on my 10.5". The added weight is in a location that doesn't drastically affect the rifles balance.

PALADIN-hgwt
08-16-08, 12:51
xxxxx

rifleshooter
08-16-08, 13:57
I know they have there uses but I just can't see having all that weight hanging off the side on my AR. And that price $165 WoW!!! No not in my plans.:rolleyes:

Steve
08-16-08, 14:44
I have a Lw version. on my home gun when loaded with 20 round pmags its good to go, not as heavy as some my think. and it allows me to have ammo on board and pretty fast reloads too

rob_s
08-16-08, 14:58
The weight of the 7 oz Redimag itself (http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/rob_s/weights/IMG_2737Medium.jpg) isn't the issue so much as the 17+ oz loaded magazine (http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/rob_s/weights/DSC_2084Small.jpg).

rob_s
08-16-08, 15:01
I know they have there uses but I just can't see having all that weight hanging off the side on my AR. And that price $165 WoW!!! No not in my plans.:rolleyes:

Only the LW versions are that much. A basic original Redimag (-http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=24552&title=AR-15/M16%20REDI-MAG) can be had for under $100. If you qualify for the friends-n-family plan with Brownells the most basic model is under $75.

docsherm
08-16-08, 18:54
I have been using mine on my work gun for 5 years now and I will never take it off. If I don't want to hump the extra mag around, I just put one in it. I also have one on my M4 at home. Now i just need to save up and get the new lightweight one. :D

MisterWilson
08-16-08, 19:25
What are the advantages of a Redi-mag over a simple magazine clamp?

rob_s
08-16-08, 19:39
What are the advantages of a Redi-mag over a simple magazine clamp?

Quite a few, starting with the fact that mag clamps suck. I can't count the number of times I've seen guys have the top round jump out of the standby mag, of have the mags shift in the clamp such that they block the ejection port or cause other problems, or the clamp just fails and the standby mag goes in the dirt.

Plus, the Redimag will work with any magazines. They don't have to be clamped together or otherwise bound.

MisterWilson
08-16-08, 19:42
Are there any quality magazine clamps you would/could recommend?

Warrior
08-16-08, 20:09

Good old duct tape!!;)

Steve
08-16-08, 20:35
I have yet to see any mag clamp work well.

K.L. Davis
08-16-08, 21:24
I find the RediMag is one of those items that at first blush, seems like a "kinda cool" but otherwise questionable accessory... I have to admit, that had Dave not handed me one to try out, I may of never used one -- that was a long time ago, and I love the RediMag.

Do I have one on every gun... no? Nor would I, they have their place and in some applications just do not fit the bill; however, it is safe to say that if I grab one of the "works for nearly everything" go to carbines, there is a RediMag on it.

beau1911
08-18-08, 00:07
Thanks for all responses guys, im gonna give the LW one a try at a training course next month and see how I like it :D

SHIVAN
08-18-08, 08:48
I've yet to try one on a carbine I was lugging around all day...though it can't be heavier then a Short Dot and an M4-2000 I use on my primary gun.

David Pennington and Larry Vickers have this version on at least one of their training guns:

http://www.blueforcegear.com/product.cfm?type=cat&cat_id=1&prod_id=91

http://www.blueforcegear.com/prodImg/READYMAG%2002%20-%20800.jpg

rob_s
08-18-08, 08:50
I wish that BFG would do that lightweight mod on one of the old versions that drop both mags at once.

markm
08-18-08, 09:07

Not yet. The problem is this.... If you have a mag clamp that really holds the mags solid, more of the recoil is transferred to the spare mag, and the top round slides forward that much faster. I've tried loading the number 2 mag completely full with 30 rounds, and shooting a 20 inch HBAR to see if the top round would stay put.... IT WON'T! :)

Of course if you have a mag clamp that has play.... that's obviously not good either.

I use the Mag Grip on my home defense gun. But I'm aware of the limitations of it, and accept those limitations. It is the most solid mag grip device available. Having another mag available, even if I have to flick off the top round or push it back in the mag is better than having an empty gun.

Nimslow
08-18-08, 09:30
I recently picked up one of the Blue Force Gear light weight models, for my SBR. It seems like a very well made piece of gear.

It does change the feel of the gun slightly, but it's not bad. It also will change the way you manipulate the rifle during re-loads, but training will take care of that.

I'm going to leave it on for awhile, and see how it works out.

The only thing problem I see for me, is that I shoot this rifle in some local tactical carbine matches, and it may be a handicap for that. Several of the matches require that you retain the magazine after a reload, if it has any rounds remaining in it. The mag clamp guys just slide over to the fresh mag, and the clamp "retains" the expended mag. With the redi-mag, I'll have to use my dump pouch, and that will cost time.

VA_Dinger
08-18-08, 18:54
I wish that BFG would do that lightweight mod on one of the old versions that drop both mags at once.

You wouldn't if you tried to do a weapons malfunction drill with the old version.

IMO: The BFG version is a serious improvement. My mag changes are actually faster & more consistent with the BFG version.

rob_s
08-18-08, 19:09
You wouldn't if you tried to do a weapons malfunction drill with the old version.

IMO: The BFG version is a serious improvement. My mag changes are actually faster & more consistent with the BFG version.
Travis Haley seems to have figured out workarounds.

SIMPLYDYNAMIC
08-19-08, 04:48
I took my Gen I and put it on the CNC Mill and lightened it. I guess you could get a dremal and about 100 cutting discs too...:eek:

As for the double feed I dont look into it too much...its actually very simple:

-ID
-Lock
-Press mag release and pull/strip both mags out, once the bad mag clears let it continue to the ground...
-Hold on to the good one and:
-Rack, Rack, Rack
-Gas it up
-Go

There are a bounch of demos with that in the DVD coming out soon.

Derek_Connor
08-19-08, 14:49
There are a bounch of demos with that in the DVD coming out soon.

Too bad the DVD couldn't show the "tongue" example we were taught......:p

SIMPLYDYNAMIC
08-19-08, 19:34
Too bad the DVD couldn't show the "tongue" example we were taught......:p

Oh shit thats right! the double feed reaction hand tongue method! (you have to see it to believe it!)
I am post those pics as soon as I find them! LOL:D

VA_Dinger
08-19-08, 19:35
Seems like a lot of trouble to me, with no gain. Is the only point to avoid buying the BFG version? If so, you lost me.

Tap-Rack-Bang is easy enough with the old models. A PIA for sure with a loaded magazine in your hand but manageable with practice. Now try it when you actually need your support hand to do more than just rack a charging handle or hit the bolt release to clear the malfunction. This is hard to do with a mag in your hand. You either dump a perfectly good and topped off magazine or take the time to stow it so you have a free hand again.

Again, thats why I prefer the new-improved BFG/VT version. It goes along way in solving this problem the easy way. All while being lighter, better finished, and giving up nothing in reload speed. But to each his own.

rob_s
08-19-08, 19:44
With the BAD, you don't need to hit the bolt release with your left hand. ;)

VA_Dinger
08-19-08, 19:51
With the BAD, you don't need to hit the bolt release with your left hand. ;)

With the BFG version it's not a problem in the least. Plus I have less bolt on accessories to potentially break.

Simple is usually better.

I would like to try out a "BAD" for myself though. Are they for sale? Is it going to be a Magpul product?

Robb Jensen
08-19-08, 21:18
I have a BFG 25% lighter Redi-Mag on my 12.5" SBR and was supposed to get a BAD to T&E but I haven't thus far. Being a competitor I know 'efficiency of motion' and all that jazz is FAST! Actually VERY FAST!
Smooth is Fast, and they also say (I don't know as I'm not a gunfighter) Fast is Deadly. Using a timer I've timed my reloads, 1 shot-reload-1 shot my best is 1.39 seconds (BUT not at bolt lock). From bolt lock I've got it down to 1.57 seconds. As I said I'm a competitor ANYONE who shoots (not-IDPA) knows it's dumb to shoot your gun dry and then reload. I could probably get my reloads even faster....surely if that was my primary job. Honestly I don't practice non-bolt lock rifles reloads nearly enough (I practice it, maybe just maybe 10-15 min a month).

One side of my brain thinks:
Sure a reload at the gun is the fastest since it's already there, the problem I'm finding is I hate the term 'muscle memory' because I think it's a misnomer, meaning when my AR runs dry my training normally says to hit the mag catch while reaching for another mag (both hands moving at the same time). So if my subconscious mind will following my training and I'll likely come up with a mag in my support hand (from my belt or chest rig) and and then figure out 'oh shit' I still have a fresh mag on the Redi-Mag so I tell myself "Hey dumbass you have a fresh mag on the Redi-Mag.....DOH!!!" and that you would be best to drop the one in my hand and use the one that's in the Redi-Mag to recharge the gun.

The other side of my brain thinks:
The other side of myself is incorrect and you'll figure it out by looking at the gun just before you hit the mag catch and realize that you don't have to grab a mag out of your chest rig, belt etc. My reasoning behind this theory is I'm not only a handgun competitor I'm also a 3gunner (my favorite of it all). Reloading a shotgun involves (for me) getting shotgun shells from 3 different places. My first reload comes off the www.3gungear.com side saddle. 2nd and 3rd reload comes off my support arm (Mark Otto armband) and my 4th reload if the stage is that big comes off my belt (strong side from a California Comp Works 6 shot caddy). I don't have problems transitioning from one area so there may not really be a problem. BUT reloading the shotgun is also different since sometimes I'm grabbing only 1 shotgun shell at a time, sometimes 3 shells at a time which is unlike a rifle/pistol where it's 1 mag.....

My conclusion not having test the MAD/Redi-Mag combo is that you really shouldn't change too much from your training. If you choose to use the MAD/Redi-Mag combo you would be very wise to convert all your guns to it as to not F'yourself up while switching between your guns. It's kinda like switching your M&P/SIG/Berettas mag catch to the left handed side (for trigger finger acutation) but then carrying a Glock. Bad Ju-Ju, Mr. Murphy will be your best friend.

I'm a very open minded Zen type guy always looking for a better faster 'more efficient way to do anything', USPSA is a thinking mans sport despite those that don't understand it say about it. I'll be happy to test the MAD when I can get my hands on one. Until that day the Redi-Mag will come off my SBR as it screws up my balance right now.

El Mac
08-19-08, 22:19
This may be a dumb question, but what is the BAD version?

SIMPLYDYNAMIC
08-20-08, 02:23
With the BFG version it's not a problem in the least. Plus I have less bolt on accessories to potentially break.

Simple is usually better.

I would like to try out a "BAD" for myself though. Are they for sale? Is it going to be a Magpul product?

First off if it breaks (which I havent yet) then so what... guess what your left with? standard controls...

BUT you are absolutly right on the BFG version,... It is definitly the way to go IF you do not have a BAD due to the fact of your reaction hand having more to do.

But the perfect combo for speed and efficiency is the gen I with the BAD.

And Im not sure I understand your simplicity comment? the BAD makes it 10 times more simple to operate an AR platform... it illiminates steps in the manual of arms to reload and problem solve... isnt that what we really want in a weapon system?... I think thats why the Massada was born...lol

As for production we have nothing yet. Its on the long list, just getting feelers for now. I will update as there is progress. and it would be a Magpul Dynamics product.

El Mac
08-20-08, 08:16
WHAT is a BAD????

rmecapn
08-20-08, 10:00
WHAT is a BAD????

This is a BAD (and I want one Magpul, please produce them!):
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/rob_s/gun%20stuff/BIB-SDIBFG.jpg

Verbal Kint
08-20-08, 10:48
This is a BAD (and I want one Magpul, please produce them!)

+1

I'd order two right now, if they were available. There seems to be a lot of interest in these, based on the past threads pertaining to them.

Derek_Connor
08-20-08, 20:13
Oh shit thats right! the double feed reaction hand tongue method! (you have to see it to believe it!)
I am post those pics as soon as I find them! LOL:D

I believe the long haired hippy has those pics!

Definitely a must post.

SIMPLYDYNAMIC
08-21-08, 02:34
I believe the long haired hippy has those pics!

Definitely a must post.

AH HA Thats right... on it!

Hootiewho
08-21-08, 06:47
I have a BFG 25% lighter Redi-Mag on my 12.5" SBR and was supposed to get a BAD to T&E but I haven't thus far. Being a competitor I know 'efficiency of motion' and all that jazz is FAST! Actually VERY FAST!
Smooth is Fast, and they also say (I don't know as I'm not a gunfighter) Fast is Deadly. Using a timer I've timed my reloads, 1 shot-reload-1 shot my best is 1.39 seconds (BUT not at bolt lock). From bolt lock I've got it down to 1.57 seconds. As I said I'm a competitor ANYONE who shoots (not-IDPA) knows it's dumb to shoot your gun dry and then reload. I could probably get my reloads even faster....surely if that was my primary job. Honestly I don't practice non-bolt lock rifles reloads nearly enough (I practice it, maybe just maybe 10-15 min a month).

One side of my brain thinks:
Sure a reload at the gun is the fastest since it's already there, the problem I'm finding is I hate the term 'muscle memory' because I think it's a misnomer, meaning when my AR runs dry my training normally says to hit the mag catch while reaching for another mag (both hands moving at the same time). So if my subconscious mind will following my training and I'll likely come up with a mag in my support hand (from my belt or chest rig) and and then figure out 'oh shit' I still have a fresh mag on the Redi-Mag so I tell myself "Hey dumbass you have a fresh mag on the Redi-Mag.....DOH!!!" and that you would be best to drop the one in my hand and use the one that's in the Redi-Mag to recharge the gun.

The other side of my brain thinks:
The other side of myself is incorrect and you'll figure it out by looking at the gun just before you hit the mag catch and realize that you don't have to grab a mag out of your chest rig, belt etc. My reasoning behind this theory is I'm not only a handgun competitor I'm also a 3gunner (my favorite of it all). Reloading a shotgun involves (for me) getting shotgun shells from 3 different places. My first reload comes off the www.3gungear.com side saddle. 2nd and 3rd reload comes off my support arm (Mark Otto armband) and my 4th reload if the stage is that big comes off my belt (strong side from a California Comp Works 6 shot caddy). I don't have problems transitioning from one area so there may not really be a problem. BUT reloading the shotgun is also different since sometimes I'm grabbing only 1 shotgun shell at a time, sometimes 3 shells at a time which is unlike a rifle/pistol where it's 1 mag.....

My conclusion not having test the MAD/Redi-Mag combo is that you really shouldn't change too much from your training. If you choose to use the MAD/Redi-Mag combo you would be very wise to convert all your guns to it as to not F'yourself up while switching between your guns. It's kinda like switching your M&P/SIG/Berettas mag catch to the left handed side (for trigger finger acutation) but then carrying a Glock. Bad Ju-Ju, Mr. Murphy will be your best friend.

I'm a very open minded Zen type guy always looking for a better faster 'more efficient way to do anything', USPSA is a thinking mans sport despite those that don't understand it say about it. I'll be happy to test the MAD when I can get my hands on one. Until that day the Redi-Mag will come off my SBR as it screws up my balance right now.

As Pat Rogers says, "let your mission dictate your gear".

I figure that if I ever use my carbine "for real" it will be grabing it from the bedside in the middle of the night. Now if someone is gaining entry to my house, I know full and well that I will not have time to grab pretty much anything other than a firearm to stop the threat. My purpose for the Redi-mag was to have 2 full magazines on the carbine at all times so that in the event of the said above situation I would probably have just about any threat covered.

The way I use the Redi-mag most of the time in training is like what I would use a FB or speed reload type pouch. When I perform a reload from the Redi-mag, speed or tactical, I will jam another mag into the Redi-mag during a down time or lull the same way you would move a mag into a fast access pouch on the belt or vest from a covered and secured mag pouch. That way you keep 2 on the gun pretty much at all times.

On another note,
Wouldn't a Titanium Redi-mag be the cat's ass?

I know the Redi-mag is stamped, but I wonder if they could do one out of Ti.

Robb Jensen
08-21-08, 07:10
As Pat Rogers says, "let your mission dictate your gear".

I figure that if I ever use my carbine "for real" it will be grabing it from the bedside in the middle of the night. Now if someone is gaining entry to my house, I know full and well that I will not have time to grab pretty much anything other than a firearm to stop the threat. My purpose for the Redi-mag was to have 2 full magazines on the carbine at all times so that in the event of the said above situation I would probably have just about any threat covered.

The way I use the Redi-mag most of the time in training is like what I would use a FB or speed reload type pouch. When I perform a reload from the Redi-mag, speed or tactical, I will jam another mag into the Redi-mag during a down time or lull the same way you would move a mag into a fast access pouch on the belt or vest from a covered and secured mag pouch. That way you keep 2 on the gun pretty much at all times.

On another note,

Pat Rogers quote is clever, however it's doesn't get at the core of what I'm saying.

Have you shot your rifle at anything other than a square range or in training class?
I'm meaning something like force-on-force (like Simunitions) or something dynamic like USPSA/3-gun competition?

Things that you say or plan do and things you'll actually do are quite different when you're either being stressed simply by a timer or you're trying to avoid being shot by a SIMS round (which really hurts like a bitch). Pain is a wonderful teacher.

Yes a titanium, polymer or carbon fiber Redi-Mag would be good actually.

rob_s
08-21-08, 07:27
On another note,

It wouldn't matter. Cut this (http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/rob_s/weights/IMG_2737Medium.jpg) by 40% (the weight of titanium vs. steel) and it still weighs 4 oz. The real problem is the loaded magazine (http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/rob_s/weights/DSC_2084Small.jpg) that weighs over 17 oz.

Hootiewho
08-21-08, 08:06
Pat Rogers quote is clever, however it's doesn't get at the core of what I'm saying.

Have you shot your rifle at anything other than a square range or in training class?
I'm meaning something like force-on-force (like Simunitions) or something dynamic like USPSA/3-gun competition?

Things that you say or plan do and things you'll actually do are quite different when you're either being stressed simply by a timer or you're trying to avoid being shot by a SIMS round (which really hurts like a bitch). Pain is a wonderful teacher.

I wished there were somewhere around my area that did Sims training and I am not aware of any 3 gun shoots in my area either. Same goes for training, for most of the good classes you have to drive 1 or 2 states over. Most clubs in this area are not into the 3 gun, and as far as I know the closest 3 gun shoots are a 5 hour drive to the coast. I know what you are saying about performance under stress and the best I can do around my area is have my girlfriend shoot bottle rockets at me while I run drills against the timer.:mad:

Just Kidding

I have seriously thought about building a target that incorporates a remote controlled paint ball gun that someone else can control from behind the firing line to add stress and make the shooter move to seek cover. I know it is a somewhat silly idea, but it would be better than nothing I guess.

rmecapn
08-21-08, 10:16
My purpose for the Redi-mag was to have 2 full magazines on the carbine at all times so that in the event of the said above situation I would probably have just about any threat covered.

This was my thought, also, on why I would like a Redi-Mag. But I've been running it over and over in my mind for the last couple of years. If I "need" another magazine for home defense, then something is *terribly* wrong and I doubt the second mag is going to alleviate the situation. If 30 rounds didn't resolve the situation, I sincerely doubt another 30 is going to get it done.

I see many mil/LE/PSD types running Redi-Mags and I can see where that may be a nice idea for them. I'm no longer mil, however, so I don't really have their requirements applying to me.

And, at this time, I don't compete in 3-gun or other carbine/rifle matches.

And all that continues to make me debate whether a Redi-Mag is something I want to try. I do want the BAD, whether I have the RM or not. I like the idea of being able to release or engage the bolt catch with my trigger finger.

rob_s
08-21-08, 10:36
FWIW...

I put the RM (and consequently the BAD) on my "grab and go" hurricane evac. gun. My logic was that I'd prefer to have a spare magazine, and grabbing just the gun with the mag attached would be the best way to do it.

If I have time, which I have had every time I've been evac'd, I will stick said rifle in the blue Eagle discrete bag that I have, in which case there are 3 more magazines in there (although I typically hate having mags in the bag).

There's something to be said for a rifle that's intended for the worst possible circumstances to have spare ammunition attached, regardless of role (LE, mil, non-LE civvy, etc.).

But I tend to agree that if I need more than 28/30 rounds, I'm in deep doo-doo, and 28/30 more rounds isn't going to do much to bail me out. Similarly a malfunction a the distances I'm likely to encounter problems. Transition or die. :eek:

sff70
08-21-08, 11:16
I've owned a RM for about 10 yrs.

Due to bulk, weight, snag factor, etc. I do not like the RM on my work guns.

The last time I had the RM on a rifle was during the 2006 USPSA Multigun Nationals.

YMMV

El Mac
08-21-08, 16:28
This is a BAD (and I want one Magpul, please produce them!):
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/rob_s/gun%20stuff/BIB-SDIBFG.jpg

Sweet! Thanks for posting that pic! Love to have a few of those. If Magpull won't make it, I bet I know someone that will...

Derek_Connor
08-21-08, 18:41
Sweet! Thanks for posting that pic! Love to have a few of those. If Magpull won't make it, I bet I know someone that will...

Travis (Magpul Dynamics) has the patent on that....so anyone else who makes it would be putting themselves in the kill zone....

rob_s
08-21-08, 18:47
Travis (Magpul Dynamics) has the patent on that....so anyone else who makes it would be putting themselves in the kill zone....

makes it for sale, yes. But I wonder how that works if someone simply makes a thing for themselves? For instance, if you happened to have a machine shop, or new someone that did, and simply spent a weekend or two making one up.

Obviously not looking to screw over Travis or Magpul, you just brought up a point that I hadn't considered. I'd take the picture out of my photobucket, or blur that section slightly, if I thought someone would be able to steal Travis's design.

Any patent lawyers in the house?

El Mac
08-21-08, 19:14
Well, lets hope Travis gets it done. He should get the credit for the piece.

Derek_Connor
08-21-08, 20:44
makes it for sale, yes. But I wonder how that works if someone simply makes a thing for themselves? For instance, if you happened to have a machine shop, or new someone that did, and simply spent a weekend or two making one up.

Obviously not looking to screw over Travis or Magpul, you just brought up a point that I hadn't considered. I'd take the picture out of my photobucket, or blur that section slightly, if I thought someone would be able to steal Travis's design.

Any patent lawyers in the house?

Correct, anyone can make whatever they want for personal use, as soon as you attempt to distribute/sell it to others, the patent is violated.

And further from there, patents are just a rubber stamp. A gateway that opens the doors to legislative battle or private resoluation (aka $$$$$) its no gurantee. Though what is now adays....

And if it catches on, and it will, it will not be far along from the those ****ing communist air-soft companies to copy it, just like they do larue products etc...

El Mac
08-21-08, 20:48
And if it catches on, and it will, it will not be far along from the those ****ing communist air-soft companies to copy it, just like they do larue products etc...

Which is all the more reason for Magpul to get it to market asap. I believe most real shooters would much rather pay for a Magpul item than some cheap turd knock off!

POF.Ops
08-22-08, 01:35
In a SHTF aliens attacking earth scenario the Redi-mag or equivilant gives me the time and firepower necessary to get to my vest with 3 more mags, 1911 + 4 mags, and lights. I don't see the justification of the Redi-mag over alternative solutions since I am a civilian defending house and home. From there it's down to the ammo stockpile and hold down the homefront. If I were shooting competition then I would want a solution tailored for that scenario to justify the extra expense.

KevinB
08-22-08, 04:48
Big BFG/VT RediMod fan.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v193/EvilKev/Iraq/CarbinePerfectionII003.jpg

Several years ago I was resisting the RediMag when buddies put them on their guns -- I noticed in a lot of stuff it was working well - better than my reloads - but some other things they had issues.

About 2004 I got a GenII RediMag - and was off to the races. When the BFG/VT one came out -- I like the features on that a lot better than the GenII - as you dont need the BCE -- the BCE was the one issue I was concerned about - as the added pressure on the bolt catch I felt was a concern -- as I have broken three bolt catches over the last 20 years of running a M16FOW (all at work though).

Prior to my 2004 awakening - we had trialed 7 different types of Mag clips with the Army - and they uniformily sucked.

The other bonus to the Redi-Mag systems is for deployed pers who are not fortunate to be allowed to carry their weapons in Amber or red on base - but need to have one mag with them by policy - is that you can have a mag on the gun and not on one of those craptastic butstock pouches at interfer with running the gun.

rob_s
08-22-08, 05:59
Kevin, do you just reach around the RM to drop the bolt with your thumb or something?

I haven't tried the RM yet without the BAD, but I have a spare BFG version sitting on the desk next to me and was thinking I'd need to order the extended bolt release button for it. Looks like you're running without it and sounds like you don't like the part.

rmecapn
08-22-08, 09:48
Big BFG/VT RediMod fan.
The other bonus to the Redi-Mag systems is for deployed pers who are not fortunate to be allowed to carry their weapons in Amber or red on base - but need to have one mag with them by policy - is that you can have a mag on the gun and not on one of those craptastic butstock pouches at interfer with running the gun.

And this is the primary reason I continue to look at the RM as a viable option for me. I like the idea of being able to have the mag on the weapon, without having it locked, when being stored at home.

rifleshooter
08-22-08, 10:15
And this is the primary reason I continue to look at the RM as a viable option for me. I like the idea of being able to have the mag on the weapon, without having it locked, when being stored at home.

In Nam duck tape was used to attach two AR Mags together. All over the world you see AK Mags stuck together.

Funny I have only now seen this hunk of metal sticking off the side of a rifle to hold one Mag.:rolleyes:

Now don't try saying it was just invented and never though of before.:p

If you want your extra Mag. handy get a Mag. coupler or use duck tape.;)

KevinB
08-22-08, 17:07
As mentioned before the mag clip systems all have commin failures -- they fill with poo dust as the top is not covered. They move when rough handled. If not offset when on one sdie they will not allow the ejection port cover to open - thus guarateeing stoppages.

I have used them - and done away with them since they dont work.

RobS -- yes I use my thumb to press on the Bolt catch when reloading - it just comes up after my push pull and drop the bolt.

PALADIN-hgwt
08-22-08, 18:52
xxxxx

theJanitor
08-22-08, 19:49
http://s294.photobucket.com/albums/mm118/magpuldynamics08/?action=view&current=BADmp1.flv

a disclaimer: i don't use a redimag, i don't believe i've mastered the AR platform in it's more basic form yet. and so i don't believe throwing the redimag into the mix is going to be beneficial to me at this point.

R Moran
08-22-08, 20:34
Back in my infantry days, late 90's, I tried a Redi mag, and really didn't like it, due to the different manual of arms, getting to the bolt catch, etc.
With the new versions, especially the Blue Force gear, I may give it another try, though.

A few years prior to that, I tried mag couplers. I used the steel "Israeli" style ones. I used them in a field problem or two, and maybe a LFX, this was awhile ago. They got dropped also. For all the reason Dereck and Kevin pointed out.

Perhaps one in the gun, is livable, but multiple ones are a no-go. As mentioned what pouches are GTG? I used the early saw pouches and standard GI magpouches, you could maybe squeeze one set in one pouch. All were less then satisfactory.

The first reload at the gun maybe faster, but all subsequent reoads are slower, the doubled up mags are heavier, harder to manipulate.

Then what do you do with the empty? This was in the days before dump pouches, and empties were clipped to the LBE, put down your shirt, in your butt pack, or cargo pocket(least preferable). All of these are harder to accomplish with doubled mags.

I don't recall any malfunctions due to them, ie rounds moving forward or debri in them, etc but I really didn't work them to hard, after I realized it wasn't a good system.

At least with a redi-mag, after teh first reload, your back to normal.

BTW:
Back in the late 80's myself and my fellow paratroopers thought alot of the Isaraeli military, then in '89(?) we jumped into Egypt, and Jordan in support of operation BrightStar, we got a look at what the Israelis had been fighting, and we we'rent impressed, later, during the first Gulf War, we had these feelings re-inforced.
Making decisions on gear, based on other organizations can be good thing, not knowing the whole story, can be a bad thing.

Bob

POF.Ops
08-22-08, 23:50
If I were in the market for this device I would go with the Blueforcegear Redi-Mod. As Rob stated before the real issue is the 17+ oz mag.

was21
08-23-08, 15:46
I've been back and forth on the RM.
At present I only keep one on my lightweight 'grab and go ' house gun.
I figure that way I've got at least one reload without having to grab any other gear or bags. If it turns into a longer walk I can always drop the extra mag in the RM into my pocket for less weight in the hands.
That's what works for me ...YMMV
Wes

Robb Jensen
09-10-08, 17:00
Well I went Hack-Fu Gunwerkes on my BFG Redi-Mod today using a friends milling machine and took off .7oz, not much but it was fun no less. It went from 7oz to 6.3oz. The gun is a hair over 7.5lbs.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/gunpics/redimag.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/gunpics/redimag2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/gunpics/redimag4.jpg