PDA

View Full Version : Retro SIG - the SP 2022

m4brian
02-13-16, 11:24
Recently a friend got me thinking about DA/SA again. I started there 15 years ago, but the P01 grittiness turned me off. I went SAO, then SF with a G19 and MP, and those are fine. But as my carry gun is a PM9, I respected the DA and having DA/SA got me thinking again. Also, hammer fired guns like the 92 and P series had decent OTB triggers. So, off I went. I had owned a P226 WG that was nice, but I prematurely sold it off over a year ago. I was not yet ready for the DA. Then my buddy put the bug in me again. So, I looked over Beretta and SIG again. The Berettas frustrated the daylights out of me with poor model selection, and the SIGs seemed to have a better DA trigger - to me the most important shot - your first. Then I stumbled on threads touting the poor SP 2022. Plagued by a bad moniker (SigPro - really? Kinda like "grip zone" on the XDM - plain stupid), I had overlooked them years before as 'cheapo' and likely not as good as a 'real SIG'. Then I read on. Before long I ordered and FDE one, taking some risk, having never held one.

http://images.yuku.com/image/jpeg/553254dd88fcd0539d469e1be5daa59eb304dda.jpg

Then I hit the range as fast as I could. The thing shoots accurately and easily. It returns to POA naturally - I don't feel like its bore axis is too high. Sights are SIGLITES and not bad. I have no trouble riding the slide stop, as I taught myself to bring my right thumb wide over my support hand. It IS accurate. Putting 10 rds through one hole off-hand at 7 yards is easy. The DA is butter smooth and getting better after a bunch of dry firing and over 500 rds. If you know what you are doing, putting the DA/SA in the bullseye fast at 10 yard is doable. This thing is a sleeper for sure. The barrel to slide fit on this is bank vault tight. I had looked at the P07, en excellent gun, but like this trigger more, liked having more sight options, and the mags are a bit cheaper. Oh, and this gun is extremely robust. It is a tad heavier than the P07, and the rail system and locking block show this. The hardened steel slide rides on steel inserts not alloy like the P series. No, the trigger will not match a tuned P series with SRT, but OTB the DA is better, and the SA is still VERY good. Reset for me is fine, and tactile.

Pros:

Accuracy like a P series
Reliability like good P series
Build quality
Trigger
Trigger guard and standard trigger make using gloves VERY easy.
Controls like a P series
(maybe) Mag bases can vary from flat - good for carry; to extended for 17 rd; or the finger shelf for max grip but a short rear butt [some don't like not using P series mags]
Steel on steel rail ride
Sig Sight options
Durable polymer frame that makes it more carry-able than the 226.
Excellent track record (hundreds of thousands fielded and no reports of crapping the bed). During the bad SIG years many on this site swore SIG off - these were still going strong then.
The grips DO change the whole feel - they are not just backstraps. The grip texturing is very well done - aggressive, but not stupid
NO hump. the left side by the decocker is flat - I think this is a tad better for carry and ambi-grip.
Price: OTD less than $500 with 2 mags and night sights. LE/MIL is about $425 with 3 mags. (Over a year ago, there were smoking deals for less than $400 OTD).

Cons:

Doesn't take P series mags
No SRT
Large grip MAY be being discontinued for those with very large hands
Take down is NOT as easy as a P series - (but easier than a 1911)
Accessories not as abundant as a P series.

If you wanted an excellent, accurate, reliable pistol for you and your children - this would be the one.

ChaseN
02-13-16, 16:47
I had one for a while when I worked at an agency entrenched in the legacy Sig DA/SA design. Though overlooked, the SP2022 is IMO the best Sig DA/SA you can buy. The trigger out of the box is like nothing else, and it is quite light (in comparison to a P229 or 226). I sold mine when I left that agency and was no longer required to carry a DA/SA Sig, but if it is that format of pistol you seek, you can't beat the SP2022. Good choice!

m4brian
02-20-16, 06:47
Glad these are not popular. May want to purchase more cheap.

Tomac
02-20-16, 11:35
The SP2022 is my 2nd favorite SIG after the P320 Compact.

m4brian
02-20-16, 14:24
I m amazed at the DA trigger. It just gets smoother with use.

Plenty of testimonies from SIG owners who own many SIGs and say that the SP2022 is their equal in shooting.

Vincent317
02-22-16, 15:52
The SP2022 was my first Sig purchase back in 2008. Many Sigs later & I still have to say that the SP2022 trigger is the best, non SRT, trigger out of the box.

fmiq
02-22-16, 16:09
Funny, I purchased a very nice used SP2022 and a P320c in 9mm a couple days apart just recently. I have about a dozen P series pistol that I really like but don't carry for protection normally. Finally got to the range and shot both, I shoot these better off handed than any of my other P series. They have really grown on me, and what a value:dance3:

brickboy240
02-23-16, 09:49
My cousin bought a 2022 Sig Pro back when local Academy stores had them at bargain prices. I think they were around 375 brand new.

I have borrowed his 2022 many times and put several boxes through it.

Yes, they are good shooters! Accurate and totally reliable in my experiences. It is a tad large but a soft shooter and a real bargain for what he paid for it.

if you like it, I totally understand why. For the money, they are really a great deal and seem pretty well made.

m4brian
02-23-16, 17:47
It is a tad large but a soft shooter and a real bargain for what he paid for it.

They are truly a tween or midsize. Slightly larger than the P229, but definitely smaller than the P226.

GregP220
02-23-16, 18:34
These things really fly under the radar. I have to confess that when I was pondering a TDA polymer pistol for AIWB carry I forgot about them altogether.
I really like the CZ P-07 I selected, but this looks to be another solid choice.

Sig just doesn't seem to have a clue about how to market these. They do sell for a good bit more $ now than just a couple years ago. Maybe demand is rising?

Mountaineer_711
02-27-16, 00:03
My SP-2022 has been a great pistol. I know 12k rounds isn't impressive compared to many around here, but mine has been trouble free since I picked it up. It's easy to shoot, and it's reliable. I definitely think they are underrated pistols.

With that said, I've moved away from DA/SA guns lately.

m4brian
02-27-16, 21:13
Put another 200 rounds through her today. Not a slip. It makes DA easy. Its ALMOST a cure for SF guns. If you concentrate on your fundamentals, its a sweet shooting and highly accurate gun. I shot a VP9 beside it and I'd say that it IS softer and easier shooting - less snappy than the HK.

sundance435
03-01-16, 19:33
It's been quite awhile since I've looked into the 2022's, but, lately, I've seen a few different posts about them, which has me interested. Are they made in the U.S. now? IIRC, the early production guns were made in Germany.

Arik
03-01-16, 20:25
I see 40s&w everywhere. I've checked them out and they feel nice, both grip and trigger, but it was hard getting past a full size gun with 12 rounds and $40 mags. They may not be FS but they sure do look it. Looks a lot bigger than my 228

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

m4brian
03-02-16, 20:45
It's been quite awhile since I've looked into the 2022's, but, lately, I've seen a few different posts about them, which has me interested. Are they made in the U.S. now? IIRC, the early production guns were made in Germany.

They are made in the US now. There have been NO production issues that I have found. The gun is total quality - accurate and easy to shoot.

Big A
03-07-16, 12:21
Academy Sports has these on sale for $449.99.

arcticlightfighter
03-14-16, 21:40
Of all my SIG pistols, the 2022 had the smoothest DA trigger.

Arik
03-15-16, 12:12
I may have a Safariland duty holster for that if you're interested. Very good condition, came from my PD when they switched from Sig 2340 to G22. It's right handed and I'm a lefty!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

m4brian
03-16-16, 08:06
Of all my SIG pistols, the 2022 had the smoothest DA trigger..

Amen. I am amazed at the smoothness of my 2022. I have fired several hundred rounds and dry fired quite a bit. I have never felt a smoother trigger even on my pre b czs with a bunch of trigger work.