PDA

View Full Version : Having a serious dillema here. Which muzzle device to perm attach to KAC mod 2 upper?

Lopro619
02-15-16, 09:07
So far I have it narrowed down to the Surefire SFMB-556, Surefire Warcomp and a KAC MAMS. I really want the mams but damn the thing is pricey and ugly. The main reason I want the surefires is because of the ability to throw a warden on there if I am at the indoor range etc. Should I just save up and get the MAMS and be done with it since it's a KAC rifle I am building, or save some cash and go the surefire route. What would you guys do?

EO3
02-15-16, 09:28
I think the MAMS might offer a bit more reduction in concussion and flash. Don't know if this is a factor in your choice or not, but I thought it might be worth mentioning.

VIP3R 237
02-15-16, 09:44
I think the most important question is Are you going to use a suppressor with this rifle? If so, then the suppressor you choose will dictate the muzzle device.

If not the KAC Mams is pretty damn impressive.

Lopro619
02-15-16, 09:47
I think the most important question is Are you going to use a suppressor with this rifle? If so, then the suppressor you choose will dictate the muzzle device.

I live in Kommiefornia, so no suppressor. Another reason the warden blast diffuser is cool is because it's the closest looking thing to a can I can have here pretty much. I know pretty lame reason, but I like to fiddle fu** with stuff lol

EO3
02-15-16, 09:47

Good point. If OP isn't using a suppressor, I'd definitely pick the MAMS, just to keep it all KAC, if anything. :cool:

Lopro619
02-15-16, 09:52
Good point. If OP isn't using a suppressor, I'd definitely pick the MAMS, just to keep it all KAC, if anything. :cool:

Yeah I am leaning that way. Looks like I need to save up another 270 bones lol. This KAC project is a money pit I tell ya. But it will be worth it when it's all said and done. I will be one of the few in California with a complete KAC setup out here. Thank you KAC for releasing the SR30 lower that's not on the banned list!

VIP3R 237
02-15-16, 09:55
Yeah I am leaning that way. Looks like I need to save up another 270 bones lol. This KAC project is a money pit I tell ya. But it will be worth it when it's all said and done. I will be one of the few in California with a complete KAC setup out here. Thank you KAC for releasing the SR30 lower that's not on the banned list!

If you don't want to spend $270 but you want similar performance, the PA EFAB is probably the most effective hybrid style muzzle device on the market.

http://precisionarmament.com/product/efab-hybrid-muzzle-brake/

Lopro619
02-15-16, 09:57
yeah I was looking at the efab and afab as well. If I am going to get an imitation MAMS, might as well just get the mams hah. I would have buyers remorse I bet on that one.

EO3
02-15-16, 10:00
yeah I was looking at the efab and afab as well. If I am going to get an imitation MAMS, might as well just get the mams hah. I would have buyers remorse I bet on that one.

Buy once, cry once. That's what they say, right?? :big_boss:

Lopro619
02-15-16, 10:07
yeah they do hah. It's just cutting into my t2 money!

Iraqgunz
02-15-16, 12:56
The last thing I would do is ask for advice on something like this. Have you already purchased the upper or do you own it? I am against pin and weld unless there is a compelling reason such as a legal requirement like some states have.

Ryno12
02-15-16, 13:01
The last thing I would do is ask for advice on something like this. Have you already purchased the upper or do you own it? I am against pin and weld unless there is a compelling reason such as a legal requirement like some states have.

He's in Cali.

Iraqgunz
02-15-16, 15:31
CA doesn't mandate pinned and welded devices. NY for example does require it.

He's in Cali.

Ryno12
02-15-16, 15:58

Oh, sorry, my bad. I thought they did also.

cop1211
02-15-16, 18:17
Get the MAMS. I've got two, they are great.

Firefly
02-15-16, 18:28
On a 7.62 rifle, a MAMS really IS like cheating.
Dunno about a 5.56 one. It isn't like the 5.56 will kill your shoulder. But boy does it make a 7.62 soft.

But of the two at least the MAMS is factory KAC.

Also, permanently attaching stuff like a 14.5 is counterproductive. A 16" really does it all. You don't gain the handiness of an 11" nor velocity of a 16" but still retain all the legal NFA hassles plus it is hard if you actually need to change something.

Good luck.

Lopro619
02-15-16, 20:00

If the barrel is under 16" you must pin/weld a device to bring it up to 16.

titsonritz
02-15-16, 20:03
The question is, do you already have the barrel/upper? If not get a 16"

That said, MAMS

Lopro619
02-15-16, 20:09
The question is, do you already have the barrel/upper? If not get a 16"

That said, MAMS

Yeah already have the upper paid for, it's being shipped.

w3453l
02-15-16, 20:21
Yeah already have the upper paid for, it's being shipped.

Where in SD are you?

I think you bought the exact upper I was looking at. Was it from AV guns?

joeyjoe
02-15-16, 20:28
There is a lot of opposition to the 14.5" pin + weld option around here. Obviously there are some valid concerns, but as long as you have done your research and know what you want, there is definitely something to be said for a 14.5 pin + weld setup. as i've settled on the type of rig that i most enjoy, I've done more pin + welds. I couldn't be happier. Make no mistake, there IS a difference in overall length between 14.5" with P/W and 16", depending upon the attached muzzle device. I have a 14.5 Colt barrel with perm attached A2X. When put up against a 14.5 with standard A2 FH (m4), the pin and weld is almost 1/4 inch longer. Thats not much of a difference at all, which means there is an appreciable difference when stacked up against a 16".

Anyhoo, id go with the MAMS and never look back.

Lopro619
02-15-16, 20:28
Yup w3453, got their last one in stock. Not sure how it stayed in stock either. It was 150 cheaper than every other shop online that was sold out. I am in the south bay area, and yourself?

Iraqgunz
02-15-16, 20:55
I am very familiar with federal and state law. My recommendation is to stay away from a 14.5" permed barrel unless it is necessary.

Lopro619
02-15-16, 20:58
I am very familiar with federal and state law. My recommendation is to stay away from a 14.5" permed barrel unless it is necessary.

I guess the only reason I got it was because it replaced my 14.5" kmr upper, and I already have another 16" upper right now. Maybe should have thought it out more, could have saved 100 bucks as well.

w3453l
02-15-16, 21:21
Yup w3453, got their last one in stock. Not sure how it stayed in stock either. It was 150 cheaper than every other shop online that was sold out. I am in the south bay area, and yourself?

Yeah $150 cheaper, and being the only place with it in stock was what made me hesitate lol. I thought it was a mistake, so I emailed them, and by the time I got an answer it was gone. I guess it might have been for the better, I should be putting the money towards more important needs at the moment.

I'm just outside North Park

Lopro619
02-15-16, 21:36
Yeah $150 cheaper, and being the only place with it in stock was what made me hesitate lol. I thought it was a mistake, so I emailed them, and by the time I got an answer it was gone. I guess it might have been for the better, I should be putting the money towards more important needs at the moment.

I'm just outside North Park

where do you shoot? At the rod and gun club or one of the indoor places around town?

titsonritz
02-15-16, 21:39
I guess the only reason I got it was because it replaced my 14.5" kmr upper, and I already have another 16" upper right now. Maybe should have thought it out more, could have saved 100 bucks as well.
So it is coming with a pin/weld you need to brake to put on the MD you want and re-pin/weld?

Lopro619
02-15-16, 21:45
So it is coming with a pin/weld you need to brake to put on the MD you want and re-pin/weld?

Nah the 3 prong is on there with rockset. I could've saved 100 because 16" uppers are 100 less from KAC for some reason.

titsonritz
02-15-16, 21:51
There is a lot of opposition to the 14.5" pin + weld option around here. Obviously there are some valid concerns, but as long as you have done your research and know what you want, there is definitely something to be said for a 14.5 pin + weld setup. as i've settled on the type of rig that i most enjoy, I've done more pin + welds. I couldn't be happier. Make no mistake, there IS a difference in overall length between 14.5" with P/W and 16", depending upon the attached muzzle device. I have a 14.5 Colt barrel with perm attached A2X. When put up against a 14.5 with standard A2 FH (m4), the pin and weld is almost 1/4 inch longer. Thats not much of a difference at all, which means there is an appreciable difference when stacked up against a 16".

Anyhoo, id go with the MAMS and never look back.
I am not opposed to them but you need to be sure of the configuration (barrel, barrel nut, FSB/gas block and MD) and accept the limitations or be willing for the extra work involved with a change. My 14.5" is a mid-length LW barrel with a standard FSB, delta ring and front handguard cap with A2X. It is my KISS carbine and I plan to keep it that way. That said, I see no need for another one and everything I built lately is 16" or longer.

w3453l
02-15-16, 21:54
where do you shoot? At the rod and gun club or one of the indoor places around town?

I actually moved down here pretty recently. I haven't shot at either of those. I've been to The Gun Range off Balboa; it was pretty nice actually, when I went it was like $12 with no time limit. Supposedly they changed it to a per hour fee though. Other than that I've been shooting on BLM closer to the border right past Lakeside.

Lopro619
02-15-16, 22:06
I actually moved down here pretty recently. I haven't shot at either of those. I've been to The Gun Range off Balboa; it was pretty nice actually, when I went it was like $12 with no time limit. Supposedly they changed it to a per hour fee though. Other than that I've been shooting on BLM closer to the border right past Lakeside.

American Shooting Center is the one you are speaking of. I just checked their webpage, it's still one time fee not hourly. You should check out South Bay Rod and Gun Club. It's a little bit of a drive, but not that bad and it's at least a pretty drive. Outdoor 300 yard range, and they have a skeet range and a pistol range as well.

EDIT> DIdn't realize there was a place called "The Gun Range" over off balboa lol. Check out American Shooting Center around there, best value around as far as indoor ranges go.

w3453l
02-15-16, 22:26
Haha yeah there's quite a lot of ranges here. Thanks I'll have to check those out too. It's pretty nice down here; almost like an oasis as far as CA goes; most big cities are crazy anal with anything related to guns. LA for example

Lopro619
02-15-16, 22:32
Haha yeah there's quite a lot of ranges here. Thanks I'll have to check those out too. It's pretty nice down here; almost like an oasis as far as CA goes; most big cities are crazy anal with anything related to guns. LA for example

It's because there's so much active and retired military here I think. If the paruta case ever gets done in the 9th circus court of appeals we will be able to have CCW here in San Diego. It will be a will issue thing vs needing a good reason. If you can get a gun, basically you will be able to carry one once this is all done in court. Paruta won the case, but you know how it is. Things get held up in circuit courts. Are you on Calguns.net?

w3453l
02-15-16, 23:08
Yeah just have to hope for the best, but being in CA, what you can't really get your hopes up.

Yeah I'm on calguns, waddlingweezol is my screen name there. Although I mostly just use it to look up new laws or for the marketplace.

Lopro619
02-27-16, 17:25
SR 30 lower, SR 15 mod 2 upper, and a MAMS. Sending the upper and mams off on monday to Boltcarrier to have Ayan install it. Super stoked

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1628/24686946694_004543a235_b.jpg