PDA

View Full Version : ALG rail owners (V1 specifically), please step inside!

Basher
02-15-16, 15:34
I'm trying to configure a few uppers, and I've narrowed things down to either an ALG rail, or an MI G3 M-Series rail. I have a V2 that I'll be using on an SPR-type build, but these others are 16" carbines. I'm wanting to put rail covers at 3, 6, and 9 o'clock, and a TLR-1/X300 at 12 o'clock in front of a fixed Daniel Defense front sight. I prefer the mounting system of the ALG over the MI G3 rails, but only the V1 ALG rail has M-lok slots at 3, 6, and 9.

So my question is this: can the co-witness rail sections be stacked close enough together to allow me to activate the light without the DD fixed front being in the way/too far to the rear that I can't reach the light around it? Can anyone who has two rail sections take a photo of them mounted one right behind the other at the 12 o'clock position?

I'm not against other M-lok rail systems, but the ALG and MI systems seem solid, well-built, light-weight, well-priced, and small in diameter so that adding rail covers doesn't make the rail too big around. Sometimes having so many choices is more a hinderance than a help for me, haha. Thanks in advance.

TexasAggie2005
02-15-16, 15:40
I don't have a X300 or DD front, but, the ALG cowitness rails take up 1-1/2 slots each. So you'll be able to butt them up with no issues, and they'll take up three total top slots. I'd guess you only lose 2 picatinny slots since the cowitness rail has some ergonomical slope on the ends.

This photo of my setup may help with the cover questions. I cut my cowitness rail down so it only takes up one slot. But it only uses one t-nut, which is still rock solid.

Basher
02-15-16, 15:56
Thanks! Sent you a PM with some questions.

sva01
02-15-16, 16:00
The V3 rail would allow you to have the fixed front and the X300 at 12 o'clock just in front of it.

Basher
02-15-16, 16:05
It would, yes, but it wouldn't allow rail covers or other attachments at 3 or 9 o'clock, only 6. The other M-lok slots are offset on the V2/V3.

TexasAggie2005
02-15-16, 16:09
It would, yes, but it wouldn't allow rail covers or other attachments at 3 or 9 o'clock, only 6. The other M-lok slots are offset on the V2/V3.

Check out Magpul's Type 1 rail cover (https://www.magpul.com/products/m-lok-rail-cover-type-1). Those can be used on all slots of the V3 without issue.

sva01
02-15-16, 16:10

You didn't originally mention any other accessories, what else would you need to mount? You could still run rail covers in the slots where they are. The newish Magpul M-Lok covers would work well...

TA2005 linked the covers I was refering to...

Basher
02-15-16, 16:56
I suppose I'm keeping options open. I don't want to have to purchase more gear to switch things around later, but in a way, that's unavoidable. That, and if I wanted covers other than the Type 1, I'd be limited. So at this point I'm just feeling options out before I spend money.