PDA

View Full Version : 14.5 DD barrel carbine spring/H2 or A5?

Kenneth
02-16-16, 18:50
Hey guys I have been reading a lot about the A5 set up. What I am wondering is what type of felt recoil reduction could I get with dropping the carbine spring and H2 buffer for an A5 system. Also I was looking at the BCM version and they sell 3 different buffer weights for the A5. Which one works best with the 14.5?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GH41
02-16-16, 19:30
Hey guys I have been reading a lot about the A5 set up. What I am wondering is what type of felt recoil reduction could I get with dropping the carbine spring and H2 buffer for an A5 system. Also I was looking at the BCM version and they sell 3 different buffer weights for the A5. Which one works best with the 14.5?

Read the other thread. It's not about recoil reduction. What recoil? It's about a reliable and forgiving way to calm the rifle down.

Kenneth
02-16-16, 19:39
Maybe recoil wasn't the best word. My 14.5 middy seems to "jump" around more then my 16" carbine. They are both wearing battle comps. Maybe I missed it in the other thread and will go back and read.

TMS951
02-16-16, 19:45
At least get the A5 H2. The A5 A4 is probably better.

I run my 14.5 DD carbine barrels with the A5-A2, and the LMT enhanced BCG which I think is essential with these over gassed barrels. Cheap ammo that has choked in other guns still runs with this set up.

Eventually I'll add the A5H4 and a heavier spring if spring co sells one. It needs it with 5.56 ammo.

Kenneth
02-16-16, 19:46
The 14.5 is running a BCM full auto carrier by the way.

Kenneth
02-16-16, 19:49
Dang the A5H2 is the heaviest BCM sells. I wouldn't think it would be reliable with such a heavy buffer but I don't know. I'm looking at the complete BCM kit. Do most people replace the spring with a springco green?

Dang $23 for a green spring?

WS6
02-16-16, 20:02
I had an A5H2 on my 16.1" midlength with 0.073" gas port and 0.750 gas block journal, using the Sprinco green spring.

Oddly, the most violent ammunition I have (including Browntip, which clocks 2900ish from my rifle, and launches a 70gr copper bullet...) is 75gr Gold Dot. It kicks the most, and the cases fly forward the most. However, this setup will reliably run it, and it will also lock back on empty with 55gr Tula.

I find that the A5 system is more tolerant of variances in bullet and charge "weights", and makes suppression more transparent, as well.

I had issues dropping the bolt on fully loaded mags with Vltor's included spring, and that is why I run the Sprinco Green spring. I also run their ejector and extractor springs, and find that they work much better than some other's I've run (Azimuth, Daniel Defense.).

titsonritz
02-17-16, 01:42
Dang the A5H2 is the heaviest BCM sells. I wouldn't think it would be reliable with such a heavy buffer but I don't know. I'm looking at the complete BCM kit. Do most people replace the spring with a springco green?

If you want a heavier buffer get it from Vltor and if you are getting Sprinco Green spring it does make any sense to get a kit.

Dr Dues
02-17-16, 11:52

I have 4 A5 systems and use them on various uppers suppressed/ non-suppressed.

I use Colt rifle action springs.

I have had zero issues.

TMS951
02-17-16, 14:59
The A5 buffer weights BCM sells correspond to their use of proper gas port sizes.

The Daniel Defense barrels are way overgassed and require much heavier buffer.

WS6
02-17-16, 17:25
The A5 buffer weights BCM sells correspond to their use of proper gas port sizes.

The gas port in the 14.5" middy DD is 0.076" BCM uses 0.077".

Kenneth
02-17-16, 17:46
Yea that's what I have no idea about. I want to run an A5 but don't want to get a set up that causes problems.

JG007
02-17-16, 22:33

Not sure if people agree on that

SeaDonkey
02-21-16, 12:11
Running a DD mid-length 14.5" pencil barrel on a build. It IS NOT over gassed.

I'm not a Spikes fan, but I have good luck with their T2 buffers. The above rifle runs a Spikes T2 buffer with Sprinco blue buffer spring (highly recommended). Colt BCG. No brainer.

tom12.7
02-22-16, 18:04
I wouldn't compare the powdered T2 carbine action to an A5 or rifle like action in any serious way.