PDA

View Full Version : Is this a MIM issue?

DirectTo
02-17-16, 00:42
Took a few guns out shooting today. Came home to clean everything and broke down my current EDC Gen 4 Glock 19. I thought the firing pin safety plunger looked a little weird, and cleaning it revealed what you see below. The line is actually a ridge, with a small layer of material missing to the right (the smaller section) and a distinct shelf I can feel between the two.

So what happened here? An issue with a MIM'ed part? The gun itself has about 5500 rounds through it and is shot and cleaned regularly. I detail stripped the frame and slide after seeing this and didn't find any pieces of the missing metal. Swapped it with a older spare I had.

I'm not worried about it, or about MIM in general. Just thought it was an interesting wear pattern to show.

http://i.imgur.com/KK9q5DB.jpg

quackhead
02-17-16, 03:20
Never seen that before. I would contact Glock. FWIW, i replace that along with all springs when I do my 5K PM on glocks

ST911
02-17-16, 08:19
Do you use Hoppes?

AAR: Glock Armorers Course (03/2013)
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?126861-AAR-Glock-Armorer-Course-(03-2013)

Misc
If you use Hoppes in your Glock, don’t let it sit for extended periods due to the interaction of the ammonium nitrate and nickel. Best to use something else altogether.

armtx77
02-17-16, 09:18
Do you use Hoppes?

AAR: Glock Armorers Course (03/2013)
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?126861-AAR-Glock-Armorer-Course-(03-2013)

The pitting I believe could be solvent related, but that looks like it is deep into the metal. I dont know that #9 is that nasty on bare metal or there would be a whole mess of that going on over the past 50 years.

Im not a Glock guy, but I did read that thread and thought it was a little odd. Im come to M4C for information like this. So I appreciate the OP doing the leg work on that piece.

grantoga
02-17-16, 09:43
Ive had that happen to several glocks in the past. It seems to be a surface coating flaking off. Mine always continued to function just fine.

AKFAN
02-17-16, 11:19
My G19 also had the flaking on the safety plunger. I polished it up but it never caused any issues to begin with in terms of trigger pull.

Straight Shooter
02-17-16, 12:30
Ive had that happen to several glocks in the past. It seems to be a surface coating flaking off. Mine always continued to function just fine.

One of mine has had this I first got it. Ive buffed it a couple times with Flitz & Dremel, seems to have stopped or slowed. Now Im wondering too if its MIM related, and no..not worried about it, just wondering.

mayonaise
02-18-16, 11:28
The Glock firing pin safety is not MIM.

sundance435
02-18-16, 14:29
I use the Apex safety plunger in both of my Glock 9's. The trigger pull is noticeably smoother, as a result. It's not a trigger job by any stretch, but I did notice an improvement. This is also completely subjective, but it just feels like a more solid piece than the factory part.

MStarmer
02-18-16, 16:43
I don't think I've ever had one that didn't look like that. It's never been an issue over probably a dozen different Glocks.