PDA

View Full Version : POF P415

MOhunter92
02-17-16, 10:38
Hey guys, I'm tying to find some information and real world experience with these rifles. I'm interested in the P415 and there seems to be very mixed reviews about Patriot ordnance, are these rifles reliable and accurate, and do they have good customer service?

I cannot find much about these and have googled extensively and also tried searching the forums here with no luck. There's only a few things I've found and it's good and bad. I'm also looking into the DD V7LW with their new M lok rail and DD has a great reputation but recent threads of DD I've read seem to have the opinion that their 16 inch mid lengths are over gassed? I'd appreciate some help and input, thanks again.

Sent from my treestand using Tapatalk

MajorLonghorn
02-17-16, 20:59
The first generation P415 had some kinks, but they are now on gen 4 if I'm not mistaken, and I haven't heard anything negative about POF in quite some time. I've had mine for a couple of years and it has been reliable and accurate. It comes with ambidextrous controls, which is important to me as a lefty. The piston system is simple and easy to clean. Mine has the NP3 coating, which making cleaning even easier. That said, I really dislike the handguard. It's large, heavy, and proprietary.

MOhunter92
02-17-16, 21:02
The first generation P415 had some kinks, but they are now on gen 4 if I'm not mistaken, and I haven't heard anything negative about POF in quite some time. I've had mine for a couple of years and it has been reliable and accurate. It comes with ambidextrous controls, which is important to me as a lefty. The piston system is simple and easy to clean. Mine has the NP3 coating, which making cleaning even easier. That said, I really dislike the handguard. It's large, heavy, and proprietary.

Thanks brother. Really appreciate it. I'm interested in the NP3 version as well with the 14 inch rail. I just want to make sure it's money well spent! There just is a lot that seems to be included with POF that isn't with DD and I'd only be paying about $100 more than a V7 would cost me.

quackhead
02-18-16, 04:19
Their guns are hit or miss. It has been my experience that if there are problems, POF is hard to work with to get them figured out. Not a big fan of their CS. I also,find their proprietary rails clunky and Heavy.

MOhunter92
02-18-16, 07:06
Their guns are hit or miss. It has been my experience that if there are problems, POF is hard to work with to get them figured out. Not a big fan of their CS. I also,find their proprietary rails clunky and Heavy.

That's what I've found on the few reviews I looked up. Just trying to find more positive

C-grunt
02-18-16, 14:12
Our swat team had them for a few years after their Colt Commandos were shot out. POF is local and promised to quickly fix any issues they had. Which they most definitely did. Problem was the guns broke a lot. One of the swat guys I talked to was getting his gun fixed and was told by POF that they were shooting the guns too much. Who would have thought that the swat team for one of the biggest citites in the country does a lot of training??

They switched over to Daniel Defense rifles about 2 years ago and I haven't heard any complaints since.

I talked with one of the firearms instructors for the local Sheriffs office. When they tested the POF for their swat teams it not only malfunctioned but it shot the piston out the front of the gun.

On a local forum her in Az a guy posted pictures of his POF keyholing after 5000 rounds. The barrel was completely toast. I've also heard that a local big name shooting facility went to third party barrels for their rental POF after going through 2 in less than 10k rounds.

MOhunter92
02-18-16, 14:17
Our swat team had them for a few years after their Colt Commandos were shot out. POF is local and promised to quickly fix any issues they had. Which they most definitely did. Problem was the guns broke a lot. One of the swat guys I talked to was getting his gun fixed and was told by POF that they were shooting the guns too much. Who would have thought that the swat team for one of the biggest citites in the country does a lot of training??

They switched over to Daniel Defense rifles about 2 years ago and I haven't heard any complaints since.

I talked with one of the firearms instructors for the local Sheriffs office. When they tested the POF for their swat teams it not only malfunctioned but it shot the piston out the front of the gun.

On a local forum her in Az a guy posted pictures of his POF keyholing after 5000 rounds. The barrel was completely toast. I've also heard that a local big name shooting facility went to third party barrels for their rental POF after going through 2 in less than 10k rounds.

Thanks so much man. This is exactly what I was looking for, I really appreciate it. I've heard of the gas plug shooting off before from another guy. I'm definitely starting to lean more towards Daniel defense, did they end up switching to mid length DDs? I hear guys say they are over gassed

C-grunt
02-18-16, 14:23
Thanks so much man. This is exactly what I was looking for, I really appreciate it. I've heard of the gas plug shooting off before from another guy. I'm definitely starting to lean more towards Daniel defense, did they end up switching to mid length DDs? I hear guys say they are over gassed

They went with the 10.3 inch Mk18.

I know that DD overgasses their Mk18 barrels due to the cirt shooting crowd complaining that it would run their cheapo bullshit ammo. Ive also heard that the .mil/LEO line of Mk18s might be different but I cant say for sure. Ive not heard much complaints about their longer barrels though. Even if you do get an overgassed gun that causes issues, thats not very hard to fix.

MOhunter92
02-18-16, 14:25
They went with the 10.3 inch Mk18.

I know that DD overgasses their Mk18 barrels due to the cirt shooting crowd complaining that it would run their cheapo bullshit ammo. Ive also heard that the .mil/LEO line of Mk18s might be different but I cant say for sure. Ive not heard much complaints about their longer barrels though. Even if you do get an overgassed gun that causes issues, thats not very hard to fix.

Gotcha. Just gotta wait for the V7 to come out in April, gonna be a long couple months lol. What's the fix for an over gassed gun? I just got into ARs last year so I'm not completely familiar with fixes for everything yet

C-grunt
02-18-16, 14:30
Adjustable gas blocks and/or heavier buffers. Though if you aren't buying a DD Mk18 I highly doubt you will have a problem.

MOhunter92
02-18-16, 14:33
DD gas blocks aren't adjustable, but I don't plan on ever running a suppressor on it or anything so yeah I doubt I'll have to do anything to mess with it. I figured a heavier buffer would be one fix but I didn't know if there was anything you could do with the gas system itself.

MajorLonghorn
02-18-16, 16:17
Some people also use the LMT enhanced BCG to bleed off excess gas.

MOhunter92
02-18-16, 16:19
Do you know if the rifles that the SWAT used were gen 4 pofs or older?

scoob
02-18-16, 19:31
I've owned a p415 (still have the lower registered as sbr) but got rid of the upper pretty quickly. Too heavy and started to hear lots of rumors about parts breaking easily. The lower is badass though. All this being said, go with DD. You won't be disappointed. I've owned a bunch of DD stuff and have never had an issue. Plus their customer service is top notch. Also, if you're worried about over gassed, just get the new Gemtech adjustable bcg and an H2 buffer. Problem solved.

MajorLonghorn
02-18-16, 19:34
Yeah I really like the lower. The stock trigger is the only one I haven't changed to a Geissele.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

MOhunter92
02-18-16, 19:35
I've owned a p415 (still have the lower registered as sbr) but got rid of the upper pretty quickly. Too heavy and started to hear lots of rumors about parts breaking easily. The lower is badass though. All this being said, go with DD. You won't be disappointed. I've owned a bunch of DD stuff and have never had an issue. Plus their customer service is top notch. Also, if you're worried about over gassed, just get the new Gemtech adjustable bcg and an H2 buffer. Problem solved.

Thanks man I'm thinking I'll go DD

Cane55
02-19-16, 00:27
Thanks man I'm thinking I'll go DD

Check out BCM, they are excellent.

MajorLonghorn
02-19-16, 01:06
Or build your own. I basically built my own Noveske Afghan, albeit with a chrome-lined barrel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

scoob
02-19-16, 08:10
Check out BCM, they are excellent.

I actually agree with this. Just picked up an upper with the kmr rail and it's my new favorite rifle. Very accurate and inexpensive. Also hammer forged barrel. Can't beat the amount you get for the price with BCM.

odugrad
02-19-16, 10:36
My $.02, Go with the Daniel Defense-they're good to go.

Even if DD is a bit gassy, it's probably better to have something slightly over gassed than under gassed.

MOhunter92
02-19-16, 10:37
My $.02, Go with the Daniel Defense-they're good to go.

Even if DD is a bit gassy, it's probably better to have something slightly over gassed than under gassed.

That's what I'm thinking too thanks man

odugrad
02-19-16, 10:39
And with anything, keep a spare bolt, buffer spring, and maybe a lower parts kit on hand and you'll be set.