PDA

View Full Version : Bolt hard to insert into carrier

modelbuilder56
02-18-16, 15:57
Picked up a brand new 6920, I have one other and do not have this issue. The new bolt has to forcibly be inserted into the new carrier. I tried the new bolt in the older carrier and it went in fine, the older bolt in the new carrier also had to be forcibly pushed in to get it seated into the carrier. A few times it went in normally with a little resistance but the majority of the times it needed the palm of my hand to get it to seat. I checked the inside of the carrier and it looked normal. I know they can be tight but I have never had one this tight, normal or not?

I took it out and ran 100 rounds through it and it ran fine.

thanks all.

T2C
02-18-16, 16:23
I've seen tight fitting bolts/gas rings on new weapons in the past. If everything looks normal and the carbine functions OK, apply a generous amount of lubricant and shoot it.

Auto-X Fil
02-18-16, 17:22
Is the extractor sticking out and binding? I've seen that before.

devildogljb
02-18-16, 18:20
Nothing to worry about. when i got a new 6920 couple of years ago had the same "issue". It will break in so to speak and will be easier.

modelbuilder56
02-18-16, 18:56
Thanks all, I thought maybe the extractor retaining pin mat have been sticking out a little but it wasn't. I have three other Colt's and a BCM and have never had one this tight. When I rotate the bolt it even feels a little gritty too. I guess I'll have to get it back out to the range and break her in. It seems that if I turn the bolt just right it will slide in normally. I lubricated it before range time but I didn't clean it. I trust the members here completely and appreciate your input.

COLTM4LE6920MPS
02-18-16, 22:25
My Colt M4's bolt is the same way and it functions perfectly, it got better after a good cleaning/lubing with slip2000 ewg and some range time with it but its still a little tight, but I'm assuming this is a normal thing.

BillBond
02-18-16, 23:37
I have never seen a new colt bolt that was not tight in the carrier.

If it works, why are you worrying about it ?

modelbuilder56
02-19-16, 10:21
I have never seen a new colt bolt that was not tight in the carrier.

If it works, why are you worrying about it ?
Not really worried, it's a Colt. I'am concerned that gas rings will wear out faster with such tight tolerances so I thought any members here who may have had any issues with gas ring wear with theirs might respond.

cbx
02-19-16, 12:03
My experience is it takes in the realm of 1000 rounds to break an AR in. After that, they run like sewing machines.

modelbuilder56
02-20-16, 16:40
Took is to a certified Colt armorer, there should be a chamfered edge inside the carrier that collapses the gas rings and this carrier had a sharp edge, took it to my gunsmith to have him hone down the edge a bit and he said he has seen this before. The first to gas rings would collapse it was the last one that gave me troubles.