PDA

View Full Version : New Carbine, or fix up Old???

ralph
08-16-08, 21:09
I'm having a tough time making up my mind, So some other opinions may help.
I can't make up my mind as to upgrade my current AR or buy new, here's the deal. Later this fall, I'll have about $1000 to work with, my current AR is a older Bushmaster, with a 20" Gov't profile barrel (1/9 twist) I've already upgraded the BCG with one from Grant, As well as a few minor things, change the grip, triggerguard. Had old BCG properly staked, gas rings replaced as well as extractor spring, and insert. So it's in good shape. I'm thinking of getting a BCM upper from Grant, I'd like a 16" gov't profile bbl, plain jane handguards(I'm a K.I.S.S. kinda guy) and put my BCG(the new one) in, and install on my Bushy lower, The only disavantage I see with this is, the Bushmaster receiver extension is of course a commerical one, and as I've been reading this could limit my choices of stocks if I decide I want to replace. As it is, it has a A1(I replaced this) stock on it and it fits me fine.With money left over from the purchase of the upper, I figure I'd have enough left for a Troy rear sight, and possibly a optical sight as well. ( need to study up on these as I know very little about them)I'm thinking I'd end up with a pretty damned good carbine. I really can't find any fault with the BM lowers or uppers,(except for the receiver extension,) from what I can find out, BM's uppers,/lowers are as good as anyone else's. While at Grant's store today, I took a look at a CD LE carbine It was very nice, and at a very reasonable price all it needed was a back up rear sight and a optical sight of some sort. But, the rifle and sights would be a little over my budget,(not really a deal breaker but It would'nt make things any easier either) So, what to do, upgrade old rifle, or buy new???

SethB
08-16-08, 21:12
With a thousand dollar limit, and the 700 dollars or so that you could get from selling your current rifle, you can get pretty much whatever you want. In fact, you can get two of a good rifle for that price.

RogerinTPA
08-16-08, 21:45
I dunno about two, but you can get a really good colt or lmt and a decent red dot optic if you decided to sell the BM.;)

Lagadelphia
08-17-08, 21:01
If I were you, I'd just upgrade what you've got. It'll be a lot cheaper than buying a new rifle and you won't have to go through the hassle of selling your current one.

A mil spec receiver extension is cheap. I picked up a Magpul CTR stock kit which included the mil spec extension, H buffer and spring for $149.

I am assuming that your current upper is an A2? You could sell that upper with less hassles that the entire gun. Then buy the upper of your choice. You'll still come out ahead over buying a new rifle.

Solid
08-17-08, 23:19
I'd get a new build, but start with the upper since you have a complete AR right now.

OldNavyGuy
08-17-08, 23:54
While at Grant's store today, I took a look at a CD LE carbine It was very nice, and at a very reasonable price

"CD".., meaning Colt defense ?? if it is.., here is what i would do, not knowing you or Grant, i would tell Grant, "I really want that rifle..." explain your financial situation, try real hard to save up a little more $$$ and that Colt will be yours.

if it is not a Colt, forget the whole mater and upgrade what you have to get what you want.

Jeffy
08-18-08, 00:07
"CD".., meaning Colt defense ?? if it is.., here is what i would do, not knowing you or Grant, i would tell Grant, "I really want that rifle..." explain your financial situation, try real hard to save up a little more $$$ and that Colt will be yours.

if it is not a Colt, forget the whole mater and upgrade what you have to get what you want.

I suspect he means Charles Daly Defense M4LE

LariatBob
08-18-08, 09:54
Build what you want to have, use the rest to upgrade the Bushy.
Then you'll have 2 to play with. :)

RallySoob
08-18-08, 13:11
cheapest route would be to sell your current upper and start building a custom upper to your likings. Or buy a pre-built upper. There are some nice uppers available in the 1500 range. GL

may I recommend Larue's special: LaRue Tactical Stealth 16" Upper / Surefire Delta Knife Combo for $1,445

http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/catalog/P1012982.JPG

BushmasterFanBoy
08-18-08, 13:43
cheapest route would be to sell your current upper and start building a custom upper to your likings. Or buy a pre-built upper. There are some nice uppers available in the 1500 range. GL

may I recommend Larue's special: LaRue Tactical Stealth 16" Upper / Surefire Delta Knife Combo for $1,445

http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/catalog/P1012982.JPG

Dare I recommend a Billet lower from the same maker to complement an already excellent package?;)

SethB
08-18-08, 14:23
Screw billet lowers. I use Colt. But the Larue uppers are the best deal out there. I just wish they made a true lightweight. That shit is HEAVY.

Solid
08-18-08, 14:27
Screw billet lowers. I use Colt. But the Larue uppers are the best deal out there. I just wish they made a true lightweight. That shit is HEAVY.

Why "screw" billet lowers? I'm not arguing, but I either hear they are wonderful or a waste of money.

Could you elaborate on this for me? If I go with a SBR for my next AR I had though a billet lower may be a better investment, but this may be a false assumption.

Buck
08-18-08, 14:38
Ill give you 2 options... I would keep the Bushmaster you have and build it up into a 20 inch USMC spec rifle with a fixed A2 stock... In reality it would not cost you anything, because you could likely sell off the carbine parts you dont need to finance the purchase (or trade) for the rifle parts to complete the build...

Second, I would purchase a new built CD defense LE carbine, or maybe one of their new mid length carbines... They are very well made and one of the best values I have seen in the AR market...

You would end up with a quality rifle and a carbine and still stay on budget...

Just my .02

B

toddackerman
08-18-08, 14:52
I for one am preparing for whatever might happen in November so I I would opt for an additional rifle as long as it's functional and reliable. You might not be able to get carbines, lowers, short barrels etc. if the Dems win. I know that this is a little bit of a stretch, but you can always go the other way once we fully understand the political ramifications.

SethB
08-18-08, 15:01
Name one thing, besides cost more, that a billet lower does? Billet uppers are a marketing gimmick, the lowers are even worse.

Solid
08-18-08, 15:05
Name one thing, besides cost more, that a billet lower does? Billet uppers are a marketing gimmick, the lowers are even worse.

So are they stronger, weaker, the same? Are the tolerances better, worse, the same?

billybronco
08-18-08, 15:18
"....billet uppers are a marketing gimmick".

nope, wrong.....billet uppers, especially monolithic ones like my VLTOR VIS, are DEFINITELY worth their weight in gold.

the spec and dimensions, etc. are more true than forged uppers; therefore, increasing accuracy and strength. not to mention considerably less wear on the BCG and other internals.

billybronco
08-18-08, 15:20
lowers, on the other hand, are made for people who want a billet lower to match their upper.

i, personally, bought a SunDevil to go with my VIS because the damn things mated together like no other combo i've ever seen.

i could barely plug the pins the first time i joined them...

SethB
08-18-08, 18:12
Your "billet" VIS is an extrusion that is salt brazed together. It works very well, but it is not inherently superior to anything else on the market.

Are the tolerances tighter on billet uppers? Sure. Does it matter? Not really.

I like Larue's upper because of the bolt carrier more than anything.

theJanitor
08-18-08, 18:59
i'm sure Grant could get you into an LMT for around $1000

lower/collapsing stock/standard trigger - $330
16" upper - $485
BCG - $129
LT BUIS - $89 or chop an old handle for free

that's $1033, add in a charging handle and stock handguards and you could be done under $1100.

then decide if you want to sell the BM and use the money for an optic (provided you already have slings, mags, etc.

Mr.B
08-19-08, 01:18
I like Larue's upper because of the bolt carrier more than anything.

What is different about LT's bolt carrier? I hadn't heard that part of the story..

BTW +1 on the Sun Devil lower, nice quality piece, and the little adjuster to keep the upper/lower mating tight is awesome!

SethB
08-19-08, 01:57
Well, I've been told that LaRue surface grinds the carrier key so that gas can't escape. That is quality.

Mr.B
08-19-08, 02:10
huh... never knew that..

I wonder if they do that for the ones they sell for $130, or just the ones that are included with the Stealth uppers..?

I may have to call them and ask... dangit.. I keep spending money on LT stuff I don't HAVE to have.

ralph
08-19-08, 20:07
If I were you, I'd just upgrade what you've got. It'll be a lot cheaper than buying a new rifle and you won't have to go through the hassle of selling your current one.

A mil spec receiver extension is cheap. I picked up a Magpul CTR stock kit which included the mil spec extension, H buffer and spring for $149.

I am assuming that your current upper is an A2? You could sell that upper with less hassles that the entire gun. Then buy the upper of your choice. You'll still come out ahead over buying a new rifle.

WHOA! Let me get this straight...I can swap receiver extensions?? I never knew that...Could you explain in a little more detail?? I know there is alot of hate for bushmasters on this site and understandbly so,..but I've never heard anything bad about their uppers, lowers, In my case all that would be retained would be the lower and it's internals...I'm still thinking this over, and taking advantage of the AR's modular system is getting very appealing to me, Hmm, maybe I could see what Grant would charge to build an upper for me..And yes, I was referring to the Charles Daly AR's in my first post, They are very nice,and it's also nice to see that they are taking an active part on this board by listening to the customers wants/needs that alone has impressed me very much.

SethB
08-19-08, 21:36
Open your rifle and look at the buffer tube where the buffer sits. See those swirly things all around?

Those are threads. ;)

Lagadelphia
08-19-08, 22:11
WHOA! Let me get this straight...I can swap receiver extensions?? I never knew that...Could you explain in a little more detail?? I know there is alot of hate for bushmasters on this site and understandbly so,..but I've never heard anything bad about their uppers, lowers, In my case all that would be retained would be the lower and it's internals...I'm still thinking this over, and taking advantage of the AR's modular system is getting very appealing to me, Hmm, maybe I could see what Grant would charge to build an upper for me..And yes, I was referring to the Charles Daly AR's in my first post, They are very nice,and it's also nice to see that they are taking an active part on this board by listening to the customers wants/needs that alone has impressed me very much.

Receiver extension = buffer tube. When you take the stock off, you can just unscrew it then screw in the new tube.

ralph
08-20-08, 19:54
Open your rifle and look at the buffer tube where the buffer sits. See those swirly things all around?

Those are threads. ;)
I understand those are threads....I did'nt know that the two different size buffer tubes had the same size threads and pitch.... Well, I came here to learn..

SethB
08-20-08, 20:28
Ralph, I was just kidding with you! Most manufacturers offer kits to convert to an adjustable stock. I prefer the VLTOR Modstock.

target4fun
08-24-08, 00:48
fix up the old

boltcatch
08-24-08, 13:35
I'd hold off on decisions about selling his existing rifle until after November.