PDA

View Full Version : Army's new fitness tests

WillBrink
02-19-16, 09:19
In case you didn't figure it out, it's gender-neutral. How can any exercise be gender-neutral, or conversely, gender specific? :stop:

Army's new fitness tests: New details emerge from leadership

The Army is on the eve of rolling out new MOS-specific, gender-neutral fitness tests, and new details have begun to emerge.

The tests “should be good to go by June,” said Patrick Murphy, acting Army secretary, in a Tuesday interview with Army Times. That plan, and others related to adding women into previously closed military occupational specialties, is contingent on Defense Department approval.

While no final decisions have been made, it’s unlikely every MOS will get its own fitness test, owing to the impracticality of creating and conducting one for each specialty, Army test-developers said. One solution could involve implementing a single test and creating a tiered scoring system — soldiers with high marks could serve in the most physically demanding jobs, while those who eked out passing grades would have their MOS options restricted.

The tests likely will incorporate exercises that soldiers will need on the battlefield, Murphy said, and they are expected to revolve around “advanced individual skills that are MOS-specific, gender-neutral and standards-based.”

Cont:

http://www.armytimes.com/story/military/2016/02/18/acting-army-secretary-gender-neutral-fitness-test-coming-soon-patrick-murphy-apft/80566724/

Outlander Systems
02-19-16, 09:36
Front-Leaning Rest Position.

Move.

soulezoo
02-19-16, 09:45
Hands on hips, pant like a dog...

Move some more.

SomeOtherGuy
02-19-16, 10:36
In case you didn't figure it out, it's gender-neutral. How can any exercise be gender-neutral, or conversely, gender specific? :stop:

Oh, there are a few sex-specific exercises:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8cKH9VBe2Q

Anyway... if an exercise doesn't require specific genitals, then it's gender neutral. One sex or the other might typically be better at it, but that's just an average.

GTF425
02-19-16, 11:40
That is one raging high and tight. Goddamn.

Turnkey11
02-19-16, 12:48
So what, did they ditch the obstacle course and shuttle run with ammo cans idea already? Id like to see the difference between a 12B's PT test and a 42A's.

ABNAK
02-19-16, 14:11
That's all fine and well but there is this thing called a contract that a soldier has BEFORE going to Basic Training. It sounds like this new MOS-based "standard" will determine what MOS you can apply for. So unless it's given pre-enlistment there will be a lot of people getting out early (like in Basic) because the Army won't honor their contract.

JC5188
02-19-16, 14:59
Sounds like what many employers are moving towards in regard to new applicants. Interviews that are aptitude and requirements based. Log a particular score, and can only lift 30 lbs? These are the jobs we have available for you. Answer any one of a few "qualifiers" incorrectly? You don't even get to apply.

Not saying it's a good thing for the military, but that's how I read it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

26 Inf
02-19-16, 16:14
There was a move to do this is the 70's as the Armed Forces faced the reality of going to the all volunteer force. The idea was to get with the department of labor and do job task analysis of the physical (and I assume mental) requirements of all military jobs and develop entry standards for them.

It would have meant that both the male and the female who didn't have the strength to position a tank road wheel for installation would not be qualified to be a tracked vehicle mechanic. It would have meant that the skinny guy with no muscle mass wouldn't be made to be miserable in an infantry assignment and that the young lady who had been a successful heptathlete could be assigned to any MOS except direct combat arms (in those days).

Of course the average female, and the below average male, would not be able to be assigned to some of the more strenuous fields. That degree of fairness was not what the Congresswomen’s Caucus desired and it was scuttled.

A good book that outlines the process is Women in the Military: Flirting With Disaster.

The more things change, the more they remain the same.

Firefly
02-19-16, 16:50
Push Georgia into China.

T2C
02-19-16, 16:54
Bring back the draft. Set training tempo and standards to meet the mission.

pinzgauer
02-19-16, 18:13
I'm trying to correlate the 4 tests to real world soldier tasks.

The intent makes sense, just feels very conspicuous that certain exercises that are know to be difficult for females are absent.

But one female Marine I follow commented she could ruck, buddy drag/lift, even pushup etc with the males no problem. But pullups were her nemesis.

Just trying to mentally correlate 90lb rucks in rough terrain (not uncommon IN task) and their new tests

I'd feel better with a roadwheel mount, Wrench turning test for AR. Ruck, run under load, drag, etc for IN.

ABNAK
02-19-16, 21:55
There was a move to do this is the 70's as the Armed Forces faced the reality of going to the all volunteer force. The idea was to get with the department of labor and do job task analysis of the physical (and I assume mental) requirements of all military jobs and develop entry standards for them.

It would have meant that both the male and the female who didn't have the strength to position a tank road wheel for installation would not be qualified to be a tracked vehicle mechanic. It would have meant that the skinny guy with no muscle mass wouldn't be made to be miserable in an infantry assignment and that the young lady who had been a successful heptathlete could be assigned to any MOS except direct combat arms (in those days).

Of course the average female, and the below average male, would not be able to be assigned to some of the more strenuous fields. That degree of fairness was not what the Congresswomen’s Caucus desired and it was scuttled.

A good book that outlines the process is Women in the Military: Flirting With Disaster.

The more things change, the more they remain the same.

Except that when I went in (1983) Basic Training is what got you into shape. I couldn't run a mile when I went in but was running 5 miles by the time I graduated. What they're talking about is (I assume) pre-Army fitness. Glad they didn't do that back in the day as "off the street" I wouldn't likely have made the cut for Infantry. After 3 months at Benning I sure did!

26 Inf
02-20-16, 00:12
Except that when I went in (1983) Basic Training is what got you into shape. I couldn't run a mile when I went in but was running 5 miles by the time I graduated. What they're talking about is (I assume) pre-Army fitness. Glad they didn't do that back in the day as "off the street" I wouldn't likely have made the cut for Infantry. After 3 months at Benning I sure did!

There is that. I was in pretty good shape when I went in, I'd run cross country, swam and lifted all throughout junior high and high school. Marine Boot kicked my ass. I had no problems with the runs, but wasn't as fast out of boot camp as I was going in.

26 Inf
02-20-16, 00:16
Push Georgia into China.

I heard that when I hit jump school at Benning.

The Marine DI's were big on 'bend and thrust' 'on your belly, on your back' and 'make it rain.'

Outlander Systems
02-20-16, 07:57
"Light coat of sweat"