PDA

View Full Version : Geissele MK8 or URX4?

drtywk
02-20-16, 12:45
I am looking for a new 14.5"/15" rail for my Recce build and am trying to decide between the 15" Geissele MK8 MLOK and the soon to be released Knights 14.5" URX4 MLOK rail. Has anyone used the MK8/MK4 on an SPR type rifle or the Keymod URX4? Any thoughts as to which one would provide a more stable platform for a bipod. I have a 15" KMR, but don't think I will be using it for this application, so I am wanting to see if anyone has used the two rails I am looking for, understanding that the URX4 handguard is coming, but there are KM versions out there.

PrivateCitizen
02-20-16, 13:05
I just recently picked up a Mk8 MLOK 13" for a 16" RECCE type build.

It is phenomenally constructed, fits like a glove and is the pinnacle of the design. Beautiful.

But I wouldn't buy it again and will probably sell it soon.

After using a KMR (which I sold because I prefer the MLOK) the shape of the slab sided tubes versus the "4 Rail" + design is significant for me.

The URX4 looks nice but I am personally gravitating toward the DD MLOK that is also around the bend. If I were in a hurry I'd probably grab a Troy or SLR Ion Light. ALG if budget were a huge factor.

I always like the VTAC Alpha and the new MLOKs/KeyMODs are the evolution.

Again, the Geissele is the masterpiece of the generation. But I find the others beyond its space.

556BlackRifle
02-20-16, 21:36
I was at Rainier Arms this afternoon to pick up a barrel and asked if they could bring out an MK8 for me to take a look at. The 13 inch model was out of stock but they had a 15. I think the 13 inch model would look best for the typical 16 inch build. If I was going longer (18 inch) I'd for sure go with the 15 incher. It truly is a masterpiece - first rate quality. This will be my next rail without a doubt.

Sean W.
02-20-16, 23:27
I don't like how the URX4 works as a barrel nut. Seems like the rail would act as a cheater bar if you apply pressure to it and over time COULD/POTENTIALLY/POSSIBLY loosen (not saying that it will for most use). DD's new mlok rail looks promising. I wish Geissele would make his rail a bit thinner and with better ergos.

Defaultmp3
02-20-16, 23:53
I found the KAC URX4 to be far more ergonomic than the Geissele MK8. I'd also suggest checking out the Mega Arms Wedge Lock and the Centurion Arms CMR M-LOK.

Tejasmtb
02-21-16, 01:15
While the G rails are quite possibly the most stunningly crafted rails made I dont find them ergonomically pleasing. The URX4 is a great rail and in the KM flavor it's an extremely comfortable rail but in MLOK I find it the same as pretty much every other MLOK rail. By design the MLOK rails tend to be shaped just like the quad rails of the last decade and to find that comfortable one must use panels to alleviate the hard lines.

JG007
02-21-16, 01:17
Geissele mk9 rail is coming out soon and BG said it's even cooler than the mk1

RAM Engineer
02-21-16, 07:57
Geissele mk9 rail is coming out soon and BG said it's even cooler than the mk1

Any hints as to what makes it "cooler"?

BoringGuy45
02-21-16, 20:05
Is the Mk8 any stronger or more robust than the ALG EMR handguards? What makes it $80 better than the EMR?

.46caliber
02-21-16, 20:15
Is the Mk8 any stronger or more robust than the ALG EMR handguards? What makes it $80 better than the EMR?

Good part of the extra cost is the additional machine time. The G rails start as a heftier extrusion and spend more time being cut.The Geissele nut requires no timing, not that timing the EMR is particularly challenging. The trick wrench makes it pretty easy, but with the shims it takes more time to complete.

Primus Pilum
02-22-16, 11:18
The Geissele is a better product and a better value. $225 and it includes a free low pro gas block. The URX 4 is nothing special and doesn't really offer anything over the KMR alpha or similar rails. Now a URX2 or URX 3.1, that is a hard rail to beat.

Just make sure you get the right size if you plan to run a can. The G rail does not have alot of room to fit a can inside of it, so make sure you have enough room if you have a reflex can.

My latest build is a BCM 11.5 BFH + 9.5 Mk8 + G gas block + Griffin Battlecomp. Having installed every rail on the market, the Mk4 and MK8 are the most solid designs and lockups out there. They can be a real bitch durring the install becuase the barrel nut fits friction tight on the rail. Once it is locked in you adjust the wing screws and its not going anywhere.

Kinetic development makes a great little QD moint for the mlock if that's your thing.

HardToHandle
02-22-16, 19:56
The Geissele is a better product and a better value. $225 and it includes a free low pro gas block. Having installed every rail on the market, the Mk4 and MK8 are the most solid designs and lockups out there. They can be a real bitch durring the install becuase the barrel nut fits friction tight on the rail. Once it is locked in you adjust the wing screws and its not going anywhere.

I will second this description. The Geissele are compact, svelte rails that seem nearly bomb proof. Only complaint is the limited internal volume, a direct consequence of being so co,pact.

Primus Pilum
02-22-16, 22:04
I will second this description. The Geissele are compact, svelte rails that seem nearly bomb proof. Only complaint is the limited internal volume, a direct consequence of being so co,pact.

Yea the ID is one of the downfalls. I wish they would have designed the corners so they pushed out further from the ID center so you could use the angled Mlock channels better. I tried to mount a scout light in there, but it's to tight with the rail clamp. It would also free up some ID to run cans under there and some of the fatter adjustable gas blocks would then be usable.

Still the best rail on the market IMO.

REdruM0351
02-23-16, 16:18
Yea the ID is one of the downfalls. I wish they would have designed the corners so they pushed out further from the ID center so you could use the angled Mlock channels better. I tried to mount a scout light in there, but it's to tight with the rail clamp. It would also free up some ID to run cans under there and some of the fatter adjustable gas blocks would then be usable.

Still the best rail on the market IMO.

Do you think the attachment method by Kinect would work with the angled mlok cuts?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x27g4TNuvnM&feature=youtu.be

Primus Pilum
02-23-16, 16:24
Do you think the attachment method by Kinect would work with the angled mlok cuts?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x27g4TNuvnM&feature=youtu.be

No sir. That is the exact one I bought and was expecting to be able to use. The channel is too narrow for the levers to engage. Tried with a surefire scout, TLR-1 and legacy surefire 6P in weaver mount. None of them worked which is a shame. The Kinect is a great little product though it is a bit tall. Would like a lower profile for a closer mount at the 3 oclock.

There may be other products that work. Would need a rail that is about 1/8 of an inch taller to clear the corners if you want to mount it at 1:30 or any of the corners.

REdruM0351
02-23-16, 16:33
No sir. That is the exact one I bought and was expecting to be able to use. The channel is too narrow for the levers to engage. Tried with a surefire scout, TLR-1 and legacy surefire 6P in weaver mount. None of them worked which is a shame. The Kinect is a great little product though it is a bit tall. Would like a lower profile for a closer mount at the 3 oclock.

There may be other products that work. Would need a rail that is about 1/8 of an inch taller to clear the corners if you want to mount it at 1:30 or any of the corners.

That is just sad to here. Lol

Thanks for the prompt reply.

TexasAggie2005
02-23-16, 18:19
Why not use one of Arisaka's inline scout or ring mounts?

JoshNC
02-24-16, 08:44
Why not use one of Arisaka's inline scout or ring mounts?

While I think the kdg option is cool, I really can only see myself using it for bipod mounting. When it comes to lights, Arisaka has become my go-to. In my opinion AD has the best options hands down. Well designed, well executed, and reasonably priced.

EO3
02-24-16, 10:15
+1 for MK8. Absolutely beautiful machining and finish. I actually find them fairly comfortable, as well. Also a +1 to the Arisaka mounts. Especially for the 45 degree mounts on the MK8, they're perfect.

ar_noob
02-24-16, 12:05
I have a Mk8 on my 16" Carbine and I love it, so solid, plus it looks cool.

South
02-24-16, 18:30
While I think the kdg option is cool, I really can only see myself using it for bipod mounting. When it comes to lights, Arisaka has become my go-to. In my opinion AD has the best options hands down. Well designed, well executed, and reasonably priced.

+1 Arisaka is one of the best solutions out there for mounting accessories.

drtywk
02-25-16, 00:02
I have a Mk8 on my 16" Carbine and I love it, so solid, plus it looks cool.

13" or 15"?

ar_noob
02-25-16, 00:15
13" or 15"?

I have the 13".

mack7.62
02-25-16, 07:06
I don't like the feel of the MK8, I might try the ALG.

drtywk
02-25-16, 11:29
I have the 15".

Do you have any pictures?

ar_noob
02-25-16, 11:34
Do you have any pictures?

http://smith-wessonforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=225312&d=1454566818

drtywk
02-25-16, 11:53
Looks good, thanks.

PrivateCitizen
02-25-16, 14:32
http://smith-wessonforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=225312&d=1454566818

Is that really a 15" on a 16" barrel?

It looks like my 13" for the build I am on starting.

Mine is a Mk8 13" on a 16" with Griffin FlashComp:

http://dragonfly-media.com/_img/g/ar/mk18_13.jpg

PatrioticDisorder
02-25-16, 15:18

That's been one of my hang ups with Keymod & MLOK, no practical easy way to quick detach your scout light. For me it's a matter of being able to take off the light to help take off the can (Surefire SOCOM RC/mini). I think that is another area where the KDG Kinect will shine.

ar_noob
02-25-16, 17:12
Is that really a 15" on a 16" barrel?

It looks like my 13" for the build I am on starting.

Mine is a Mk8 13" on a 16" with Griffin FlashComp:

Well that's embarrassing, yes it's a 13", dunno why I had 15" in my head, but it's definitely a 13" - apologies for claiming otherwise! :agree:

Kenneth
02-25-16, 17:22
Like all guys we say things are a little bigger then what they are...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the automator
02-26-16, 08:46
I have a Geissele handguard on all my rifles just for the ease of installation. Torque the barrel nut, slide on the rail, align it, then tighten 2 bolts and 2 screws. Takes all of 5 minutes.