PDA

View Full Version : Geissele SD3G vs Wilson TTU single stage

GH41
02-20-16, 17:45
I recently put an SDE in my do everything rifle. While it would be a fine trigger for precision use it's just too edgy to me for everyday use. I put SDC springs in but the change was minor. I made a mistake... I should have got a single stage trigger. I don't compete but a three gun trigger would probably suit my purposes. Nothing longer than IPSC targets at 100 with a red dot. Mostly close targets at speed. Has anyone owned and compared the TTU to the SD3G? Geissele and Wilson both say 4# but the reviews seem to indicate both are considerably less. TIA

EODbusch
02-20-16, 18:16
I don't have experience with the SD3G, but do have the TTU and Geissele's SSA-E. I like using 2 stage triggers for more precision shooting, so if that's not what this gun is for I would highly recommend the TTU! It may not feel like a 4# trigger because of how smooth and crisp it breaks. I guarantee you love it if you go that route!

titsonritz
02-20-16, 18:50
I do not have experience with either of those specific triggers but I will say I am leery of unitized triggers in general.

Mikill Drengr
02-20-16, 19:42
I'm currently shooting a Geissle SD3G, I'm a fan of single stage triggers and I do like it. Never used the Wilson but I just tried a Hiperfire 24C and may get one of those. It's a great feeling trigger for fast shooting.

GH41
02-20-16, 19:45
I do not have experience with either of those specific triggers but I will say I am leery of unitized triggers in general.

Please tell me why? The standard FCG is "unitized" until you knock the pins out. What can you do to the standard trigger by taking it apart??? Nothing CLP and compressed air can't do to a cassette trigger.

titsonritz
02-20-16, 21:13
Easier to get a blown primer or torn shell casing rim wedged in there and lock up the works.

Kenneth
02-21-16, 04:13
The SD3G is awesome. It's scary fast and if your not careful you can bump fire from the shoulder. It takes a little getting used to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

b2dap1
02-21-16, 05:59
I have an SSA and a TTU Mil-Spec. I absolutely love the TTU! Its a single stage thats about 4.5 pounds. The reset is absolutely amazing. I can't say enough good things about the TTU Mil-Spec. Ive put it through 2 classes and a few thousand rounds.

GH41
02-21-16, 06:56
Easier to get a blown primer or torn shell casing rim wedged in there and lock up the works.

I know what you mean but the Wilson looks like it would be easier to deal with than a standard trigger.

Brahmzy
02-21-16, 08:05
TTUs get my vote and my dollars. Superior to the G triggers. Not convinced about the reliability argument either. The TTU in particular seals up a good portion of the FCG area preventing crap from getting down in there.

quackhead
02-21-16, 11:00
I have the SSA and SD3G. Both are good triggers. I wasn't a fan of 2 stage triggers ( and I tried a bunch) until I got the SSA. i find it hard to pick one over the other- I would have to give a slight nod to the SSA for longer distance use. I have used the SD3G with great results from 3-400 meters

carolvs
02-21-16, 11:04
TTU is the crispest single stage trigger you will find outside of a tuned 1911.

mkmckinley
02-21-16, 11:12
TTUs get my vote and my dollars. Superior to the G triggers. Not convinced about the reliability argument either. The TTU in particular seals up a good portion of the FCG area preventing crap from getting down in there.

That's my conclusion as well. I'd like to see some real testing to see if there's a statistically significant difference between the two styles but I'm not going to be the one to throw dirt in my FCG. Maybe one of these day's I'll pour five or ten spent primers into two lowers and see which one chokes first.

to the OP: I have various Geiselle triggers and a just got a single stage TTU and I like the Wilson a little better than the others for a crisp singe-stage. I haven't used any of the other TTU's but if you want a fast, rolling trigger get the Geiselle and if you want the crispiest single stage break get the TTU.

TinyCrumb
02-26-16, 20:50
Would love to bump this up for some more feedback if anyone else has experience with both.

Also, how does the standard TTU single stage compare to the 3 gun model. Looks like the 3 gun model is 2-stage (which seems weird to me, given the Geissele 3 gun trigger is single stage).

And also, for the TTU single / S3G discussion, is there one in particular that can be shot "faster"?

lmbass14
03-01-16, 20:52
This is an exciting thread for me. I'm getting schooled big time.

I do have a TTU and a Geissele G2S. The vote is for the TTU hands down. Yes I know I'm comparing $270 vs. $129, so it's not really fair.

Surprises me Wilson Combat or Geissele don't have reps or tech support people here.

Brahmzy
03-01-16, 21:26
WilsonCombatRep used to have a massive presence on pretty much every forum out there - not so much any more.

ExplorinInTheWoods
03-02-16, 15:28
So I have the SD3G, SSA-E, I've shot the wilson TTU 2 stage, I also own a timney 4.5, and the ALG ACT. For shooting fast/competition style the SD3G is awesome, the timney is right behind it, the bow feels better on the SD3G so that's why I prefer it. I know the thread is asking about the wilson single stage but it can't be too different from the 2 stage. I personally didn't like the wilson, it wasn't as bad as say a rock river 2 stage which I thought was horrible but it's no SSA-E. The reset felt better on my SSA-E and just feels better to me. THE SD3G isn't a true single stage it's like a rolling single stage which honestly is almost how you can run the SSA-E. The SD3G should've come with a 3.5 and 4.5 spring. If you want a single stage trigger that isn't going to be too light you should look at the ACT from ALG it's Bill Geissele's wife's company.

Below I have a few videos of each trigger I mentioned that I own

SD3G
https://youtu.be/dONuair6Vs0 Range Review
https://youtu.be/EZxChlMF87M First Impressions

SSA-E
https://youtu.be/Il1Xqv4K-Bc Range review
https://youtu.be/KnC-oTrE90w

ACT
https://youtu.be/PoNRXDxVnHg Range Review
https://youtu.be/B-Il8SPnm8I First Impressions

GH41
03-02-16, 16:50
I trade the SDE for a SD3G. We shall see.

SAAR
03-02-16, 16:54
I currently own Geissele SSA and SSA-E triggers, but have also used the S3G and TTU.

The TTU is a great trigger, and if I was buying an expensive single stage, I'd go for this with out a doubt. Everyone shooting it with me was very complimentary, too. Saying this, the stuff ALG and JP Ent do for little money to single stage triggers is very good value.

I took a second SSA-E over the S3G. The SSA-E is fairly light, but you can feel the wall before the break, unlike the S3G. I prefer that, as it wasn't for a sporting gun. It's a very nice trigger, but if you were unconfortable with a SDE, I don't think the SD3G will be any better, maybe even a little worse.

The SSA is comparable to the TTU for me and I'd happily take either of them. For a dedicated sports gun, I'd like to try a TTU for a while again.

seedubs1
03-03-16, 11:30
No love for the CMC single stage 3.5 lb trigger here? Seems pretty comparable to a SD3G. I'm loving mine. Runs like a champ and feels really nice. Very positive reset. The break is not as crispy as my SD-E and it rolls a bit more, but the trigger is very clean, predictable, and most of all, it's fast on a 3G type gun.

Livefreeordie92
03-04-16, 08:44
I also run a TTU and love it. It's in a spikes tactical lower and has seen roughly 5500-6000 rounds with a Huldra, PSA and now a BCM (for good) upper on it. I've had probably less than 10 light strikes so at this point, I'm more likely to believe those rounds were just duds rather than the idea that a lighter trigger will have that issue. I personally trust it enough to be in my go to rifle. I also agree with Brahmzy about the TTUs being crisper than Geisseles. It just feels smoother. Nothing more I can say on that.

feraldog
03-04-16, 09:12
...I am leery of unitized triggers in general.

in 40+ years of seriously shooting ARs, i've yet to have a blown primer (i only shoot quality factory fodder), but i have had lowers with less-than-perfect pin-hole alignment. this problem ruins the feel of even top-rated triggers. because the TTU is unitized and doesn't require perfect hole tolerances, i now recommend it to folks asking me which trigger to buy. so far, i've been thrilled with the TTU.