PDA

View Full Version : Question for 1 gun with multiple uppers.

elephant
02-21-16, 17:30
Ive been thinking about consolidating all my AR's down to a just a couple and replacing with complete uppers. For instance, my SR15e3 is a 16" 556 but I would like to have a SR15 300blk 10.5 SBR suppressed and possibly a 556 14.5 SBR suppressed and switch out between uppers. Each upper would be complete with optics. Is switching out between uppers especially uppers with different calibers recommended going from 556 to 300blk? Will my optics and sights be consistent with switching out uppers or would I have to adjust every time? Would my gun experience significant wear/stress variances- should that even be a concern?

NFA question: Does the lower need to be registered for each upper because of the caliber differences? Do I need a stamp for the 10.5" 300blk and one for the 14.5" 556 or just 1 for the lower?

carbine357
02-21-16, 18:07
1 stamp will do it all. I have 3 sbr's and a batch of uppers.
defense
training
.22 for fun
7.62x39 jic the dumb shit bans .556 mags work aimpoint go to 250 yds.
don't have 9mm as I have pistol caliber carbines for that.
would have a .20 ga but never saw 1. l.o.l.
paper work only list's lower's ser # uppers don't count
years ago registered 1 in multi cal. they sent it back said pick 1. didn do that anymore.

go for it

carbine 357

Tigereye
02-21-16, 18:09
I don't have the self-restraint to have 3 uppers and 1 lower.
For the NFA question, I was told that you can have multiple uppers for the registered lower but need to be able to return the weapon to the barrel length that was approved by ATF. I don't know if that is true.

elephant
02-21-16, 18:17
I was told that you can have multiple uppers for the registered lower but need to be able to return the weapon to the barrel length that was approved by ATF.

walk me through that. I have a 16 556, I buy a 10.5 300 blackout upper and a 14.5 556 upper, when I fill out the form 1 and send it in with the $200 do I need to specify weather this is going to be a 10.5" OAL or a 14.5 OAL or 556/223 or 300blk? How do I return the weapon to the approved barrel length, swapping out the upper? Can I have a SBR lower and use a 16" upper?

Tigereye
02-21-16, 18:25
I have 2 lowers that are registered for 11.5" barrels. I was told that I could use any SBR upper, even if I chose to use a 10.3", 12", 14.5", but should be able to return it to the 11.5" if requested (presumably by ATF).

elephant
02-21-16, 18:26
I have 2 lowers that are registered for 11.5" barrels. I was told that I could use any SBR upper, even if I chose to use a 10.3", 12", 14.5", but should be able to return it to the 11.5" if requested (presumably by ATF).

ok thanks. What about going from 556 to 300blk

Tigereye
02-21-16, 18:47
I don't know. Big Waylon may be the best one to ask or one of the other guys who frequent the NFA subform.

rocket 442
02-21-16, 19:02
ok thanks. What about going from 556 to 300blk

Whatever caliber is specified on the paperwork. Example; my LGS got a screaming deal on DD 10.3 SBR's in 300 blackout. I said " hell I'll buy one, sell the upper & get one in 5.56". They said" you can't do that!, you can put another upper on it in any caliber, but it has to be able to be returned to the caliber that's on the paperwork." So if the ATF inspects it you better have an upper in the caliber specified on your paperwork.

Boba Fett v2
02-22-16, 00:03
So just don't get rid of the upper that was originally on your Form 1.

Split66
02-22-16, 00:43
You are "supposed to" notify the BATFE of a permanent change from your configuration on the form.

It's on the form1

"Change of Description or Address: The registrant shall notify the NFA Branch, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, 244 Needy Road, Martinsburg, WV 25405, in writing, of any change to the description of the firearms in item 4, or any change to the address of the registrant."

Some would tell you the "shall" means it's not mandatory. It's up to you, and not very hard to drop them a note or call.

Iraqgunz
02-22-16, 01:31
And per the BATFE website, it states it is suggested to notify them of "permanent" changes. Now let's determine what permanent means with an AR.

You are "supposed to" notify the BATFE of a permanent change from your configuration on the form.

It's on the form1

"Change of Description or Address: The registrant shall notify the NFA Branch, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, 244 Needy Road, Martinsburg, WV 25405, in writing, of any change to the description of the firearms in item 4, or any change to the address of the registrant."

Some would tell you the "shall" means it's not mandatory. It's up to you, and not very hard to drop them a note or call.

7.62NATO
02-22-16, 08:17

It's on the form1

There is no ambiguity with "shall notify." It is likely most SBR owners don't provide the required notification when switching uppers.

Split66
02-22-16, 14:56
And per the BATFE website, it states it is suggested to notify them of "permanent" changes. Now let's determine what permanent means with an AR.

It's swapping one of your uppers with a Carbon 15 upper. You have permanently soiled the weapon.

henschman
02-24-16, 13:51
Ive been thinking about consolidating all my AR's down to a just a couple and replacing with complete uppers. For instance, my SR15e3 is a 16" 556 but I would like to have a SR15 300blk 10.5 SBR suppressed and possibly a 556 14.5 SBR suppressed and switch out between uppers. Each upper would be complete with optics. Is switching out between uppers especially uppers with different calibers recommended going from 556 to 300blk? Will my optics and sights be consistent with switching out uppers or would I have to adjust every time? Would my gun experience significant wear/stress variances- should that even be a concern?

NFA question: Does the lower need to be registered for each upper because of the caliber differences? Do I need a stamp for the 10.5" 300blk and one for the 14.5" 556 or just 1 for the lower?

There are no issues swapping out uppers, even in different calibers. Since the barreled action and sights are all on the upper, no re-zeroing will be necessary. There are no issues with wear or stress on the lower in the calibers you're talking about, either.

I personally have 3 different lowers (rifle, carbine, and SBR) that I swap my various uppers around on. There are no issues whatsoever with doing this.

As far as the NFA stuff goes, the way the ATF looks at it, if the gun can be readily changed back to the configuration listed on the Form 1 (like pinning an upper back on a lower), it's not a "permanent" change in configuration, and doesn't require notification.

_Stormin_
02-27-16, 06:52
There is no ambiguity with "shall notify." It is likely most SBR owners don't provide the required notification when switching uppers.

"Shall" is one of those complete PITA words in law.

In most contracts it's a command. Many courts have "interpreted" the word to mean that one "should." There is one very easy resolution though. When talking about statues, the law has almost always sided with the command concept. What happens when carry permits are "SHALL ISSUE" and CLEO forms are "SHALL SIGN." The person is commanded that they must do so.

That said, I can't find one case of anyone switching uppers and being prosecuted for it. If you're concerned that you registered a "300" caliber weapon but are now only going to own a "223" caliber weapon, simply notify them. It's not a new stamp, it's a letter.