PDA

View Full Version : Well there you have it... Froglube is made from Coconut oil... probably.

TheChunkNorris
02-21-16, 23:40
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/02/21/froglube-is-probably-made-from-coconut-oil-not-frogs/

Last month Andrew Tuohy published a blog post comparing FrogLube with two other lubricants TrackLube+ (a rollercoaster lubricant) and Seal1, another gun lube. He commissioned a infrared spectroscopy analysis of the three lubes and found they were virtually identical chemically, despite being different in color and smell.

Meanwhile Schnips at North Eastern Shooters was also investigating Floglube. He asked his brother, a Chemistry PhD student at UConn, to run at IR Spectrometer over Froglube and compare it to other oils. They discovered that Froglube is coconut oil plus a small amount of additives. Aside from the obvious Froglube smell, forum users speculate it also contains additives to prevent the oil from solidifying in cooler weather. Coconut oil has a relatively high melting point of 76 degrees (24 celsius).

Frugube have always been upfront that their product is 100% bio-based with no synthetic components. If you are happy with Froglube keep using it. This analysis changes nothing. Straight coconut oil (no additives) is probably not a good alternative to Froglube if you (unless you live in the tropics).

If you want a cheaper alternative, you can’t beat synthetic motor oil for price. Many people claim it performs just as well as any expensive gun oil. I can’t help but wonder if we are hitting “peak gun oil”. The market is saturated with gun oil brands. They all work well, as do non gun specific oils.

Well there you go guys... "Froglube is coconut oil plus a small amount of additives." At least it smells good. *Froglube guys who bashed FireClean in 1... 2... 3... GO!*

CLHC
02-21-16, 23:49
It's "edible" to!

wildcard600
02-22-16, 00:11
Meh... no surprised.

Used it for a while and had issues with it gumming up and getting sticky, despite following the companies instructions. Would not buy again.

YMMV

Uprange41
02-22-16, 00:18
We already had a thread about this that either got locked or moved or ignored (rightfully so, after the Fireclean shit show).

Zane1844
02-22-16, 00:19
Interesting, my buddy knew right away it was coconut oil after handling it.

I have done one application of it on my G26 followed with the liquid drops applied frequently. I have almost shot 3k, including shooting this Winter down to 15-20 degrees with no issues.

Airhasz
02-22-16, 00:39
Never fell for their marketing.:)

TheChunkNorris
02-22-16, 00:57
We already had a thread about this that either got locked or moved or ignored (rightfully so, after the Fireclean shit show).

Hmmmm I must've missed it because that article is the first I've ever heard of it. I also vaguely remember many Froglube guys bashing Fireclean.

Interesting, my buddy knew right away it was coconut oil after handling it.

I have done one application of it on my G26 followed with the liquid drops applied frequently. I have almost shot 3k, including shooting this Winter down to 15-20 degrees with no issues.

Everyone has their own preferences and I don't believe it makes the product bad. There's a lot of success stories like yours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iraqgunz
02-22-16, 01:57
Same thread, different poster a few days ago was also trashed. Sometimes a train wreck can be avoided if you stop the train.