PDA

View Full Version : FDA approves device to treat GSW

WillBrink
02-22-16, 11:35
Out of my lane, but I though this might be of interest as a device that has crossed over from mil to civilian use as possible emergency kit

Life-saving battlefield device now ready to help civilians

When a victim suffers a gunshot wound, seconds matter. Depending on where the bullet enters, that time could mean life or death.

A team at RevMedx, Inc. in Wilsonville, Oregon, came up with a device to help mitigate excessive bleeding.

It's called XStat, and is a syringe-like applicator filled with 92 medically designed sponges that absorb blood and exert pressure on trauma wounds to stop blood from exiting the body.

the FDA cleared XStat for military use in 2014, and U.S. Special Operations purchased hundreds.

Sergeant Major Kyle Sims, a combat medic with U.S. Special Operations, said XStat has been used in a partner force in the field.

"They couldn't get the bleeding to stop in his leg and they ended up using the XStat dressing," Sims said, adding that the surgeon on location had never seen the device. "He was quite impressed and he ended up pretty amazed that it worked as effectively as it did."

For hemorrhages in areas with major blood vessels like the shoulder and groin, where XStat is intended for use, Sims says it's a tough art to pack a wound using traditional methods like gauze to stop the bleeding.

"It might take you four to give minutes to get that wound taken care of, whereas with XStat, it takes 10 to 20 seconds to get all the dressing in place," said Sims.

Cont:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/life-saving-battlefield-device-now-ready-to-help-civilians/

MountainRaven
02-22-16, 12:18
May not be a hovercar or a summer home on the moon, but it sure looks like the future to me.

BH321
02-22-16, 13:42
My only real concern is the removal of the sponges. Even removing traditional gauze can be an issue if you don't know how much was initially used to pack the wound. Other than that, it looks like a brilliant idea and I truly hope it succeeds at what it is designed to do.

davidz71
02-22-16, 14:42
I remember hearing about this a number of months ago and wondered at that time if the sponges were biodegradable or if they would cause problems later on if they missed any as BH321 was concerned about.

TAZ
02-22-16, 18:04
My only real concern is the removal of the sponges. Even removing traditional gauze can be an issue if you don't know how much was initially used to pack the wound. Other than that, it looks like a brilliant idea and I truly hope it succeeds at what it is designed to do.

hopefully, someone thought to make these things visible on xray, so that they can be accounted for relatively easier than waiting for an infection.

FromMyColdDeadHand
02-22-16, 18:07

String them together? Kind like a tampon meets BenWa balls.

Moose-Knuckle
02-24-16, 02:46
My only real concern is the removal of the sponges.

My first thought when I clicked the link.

Voodoo_Man
02-24-16, 07:41
FDA, late to the party as always....

http://i.imgur.com/mz6dRhI.jpg

That's a Celox Blood Clotting Granule Applicator and Plunger Set. (http://goo.gl/ioVMFj)

Hmac
02-24-16, 08:30
I could see such a device as useful in limited circumstances...treating penetrating wounds in the field (maybe in the ED) where a tourniquet or pressure dressing aren't practical or possible (ie shoulder or groin). This stuff is different than the Celox granules...its primary function is the expansion of the little sponges and the resultant pressure that it puts on the bleeding site in addition to the chitosan, as opposed to Celox which is primarily about the hemostatic properties of chitosan, no tamponade. For a penetrating wound of shoulder or groin, this XStat stuff would likely be more effective than Celox, but overall, given the most common types of wounds in the civilian and non-LEO world, Celox would likely be more useful to spend money on and carry. IMHO it's going to probably have the broadest applicability with the lowest number of potential complications.

The little sponges would all need to be removed at definitive treatment of the wound in the OR (that may or may not be difficult), so routine X-ray would need to be done before finishing to track all the little buggers down.I do wonder about the possibility that one of these little things might find its way into a major vein and float off into the lungs. That would be bad.